pixeltracker

Motown Returns to the Nederlander- Page 2

Motown Returns to the Nederlander

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#25Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/23/15 at 8:45pm

Mr Roxy said: "Saw All Shook Up and enjoyed it for what it was. It was not supposed to be groundbreaking.

Do any jukebox musicals intend to be "groundbreaking"? What new ground has a jukebox musical ever tried to break?

Updated On: 11/23/15 at 08:45 PM

FindingNamo
#26Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/23/15 at 8:46pm

ha ha!

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#27Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/23/15 at 9:06pm

Do any jukebox musicals intend to be "groundbreaking"? What new ground has a jukebox musical ever tried to break?

Jersey Boys did break the mold by telling the true story behind the songs rather than trying to shoehorn a plot around them. It may not have been the very first bio-musical, but it did popularize the genre.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#28Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/23/15 at 9:54pm

You could really say that Crazy For You was one of the first jukebox musicals. It used existing songs fit into an original story .

Poster Emeritus

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#29Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/23/15 at 10:05pm

Enough with these really lousy jukebox musicals.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#30Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/23/15 at 10:19pm

Phantom4ever said: "It makes me sad that a Broadway theater is suffering the indignity of being just another stop on a national tour. 

The Nederlander has suffered much worse in the past year or so. It can't get much worse than Honeymoon or Amazing Grace. 

South Fl Mark said: "Enough with these really lousy jukebox musicals."

They are not going anywhere. You can bet on that. 

Mr Roxy said: "Surprised it coming back. One of the weaker jukebox shows. Will extend if business warrants but doubt it will.We shall see"

Why is everyone so surprised it is coming back? They announced this almost immediately (if not even in the same press release as their closing notice) following their closing last January and with a producing team like that, I knew they'd hold true to their word. The show consistently grossed over $1 million in the decently-sized Lunt-Fontanne and proved to pack in enthusiastic crowds year round. The producers wanted to take the show on the road to scale-down the production costs and make the show cheaper to run so that it could come back and sit down in New York for a while. I'm sure the 18-week limited engagement is to see how their return ticket sales fare and if it warrants, they will stay and if not they'll close up shop and send it back out on the road where it will, no doubt, fill regional theaters around the country for a while to come. 

Updated On: 11/23/15 at 10:19 PM

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#31Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/23/15 at 10:32pm

I wonder, does that Beatlemania show from the 1970's count as a jukebox musical?

FindingNamo
#32Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/24/15 at 5:22pm

To me it seems from the very beginning that there should have been a distinction between jukebox musicals (Rock of Ages) and artist catalogue musicals (On Your Feet, Hot Feet, Good Vibrations, Mamma Mia).

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

LemeninaJinque
#33Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/24/15 at 5:24pm

Yay another turn for a musical that was so great it even won the tony for best musical ! I will come just to see this show terrific (sarcasm) 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#34Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/24/15 at 5:25pm

^ ^ Your attempt at sarcasm was an EPIC FAIL.

Don't every try that again.

LemeninaJinque
#35Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/24/15 at 5:30pm

AMERICAN IDIOT !!!!1

adamgreer said: "Mr Roxy said: "Saw All Shook Up and enjoyed it for what it was. It was not supposed to be groundbreaking.

"

VintageSnarker
#36Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/24/15 at 5:48pm

"Do any jukebox musicals intend to be "groundbreaking"? What new ground has a jukebox musical ever tried to break?"

Trip of Love Motown Returns to the Nederlander

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#37Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/24/15 at 7:01pm

Seeing it Sunday

Poster Emeritus

Tandrews
#38Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/24/15 at 10:25pm

Dear Lord, make it stop! 

Broadway kid 2
#39Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/24/15 at 11:45pm

KCW Profile Photo
KCW
#40Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/25/15 at 3:01pm

American Idiot was one of the worst shows I have ever seen. The music was decent, enjoyed the songs but I had to regard them as just songs. The plot was nonexistent. I will never leave at intermission, but I certainly was the closest I ever will be. Rant over. Re Motown, I definitely think that the decision was smart.

I appoligise for any spelling mistakes. I may be on my mobile. Clumsy fingers and small little touchscreen keys don't mixx. I try to spellcheck, but I may miss something.

NewsiesForever Profile Photo
NewsiesForever
#41Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/25/15 at 6:10pm

I wish Newsies was moving back in the Nederlander

c0113g3b0y
#42Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/26/15 at 1:37am

NewsiesForever said: "I wish Newsies was moving back in the Nederlander

"

omg just can it already.

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)

hork Profile Photo
hork
#43Motown Returns to the Nederlander
Posted: 11/26/15 at 1:55am

American Idiot is a rock opera, not a jukebox musical.