pixeltracker

Tony for best score that didn't deserve it- Page 2

Tony for best score that didn't deserve it

FindingNamo
#25Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 1:27pm

Has Roxy  ever liked a show with major gay content?  It is a puzzlement. 

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none
Updated On: 11/30/15 at 01:27 PM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#26Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 1:30pm

It's all subjective, but:

1962 - No Strings won (Composer); How To Succeed was better

1974 - Gigi won; both Raisin and Seesaw were better

1976 - A Chorus Line won; much as I like it, Pacific Overtures is better

1984 - La Cage aux Folles won; Sunday in the Park with George was better

1987 - Les Miserables won; Rags was a better score

2007 - Spring Awakening won; Grey Gardens was better

2013 - Kinky Boots won; Matilda was better

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#27Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 1:33pm

"Kad-more popular often, though not always, is also better."

I think the list of the ten top-grossing films of all time puts that statement to the test.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

broadwayboy223
#28Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 1:36pm

I might be biased but I think Into The Woods rightfully won. 

AEA AGMA SM
#29Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 2:31pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "What about when The Who's Tommy tied with Kiss of the Spider Woman? How much of the Tommy score was actually written for the stage?"

While there were a lot of new arrangements and orchestrations, the only new material written for the stage adaptation of Tommy was "I Believe My Own Eyes." Clearly if it was produced under the new rules it would not have been eligible.

Incidentally I remember Pete Townshend saying at one point (maybe in the documentary that was made when the show opened on Broadway?) that "I Believe My Own Eyes" was one of the hardest songs he'd written in his career, because he actually had to consider character and motivation when writing it, which he didn't worry about at all when creating the original concept album.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#30Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 3:08pm

popular opinion, clicks and dollars spent are clearly voting for kinky boots as the more popular score....

That is more indicative of a Grammy than a Tony.

Got it wrong (in my opinion):

No Strings over How to Succeed

Hallelujah, Baby! over How Now, Dow Jones

Gigi over Seesaw

Aida over The Wild Party or Marie Christine

The Producers over The Full Monty or Jane Eyre

Avenue Q over Caroline, or Change

Spring Awakening over Grey Gardens or Legally Blonde

The Book of Mormon over Women on the Verge

Kinky Boots over Matilda

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#31Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 3:12pm

The question here is not which scores are not great, but which scores had one that was actively better than it that year. For example, I don't think The Mystery of Edwin Drood is a good score, but it was the best one of that year. So...

How to Succeed should have beat No Strings

Mame should have beat Man of La Mancha

The Happy Time should have beat Hallelujah, Baby

Chicago (or better yet, Treemonisha) should have beat A Chorus Line

Happy End should have beat Annie

Hollywood/Ukraine should have beat Evita

A Dolls's Life should have beat Cats

The Rink should have beat La Cage (though I love the La Cage score)

Me and My Girl should have beat Les Misérables

Jelly's Last Jam should have beat Falsettos

Steel Pier should have beat Titanic

The Wild Party or The Dead should have beat Aida

Curtains should have beat Spring Awakening

Passing Strange should have beat In the Heights

The Scottsboro Boys should have beat The Book of Mormon

Matilda should have beat Kinky Boots

If/Then or Gentleman's Guide should have beat Bridges of Madison County

The Visit should have beat Fun Home

Oh, and Mack and Mabel was better than The Wiz, despite its score not even being nominated.

NotTheComfyChair Profile Photo
NotTheComfyChair
#32Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 3:22pm

For me:

Matilda should have won over Kinky Boots.

Grey Gardens should have won over Spring Awakening.

Gentleman's Guide should have won over Bridges of Madison County.

I also thought that while Fun Home is a very good score, I think The Last Ship should have won in that year. What with The Visit as well, a real embarassment of riches. For once.

Updated On: 12/1/15 at 03:22 PM

Mister Matt
#33Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 3:31pm

I also think Bridges of Madison County should have tied with Gentleman's Guide.  I find them entirely different but equally strong and effective.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#34Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 3:38pm

Agreed

Poster Emeritus

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#35Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 3:51pm

Spring Awakening (Grey Gardens is so superior)

Kinky Boots (Matilda is a work of genius)

Gigi (Raisin or Seesaw are both so much better)

La Cage (Sunday in the Park should have won)

Will Rogers Follies (I'm a Coleman devotee, but it was the weakest score of that season)

Urinetown (Sweet Smell had no chance, but it's a far better score)

No Strings (How to Succeed would have been my pick)

....but the world goes 'round

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#36Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 3:55pm

Agree on some on your list but not all . Gigi was a few new songs and more existing ones . To think a partial score won over Seesaw is a head scratcher. Raisin needs to be revived or at least done @ Encores  

Poster Emeritus

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#37Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 4:06pm

Titanic > STEEL PIER

Next to Normal > BILLY ELLIOT

Urinetown > THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE

Spring Awakening > GREY GARDENS

Kinky Boots > MATILDA

Avenue Q > WICKED

Memphis

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 11/30/15 at 04:06 PM

After Eight
#38Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 5:43pm

"How to Succeed should have beat No Strings"

I think No Strings had a better score. But the best scores that year were Milk and Honey and The Gay Life.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#39Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 6:00pm

Well, here's a good place to put this: thank you, After Eight, for your repeated praise of the MILK AND HONEY score. I heard it once on the radio as a teenager and wasn't impressed. But I finally downloaded it and I find I like it very much. So thank you for that. (Yes, I already have THE GAY LIFE and the other nominees from that year. Anything Barbara Cook does is worth hearing.)

As for which score should have won, I would probably go with HOW TO SUCCEED because it is the most inventive use of music to tell its story.

Jarethan
#40Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 6:52pm

I don't think that anyone has mentioned it yet, but the most egregious ever is Gypsy vs. Sound of Music and, I seem to recall, Fiorello in a tie.  I loved the SOM score, but it ain't Gypsy.

i also don't think anyone has mentioned Purlie or even Coco vs. Applause, whose score was mediocre from the outset, even if I enjoyed the show a couple of times.  Purlie has a wonderful, joyous score and I think that Coco is under appreciated, although not every song is stellar.

Couple of other comments:

Hallelujah! Baby! Has gotten trashed by several of you.  I personally think it is a wonderful score and am appalled that anyone would even mention How Now Dow Jones, which has exactly 2 good songs, one a comedy number.  I love The Happy Time score, but don't think it comes anywhere near Hallelujah!  Go back and listen to the score.

I love most Sondheim scores, but totally hate the score for Into the Woods.  I find it so repetitive, especially the title song.  There are a couple of terrific songs, but Phantom has a slew of them.

Nine is one of my favorite scores ever and the recording of it is amazing, with the last 10 minutes or so being a mini-masterpiece.  I loved Dreamgirls, saw it more times than Nine, in fact, but I don't think the score is particularly good, with the notable exceptions of Step Into the Bad Side and And I Am Telling You and maybe I am Changing.

Urinetown's score is terrific.  It won the Tony against a much bigger financial hit because the voters thought that it was better, not because of its chances of being a success on the road.  I disliked Sweet Smell intensely and have to admit to never listening to the score again, but Millie ain't in the same league.

I agree with Jeffrey K's first three comments comparisons...I only disagree with the last one.  I think Finding Neverland was last year's best score, which I know is a mortal sin to say, but there ha go.

Finally, I think She Loves Me should have won in its year, but nothing was gonna get in the way of the juggernaut, Hello! Dolly! score, which was the weakest part of the show IMO, although there are God knows some wonderful songs in the show.  Since it was not even nominated, it is moot.  And I think Chess should have won in its year, even though I think the Les Mis score is wonderful...I think Chess is one of the best ever.  

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#41Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 7:16pm

After Eight, I agree that No Strings has prettier music, but the lyrics in How to Succeed are some of the best ever written, and I think that the two work together. Nothing against Rogers's lyrics in No Strings, but I think that the songs as a whole don't work as well. Unfortunately, while I like Milk and Honey's score, but I don't think it's Herman's best. I totally forgot that The Gay Life was that same year, but I agree that it was the best score that year. Simply divine.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#42Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 7:29pm

Agree re Hallelujah being a quality score. My luck when I saw it Uggams was out and I saw it with Freida Payne.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 11/30/15 at 07:29 PM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#43Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 10:17pm

I agree with Jarethan re: Chess, although the Broadway version of the score isn't the strongest one. Gypsy didn't have to suffer a loss of Best Score to The Sound of Music, thank god, only because the category didn't exist that year.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

c0113g3b0y
#44Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 10:22pm

Kinky boots.

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#45Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 11/30/15 at 11:06pm

Jarethan:

Urinetown not only played more performances than  thoroughly modern Millie (it only closed because they lost their theater to demolition and thought it unwise to love the production elsewhere), but it turned a profit on Broadway.  Millie closed at a loss.  If I remember correctly, Millie only made back about 80% of its initial investment.  

Having worked in various parts of the touring theater industry, I can tell you that many presenters base their entire decisions of what shows to bring in solely on title alone.  Urinetown really scared many of them.  Millie was a far "safer" and more marketable bet for them. I can guarantee you that virtually the entire bloc of road presenters voted that over Urinetown.  It's hard to explain how a show that wins best book, score, and director also isn't the best musical.  

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

binau Profile Photo
binau
#46Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 12/1/15 at 2:17am

Without a doubt I think Matilda should have won over Kinky Boots. I did enjoy Kinky Boots and find myself occasionally listening to the recording (I particularly enjoy "Hold Me In Your Heart"Tony for best score that didn't deserve it. Indeed, perhaps in another year its win might have been well deserved. But Matilda's score (to me, at least) is absolutely groundbreaking and uses music and lyrics in a far more innovative and interesting way than Kinky Boots does. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Mister Matt
#47Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 12/1/15 at 5:30pm

Hallelujah! Baby! Has gotten trashed by several of you.  I personally think it is a wonderful score and am appalled that anyone would even mention How Now Dow Jones, which has exactly 2 good songs, one a comedy number.?

I certainly didn't trash it.  I just prefer How Now, Dow Jones which has exactly more than 2 good songs, comedic or otherwise.

Go back and listen to the score.

I have.  Very recently.  Which is how I based my opinion.

I love most Sondheim scores, but totally hate the score for Into the Woods.  I find it so repetitive, especially the title song.  There are a couple of terrific songs, but Phantom has a slew of them.

Speaking of repetitive, Phantom of the Opera only introduces 3 new songs into the second act.  The rest of the act (as well as much of the first) is composed of reprises and repeated motifs.

trpguyy
#48Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 12/1/15 at 5:41pm

Kinky Boots should not have won the Tony, even if it were the only one in the category.

undercoveractor Profile Photo
undercoveractor
#49Tony for best score that didn't deserve it
Posted: 12/1/15 at 7:08pm

I'd also like to register my support of HALLELUJAH, BABY! It is wonderful and with FUNNY GIRL and GYPSY, the best of Jule Syne, imo.

TITANIC absolutely deserved that Tony!! ...and I think the score to STEEL PIER is great.

THE WILD PARTY will someday get its' due....AIDA does not hold a candle to it in artistic quality, imo.

KINKY BOOTS has some good songs, but that award was for Cyndi Lauper. MATILDA is one of the most impressive and moving things I have ever seen, 

I like and listen to WOMAN OF THE YEAR quite a bit, but it was score of the Year because there wasn't really another option that Year.

Like WILD PARTY, WOMEN ON THE VERGE will one day get its' due as well. I am more impressed by it  on each listen.....and Laura Benanti gave one of the best performances in musical ever as far as I am concerned. Had I chosen the winners that year, WOTV would have 2 Tony Awards.

SUNDAY IN THE PARK and THE RINK are both classic and close to perfect scores...LA CAGE is good, but not in the same league, imo.

1991 was a really great year for musicals, but my vote would have gone to THE SECRET GARDEN. That show was an emotional punch in the throat for me and I count it among my most cherished theatre experiences.

I don't know if I would call it 'Better' but I certainly enjoy BARNUM more than EVITA.

THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY did nothing for me when I saw it but so many go apesh*t for that score, maybe I need to give it a listen.