pixeltracker

ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?- Page 2

ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#25ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/15/15 at 10:41am

I have no interest in this thing. I think Gloria and MSM produced mediocre pop-nothing iconic and nothing in a LONGGGGG time. No idea of the appeal. Not sure who is shelling out big bucks for this Vegas show.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#26ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/15/15 at 10:53am

I'm not interested either, and, in fact, I thought this was going to tank big time (which it still might) -- but not everyone feels/thinks the way I do.  Go figure.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#27ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/15/15 at 12:25pm

To Chi

So get interested in theater but let them get sticker shock when they have to get them on their own.  A nice gesture but meaningless in the grand scheme of things. 

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/15/15 at 12:25 PM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#28ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/15/15 at 1:12pm

dramamama611 said: ....but not everyone feels/thinks the way I do.  Go figure."

And that's a bad thing?!?!?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#29ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/15/15 at 1:58pm

It does seem like it would be better suited as a Vegas show.

Poster Emeritus

CarlosAlberto
#30ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/15/15 at 2:48pm

Y'all didn't get the memo?

Broadway is "Vegas North".

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#31ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/15/15 at 3:00pm

Every time people say something should be in Vegas, it usually just reinforces their lack of knowledge on Vegas, their lack of knowledge on the show they are talking about, or their lack of knowledge.

Unless you are Donny and Marie or something, Vegas shows are usually spectacles, with huge million dollar sets like Cirque du Soleil, or very cheap revue shows. And almost every show there has to be no longer than 90 minutes.

AND shows with narratives don't do well there, typically. So, every show people don't like on Broadway for whatever reason that should just "go to Vegas" never makes any sense. A 2+ hour story about the life of Gloria Estefan belongs on Broadway, even if some people don't think this show is a successful attempt at telling her story. And if it isn't successful at what it is trying to do, no other city will want it anyway.

CarlosAlberto
#32ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/15/15 at 3:24pm

haterobics said: "Every time people say something should be in Vegas, it usually just reinforces their lack of knowledge on Vegas, their lack of knowledge on the show they are talking about, or their lack of knowledge.

Unless you are Donny and Marie or something, Vegas shows are usually spectacles, with huge million dollar sets like Cirque du Soleil, or very cheap revue shows. And almost every show there has to be no longer than 90 minutes.

AND shows with narratives don't do well there, typically. So, every show people don't like on Broadway for whatever reason that should just "go to Vegas" never makes any sense. A 2+ hour story about the life of Gloria Estefan belongs on Broadway, even if some people don't think this show is a successful attempt at telling her story. And if it isn't successful at what it is trying to do, no other city will want it anyway."

I agree. It's just people's knee-jerk reaction and lame attempt to write it off...to justify their dislike.

lightguy06222
#33ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/15/15 at 5:24pm

no

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#34ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/15/15 at 5:33pm

haterobics said: "AND shows with narratives don't do well there, typically. So, every show people don't like on Broadway for whatever reason that should just "go to Vegas" never makes any sense. A 2+ hour story about the life of Gloria Estefan belongs on Broadway, even if some people don't think this show is a successful attempt at telling her story. And if it isn't successful at what it is trying to do, no other city will want it anyway."

Miami?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#35ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/15/15 at 5:39pm

LizzieCurry said: "Miami?"

Miami shouldn't want a boring, hacky Gloria Estefan show, either. I'm not saying this IS boring or bad in any way, btw. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#36ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/15/15 at 5:45pm

Hate

My wife and I have been to Vegas 10 times. I think we know a tad about the city and what plays there. While true shows generally run 90 minutes, I believe Jersey Boys plays there virtually intact. With what is being foisted on Broadway these days, people could do worst than Feet. Just think it a better fit there. 

Poster Emeritus

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#37ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/15/15 at 6:38pm

Mr Roxy said: "My wife and I have been to Vegas 10 times. I think we know a tad about the city and what plays there. While true shows generally run 90 minutes, I believe Jersey Boys plays there virtually intact. With what is being foisted on Broadway these days, people could do worst than Feet. Just think it a better fit there."

But you live here and you can't seem to sort out what works here and why, either though. ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?

Jersey Boys is there because it is a hit on Broadway, and it tells an easy story with songs people want to hear. The truncated versions of Phantom and Hairspray seem to indicate Vegas isn't very into book-y shows with plots, and even by Broadway standards those aren't very complicated stories.

If there is a fit for Gloria and Vegas, I doubt it is a narrative story of her romance and getting into a bus accident and everything else that is in this show.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#38ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/15/15 at 6:59pm

CarlosAlberto said: "dramamama611 said: ....but not everyone feels/thinks the way I do.  Go figure."

"

Of course not......I'm not even suggesting my thought means anything.   Maybe I should have used my sarcasm font.  Sorry.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

CarlosAlberto
#39ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/16/15 at 1:19pm

dramamama611 said: "CarlosAlberto said: "dramamama611 said: ....but not everyone feels/thinks the way I do.  Go figure."

Of course not......I'm not even suggesting my thought means anything.   Maybe I should have used my sarcasm font.  Sorry.

LOL...dramamama, I was just being sarcastic as well. I knew you were as well. I'm sorry for the confusion! ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?

"

"

Jarethan
#40ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/18/15 at 12:01pm

I had no interest in seeing this, but got tickets Friday night at 7:45, after giving up on the Hamilton cancellation line.  Criteria: my wife wanted to see it and it was close to the TKTS booth.  By the end of the show, I confirmed that I had been familiar with two Gloria Estephan songs, each of which closed one of the two acts.

With that positive start, I have to say that I enjoyed it quite a bit.  At its glitziest, it was fun and colorful.  At its quietest, a lot better than I would have expected, probably due to the 4 leads (Gloria, Emilio, mama, grandma), all of whom were very committed to the material.  The two leads were effective together and very charismatic.

I did not like it enough to think I would be seeing it again on Broadway, but I expect to see it again when it is on the road.

Three final thoughts:

1.  I thought Act 2 was more seamless and entertaining than Act 1;

2.  I personally would cut the little kid who performs like he has St. Vitus' dance ... I thought it cheapened the show, pandering for cheap, unearned audience reaction;

3.  The first 1/2 hour needs a little pizazz after the first number; audience enjoyed the opener, but got a little restless after that.

Jarethan
#41ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/18/15 at 12:10pm

PS -- not being familiar with the songs, I never felt that I was watching a Juke Box musical...I did. It feel the songs were force fit.

PPS -- I thought this was better than Beautiful -- which I always felt was enjoyable, but mediocre), but I don't think any of the performances were as  good as Jessie Mueller's.  Her performance and the songs elevate a pretty drab direction and book.  This has much more professional direction and a slightly better book IMO.

theatreguy12
#42ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/18/15 at 12:52pm

^^ IMO, that says a lot for this show then.  Because I thought Beautiful was great.  

Then again, even though I'm a child of the 70s and 80s, I really didn't know much about Carole King's rise to fame.  So I was intrigued from start to finish.  

Same goes for the story of the Jersey Boys.  I knew their music, but didn't really know all the intricacies of their rise in the music industry.

Conversely, I know Estefan's story. So, while courageous, I'm just not sure I need to see it on the stage.  This is why I'm torn as to whether I should see it or not.  How compelling is the story piece?  And how well is it played out (for those of us who already know the story)?

I've always loved their music though, and this might be the only reason I would go see it.  It wouldn't necessarily be to hear their story again.

For those who aren't familiar with her life though, I can see this being an entertaining night with high energy music and dance.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#43ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/18/15 at 1:36pm

It probably will be a good hit - certainly not in the same aspect of "Jersey Boys," but will have a good run.  I saw the show last Saturday night and had a fun time.  

Jarethan
#44ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/18/15 at 1:46pm

That's the key a fun time watching a slick, professional job with some heart and a little kitsch.

tripelite Profile Photo
tripelite
#45ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/19/15 at 12:12pm

I saw it on Friday and the audience went completely bananas for the show.  I had low expectations (and no interest in the material), and I loved it.  Beyond the music and dancing, what really grabbed me was what the Estefans have accomplished. They truly started with nothing, and not only became successful, but redefined Latin music and brought it to a new audience. No one believed in them - they made it happen by sheer will, perseverance, and extraordinary talent. They relentlessly pursued their dreams and built an empire - a lesson that many today could learn from. Everyone I talked to or overheard during intermission or after the show was raving about it.  I think it will find an audience and word of mouth will be very good.  It will be the #1 show on the list of anyone who has any Latin heritage, and I think it will even attract people who normally don't see theatre at all.  I think it will have a great run.

Updated On: 10/20/15 at 12:12 PM

CenterOrchestra
#46ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/19/15 at 12:41pm

I saw this last Monday. I thought it was awful. I should point out I am not a huge fan of Gloria Estefan but it felt like watching TV. It felt predictable and derivative. As my friend who I saw it with remarked "Nothing in the first act prepared us for how truly horrible the second act would be" A lot of people on these boards seem to love it - I am not getting it at all.

theatreguy12
#47ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/19/15 at 9:26pm

Even though I was a fan of theirs at one time, I'm not sure I see her as all that iconic at this point….and her music has been out of the mainstream for a long time now.  

Sure, her story is known for the crossover element, but that was a long time ago, and I can't see the drama behind that being all that captivating.  Maybe it is.

I think it will end up being all about the music, and will appeal to those who are fans of her music. A MSM concert, with a lot of energy and dance.  And a little story to back it up.  

There is the bus crash, and the recovery from that. 

But beyond that I'm not sure what to make of it.  I think I'd almost be more interested in just going to one of their concerts.

MrJNLong
#48ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 12:46am

OK, so I saw this Saturday night.

I will front load these comments by saying that I have been a huge Gloria fan since I was young, even longer than I have been a theatre nut.  So I've been looking forward to this ever since I heard that two of my favorite passions were mixing.

I had a great time.  My 12 year-old Gloria fan loved it.  My more mature developed taste in theatre had to be checked at the door to be honest. But I do think everyone should see it.  Because Gloria's story is awesome and that music is killer.

It's not the worst jukebox musical...in fact it is probably in the top 3 of all the jukebox musicals I've seen.  But I don't usually like jukebox musicals.  As a comparison, I thought Beautiful had some admirable qualities, but overall, was pretty craptacular (especially that book).  I like this book a little better.  Basically because they found some genuine humor in some places.

Some songs were clearly being stretched to work where they wanted them to fit (for example a beautiful and lesser-known song from early in MSM's career called "When Someone Comes Into Your Life" is given to the spirit of her father to sing to her, but is clearly a song written for a dumped lover to sing...so a little awkward...but such a beautiful song that everyone should hear!)

Some songs were used well ("I See Your Smile" and "Reach" were appropriate and moving inclusions I thought) and one even transcended itself ("Wrapped"-which I will never be able to hear the same way).  And I totally forgot about that "Famous" song so kudos for pulling that out of the vaults.  The new song written for the show was nice...

Here's the thing though, Gloria's catalogue has some really great songs that have inherent conflict and storytelling in them, but they weren't used ("Words Get in the Way," "Cuts Both Ways," "Always Tomorrow," "Nayib's Song," "Close My Eyes," "Your Picture," "Mas Alla"ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit? so it did seem a bit low on the conflict.  And then they kind of took out the awesome story progression from "Here We Are" and turned it into a generic love song...which it isn't.

BUT, positives outweigh negatives I thought as far as music was concerned.

I've never loved Sergio Trujillo's choreography and this show unfortunately did not change my mind.  I just wanted more.  I feel like some other choreographers could have choreographed the **** out of this and made it a little more the dance spectacle it should have been.

Technical elements were nothing to write home about, but still the show added up to greater than the sum of its parts.

Loved Josh Segarra.  Found humor and pathos in many moments.  Great work.  Thought Ana Villafane was pretty good.  Genuinely sounded like Gloria speaking many times.  Andrea Burns was super-solid as always (although she seemed to be struggling a bit vocally towards the end of "Mi Tierra"ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit? and Alma Cuervo was an absolute delight.

Audience seemed to love it. As did I.  Even if it doesn't seem that way.  ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?

If the creative time is looking for things to change before opening, I'd say play to the strengths of that music and amp up the dancing element.  The "Wrapped" dream/surgery sequence is almost really stellar.  Needs one other cool scenic element or staging trick to make it remarkable.  The record exec in act one is a bit over the top mustache-twirley.  I didn't buy it. Just tone him down a bit so he seems less cartooney, and I might not roll my eyes as much in that section (loved Emilio's speech to him about Americans though...nice touch).

Oh, and two things that would have been nice, but its probably too late for now:

Would have been cool to have found some way to have a giant jungle-themed Rhythm Is Gonna Get You production number that wasn't part of a medley.

Would have been cool to explore some of Gloria's activism and such after the accident.  To me, that is one of the major things that makes Gloria unique as a pop artist ... and is even cooler than Emilio's determination to make her a star (which I feel like this show focused mostly on).  You know, this book almost showed us more of what was unique about him than it did her.

Any way, go see it! You'll probably really like it.  Especially if you check your theatre critic at the door and just give in to the joy and goodwill of their story.  Then go take your inner theatre critic to Hamilton and Spring Awakening and you'll be fine ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?

theatreguy12
#49ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 1:05am

An honest review, JN.  Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you enjoyed it.   

Considering the verve, passion and engaging aspect of their music, taking it to the next level with great choreography and a strong story would make for a great evening I would think.  

Sounds like it kind of misses in a couple of those areas though, hey?   And I suppose if the show requires leaving your theatrical mind at the door, I'm not sure I'd get into the show in the way I might want to.  And for me a book (and choreography) would have to be strong to make it something even more special than just seeing them in concert.

I'm sure it's a fun evening, but might save the $$ for another show…..and then check Gloria out on her next tour.  I really do like her music and the one time I saw them in concert it was a great show!