pixeltracker

THE COLOR PURPLE Previews- Page 3

THE COLOR PURPLE Previews

indytallguy
#50THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 7:03am

Considering Erivo played the role for months it's unsurprising she owns the stage more than Hudson at this point. I would imagine that balance my get calibrated a bit more as the previews play on.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#51THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 7:27am

RippedMan, both previews of what? Now I'm confused too. :)

Jordan, While I wouldn't go as far as saying The Color Purple is the greatest American film ever made, I do think it's a very good film and superior to the text of the musical in every way. What the movie has that the show lacks is intensity. I feel like Danny Glover could kill Whoopi at any moment. You can never relax, never feel like you're completely safe to really laugh at joke or feel comfort from a tender moment because the danger looms so large over Celie. The musical on the other hand is almost so happy-go-lucky you could take a young child to the show and all the bad things alluded to would probably go over their head. 

If you have such a hatred for the show you may still hate this version, but I do think Erivo's performance is worth the price of admission and Doyle's direction really does make things better. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#52THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 8:47am

See, I found that this production highlighted the tragedy of everything so much better than the original. And I felt in that respect, the bursts of joy that came from the show were needed and earned. 

I felt Celie's pain way more than I ever did in the original production. 

WhizzerMarvin
#53THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 9:12am

Celie's pain was real last night. I was comparing the musical as a whole to the film rather than this production to the original production.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

rebeccmam31
#54THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 9:16am

I just got free Audience Reward tickets for this for January.  I was on the fence about this show (didn't love the previous production--though I only saw the tour--and I LOVE the book), but this thread has convinced me to give it a try.  The staging sounds really interesting.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#55THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 9:20am

Can anyone comment on the view from mezzanine row E if you were up there? :) Also, did anyon the attempt stage door? I'm assuming it was mobbed.

WhizzerMarvin
#56THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 9:30am

I was in the rear mezz and the view was great. The Jacobs is a wonderful theater with a mezz that feels wider than it is deep.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#57THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 9:31am

Just went to go purchase my tickets after reading these reports, and discovered they're only currently selling until May 1st!! Earliest I could get HAMILTON tickets was May 9th so I'm planning my trip around that. Hopefully they release another block soon. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#58THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 9:38am

Thanks, Whizzer! :)

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#59THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 10:23am

Is "Push Da Button" in this production?  I read they had cut the production numbers.  It's one of my favorite songs and I would kill to hear Jhud sing it. 

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

WhizzerMarvin
#60THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 10:29am

Push Da Button is in the production (as is African Grasslands section at the top of act two, which I read somewhere had been cut). The songs are there, but they are no longer big production numbers like in the original. Doyle goes with less is more, but yes you will get to hear Hudson sing the song. 

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#61THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 10:32am

Thanks - buying tickets now! 

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#62THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 10:53am

The African Homeland song was always in this production as far as I know. I never saw anyone say it had been cut just that it had been shortened.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#63THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 10:58am

If you are off to the side of the rear mezzanine is it still an okay view?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#64THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 11:11am

Has anyone attempted rush? I'd be curious to know if standing room has been thrown into the mix yet as well. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#65THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 11:17am

Still a lot of seats for this week's shows, although they might move enough at TKTS to fill up the house... but doesn't look like SRO would be available when the box office opens for any dates this week. Or do you just want to know if SRO is available IF they start selling out the house?

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#66THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 11:25am

haterobics said: "Still a lot of seats for this week's shows, although they might move enough at TKTS to fill up the house... but doesn't look like SRO would be available when the box office opens for any dates this week. Or do you just want to know if SRO is available IF they start selling out the house?"

Thanks! That's good to know expectation-wise. I'd definitely be interested in the "IF" factor as well. I know some shows reserve the SRO space for the creative team during the preview period, and I was hoping that wouldn't be the case here. I often prefer full-view standing room to partial view rush seats if I'm lucky enough to have the option.

Broadwaystar2
#67THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 12:49pm

Cupid Boy2 said: "Has anyone attempted rush? I'd be curious to know if standing room has been thrown into the mix yet as well. 

"

I heard people were lining up at 6 am this morning for rush seats. And they only do 20 tickets for the show. I'd say try on a 2 show day if you can.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#68THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 2:43pm

Was told they sell $35 partial view tickets for rush. 20 tickets. But they offered me $59 partial view tickets in the mezz. 

How is the view? I mean how partial is it? It's not a big set, so why it is considered partial? 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#69THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 2:46pm

Didn't you post in Color Purple and School of Rock? Both of which started last night? 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#70THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 2:48pm

School of Rock was the night before. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#71THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 3:49pm

Just bought a ticket to see this on Saturday night! 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#72THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 6:04pm

This was the main reason for our upcoming trip and now I'm really excited. How was Danielle's voice?  I can imagine that she was amazing in the role. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#73THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 6:15pm

tonight's preview is up at TKTS for 50% off. I guess the show isn't selling that well. Maybe they should release a discount code now??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Sam2
#74THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 8:40pm

I don't want to start a discussion like the Diversity on Broadway Thread, but it was a pleasant surprise to see a long line of non-white people in front of the box office tonight. Maybe because it's easier for them to 'relate' to the story, but there were significantly more of them then at an average performance of any Broadway show I've seen. Anyway, happy to see an ethnical diverse audience.