Spongebob Casting Annoucement

mistermanifesto Profile Photo
mistermanifesto
#2Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 10:56am

I was literally within seconds of starring this thread.

mistermanifesto Profile Photo
mistermanifesto
#3Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 10:57am

That opening on Entertainment Weekly was something else..."Who lives, who dies, who lives under a pineapple under the sea?"

Updated On: 1/25/16 at 10:57 AM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#4Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 11:05am

I wonder if Lilli Cooper is going to go to Broadway with Spongebob rather than Great Comet

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#5Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 11:29am

Is anyone else absolutely miserable over this? I feel so stupid hating something I've never seen - but this can't be good, right? This isn't "art."

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#6Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 11:35am

Just based on the description, I see it as a Peter and the Starcatcher-esque production design/conceit but more colorful and akin to the cartoon.  We'll see! I'll be curious to know/see photos of how they put it all together.

Mr. Musical Profile Photo
Mr. Musical
#7Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 11:35am

JBroadway said: "I wonder if Lilli Cooper is going to go to Broadway with Spongebob rather than Great Comet

"

I'm sure SpongeBob because it's a lead

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#8Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 11:36am

ChildofEarth said: "Is anyone else absolutely miserable over this? I feel so stupid hating something I've never seen - but this can't be good, right? This isn't "art.""

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1086381#4712615

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1081561#4648561

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#9Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 11:46am

How is this any different- or worse- than Shrek? Aladdin? Li'l Abner? You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#10Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 11:48am

Mr. Musical said: "JBroadway said: "I wonder if Lilli Cooper is going to go to Broadway with Spongebob rather than Great Comet 

I'm sure SpongeBob because it's a lead"

Is it? I grew up watching Spongebob, and if the musical is anything like the cartoon, Sandy is very much a supporting character. Spongebob and Patrick tend to take the lead, followed by Squidward and Mr. Crabs. Sandy is more of a recurring character than a series regular. 

JM226
#11Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 11:57am

ChildofEarth said: "Is anyone else absolutely miserable over this? I feel so stupid hating something I've never seen - but this can't be good, right? This isn't "art."

"

the construct of art is subjective. what you see as trash, i might see as a beautiful piece of art. as they say... one man's trash is another man's treasure. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#12Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 1:44pm

JBroadway said: "I wonder if Lilli Cooper is going to go to Broadway with Spongebob rather than Great Comet

"

It's also over in early July....she'd likely be able to still do Natasha, which doesn't start previews until September, right?  Or was it August?  Even so, they could work something out if there is a little overlap. 

And I write that hopefully, as I REALLY would like to see her again in Natasha -- I loved her.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#13Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 2:14pm

I'm surprised emmy raver lampman is in the ensemble. I would suspect she would want to stay on with Hamilton for a while.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#14Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 2:18pm

Emmy leaving Hamilton for Spongebob???? Interesting choice

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

broadwayboy223
#15Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 2:38pm

My only thought is that she might be moving to Chicago to take part in the Hamilton Chicago production?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#16Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 2:38pm

This is the best creative team for a pseudo-revue in ages. Despite being a children's show, Spongebob has a cult following for its use of surrealism and stoner humor, both styles that don't scream for musical theatre, but don't explicitly shut it out either.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#17Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 2:51pm

The poster is odd.

I can laugh at Sponge Bob on occasion. It's surreal and random and cute...perfect for a night with some friends and 420 when there's nothing better to do.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if it can maintain it's appeal at 2+ hours and at Broadway prices.

....but the world goes 'round

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#18Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 4:08pm

I'm really hoping Lilli does SpongeBob in the summer, then goes back to Comet for the fall. She was extraordinary at A.R.T., and I would so pay to see that performance again.

Even though I'm not exactly optimistic about this show, I'm so, so happy for Ethan Slater! I saw him in Claudio Quest at NYMF last summer, and he's got talent coming out of his pores. He's definitely someone to watch.

JM226
#19Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 4:09pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I'm surprised emmy raver lampman is in the ensemble. I would suspect she would want to stay on with Hamilton for a while.

"

you are assuming she had a choice. many of the actors are on one-year contracts without an option to extend. mostly the ensemble which is why you probably saw they have been doing casting calls for the ensemble over the last few months. this lines up perfectly with that scenario. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#20Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 7:52pm

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#21Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 7:53pm

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#22Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 7:53pm

BroadMagTech
#23Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 8:27pm

Any idea where it would play? Small or mid-size theatre?

_BroadwayFanatic211_
#24Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 9:30pm

The writer, I'm completely blanking on his name, but in an article I read about the musical, said that its about SpongeBob saving the world from destruction. 

I get that part of it, but what I don't get is why the writer can't write his own music. Instead, is using popular music from many artists. If its going to be a musical about a popular subject, at least try to make it like the show. So many people are expecting more than what they're going to get. 

At least other musicals that have been made off of movies or books have a more well-known cast. 

Yes I think the cast is great so far, but I think for writing a musical over such a well-known subject should have more hype-a more well-known cast.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#25Spongebob Casting Annoucement
Posted: 1/25/16 at 10:29pm

Universal Hollywood comes to mind, but that's just me.

Videos