pixeltracker

Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews- Page 9

Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews

broadwayguy2
#200Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/19/15 at 7:15pm

The show has been running for a year. To my understanding, it has been staged that way from the beginning. Since it is an AEA show, you are required to maintain the same number of actors, so she would not be doing double duty.

i took it merely as displaying one way that deaf persons communicate(d) with those around them. Someone close to them acting as their translator. 

Eliza2
#201Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/20/15 at 10:45am

TDF ticket locations, anyone? 

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#202Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/20/15 at 10:57pm

Eliza2 said: "TDF ticket locations, anyone? "

Tonight I was in row E of the center orchestra--one seat off the aisle

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#203Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/21/15 at 12:53am

Lauren's character is Thea's sister, and her sister communicates for Thea. It's a little different than the other roles because Melitta is also her own character while communicating for her sister. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#204Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/21/15 at 2:24am

That final moment. I don't even like the musical, but it got me. 

Also, THIS is how to apply a "concept" to a musical revival. It makes perfect sense, thematically. It makes the show smarter than it is. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#205Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/21/15 at 9:01am

Agreed. With Big River I also felt like they lifted the material past what it was.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#206Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/21/15 at 9:58am

I really appreciated the notion of the final moment, but I thought the execution was a little too fake for me. Would've preferred something more abstract, instead of something literal, that wasn't even that convincing. 

Scarywarhol
#207Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/21/15 at 11:56am

Spoilers:

I agree that the "forest" was not entirely convincing, but for me having it be the first literal set piece made it really shocking and effective for me. 

But what I found so gut-wrenching wasn't that bit, but the final moment immediately following. The adults left alone in silence, having been forced to let go. 

Scarywarhol
#208Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/21/15 at 12:12pm

BUT for God's sake, get rid of the fake-out ending. The black-out/long pause between "Those You've Known" and "Purple Summer" is just so cheap--it almost comes off as smug. Like it's a reluctant encore? People around me were audibly grumbling when they realized it wasn't over. 

BroadwayFan1231
#209Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/21/15 at 12:32pm

I had TDF tickets Friday night -- in Orchestra row H about 4-5 seats off the center aisle. 

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#210Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/21/15 at 12:47pm

Through TDF, we were in n row L seats 21 and 23 (the second and third off the aisle). Our view was a bit blocked but we didn't miss anything really important.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#211Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/21/15 at 8:37pm

Saw this last night.  3rd row on the aisle. Paid full price for a ticket which i have not done in ago time.  I have never seen the original

I was shaking and weeping several times during the show  - not usu for this grown man   As a father whose son attempted the same thing as Moritz I lost it then and it continued through the show 

Arden's direction and use of ASL is masterful

I cannot belie with is Austin Mackenzies first show   He was a perfect Melchior. Krysta Rodriquez was so touching and strong as Ilsa.  David Durent and Alex Boniello were riveting as Moritz. Mannheim was perfect as was page (who is always perfect) 

i I loved this production    

VintageSnarker
#212Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/21/15 at 10:32pm

"Saw this last night and enjoyed it pretty thoroughly.  I'm sure they're still ironing out some rough spots, and those projections need to be handled in such a way that EVERYBODY IN THE THEATER CAN SEE THEM, GODDAMMIT."

While this production didn't have as big of an impact on me as it did on others I would rather like to read an interview with him and gain more insight into some of the choices he made. I think it would be worth seeing the show again, maybe from the mezzanine as some have suggested to better take everything in.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#213Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/22/15 at 12:13am

Had Mezz a tonight (TDF) ---- excellent seat !!!

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#214Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/22/15 at 12:18am

Cute moment tonight ---- Ali Stroker read the names of the lottery winners----  

The show--- each time I see it, the direction amazes me even more !!! 

PJPan
#215Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/22/15 at 9:05am

The final moment was pretty effective for me too, Scarywarhol, especially with the women, both of whose withholdings led to their children's ends.

This was my first time seeing the show on stage, having only listened to the original cast recording since it came out. I'm glad I read Arden's note about those who couldn't lip read in the past being thought of as failures since it informed Moritz's first act story (and clarified why some were signing but singing and some not). Moritz and Ilsa tugged at me the most, as did Wendla in Act 2 when she struggles to understand. It was an enjoyable introduction to the show, particularly fun for me having some good friends in the cast. A well done show.

bekk99 Profile Photo
bekk99
#216Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/22/15 at 10:53pm

Does anyone know when the actual opening is? It's set for Sunday 9/27 - is it the listed matinee at 3 or an unlisted evening performance. Hoping they still do lottery!

Carmilla
#217Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/22/15 at 10:59pm

Opening is Sunday night. I asked at the box office earlier today- regular tickets have not been released to the general public, and they might end up releasing some tickets (but expect them to be marked up.) Box office wasn't sure about lotto, but said it wasn't likely.

Updated On: 9/23/15 at 10:59 PM

bekk99 Profile Photo
bekk99
#218Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/23/15 at 3:20pm

Thanks Carmilla. Any word on what time?

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#219Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/23/15 at 5:39pm

bekk99 said: "Thanks Carmilla. Any word on what time?

"

It's at 7:30pm. Their regular Sunday schedule. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

Jace2017
#220Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/23/15 at 10:09pm

I was wondering does Rodriguez still wear the wig for act 1? In the b-roll she has hear natural hair during the act 1 clips.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#221Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/23/15 at 10:10pm

On Friday, Krysta didn't wear wig at any point during the show. 

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Jace2017
#222Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/23/15 at 10:14pm

Thanks Little Sally! Could anyone also explain what exactly happens at the end that is so moving? I haven't gotten to see the show yet. Hopefully I get to go in December.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#223Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/23/15 at 10:20pm

little_sally said: "On Friday, Krysta didn't wear wig at any point during the show. "

She didn't when I saw it earlier in the week last week either.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#224Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/23/15 at 10:53pm

Can someone explain to me what an above poster meant when he said the blackout between Those You've Known and Song of Purple Summer is "so cheap it comes off smug." 

What!!!!?????????????

I saw this last night and I think that the last 10-15 minutes are some of the most effective moments in the entire show. 

Updated On: 9/23/15 at 10:53 PM