pixeltracker

HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...- Page 4

HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#75HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:54pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Can we get a real drag queen this time?

With all due respect, John Waters wrote Edna Turnblad as a woman and Divine chose to play her that way.  It was never played as a "man in drag" which Divine never was - every female role he ever played was played as a real woman.  This idea was honored in the Broadway adaptation and every actor who has played Edna played her as a woman.  Never as a drag act.  

Can some learned person explain fantasy and reality re the above.Is Edna a man or a woman. Is it a gimmick? Can't be about acceptance otherwise she would be drag and Tracey adopted. Love the show but never understood Edna----need some help here.

Thanks

SL....X

"

slmlbl Profile Photo
slmlbl
#76HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 3:00pm

Bennati as Velma- Please?

I'd could see Matthew Morrison as Corny as a nod to the original production and thank to his popularity.

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#77HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 3:09pm

slmlbl said: "Bennati as Velma- Please? I'd could see Matthew Morrison as Corny as a nod to the original production and thank to his popularity."

I love these ideas...they would both be great!

"

Sunny11
#78HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 3:11pm

Laura Bell Bundy as Velma  could work too. From Daughter to Mother ! 

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#79HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 3:13pm

Maybe Jennifer Hudson will want to continue on her theater work and step into the role of Motormouth? Then we'd really be taken to church.

BroadwayGirlie2 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirlie2
#80HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 3:18pm

I would be excited to see this as a musical on NBC.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#81HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 3:25pm

SweetLips said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "Can we get a real drag queen this time?

With all due respect, John Waters wrote Edna Turnblad as a woman and Divine chose to play her that way.  It was never played as a "man in drag" which Divine never was - every female role he ever played was played as a real woman.  This idea was honored in the Broadway adaptation and every actor who has played Edna played her as a woman.  Never as a drag act.  

Can some learned person explain fantasy and reality re the above.Is Edna a man or a woman. Is it a gimmick? Can't be about acceptance otherwise she would be drag and Tracey adopted. Love the show but never understood Edna----need some help here.

Thanks

SL....X

With all due respect, Sweet Lips, Devine never ever looked like a real woman. Not from this planet anyway. You've seen that makeup right? Devine was great as Edna, and a wonderful actor too, but never once convincing as a "real woman."

And Harvey was even further away from any "realness" in the musical, which is what we're talking about here.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 1/13/16 at 03:25 PM

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#82HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 3:25pm

Jshan05 said: "Maybe Jennifer Hudson will want to continue on her theater work and step into the role of Motormouth? Then we'd really be taken to church."

UMMM YES TO THAT!!! TAKE ME TO CHURCH J HUD.

Sorry for the enthusiasm. 

Hairspray0901
#83HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 3:30pm

I'd love to see Anna Kendrick as Penny and Sarah Paulson as Prudy/Matron/Gym Teacher (Though, I wonder if they would split that role). Matthew Morrison as Corny is a great idea. I'd also kind of love Jane Krakowski as Velma.

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#84HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 3:34pm

I would also love to see Anna Kendrick as Penny! Whoever said Amanda Bynes--have you seen her recently? Homegirl is bat **** crazy. #stopamanda

http://hellogiggles.com/15-craziest-amanda-bynes-moments-a-timeline-and-analysis/

Roscoe
#85HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 3:38pm

With all due respect, Best12bars, Divine was at least as convincing as a woman as Kim Davis is.

The biggest problems I had with the film were Travolta's dreadful fake-looking prosthetic makeup and his decision to re-conceive Edna so that she was an agoraphobic with severe body image issues -- light years away from the joyous figure embodied so memorably by Divine and Fierstein.

I guess John Goodman's just plain too old for the role now.  Damn.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 1/13/16 at 03:38 PM

electrode10
#86HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 3:38pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hairspray-set-as-nbcs-next-855371

"He noted he would be open to having John Travolta reprise his role from Zadan and Meron's 2007 rendition."

There are far better options, IMHO, as some have mentioned already.

"Speaking with THR after The Wiz, Zadan and Meron noted that Music Man was contingent on finding the right star, while A Few Good Men was being held up with rights issues. Producers also stressed that unlike Fox's upcoming Grease Live, they have no plans to stage a production with a live studio audience."

A girl can dream, I guess...

Updated On: 1/13/16 at 03:38 PM

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#87HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 3:39pm

Eric Stonestreet as Edna, please!

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#88HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 3:41pm

Littleshopofcarrie said: "Eric Stonestreet as Edna, please!"

YES!!!

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#89HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 3:43pm

Littleshopofcarrie said: "Eric Stonestreet as Edna, please!

Love this idea--though I think my ideal casting would have been Robin Williams if he were still with us. He would have been hysterical and he had some experience with drag from Miss. Doubtfire!

"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#90HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 3:50pm

With all due respect, Best12bars, Divine was at least as convincing as a woman as Kim Davis is.

LOL I would say even more so, Roscoe!

I can't think of anyone I would LOVE to see play that part now who isn't too old for it.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 1/13/16 at 03:50 PM

JohnyBroadway
#91HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 3:51pm

I truly hope that this is a celebration of the original material and not a hybrid of the 2007 film adaptation! Bring in Jerry Mitchell and company, and this will be Magic! I also hope they reinstate all of the material that was either cut or sugared up in the film. The film adaptation while full of heart was missing a lot of wit and charm! I hope Harvey is involved in some sort of fashion. Is Megan mullally wrong for Velma? And while too young Amber Riley could be a smashing motormouth. 

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#92HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 3:56pm

^^I am assuming they'll be true to the original Broadway material because they've reverted back to the Broadway versions of both The Wiz and Sound of Music!

KathyNYC2
#93HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 3:58pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "KathyNYC2 said: "There are just so many talented young people out there. I really love Kristen Bell & Anna Kendrick but do we really need someone in their 30's playing high school students Tracy or Penny? Just no..."

"So? Stockard Channing was only 33 when she played Rizzo."

Well not that we are talking about Grease ...but Stockard would not have been my choice at age 33, nor would have Olivia Newton John who was 30. MY OPINION. Just because it was done in the past does not make me like it any better. 

If you look at older films and TV shows, teenagers were often played by grown adults...they looked ridiculous then and look ridiculous now. There are plenty of uber talented teens and 20's actresses who could carry the parts and perhaps get a younger audience to increase ratings.

"

Updated On: 1/13/16 at 03:58 PM

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#94HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 4:00pm

While I'm not the biggest fan, I think Ariana Grande could be a huge appeal as Penny...as long as she tones down her riffs/runs. She at least has some acting experience from starring in JRB's 13. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#95HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 4:08pm

Who could you guys see playing Link Larkin?

Here are some ideas I thought of:

Darren Criss

Ansel Elgort

Jonathan Groff

Grant Gustin

Jeremy Jordan

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#96HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 4:09pm

Best news of 2016 so far!

Ranger Tom
#97HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 4:11pm

Dynamite.  Real live audience and limited commercial breaks, please.   Commercials every seven minutes will kill the flow and the energy, just like it did with the SoM, Pan, Wiz.

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#98HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 4:14pm

^^The commercial breaks are how NBC is able to do these regularly, so I doubt they'll be doing less of them. While having so many breaks obviously isn't ideal, a little Broadway is better than none! HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#99HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 4:19pm

Adele as Tracy and then you can cast Broadway performers in all the other roles. Adele will bring in the numbers. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello