pixeltracker

Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked? - Page 2

Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?

ChgoTheatreGuy Profile Photo
ChgoTheatreGuy
#25Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/1/15 at 2:14pm

My favorite WICKED memory was that after "Defying Gravity" finished and the house lights came up for the intermission, I turned around to see a 6 year old girl sobbing, she was terrified that Elphaba and flown to the top of the proscenium and was completely inconsolable.  The thing that always bothered me the most were the ignorant people that would watch the first act and then leave at intermission because the show wasn't "WIZARD OF OZ' enough for them...

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#26Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/1/15 at 4:11pm

Does anyone know exactly when the 5,000th performance will be? I've been meaning to go back after a few years and this seems like a great opportunity. 

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#27Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/1/15 at 4:42pm

Thanks, Wicked, for getting me into theatre and also convincing me to start reading more mature books at a young age. (I think I was twelve when I read the Gregory Maguire novel for the first time.) Here's to 5,000 more!

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#28Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/1/15 at 8:18pm

Saw the 3rd or 4th preview.  I was besotted with the McGuire book, and took that version of the story into the Gershwin. I still stand in awe of the novel's artistry and full throttle use of imagination. It's feminist, sociopolitical and both disturbing and heartbreaking, devoid of sentimentality. To this day, when I hear any snippet of the score, tonally 180 from McGuire's dark fable, romantic though it may be, the novel and much of its fully formed world are conjured for me, and that's the show's greatest gift.   

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#29Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/2/15 at 8:56am

Let's not forget Fyerio's first act white pants and VPL

Having just seen the London production for the first time, (front row) I swear it gets tighter and tighter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#30Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/2/15 at 9:03am

Greatest video that has ever been made was the white pants competition between Aaron tveit and Norbert Leo butz.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

broadwaysfguy
#31Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/2/15 at 10:20am

I'm thinking Aaron won?  

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#32Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/2/15 at 12:15pm

That I only saw it once.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

StephieElise
#33Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/3/15 at 2:54am

Cupid Boy2 said: "While Wicked isn't the most beloved show around here, it will always hold a special place in my heart. It was my gateway to the world of theatre about seven years ago, and I hate to think how many wonderful memories I would've missed out on had this show not shown me the beauty of the stage."

This. Same number of years and all. I saw Wicked at 17 with my theatre studies class and it honestly changed my life. If not for Wicked I would not have seen the countless amazing shows, concerts, etc. that I have seen; I would not have known about let alone met performers who are now my favourite singers and actors; I would never have met certain friends; I would not have gone to New York last year; I would, however, have a lot more money in my bank account!

After revisiting the show last year, after seeing many, many other shows, I will readily admit that it is far from perfect, but its ability to get young people into the theatre is incredible.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#34Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/3/15 at 3:44am

Not my favorite, either, but I don't hate it. My favorite moment was watching my then  10 year old son as he delighted in the show, one he didn't really want to see in the first place (his sister's choice).  For him, it was magical.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#35Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/3/15 at 4:31pm

I love how it shares a title with a really brilliant novel.

Also the song "I'm Not That Girl." The best single song Stephen Schwartz has written in about 30 years.

BroadwayConcierge
#36Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/3/15 at 6:29pm

Bump asking when performance #5,000 will be.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#37Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/3/15 at 9:26pm

I've never seen WICKED because nobody I know, including my teenaged niece, seems to have enjoyed it.

But as for what I like, I LOVE the choice to musicalize "Loathing" as gleeful rather than dour and hateful. It's really a brilliant number, IMO.

broadwaysfguy
#38Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/4/15 at 1:37am

based on imbd broadway database and math, the 5000th show should be the wed october 28th evening show.

I would certainly drop by the box office to confirm, as I'm sure someone there will know for certain....

In february 2016, Wicked will crush another milestone and surpass Rent as the

10th longest running show in broadway history....

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#39Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/4/15 at 10:12pm

i admit to tearing up when the song 'For Good" is sung near the end of the second act...then the musical got me emotionally...it was a fun show but very forgettable until that moment for me ...anyway

hork Profile Photo
hork
#40Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/4/15 at 10:28pm

I love that it will close someday and open up the Gershwin for something good.

broadwaysfguy
#41Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/5/15 at 1:00am

I love that Wicked will be at the Gershwin another decade or longer

and keep bringing much needed generations of young people 

to musical theatre, as evidenced by all the posts earlier....

BroadwayConcierge
#42Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/13/15 at 2:22pm

I did some very rough calculations and I think the 5,000th performance will be the evening show on Thursday, October 29. Any other insights?

broadwaysfguy
#43Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/13/15 at 6:57pm

hi broadway concierge

my count is that the 5000th show will be the wednesday evening performance on october 28th

if someone went to the box office, they could probably ask and find out for sure, or maybe the current elphaba or glinda may fb or tweet about it in advance

BroadwayConcierge
#44Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/24/15 at 4:24pm

This week! I read a Winnie Holtzman interview recently that confirms the 5,000th show will be Wednesday, October 28. But is it the matinee or evening performance? Can anyone enlighten me?

Updated On: 10/24/15 at 04:24 PM

c0113g3b0y
#45Wicked at 5,000 Performances-What Do YOU Love Most About Wicked?
Posted: 10/25/15 at 11:34am

BroadwayConcierge said: "This week! I read a Winnie Holtzman interview recently that confirms the 5,000th show will be Wednesday, October 28. But is it the matinee or evening performance? Can anyone enlighten me?

"

see reply 38.

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)