gstrus2
#50HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:26pm

Ryann Redmond for Tracy!

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#51HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:29pm

RaiseYouUp said: "This is wonderful news! I'm so glad that NBC has chosen a great show to produce this time!

"

Because The Sound of Music & The Wiz aren't "great shows" ??????????

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#52HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:40pm

I'm guessing Andrew Rannells or NPH for Corny;

Nick Jonas or MAYBE (if he doesn't age anymore in his face/hair) Darren Criss for Link

Unknown for Tracy AND Little Inez

Hopes:

Anna Kendrick or Amanda Bynes (a TRIUMPHANT return) for Penny

Cheno for Velma

Danielle Brooks for Motormouth (is she too young?)

It's funny to me that Queen Latifah, Elijah Kelley, and Christopher Walken all have ties to it....

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#53HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:41pm

I doubt age would be an issue for Efron, I mean look at Grease. 

But I'm sure they want to cast people who were not in the movie.

Otherwise it would just be the movie on stage.

I can't wait to see who's gonna play Edna.

....but the world goes 'round

broadwayboy223
#54HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:42pm

Do you think Queen Latifah will return to reprise her role? I could see it. Maybe now that Kristen Bell is on NBC she could do Amber, Penny or Velma? I could see Megan Hilty being in this too.

KathyNYC2
#55HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:53pm

There are just so many talented young people out there. I really love Kristen Bell & Anna Kendrick but do we really need someone in their 30's playing high school students Tracy or Penny? Just no...

UrNotAMachine
#56HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:54pm

NBC's live musicals will continue to miss the mark until they start doing them with live audiences. Without one, it feels incredibly awkward and it lacks any semblance of energy. FOX has the right idea with having one for Grease Live. I hope it works out for them so live audiences become the standard.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#57HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:58pm

KathyNYC2 said: "There are just so many talented young people out there. I really love Kristen Bell & Anna Kendrick but do we really need someone in their 30's playing high school students Tracy or Penny? Just no..."

So? Stockard Channing was only 33 when she played Rizzo.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#58HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:58pm

Sunny11 said: "I don't think that Efron is age appropriate now, he bulked up considerably for a movie and, while he looked amazing, didn't look high school age at all."

I agree with him not being appropriate now, but he was only 19 when they made the movie and I don't think there was anyone else in the world more appropriate to play Link in the movie. It was the perfect role for him at the time.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Updated On: 1/13/16 at 01:58 PM

GottaHaveAGimmick Profile Photo
GottaHaveAGimmick
#59HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:02pm

Yay! Good choice.

Seth McFarland for Corny Collins.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#60HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:02pm

This is probably the most exciting one yet for me, on name alone. It'll be nice to have a pro-shot presentation of the actual stage show.

Is "safe" such a bad thing? Network TV is not the place for innovation and cutting edge.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#61HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:05pm

I will say that I agree with the sentiment about the live audience. This is one of those shows that believe really should require a live audience due to the high level of humor and energy of the show -- especially the humor aspect of the piece.

Updated On: 1/13/16 at 02:05 PM

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#62HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:06pm

I love Latifah... but please no... Get me a women who can SANG that song!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#63HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:06pm

They should film them in a real theatre too. Not just a studio.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Hairspray0901
#64HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:08pm

Well, to say I'm excited is a complete and total understatement. I have no words. This is amazing.

serene_embers
#65HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:11pm

I actually quite liked the latest movie version that was done (nearly 10 years ago now!) so I'm kinda...indifferent about this at the moment.  Though I can understand choosing it for this particular type of production.

I really enjoyed James Marsden as Corny in the film.  I think he could still pull it off.  I also really loved Zac as Link but think he's aged out by now.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#66HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:13pm

Can we get a real drag queen this time?

With all due respect, John Waters wrote Edna Turnblad as a woman and Divine chose to play her that way.  It was never played as a "man in drag" which Divine never was - every female role he ever played was played as a real woman.  This idea was honored in the Broadway adaptation and every actor who has played Edna played her as a woman.  Never as a drag act.  

Also, per John Waters' request, Tracy will always be cast with an unknown.  Ricki Lake was discovered for the original 1988 film; though she had some prior Broadway credits, Marissa Jaret Winokur was a total unknown when she starred in the 2002 Broadway adaptation and Nikki Blonsky was discovered for the 2007 film adaptation of the Broadway musical.  So yes, like they did with THE WIZ Live!, an open call will be held for the casting of Tracy Turnblad.  

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#67HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:14pm

AUDRA for Motormouth? She is the right choice for any part in my book...

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#68HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:14pm

I thought the movie was pretty great with the exception of Travolta's (still-odd) choice to play it more or less "straight" as a woman. It didn't really work, despite some bright moments.

I hope to see a full-on drag performance this time. It's the anchor of the show.

The rest of the film I thought was wonderful. But you gotta get Edna right or makes things weird.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#69HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:15pm

Jshan05 said: "AUDRA for Motormouth? She is the right choice for any part in my book..."

I love Audra, but I need a good ol' gospel belt for Motormouth, please and thank you!

Updated On: 1/13/16 at 02:15 PM

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#70HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:23pm

Willam for Edna!

teddy1996
#71HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:40pm

I think this is a great idea. I really hope they just do the stage version rather than do a mixture of both the film and the stage show. I also want them to cast a newcomer to play tracy. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#72HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:46pm

Besides several things from THE WIZ, SOUND OF MUSIC and PETER PAN were close to their stage adaptations and NBC seems to have the right idea as far as that goes. I really do hope they CONSIDER a live audience for this!

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#73HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:48pm

Maybe NBC will cast all 4 teens using unknowns? Even though I would LOVE to see Amanda Bynes back in the spotlight.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#74HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:49pm

I'm sure they'll do a talent search for Tracy and build that into the promos.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22