pixeltracker

Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording "First Listen"- Page 4

Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording "First Listen"

willep
#75Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/21/15 at 10:48pm

Is every word/line from the show on the album? Curious to know if any cuts were made.

From the NPR link: "Listening-only is how Hamilton will be experienced by most people. Miranda has certainly made it easy — there's no line of dialog said onstage that isn't on the tracks below."

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#76Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/21/15 at 10:48pm

LOVED the show. Not loving the album. I'll give it another listen when it's released on the 25th...

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#77Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/21/15 at 10:55pm

What's missing between Dear Theodosia and Non-Stop?

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#78Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/21/15 at 10:59pm

asmith0307 said: "Does anyone know where the DMX "Up in Here" reference is? I missed it when I saw the show in August, and I think I missed it again when I was listening to it today. "

After Ten Duel Commandments, with Washington/the ensemble's "meet me inside...meet him inside...meet him, meet him inside." ("One, two, meet me outside, meet me outside..." )

Updated On: 9/21/15 at 10:59 PM

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#79Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/21/15 at 11:06pm

Ahhh, really want to listen to the whole thing. But, I want to save myself for next year if/when I see it!

asmith0307
#80Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/21/15 at 11:29pm

Anakela said: "asmith0307 said: "Does anyone know where the DMX "Up in Here" reference is? I missed it when I saw the show in August, and I think I missed it again when I was listening to it today. "

After Ten Duel Commandments, with Washington/the ensemble's "meet me inside...meet him inside...meet him, meet him inside." ("One, two, meet me outside, meet me outside..." )"

Now that you point that out, I kind of hear it. I was expecting something slightly more obvious from a friend's reaction when I mentioned that there was a DMX reference in there somewhere. 

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#81Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 12:38am

mariel9 said: "What's missing between Dear Theodosia and Non-Stop?"

If you haven't seen the show yet, I rather not spoil it for you. I can see why it's not on the OBCR because it's more of a scene with a reprise of The History of Tonight in the background.

CoreyRyan3
#82Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 12:44am

I can't stop listening to "Wait for It", "The Room Where it Happens" and "The World Was Wide Enough". 

SO happy to have Leslie Odom Jr's incredible performance preserved here and in such fantastic fashion. 

Skip2 Profile Photo
Skip2
#83Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 12:47am

This reminds me of every Sondheim show.

One should see it once before listening to the song.  Just to let it wash over you.

Then study the score and go see it again.  It's a whole different, new show.

Especially this show - I missed 3/4 of the lyrics the first time.  Had a really hard time liking it.

Second viewing:  liked better - just because I knew what the hell was going on.

Third viewing:  Started developing my obsessions about the show.

Fourth viewing:  Full blown obsession.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#84Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 4:10am

I also love how clear and accessible this recording's storytelling has proven to be. I was wondering about this beforehand, but can now verify that no show attendance, US history background, synopsis, visuals, or doorstop biography-reading is required to understand what's going on.

Updated On: 9/22/15 at 04:10 AM

MyLife
#85Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 8:41am

sorano916 said: "Anyone who's seen the show, did get the feeling of something missing between "Dear Theodosia" and "Non-Stop"? I mean, I always get touched by the scene/song that's between those two songs so yeah, there's something literally missing but the connection was also missing. ^^;;; I can't really put it into words.

"

Yes, I noticed that too and it was upsetting to me. I share your sentiments exactly, no words needed. I was hoping it was just this NPR version that was missing it, since the article says every word in the show appears on the album but given the track listing I think it's just gone Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording .

MyLife
#86Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 8:45am

Skip2 said: "This reminds me of every Sondheim show.

One should see it once before listening to the song.  Just to let it wash over you.

Then study the score and go see it again.  It's a whole different, new show.

Especially this show - I missed 3/4 of the lyrics the first time.  Had a really hard time liking it.

Second viewing:  liked better - just because I knew what the hell was going on.

Third viewing:  Started developing my obsessions about the show.

Fourth viewing:  Full blown obsession.

"

This. Yes. With every viewing comes brand new discovery and appreciation. It's like one of those choose-your-own-path books. Do you want to focus more on the lyrics today? Choreography? Direction? Orchestrations? Do you want to watch Hamilton? Burr? one specific ensemble member? There is so much to see watching it as a whole but in some ways even more to see when you analyze and study the intricacies, one at a time. It's astounding.

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#87Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 9:01am

Oh, I remember what's missing between Theodosia and Non-Stop. Hmmm. Someone on Twitter asked about Eliza's scream when a thing happens (are we avoiding spoilers?) and Lin said he saved some stuff for the theater. And I just checked his Twitter and he confirmed the scene after Theodosia is missing bc he wants it live.

Updated On: 9/22/15 at 09:01 AM

MyLife
#88Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 10:05am

I noticed the scream missing as well. I suppose those make sense. These are both dramatic moments that  work better live. Of course, selfishly, I want it all Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording .

I'm sure Lin thought long and hard about what to include and what to save and the end result is a beautifully captured album

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#89Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 10:19am

I hesitated to listen to this as I thought I'd need the printed libretto to catch everything... Nevertheless, I listened and understood every word. What a fantastic recording!

jessejaehoon
#90Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 11:12am

mariel9 said: "What's missing between Dear Theodosia and Non-Stop?"

[SPOLIERS, I guess? It's American history]

Right after "Dear Theodosia," there's a reprise of "Story of Tonight," where we find out John Laurens (Anthony Ramos) has been killed. Hamilton says "I have so much work to do," and that's when "Non-Stop" begins.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#91Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 11:26am

Listening at work again today ... and not getting much work done! It's pretty hard to not focus on the lyrics when it's playing in the background. :) 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#92Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 11:29am

Woke up to this full review. One LOVES broadway, the other LOVES mainstream stuff. So funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuOa2rTXyVE

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#93Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 12:21pm

I'm very interested in seeing this live now that I've heard the recording. There is no doubt that this is incredible material - my only problem is I'm having a hard time finding it entertaining. It's just a lot of facts facts facts facts and I cant imagine myself listening to this constantly.

RW3
#94Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 12:33pm

Two things:

1. RENEE ELISE GOLDSBERRY. SATISFIED. JESUS CHRIST. IT'S SO GOOD.

2. It's Quiet Uptown just cuts you. I fell into a million different pieces after listening to it.

mpd4165
#95Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 12:34pm

RW3 said: "Two things:

1. RENEE ELISE GOLDSBERRY. SATISFIED. JESUS CHRIST. IT'S SO GOOD.

2. It's Quiet Uptown just cuts you. I fell into a million different pieces after listening to it.

"

I finally caved and listened to Satisfied and was just destroyed. JEEZ. 

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#96Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 12:44pm

RW3 said: 

It's Quiet Uptown just cuts you. I fell into a million different pieces after listening to it."

This is one of the songs I've really been impatiently waiting to hear again. It really guts you. I was there the night the Bidens were in attendance and could see them from my seat. Having just lost their son and living in the public eye I couldn't imagine how much deeper meaning that song held. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

serene_embers
#97Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 12:48pm

RW3 said: "Two things: 1. RENEE ELISE GOLDSBERRY. SATISFIED. JESUS CHRIST. IT'S SO GOOD. 2. It's Quiet Uptown just cuts you. I fell into a million different pieces after listening to it.

Agreed.

I'm also gutted by "Who Lives, Who Dies..."

Updated On: 9/22/15 at 12:48 PM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#98Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 1:58pm

I'm finally listening to Act 2, and as soon as It's Quiet Uptown started I started crying. Oh my God, this show.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

toofunktastic2
#99Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 3:49pm

I haven't had a chance to listen to act II but I loved everything I've heard in Act I so far especially Helpless and Satisfied.  I've also had Farmer Refuted and You'll Be Back stuck in my head all day.