pixeltracker

Hamilton's "Satisfied" the best unrequited Broadway love song ever?- Page 2

Hamilton's "Satisfied" the best unrequited Broadway love song ever?

IlanaKeller
#25Hamilton's
Posted: 12/29/15 at 6:13pm

"You Don't Need to Love Me" from "If/Then."

Twitter: @IlanaKeller Latest work: app.com/topic/asbury-park-broadway/

After Eight
#26Hamilton's
Posted: 12/29/15 at 6:51pm

"I can't think of a better one."

Have you tried?

Truly, this has entered the realm of the absurd.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#27Hamilton's
Posted: 12/29/15 at 7:23pm

It is one of the great songs from musicals about unrequited love.  
I can think of many that are equally great.  

And a select few I may even prefer, including:

Surabaya Johnny HAPPY END
What Did I Have that I Don't Have?   ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER
But Not for Me  GIRL CRAZY 
This Nearly Was Mine  SOUTH PACIFIC
Love Look Away  FLOWER DRUM SONG
Capricious as I Am and Fickle  PROMENADE
Not a Day Goes By  MERRILY
The Gentleman Is a Dope  ALLEGRO
Easy to be Hard  HAIR
I Get a Kick Out of You ANYTHING GOES

Updated On: 12/29/15 at 07:23 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#28Hamilton's
Posted: 12/29/15 at 7:36pm

"Truly, this has entered the realm of the absurd."

How is this absurd? 

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#29Hamilton's
Posted: 12/29/15 at 7:47pm

Miranda's lyrics aren't so much about the traditional ABAB rhymes but the turn of phrase, and in this case internal rhymes.

I love that song to pieces, and it definitely is at the top of the list for me. But it's debatable. I agree it's pointless to rank them.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#30Hamilton's
Posted: 12/29/15 at 8:24pm

What about the sexually and emotionally unrequited?  My choice: "Barcelona."

neonlightsxo
#31Hamilton's
Posted: 12/29/15 at 8:38pm

Satisfied is not an "unrequited" love song. Angelica likes Hamilton, but she loves her sister more. Did you miss the entire point? 

Peter2 Profile Photo
Peter2
#32Hamilton's
Posted: 12/29/15 at 9:04pm

There are about a thousand Broadway songs on this subject, aren't there, so any wish to find the best one is bound to go unrequited. Sondheim might be the king of unrequited love and desire, though it's often expressed obliquely rather than directly. "Send in the Clowns" is obviously the most famous of them. 

Arlen's great "The Man That Got Away" is another favorite, though technically not a Broadway song. 

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#33Hamilton's
Posted: 12/29/15 at 9:13pm

It's not an unrequited love song because Hamilton is way into her, too. 

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#34Hamilton's
Posted: 12/29/15 at 9:38pm

I think it really depends on each person - unrequited love is such a deeply layered emotion that naming one song the best isn't going to work.

For example, You Don't Need to Love Me from If/Then touches my heart in a way that a song like On My Own never could. But for someone else, that song could mean nothing.

Certainly, Satisfied is one of the best songs from one of the best musicals in years.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#35Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 3:26am

I really like the song, though wouldn't necessarily say it's the greatest of its kind. I have a couple of persnickety nitpicks with it, but can also see that it does a lot of things brilliantly and innovatively.

Speaking of the lyric "Number one...my father has no sons, so I'm the one who has to social climb for one", I may be overlooking the obvious, but who/what does the final "one" refer to? Is Angelica referring to herself? If so, the lyric seems redundant: "It is I, myself who needs to social climb for me, myself!" Or is she referring back to how this is the "number one" fundamental truth she's just realised? If so, again it seems redundant: "Number one is that I need to social climb, and that's number one!" Or is it her father? If anything, it would make more sense for her to say "I'm the one who has to social climb for four", ie her family, though obviously that wouldn't rhyme. Anyway, if anyone can be bothered with this minor question, your thoughts would be appreciated...

Updated On: 12/30/15 at 03:26 AM

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#36Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 4:27am

Here's a change of pace. "Lonely Room" from Oklahoma. Far from the prettiest song Rodgers ever wrote, but does it expose the soul of this poor friendless loner and the twin emotions of hopeless love and raging hatred aroused in him by Laurie and her successful suitor.

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#37Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 4:34am

Fan123 said: "I really like the song, though wouldn't necessarily say it's the greatest of its kind. I have a couple of persnickety nitpicks with it, but can also see that it does a lot of things brilliantly and innovatively.

Speaking of the lyric "Number one...my father has no sons, so I'm the one who has to social climb for one", I may be overlooking the obvious, but who/what does the final "one" refer to? Is Angelica referring to herself? If so, the lyric seems redundant: "It is I, myself who needs to social climb for me, myself!" Or is she referring back to how this is the "number one" fundamental truth she's just realised? If so, again it seems redundant: "Number one is that I need to social climb, and that's number one!" Or is it her father? If anything, it would make more sense for her to say "I'm the one who has to social climb for four", ie her family, though obviously that wouldn't rhyme. Anyway, if anyone can be bothered with this minor question, your thoughts would be appreciated...

"

Her father has no sons- so she has to find a good husband (ie a son) who is worthy of marrying into the family and has ways to further strengthen them. The task is on her because she's the oldest, smartest, etc.  so she can't afford to marry for love. For one means a man.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#38Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 5:17am

OIC, so it's a specific reference to the "no sons" part of the lyric? "My father has no sons so I'm the one who has to social climb for [a son-in-law]"? That makes more sense. Thanks!

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#39Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 7:33am

Satisfied isn't a song about unrequited love....it's about sacrifice. In musical context, both Alexander and Angelica have feelings towards another, and if she hadn't sacrificed him for Eliza, they'd be together. Interesting premise for a thread, not completely on par with the theme of the song. I think it would be top five in my opinion if it was actually about unrequited love. 

My vote also goes for "Every Day a Little Death", especially Erin Davie & Ramona Mallory's rendition from 2009. 

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Dave19
#40Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 7:51am

It sounds cheap, like one of the tracks on a "destiny's child" album.

Is this supposed to be "innovative" because a cheap rap song is about love for the first time, instead of bitches, grills and automobiles?

The melody of this "song" is completely worthless.

What kind of world is it turning into?

Edit: why is there so much screaming and shouting and noise on the Hamilton cast recording? It sounds like a street protest. Is this a play? Because I don't hear singing.

Updated On: 12/30/15 at 07:51 AM

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#41Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 7:58am

Fan123 said: "OIC, so it's a specific reference to the "no sons" part of the lyric? "My father has no sons so I'm the one who has to social climb for [a son-in-law]"? That makes more sense. Thanks!

"

And yet the song is a lie:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Schuyler

Philip and Catherine Schuyler had 15 children.  Complete lists of the kids are elsewhere on the Internet.

HamfourHam
#42Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 9:25am

It sounds cheap, like one of the tracks on a "destiny's child" album.?

There's absolutely nothing cheap about the Hamilton score. Especially Satisfied. 

Edit: why is there so much screaming and shouting and noise on the Hamilton cast recording? It sounds like a street protest. Is this a play? Because I don't hear singing.

The sound you are hearing is rap infused with Hip Hop and singing. And it's glorious. But let's pretend you are smarter than everyone who sees how Good Hamilton's score is.

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#43Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 9:57am

Wee Thomas2 said: "Fan123 said: "OIC, so it's a specific reference to the "no sons" part of the lyric? "My father has no sons so I'm the one who has to social climb for [a son-in-law]"? That makes more sense. Thanks!

"

And yet the song is a lie:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Schuyler

Philip and Catherine Schuyler had 15 children.  Complete lists of the kids are elsewhere on the Internet.

"

Yeah, the show has a lot of inaccurate information and I'm a bit nervous that it's going to wind up becoming the  "true story" 

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#44Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 10:01am

Dave19 said: "It sounds cheap, like one of the tracks on a "destiny's child" album.

Is this supposed to be "innovative" because a cheap rap song is about love for the first time, instead of bitches, grills and automobiles?

The melody of this "song" is completely worthless.

What kind of world is it turning into?

"

I don't know how it sounds if you don't see the show first but if you do, your thoughts would probably be different. IMHO, the album is flat compared to the show. Of course there's screaming and protests, there's a war going on.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#45Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 10:16am

Hellob said: "And yet the song is a lie: "

Miranda has explained that his version is dramatically stronger (and I think he is right).

"Yeah, the show has a lot of inaccurate information and I'm a bit nervous that it's going to wind up becoming the  'true story''"

This aspect of the "story" is not germane to the essential American history. What it (with Helpless) is essential to is introducing one of the great themes of the show-who tells your story.

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#46Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 10:26am

HogansHero said: "Hellob said: "And yet the song is a lie: "

Miranda has explained that his version is dramatically stronger (and I think he is right).

"Yeah, the show has a lot of inaccurate information and I'm a bit nervous that it's going to wind up becoming the  'true story''"

This aspect of the "story" is not germane to the essential American history. What it (with Helpless) is essential to is introducing one of the great themes of the show-who tells your story.

"

The lie part was another poster, mine was the second part. But, I agree with you in theory but if it's being used in school (which it is) then that's worrying but if people don't want to research and just believe what they want, that's ok, too, I guess. Obviously, the whole lives can't be done in 2.5 hours 

theatreguy12
#47Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 10:34am

qolbinau said: "I prefer the simplicity and earnestness of "Loving You" from Passion (but I like Satisfied, too)."

I never saw Passion. The first time I heard "Loving You" was on the Johnny Mathis Broadway album.  I thought the lyrics were powerful and the music beautiful.  It left a huge impression.  So I agree.

I also think "Love Look Away" really captures the feelings of a woman who is in love with someone who isn't in love with her.

"But Not For Me" is super when it involves a character who we know isn't going to get the guy or girl.  But if we know she or he is, it's not as meaningful.  For example, when it's used in Crazy For You.  We know Polly is going to get her man.

"Somewhere" from WSS.  Tony and Maria do have the opportunity to fall in love with each other (so it's not like they're in love with someone who has eyes for another), but the way the musical ends is wrenching.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#48Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 11:08am

Saw this show last night and loved it.  I'm still processing the songs and while I liked "Satisfied", I Love "But Not For Me", especially when sung by Kelli O'Hara.  I think that the songs in Hamilton tell much of the storyline, but that doesn't always translate to songs that will move people in the same way that a song that accentuates the emotion would.  Also I agree with a previous poster that the love she sings about is shared by Hamilton, so while being a great song, it's not really in that category of song.  

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

serene_embers
#49Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 11:29am

I really like Satisfied but I don't really think of it as a song about unrequited love.  If she had really wanted to (at least,  from the perspective of the musical) Angelica could have him to herself. 

I really like "Losing My Mind" from Follies and "I Know Him So Well" from Chess.