pixeltracker

What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?- Page 4

What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?

Colle
#75What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 1:24pm

I would like Cinderella or You're a Good Man Charlie Brown. Also, I would think Beauty and the Beast would be good, but it has the same problem as Mary Poppins(owned by Disney).

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#76What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 1:34pm

Colle said: "I would like Cinderella or You're a Good Man Charlie Brown. Also, I would think Beauty and the Beast would be good, but it has the same problem as Mary Poppins(owned by Disney)."

BatB and Mary Poppins are the reasons why I would love it if ABC got in on this live musical thing. They could even use it as a way to test out future potential Broadway adaptations of their movies once they run out of current Disney shows to use. (Frozen, anyone?)

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire
Updated On: 12/4/15 at 01:34 PM

gcal
#77What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?

I would love to see them do The Secret Garden

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#78What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?

I think A Christmas Story would be a good choice.

Zadan & Meron are already gonna be producing a film adaptation of Pippin for Harvey Weinstein.

Maybe.  It really hasn't been anything other than a mention for the past couple of years.  Much like the Guys and Dolls or In the Heights film projects.  Regardless, Pippin is going to be too dark and adult for an NBC Live musical.  Spelling Bee is also a bit too saucy for this project as well.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

rattleNwoolypenguin
#79What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 1:36pm

They could do a hybrid of You're a Good Man Charlie Brown and Snoopy the Musical

DigificWriter
#80What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 2:04pm

The Phantom of the Opera

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Les Miserables

Any one of these three would be guaranteed to draw more viewers than The Sound of Music Live did, no questions asked.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#81What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 2:14pm

NBC can do whatever. I want IFC to air a live musical and I want it to be Urinetown or Bat Boy.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

musicaljen Profile Photo
musicaljen
#82What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 2:15pm

There is only one show that could have beaten TSOM Live and that is The Wizard of Oz and Wicked, but I don't see any of the two now happening

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#83What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 2:19pm

musicaljen said: "There is only one show that could have beaten TSOM Live and that is The Wizard of Oz and Wicked, but I don't see any of the two now happening"

By any chance, are you psychic?

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

DigificWriter
#84What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 3:58pm

musicaljen said: "There is only one show that could have beaten TSOM Live and that is The Wizard of Oz and Wicked, but I don't see any of the two now happening

"

There has only ever been one stage adaptation of The Wizard of Oz as most people are familiar with it, and even though it has the score from the 1939 film plus additional material by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice, it's not anywhere near as good as the scores for The Wiz, Peter Pan Live and The Sound of Music. Wicked's score isn't even as good as the scores for those three shows, to be honest.

Updated On: 12/4/15 at 03:58 PM

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#85What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 4:00pm

MAN OF LA MANCHA with Hugh Jackman and Audra McDonald.

broadwayboy223
#86What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 4:09pm

Don't they already have Music Man optioned?

Theater_Nerd
#87What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 4:11pm

MichelleCraig said: "MAN OF LA MANCHA with Hugh Jackman and Audra McDonald

As holiday family entertainment?  It's a pretty somber piece and Aldonza is not a family friendly type of character.

Theater_Nerd
#88What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 4:16pm

broadwayboy223 said: "Don't they already have Music Man optioned?

They did but I truly hope they don't do it. Zadon and Meron already produced the highly unnecessary television movie with Matthew Broderick and Kristin Chenoweth. I really hope they choose something that's quite not so obvious and predictable.

RaiseYouUp Profile Photo
RaiseYouUp
#89What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 4:20pm

I just pray they do a good musical next time. Sound of Music is a good show, but Peter Pan and The Wiz are a couple of my absolute least favorite shows. I didn't bother watching either. I don't care for The Music Man, so I'm hoping they won't do that. Somehow I think Hello, Dolly! would be a good one. Or My Fair Lady.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#90What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 4:25pm

Annie Get Your Gun with Megan Hilty! Or not. After seeing her at City Center,  that is just a dream of mine. I get the show is very old fashioned and not very racially diverse. But, I love the music.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

bwayobsessed
#91What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 4:36pm

All of you are saying great classic musicals that have the right appeal but you need to remember that it needs to be something that mainstream performers can do well. Peter Pan (clearly) was not one of them. They are going to cast big names no matter what and the Wiz was something they could get appropriate talent for (the talent was not an issue last night). That being said I dont think a classic is the way to go.

Maybe something like In the Heights would be better especially with the buzz surrounding Lin Manuel.

Updated On: 12/4/15 at 04:36 PM

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#92What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 4:44pm

If they keep going in the direction of a somewhat-traditional family-friendly musical that is based on a more-well-known property, CHARLIE BROWN would make sense, but I wonder if ABC's rights to the animated specials would conflict (either legally or strategically.)

I humbly propose BIG RIVER as a thought, which covers family-friendly and based on more familiar material, or 1776 (family-friendly, certainly 3 hrs long, and likely relevant after a Presidential election.) But Encores! could have aims for 1776 that would pre-empt NBC.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

Wilmingtom
#93What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 5:19pm

It's unlikely they would want to repeat themselves by doing something they've already produced (Cinderella, Gypsy, Hairspray) although they have said The Music Man is still on the table pending getting a big star involved.  Something like Charlie Brown is too small to qualify as event television and they want something that can utilize extravgant visuals.  How about Once On this Island?  

woeisme3
#94What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 5:58pm

Another choice I think could work is Thoroughly Modern Millie. It's family-friendly (mostly), able to be stunt-casted, and is known from the Julie Andrews movie.

KCW Profile Photo
KCW
#95What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 6:06pm

Name recognition, LMM hype, diverse casting and a great plus modern score could make In the Heights a good choice, but not much room for pizazz or leads. The Bakers Wife could be great, but kinda small cast. I think Little Shop could go great, but just like Sweeny, to dark for the young uns and not exactly cheerful, even so room for everything else in both. These are the two shows I would want to see. I think that The Music Man will be what they do, but if not, Oklahoma, Fantastiks, Chorus Line, Hairspray, Into the Woods, or Hair could also be options.

I appoligise for any spelling mistakes. I may be on my mobile. Clumsy fingers and small little touchscreen keys don't mixx. I try to spellcheck, but I may miss something.

KCW Profile Photo
KCW
#96What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 6:10pm

And CATS. That's what they should do. Listening NBC? Just don't make him rap.

Edit: Unless LMM writes it. That would be heaven.

The Rum Tum Tugger is a curious cat

but he's not inquisitive for a rap

Webber's raps are like a blackboard scratch

But Lin Miranda is the proper match

I appoligise for any spelling mistakes. I may be on my mobile. Clumsy fingers and small little touchscreen keys don't mixx. I try to spellcheck, but I may miss something.
Updated On: 12/4/15 at 06:10 PM

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#97What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 6:14pm

While I'm crazy about 1776 and would love to see it get this treatment, it's not QUITE as family-friendly as the ones we've seen so far. You've got the Founding Fathers harmonizing about sexual combustibility, for one thing. What should NBC's next Live Musical Be? That and a few other lines and lyrics might take it off the short list.

theleadingplyr
#98What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 6:23pm

Annie Get Your Gun

My Fair Lady

I still think Bye Bye Birdie would be a great choice to bring back. 

Updated On: 12/4/15 at 06:23 PM

Lousy
#99What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 6:26pm

I feel like Guys and Dolls could work swimmingly, and has potential for star casting.

No one gives a damn about the list of shows you've seen.