pixeltracker

Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming- Page 2

Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#25Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 12/28/15 at 7:09pm

so this & Motown on Broadway at the same time? Both will cancel each other out & close by the end of 2016.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Jarethan
#26Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 12/28/15 at 9:35pm

I think this show was of its time.  I am probably wrong, and too lazy to research, but I think it opened in a very weak season, got major mileage from the Tony's telecast, and somehow ran for five years.  I cannot imagine lightening striking twice, and would expect this to bomb major, unless maybe they put it into the Helen Hayes, where it would have low operating costs.

i would not sit through this show again if someone gave me a fifth row center aisle seat for free, on opening night.

Jarethan
#26Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 12/28/15 at 9:35pm

I think this show was of its time.  I am probably wrong, and too lazy to research, but I think it opened in a very weak season, got major mileage from the Tony's telecast, and somehow ran for five years.  I cannot imagine lightening striking twice, and would expect this to bomb major, unless maybe they put it into the Helen Hayes, where it would have low operating costs.

i would not sit through this show again if someone gave me a fifth row center aisle seat for free, on opening night.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#27Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 12/28/15 at 9:54pm

The only hope would be ultra spectacular staging. Without that, it does not have a prayer. If they are hoping for another Jersey Boys dream on.

Poster Emeritus

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#28Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 12/29/15 at 12:41am

When's the last time a revue did well on Broadway? I don't mean a juxebox show, but a show with no actual story line, etc. Just songs. I can't see this lasting very long at all. Unless they get some big stars attached. Fantasia? 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#28Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 12/29/15 at 12:41am

When's the last time a revue did well on Broadway? I don't mean a juxebox show, but a show with no actual story line, etc. Just songs. I can't see this lasting very long at all. Unless they get some big stars attached. Fantasia? 

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#29Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 12/29/15 at 1:33am

Jarethan said: "I think this show was of its time.  I am probably wrong, and too lazy to research, but I think it opened in a very weak season, got major mileage from the Tony's telecast, and somehow ran for five years.  I cannot imagine lightening striking twice, and would expect this to bomb major, unless maybe they put it into the Helen Hayes, where it would have low operating costs.

The only other new musical that season was Sunset Boulevard (which I believe won book and score by default) so yes. Lead actress had only two nominees that year- Glenn Close and Rebecca Luker. Smokey Joe's didn't win anything, but they did get to do a big number on the telecast. I also remember they won the Grammy that year for Show Album, which they cleverly advertised for years as "Best Musical Grammy Award Winner."

Updated On: 5/30/16 at 01:33 AM

BobBenson Profile Photo
BobBenson
#30Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 12/29/15 at 8:33am

CarlosAlberto said: "ClydeBarrow said: "Mr Roxy said: "I therefore have no idea what the race factor has to do with this or any show for that matter."

It's because CarlosAlberto's favorite pastime is finding racism where there is none."

No it's not. My favorite pastime is laying pipe. And my post was a friggin' joke...such a group of uptight ninnies on this board. Pull the wedgies out your asses.

"

LMAO!!!!!!! Thanks. I'm in a public place and I just busted out laughing. Now people are staring. Never thought I'd see the phrase "laying pipe" used on BroadwayWorld.

Updated On: 12/29/15 at 08:33 AM

Copperfield2
#31Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 12/29/15 at 11:16am

It would make more sense to bring back this show to off-Broadway, maybe New World Stages. Is there really an audience for this now? What is the point?

yfs
#32Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 12/29/15 at 11:43am

The point is, I would guess, that the show survived mediocre reviews and went on to have a five year run. The Times couldn't kill it, and neither could the culture vultures. The Tony telecast certainly brought it to the attention of a wider public, but a five year run is not the result of a Tony telecast -- it's the result of an adoring audience that creates word-of-mouth. That audience didn't consist of avid theatergoers, to be sure, but of a general public that had a great time -- for five years, which ain't hay. It's a relatively cheap show to mount, and will have low running costs, so why not? The question is whether that adoring audience has completely aged out of theatergoing, given that the song catalogue they adored was mostly from the late '50s and early '60s. That will be interesting to see. As for the talent on stage, which was extraordinary, they were mostly unknowns and probably will be again, since there isn't a star part that would attract a real star. So it's a good opportunity for letting some really talented people show off what they can do. Personally, I'm up for it, but, then, I remember those songs with a lot of passion. 

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#33Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 12/29/15 at 11:53am

RippedMan said: "When's the last time a revue did well on Broadway? I don't mean a juxebox show, but a show with no actual story line, etc. Just songs. I can't see this lasting very long at all. Unless they get some big stars attached. Fantasia? 

This is a joke, right?  That is clearly After Midnight - revue with the same choreographer starring Fantasia.

Different Drum
#34Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 12/29/15 at 12:16pm

When was the last time a revival of a musical revue did well on Broadway - that's a better question.

Clyde15
#35Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 1/10/16 at 11:30pm

Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming

Clyde15
#36Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 1/10/16 at 11:30pm

I guess this Equity notice confirms the Smokey Joe's revival

#37Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 1/11/16 at 11:07am

No one can replace BJ Crosby and Pattie D"Arcy

BroadwayBeebe
#38Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 5/26/16 at 11:21am

Does anyone know if this is still happening or have any information on it? Seems to have gone quiet and previews were scheduled to begin in July.

Jarethan
#39Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 5/26/16 at 4:58pm

BroadwayBeebe said: "Does anyone know if this is still happening or have any information on it? Seems to have gone quiet and previews were scheduled to begin in July.

"I hope not...between this and CATS, I can't imagine a sorrier duo of revivals.  Well, at least I won't have to see either one.

¿Macavity?
#40Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 5/26/16 at 5:24pm

Hahaha, this thread must have zipped right by me in December, I just noticed that I was reading comments from last December! I am a little sad to see that Hamilton22 didn't JUST post, because I've heard nothing from him in months. Come back!!!

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#41Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 5/26/16 at 5:25pm

ACL2006 said: "so this & Motown on Broadway at the same time? Both will cancel each other out & close by the end of 2016."

Motown is an 18 week limited run anyway (http://www.motownthemusical.com/ homepage). It's basically the Nation Tour stopping by NYC for a few months before continuing on.

The original production of Smokey closed over 15 years ago after enjoying a wildly successful 5+ year run. I'd think with this creative team, there's definitely a chance of it doing somewhat good and at the very least make way for a new national tour. They need to work on that book though. 

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Broadwaystar2
#42Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 5/26/16 at 5:41pm

It is without a doubt still happening! I'm sure a cast list will be out soon.

mar6411
#43Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 5/29/16 at 9:16am

It is without a doubt still happening!

Yesterday I looked at the list of Upcoming Broadway Shows that Playbill has.  Smokey Joe's has always been listed under "Announced for the 2016 - 17 Season" with the July 29 preview date.  Yesterday it is off the list and listed below in the "In the Works" section with everything a TBA and a note that says "Originally announced to open in summer 2016."

I'm guessing it's not happening.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#44Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 5/30/16 at 11:24pm

maybe it's being postponed until the Spring due to not being able to secure a theater? Though the Longacre remains empty.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#45Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 8/22/16 at 3:02pm

Does this mean something?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJaqqcEBmZB/

#46Smokey Joe's Cafe Revival Coming
Posted: 8/22/16 at 3:04pm

!!!!!!

abbagirl Profile Photo
abbagirl

Videos