pixeltracker

Dreamgirls to open in the West End - Page 3

Dreamgirls to open in the West End

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#50AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 2/7/16 at 1:36pm

I think Amber is a mildly pleasant actress. When she was forced to cry onscreen in Glee, it wasn't great. I think she'll be great in the role.

As for Jennifer Hudson, I haven't seen her in The Color Purple, but she was right for the character, in my mind, for the film version of Dreamgirls. She was awful in SATC. I thought she was pretty good in the Secret Life of Bees. I can't actually think of any other film acting she's done, off the top of my head. Give her a song to sing and she's dynamite.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#51AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 2/7/16 at 1:58pm

How is it that Dreamgirls has never played the West End? Have there been attempts to mount a production there before?

Also, an Oscar doesn't automatically mean you're a great actor. It means you got the most votes for a particular performance and won a prize. Now, I happen to think Jennifer has improved a lot as an actress and is marvelous in the Color Purple. But the idea that an award suddenly means one is exempt from criticism in in their field is ludicrous. 

WinstonSalem
#52AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 2/7/16 at 5:58pm

I love Jennifer and Amber's voices. But IMO Jennifer's acting in Empire (the last thing I saw her in) really was not good.  Amber is much more charismatic than Jennifer. I don't think Amber is a great actress, but that won't stop me from seeing her. And with the right direction, I think she could be very good.  I'm glad she has this opportunity.

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#53AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 2/7/16 at 6:19pm

Anyone fancy discussing the rest of the cast rather than circling around Amber and Jennifer?

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#54AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 2/7/16 at 7:38pm

Who is in the rest of the cast?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Dave19
#55AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 2/7/16 at 7:59pm

WinstonSalem said: "I love Jennifer and Amber's voices. But IMO Jennifer's acting in Empire (the last thing I saw her in) really was not good.  Amber is much more charismatic than Jennifer."

I agree about the charisma and I also think that Jennifer's voice is much too "dry" for the role of Effie. Almost like a wailing smoker. The role of Effie needs a brighter, smoother voice, like J. Holliday and Amber Riley.

Updated On: 2/7/16 at 07:59 PM

FindingNamo
#56AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 2/7/16 at 8:44pm

Well, the role should go to the one best person for the role in the world.  Objectively speaking.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#57AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 2/7/16 at 8:58pm

On what planet does Jennifer Hudson sound like a wailing smoker? 

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#58AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 2/7/16 at 11:27pm

ljay889 said: "On what planet does Jennifer Hudson sound like a wailing smoker? "

Second that. I mean, a "wailing smoker," really? 

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#59AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 3/15/16 at 12:18pm

gypsy101 said: "It's been said before, but for several years I've wanted a revival with Amber Riley, Patina Miller and Nikki M. James. Getting those three for a Broadway transfer would be perfection."

I very much doubt that Patina MIller would agree to play Deena in the stage version - especially if they are being honest to the actual stage version where the character is a supporting role. There were extremely confused choices made in the movie IMO where the plot was not able to decide if Effie is an actual person or not in the second half.

Also, do we think this particular casting would be age appropriate? Amber looks far younger than Patina.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#60AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 3/15/16 at 12:36pm

Joelle Moses comes to mind to play Deena. She was the Rachel alternate in the The Bodyguard for about a year.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#61AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 3/15/16 at 1:56pm

Do we think he will try and shoehorn in some big tap break? He seems the wrong director for this. But eh. Guess we will see. He doesn't seem to have the best eye for design/style. I think of all his shows on Broadway have awfully clunky, boring scenic designs. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#62AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 3/15/16 at 2:10pm

RippedMan said: "Do we think he will try and shoehorn in some big tap break? "

If he does (oh dear God), it better be for that Michael Jackson kid and not The Dreamettes.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#63AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 3/15/16 at 2:13pm

the Bennett choreography was so fantastic for this show, it's a shame the original choreography hasn't been recreated by someone in a revival.. But I'm waiting for the interview when Amber Riley says "I needed to learn to tap dance for this show."

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#64AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 3/15/16 at 5:23pm

ACL2006 said: "the Bennett choreography was so fantastic for this show, it's a shame the original choreography hasn't been recreated by someone in a revival.. But I'm waiting for the interview when Amber Riley says "I needed to learn to tap dance for this show."

"
Just to be really obnoxious, most of the actual choreography was done by Michael Peters (speaking of Michael Jackson...) apparently, even if he got an associate choreographer credit.  Of course this isn't unusual (going at least as far back as Gennaro, sp?, doing nearly all the Sharks numbers for WSS, or Bob Avian doing key numbers for other Bennett musicals--not to mention Thommie Walsh handling a lot of the actual choreography for his shows with Tommy Tune and later Jeff Calhoun doing the same for Will Rogers Follies and Grand Hotel.  The key element being of course that these famous director/choreographers all had final say--not to take away from their associates but I can't say any of them have made as strong an impression working on their own).

I know it's not cool to say, but I frankly would love the opportunity to see the Bennett staging live again myself...  It just seems so key to how the show works on stage (witness the lacklustre US tour a while back). 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
silent
#66AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 5/12/16 at 8:58pm

I hope they cast Trenyce as Deena Jones. I wouldn't be shocked if they went with Leona Lewis though. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#67AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 5/12/16 at 9:12pm

That's interesting (re: Amber having alternates). 

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#68AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 5/12/16 at 10:03pm

It's surprising to me that she was able to negotiate 6 shows a week. I didn't think she was a big enough draw to get that kind of deal. Although it's understandable considering what a beast that role is to sing. I'm surprised so many other ladies have done it without an alternate. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#69AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 5/12/16 at 10:07pm

I find it interesting that they are having two different alternates. Also the show opens on a Wednesday and the alternates perform on Wednesdays. I know they can just easily change the schedule around for one week, but it's interesting.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 5/12/16 at 10:07 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#71AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END
Posted: 7/20/16 at 10:46am

eehhh.