Posted: 11/12/15 at 5:18pm

What Jeffrey said, and also many others, including but not limited to:

Fool For Love (as they announced today)

Sylvia (as they announced today)

Cripple of Inishmaan

Little Shop of Horrors

This is Our Youth

Lady Day

It's the "classics" rule that the Tony's have. Basically the rule of thumb is: if it's a show that is being revived, then it's a revival. 

Updated On: 11/12/15 at 05:18 PM

Clyde15
#26TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 5:39pm

Are Dames at Sea, Spring Awakening and She Loves Me the only revivals of a musical this season? 

AEA AGMA SM
#27TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 5:43pm

dramamama611 said: "If the production does not petition for a specific change, can/will the committee consider changes on their own? "

They do have that power. I don't know how often they've exercised it (as I don't believe they have ever announced whether a producer petitioned for a change or if they opted to make that determination on their own), but it does exist. Just like they can, obviously, choose to deny a petition for a category change if they feel it is not accurate (again, I don't think they've ever announced when a petition was denied, so I don't know how often they actually do exercise that power, either).

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#28TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 5:44pm

I am interested in how acting nominations for Spring Awakening could work with the Deaf actors and their characters' "voices."

The entire ensemble may end up receiving speical Tony Awards, which was what happened with Big River back in 2004.

If Annaleigh Ashford wins again this year I might vomit.

She's already got some competition coming her way with Jessica Lange, Lupita Nyong'o, Sophie Okonedo, Michelle Williams, etc.

asmith0307
#29TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 5:44pm

Clyde15 said: "Are Dames at Sea, Spring Awakening and She Loves Me the only revivals of a musical this season? "

Fiddler and The Color Purple as well

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#30TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 5:45pm

Jeffery says "She's already got some competition coming her way with Jessica Lange, Lupita Nyong'o, Sophie Okonedo, Michelle Williams, etc."

Yeah, but I said the same thing last year about Annaleigh vs. everyone else in the category, and she still won. 

Updated On: 11/12/15 at 05:45 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides
#31TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 5:46pm

Clyde15 said: "Are Dames at Sea, Spring Awakening and She Loves Me the only revivals of a musical this season?"

There's also Suffle Along, depending on whether or not it ends up being considered a new work or a revival.

Updated On: 11/12/15 at 05:46 PM

asmith0307
#32TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 5:50pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Clyde15 said: "Are Dames at Sea, Spring Awakening and She Loves Me the only revivals of a musical this season?"

There's also Suffle Along, depending on whether or not it ends up being considered a new work or a revival."

If it really is a musical about the making of Shuffle Along, then it will most likely be a new musical. 

Clyde15
#33TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 5:54pm

asmith0307 said: "Clyde15 said: "Are Dames at Sea, Spring Awakening and She Loves Me the only revivals of a musical this season? "

Fiddler and The Color Purple as well

"

Oh Duh, I was just looking at Color Purple preview thread. It will be interesting to see who gets nominated for Best Revival of a Musical. Do people really want another Fiddler Revival? Color Purple and Spring Awakening were just on Broadway will people vote for them again? Dames at Sea is such a small show and we don't know if it will last. She Loves Me won't go on tour so it probably won't win the vote from out of town voters.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#34TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 6:09pm

It will be interesting to see who gets nominated for Best Revival of a Musical. Do people really want another Fiddler Revival? Color Purple and Spring Awakening were just on Broadway will people vote for them again?

We've had two Broadway revivals of Gypsy nominated for Best Revival of a Musical five years apart. Same with La Cage aux Folles, which won both times. To make a long story short, I don't think people are going to vote against a show just because they've seen it before.

She Loves Me won't go on tour so it probably won't win the vote from out of town voters.

The out of town voters only make up about 10% of the voting block, so I don't think it really matters as much anymore. Otherwise, Newsies would've beaten Once, Beautiful would've beaten Gentleman's Guide, and An American in Paris would've beaten Fun Home.

Updated On: 11/12/15 at 06:09 PM

Broadwaystar2
#35TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 6:12pm

So what does Shuffle Along fall under???

hork Profile Photo
hork
#36TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 6:20pm

Broadwaystar2 said: "So what does Shuffle Along fall under???

We'll find out after the Tony committee has actually seen it and discussed it.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#37TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 6:23pm

Yes, this is only the first meeting, encompassing only the shows that have opened so far this season.

They do 3 or 4 each year.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

cknick
#38TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 11:10pm

This is probably a really stupid question, but if actors from these shows aren't mentioned as "eligible" does that mean they won't have a chance of being nominated.  For example, Kiera Knightly and Matt Ryan?  Not saying I want or don't want them nominated, only curious how these "eligibility" meetings work.  

I feel like I should already know this answer, but I don't! 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#39TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 11:12pm

JBroadway said: "Jeffery says "She's already got some competition coming her way with Jessica Lange, Lupita Nyong'o, Sophie Okonedo, Michelle Williams, etc."

Yeah, but I said the same thing last year about Annaleigh vs. everyone else in the category, and she still won."

Ashford was the favorite to win in that category throughout the entire season.

Her performance in Sylvia is not nearly as buzzed as her performance in You Can't Take It With You.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

dramamama611
#40TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 11:14pm

No, this is not judgement on performances...only which category they will be considered for.  If they aren't mentioned, their placement fall under normal rules....which has to do with being over or under the title. (Which has been explained both at the end of the article and somewhere else in this thread.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 11/13/15 at 11:14 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#41TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 11:15pm

Everyone who is in the original cast of a show that opens this season is eligible for a Tony. This isn't a full explanation, but to put it simply: the reason they mentioned some people and not others (Like Kiera and Matt) is because there was no doubt that Kiera and Matt are automatically considered leads, so Tony committee didn't bother having a discussion about which category they were eligible in.

cknick
#42TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 11:24pm

Thank you for that brief explanation, JBroadway. Makes perfect sense now. 

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#43TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 11:31pm

I don't disagree that Eliza is a lead in Hamilton, but Soo had a better chance if they left her in featured. The lead category is pretty packed. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

dramamama611
#44TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 11:39pm

I'm guessing they are hoping to give both her and Renee a chance in different categories.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#45TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 11:40pm

The featured category has Goldsberry, as well as Danielle Brooks, Jennifer Hudson, Jane Krakowsi, and likely Alice Ripley. Not at all a slam dunk for anyone.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

c0113g3b0y
#46TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/12/15 at 11:44pm

Heaven help us all if Amazing Crap gets nominated for ANYTHING.

also, doesn't the Tony Committee take into consideration the voices of Wendla / Mortiz? Surely they get to be nominated alongside their deaf counterparts on stage? E.g. Katie Boeck and Sandra Mae Frank sharing a nomination for Best Actress in a musical?

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)
Updated On: 11/12/15 at 11:44 PM

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#47TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/13/15 at 2:47am

I know it's awhile away, but I'm interested to hear about how they handle Noises Off. Its one of the biggest ensemble shows I can think of, where there is no "lead" character. So would everyone be considered featured? How was it divided up for the last revival? I think this *could* be Andrea Martin's year yet again (if the part fits her like I think it will). 

dramamama611
#48TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/13/15 at 4:13am

If they didn't just list that they would consider them jointly, it will not happen. (To the best of my understanding) 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#49TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/13/15 at 5:04am

Mr Roxy said: "Dames was never on Broadway so how can it be nominated for a revival Tony?"

Didn't we cover all this re: Hedwig?

Videos