pixeltracker

Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag- Page 2

Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#25Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/15/15 at 6:38pm

It's gonna sweep so hard it'll take Best Revival of a Play and Best Regional Theatre along with it and blindside everyone.

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#26Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/15/15 at 6:42pm

I foresee them taking every production award they're nominated for (although Mr. Arden just might steal Direction from them).

I do think that performance awards are its hardest shots at wins, but I think it will get a load of nominations at the very least. I'm predicting the following performance noms (not wins):

Lead Actor: Lin-Manuel Miranda and Leslie Odom, Jr.

Lead Actress: Philippa Soo

Featured Actor: Daveed Diggs, Christopher Jackson, and Jonathan Groff (I think this will be a Fun Home situation)

Featured Actress: Renee Elise Goldsberry 

Updated On: 10/15/15 at 06:42 PM

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#27Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/15/15 at 6:45pm

Ask Jan Maxwell, doesn't she keep all the Tonys in her bag?

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#28Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/15/15 at 6:57pm

^^Hahaha, I was waiting for someone to say it. First thing I thought of when I saw this thread. 

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#29Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/15/15 at 7:00pm

Ask Jan Maxwell because she has appently had man u Tony's in her bag, and yet she still has none on her mantel.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#30Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/15/15 at 7:19pm

As Kad said that Tony time is very much out of sight, out of mind, which I agree with, however Spring Awakening could still win best revival,, but then if it's closed it probably won't, if this is the case Spring Awakening and Deaf West definitely deserve a honorary special Tony.

Kad said: "Re: Arden

Spring Awakening will be long closed by Tony time. The Tonys are very much an out of sight, out of mind awards body.
"

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#31Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/15/15 at 8:00pm

In terms of Spring Awakening and Arden, not only will the show have long been closed, but there are still revivals of The Color Purple, Fiddler, and She Loves Me opening- any of these shows could be equally acclaimed and have successful runs. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ChiTheaterFan
#32Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/15/15 at 8:49pm

Hellob said: "How much tighter is Odom's performance than at the Public that he lost to Borle at the other awards? Borle is the best thing about SR but it's not even in the same league... so why do you think he lost? 

"

I have no idea how Odom lost the drama desk award to Borle. I think it's ridiculous. And I say this as someone who LOVED Borle in something Rotten. But Odom was and is on another level. I just don't think you can even make the comparison. (And it's not high against Borle. It's partly the role. He was great and deserved the Tony but Odom is giving a career performance in an incredible role.)

I do think, though, that his performance is somehow even better than it was at the public. It seems more visceral and painful. He's found something even deeper in the character. And the show stopping effect of Room Where it Happens is the one thing in the show that is really helped by the bigger venue. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#33Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/15/15 at 8:58pm

Ok I really hate being this guy, but can someone explain the thing about Jan Maxwell and the bag? I've seen people make those jokes for years and never understood. You can PM me if you want. 

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#34Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/15/15 at 10:55pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Thoughts on Jonathan Groff getting a featured actor nod?

"

Absolutely not. He's in the show for maybe 10-15 minutes.

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#35Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/15/15 at 11:51pm

Does anything think Onaodowan might be nominated as Featured Actor?

What does Best Book mean in the context of a sung-through show? I've wondered this for a long time and have been trying to google it but failing.

Jabere: 96,000 is a reference to In the Heights.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#36Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/15/15 at 11:56pm

"What does Best Book mean in the context of a sung-through show? I've wondered this for a long time and have been trying to google it but failing."

A book-writer's job is not just to write the words, but also to structure the show - deciding what plot elements to include, what order they go in, when to bring them back, deciding which characters should be in the show, and how they are written, etc. In this case, Lin-Manuel did all of these things through the lyrics/music, but he still did the job of a book-writer, in the ways I mentioned above (and did a damn good job of it, I might add) 

I'm sure others could expand on what I said, but I think that's the basic gist of it. 

Updated On: 10/16/15 at 11:56 PM

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#37Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/15/15 at 11:58pm

Thank you JBroadway! That is really interesting to know. (I agree about the damn good job, though I only know the show through the cast recording.)

UnwoundFantasies
#38Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/16/15 at 12:03am

I don't see Groff getting a nomination, yes he sings 3 songs but they're all basically the same song and he's only on stage for about 10 minutes. Especially since he's competing with so many others from his own show. 

What about danny burstein? I think (and hope) he takes best actor. Especially after seeing the rehearsal footage today.

BroadwayConcierge
#39Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/16/15 at 12:06am

UnwoundFantasies said: "I don't see Groff getting a nomination, yes he sings 3 songs but they're all basically the same song and he's only on stage for about 10 minutes. Especially since he's competing with so many others from his own show."

That's certainly the major qualm in Groff's ability to get a nomination. However, I can't help but think about how these awards are for "Best Performance," and how Groff's performance is far and away one that everyone talks about from the show, as short in the show as it is. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#40Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/16/15 at 12:16am

"Groff's performance is far and away one that everyone talks about from the show, as short in the show as it is. "

Really? I believe you that you've experienced that, but from all the many discussion I've had with people who have seen the show, I've found that people hardly mention him. I think he's vastly overshadowed by his fellow featured actors.

Having seen both Groff and Brian d'Arcy James in role, I'd wager that if Brian d'Arcy James had come to Broadway with the show, he would have been a lock. Groff? He might snag a nomination, but certainly not a lock. 

AEA AGMA SM
#41Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/16/15 at 12:19am

The amount of stage time is certainly not a defining factor in the Featured Actor categories. Just off the top of my head in recent seasons you had Elizabeth A. Davis getting nominated for her rather small role in Once, and Katie Finneran winning for Promises, Promises.

BroadwayConcierge
#42Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/16/15 at 12:21am

JBroadway said: "Groff? He might snag a nomination, but certainly not a lock."

I never said he was a lock! I'm just speculating as to whether he'll get a nomination. Brantley devoted an entire paragraph in his review of the show to Groff's performance. Obviously, people talk about a billion other things when they discuss the show, but Groff's performance always comes up, at least for me. I'd venture to say a nomination is safer territory for Jackson/Diggs, but I think Groff might be able to secure a nod. 

HamFam77
#43Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/16/15 at 1:19am

I really, really, really, really want Leslie Odom, Jr. to win.  That's the one performance that's just burrowed its way into my soul (BURRowed, see what I did there?)

Goldsberry and Diggs are my silver and bronze place finishers.  

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#44Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/16/15 at 1:22am

I really, really, really, really want Leslie Odom, Jr. to win.  That's the one performance that's just burrowed its way into my soul

HamFam77, I feel that way too, from only the cast recording.

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#45Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/16/15 at 2:00am

If Renee goes in as Leading Actress, one point of competition will be Jessie Mueller. Her performance in Waitress at ART was supreme. But would Renee even go in as Leading Actress, or Featured?

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#46Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/16/15 at 2:55am

Angelica's definetely a featured role, I can't imagine they'd put REG in Leading. I dunno about Odom. I'd personally put him in leading, as I think he has a much better chance at a win than Miranda does, but the role is truly on the Leading-Supporting fence. He deserves it, but I feel like Daveed might have the edge in a straight up competition for Supporting given how flashy his double role is. Then again..."Room Where it Happens"...

mattporter17 Profile Photo
mattporter17
#47Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/16/15 at 9:37am

AEA AGMA SM said: "The amount of stage time is certainly not a defining factor in the Featured Actor categories. Just off the top of my head in recent seasons you had Elizabeth A. Davis getting nominated for her rather small role in Once, and Katie Finneran winning for Promises, Promises."

Hell, people like Andrea Martin won for roles that were <10m on stage (Pippin), so Groff is definitely a contender.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#48Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/16/15 at 12:35pm

The Jan Maxwell reference is to her having been nominated in all catagories, and even getting double nominations in a single year, and yet she still has no Tony on her mantle. The most common explaination was the 2012 Tony's were it was a forgone conclusion that she would win her Tony for her life affirming performance as Phyllis in Follies. She got hit by a van and still continued to perform, but she and Follies both lost out of Porgy and Audra. Jan often gives the best performance of the season, but looses out to emotional(Audra tieing Angela Lansbury for Most wins) or political voting. For the other example in 2010 she lost both Best Actress in a play and features actress in a play to the Hollywood flood with Viola Davis and Scarlett Johnhanson taking the awards in instead. So the running joke is Jan has the "Tony in the bag" but as we have learned it isn't in the bag until the name is read.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#49Hamilton - How Many Tonys Will It Bag
Posted: 10/16/15 at 2:01pm

Thanks bdn223!

@BroadwayConcierge, I know you weren't saying he was lock. Sorry if I phrased my comment poorly. The second part of my post was meant as a separate remark not directed to you, comparing Jonathan Groff and Brian d'Arcy James.