AndersonTours
#25BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/7/16 at 5:02pm

Really looking forward to this.

Scott19
#26BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/7/16 at 9:38pm

@smidge - go with Blackbird..

I had to make the same decision the other day and went with Buried Child. I loved the play as an undergrad, but it really hasn't aged all that well. Ed Harris was a standout, but the rest of the performances were erratic and the direction was a bit of a mess.

I'm back in town next month and will definitely be going to Blackbird.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#27BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/7/16 at 10:08pm

bfreak, I'm disappointed to hear that Jeff Daniels has a bad reputation among fans.  Do people think he's rude, or just not that into it?  When I saw him in God of Carnage and also in a show in Chicago, both times he was completely polite and respectful at the stage door (and my impression was that he did the stage door thing regularly).  I wouldn't say he was incredibly into it, but I find that very few actors of his age who have been famous for a long time are really into it.  (Judith Light is a notable exception.)

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"
Updated On: 2/7/16 at 10:08 PM

bfreak
#28BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/7/16 at 10:38pm

I think a little bit of both. I have never met him, but I have heard he is not too personable to people. Which is fine, but I just wanted to mention it because most people would probably be somewhat upset if an actor they REALLY liked didn't turn out to be so kind. But at least Jeff is a very good actor, and we could leave it at that.

@z5
#29BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/7/16 at 10:58pm

Tyne Daly was also extremely nice and down to earth after It Shoulda Been You, as well as Al Pacino.

Mike66
#30BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/8/16 at 9:33pm

Maybe I'm just old and cranky -- but 1 1/2 hours of a one act show is just not an evening of theatre.  To be back on the street at 9:23 PM is ridiculous (especially at the prices that they ask).

I have a feeling that this is becoming the new normal -- 20 years from now, they'll revive just the first act of Rodgers and Hammerstein -- or offer them in repertory.

Sigh

@z5
#31BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/8/16 at 9:34pm

For some shows it makes sense to only have one act, because of the storyline and all. There are some that I have seen where I cannot imagine having an intermission and then having to get back into it. For some it works extremely well, and others are good with the typical 2 acts and single intermission. 

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#32BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/8/16 at 10:21pm

I'm just getting home from tonight's performance and can't get out of my head how much this reminded me of The Night Porter, which just so happened to be playing at the IFC Center this past weekend and is very fresh in my mind. This isn't about a Holocaust survivor and her Nazi guard, but the themes and circumstances of the relationship in Blackbird are otherwise remarkably similar. 

This is going to be a hard play to discuss (or recommend) without disclosing the subject matter first. It's not really "spoilery" because the information is given to the audience very early in the play, but it still takes away some of the surprise I guess if that's important to you. I did find the mailer I received stating that years after Una and Ray had a relationship they meet up again and dredge up past is more than a tad misleading, although technically truthful. 

I thought both Daniels and Williams gave excellent performances; I can't imagine attempting to perform this once a week let alone eight times. I'm not an actor, but I imagine your body is sometimes fooled into thinking that the emotions you are pretending to have actually are real. Williams looked like a bulldozer ran over her at the curtain call. I don't know if I'll want to return to see this again, but their performances will stick with me. 

Some of the praise for their scene work must surely be shared with Mantello, who once again brings out the best in his cast. 

This is one of the strongest offerings of the season so far, but just be sure that you're ready for something heavy before going. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ChiTheaterFan
#33BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/8/16 at 10:23pm

Thank you, Whizzer. This just went from a "must see" to a "dying to see!"

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#34BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/8/16 at 11:42pm

Ah, I had been waiting to hear from you before settling on watching this during my upcoming trip, Whizzer (my Monday plans freed up after THE CRUCIBLE was postponed, still not over it). It sounds like an intense but worth it evening out.

Sorry to be that person, but was it an hour and twenty minutes tonight as well? I am looking into making dinner reservations for after the show. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and for the others who have contributed to the thread. It helps a lot when making the choice to see something you're on the fence about.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

wolfwriter2
#35BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 12:05am

Picked up rush tickets, this morning. I arrived about 10:20 and got Row F, orchestra, toward the side, full view. Loved the seats. Loved the show.

I can only imagine the performances will get even stronger and more harrowing, but Michelle Williams and Jeff Daniels are extraordinary. I cannot compare to the original, which I wanted to, but, did not see, but these two are locks for awards season.

The less said about the show, the better, so as not to spoil anything about it. As Whizzer said, it's less about spoilers than about momentum revelations. It is unsettling and leaves much to ponder, explore and think about.

85 minutes, just flies. Michelle Williams has a very long monologue that may be one of the best deliveries of a monologue that I've ever seen. She did, indeed, look like she had gone a few rounds in a boxing ring, as did Mr. Daniels. They must trust each other, a lot, to pull this off. Kudos to Joe Mantello, as well.

This is intense, not for everyone, theater, that should be seen. Go now, because I think this will be a hot ticket when the reviews come out.

Updated On: 2/9/16 at 12:05 AM

LarryD2
#36BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 7:48am

mikem said: "bfreak, I'm disappointed to hear that Jeff Daniels has a bad reputation among fans.  Do people think he's rude, or just not that into it?  When I saw him in God of Carnage and also in a show in Chicago, both times he was completely polite and respectful at the stage door (and my impression was that he did the stage door thing regularly).  I wouldn't say he was incredibly into it, but I find that very few actors of his age who have been famous for a long time are really into it.  (Judith Light is a notable exception.)

I've seen him interact with fans. He is polite. He signs autographs and might even pose for a picture. He's not overly chatty though and some people mistake this for rudeness or coldness. People need to keep in mind that he's just come offstage from a grueling play in which he doesn't leave the stage at all.

bfreak
#37BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 8:20am

Gotcha. I've never personally met him so I was just basing off of what I had heard. Happy to hear he's polite. This show seems to be a lot of work.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#38BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 8:24am

wolf- Totally agree about Williams' long monologue. She handled it very well and will probably earn her many votes come Tony time. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#39BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 9:22am

I know I keep saying this but I REALLY can't wait for this. 16 days!

neonlightsxo
#40BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 9:40am

Mike66 said: "Maybe I'm just old and cranky -- but 1 1/2 hours of a one act show is just not an evening of theatre.  To be back on the street at 9:23 PM is ridiculous (especially at the prices that they ask)."

Did you see the show or are you complaining hypothetically? Hughie is even shorter.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#41BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 10:33am

Based on these comments, I just bought TDF tickets for Monday night. The show might be too harrowing for me, but I'll deal with it.

ChiTheaterFan
#42BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/9/16 at 10:53am

How high is the stage?  Seems like this may be one I want to splurge for a good seat to get close to the performances. Row A center which is 3 rows from the stage according to my telecharge app is non-premium so it's $100 cheaper than the seats in Row B. Want to be sure I won't be obstructed being that close though. I could also buy a good left or right orchestra seat. 

ETA: Weird. On the app the Row B seats were showing premium prices, but on the website they don't show any premium. Guess I'll be taking a good seat! Really excited to see this. Updated On: 2/9/16 at 10:53 AM

wolfwriter2
#43BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 12:12am

I held off asking, as we saw this last night and have not stopped talking about it.

But, we cannot, for anything, figure out the significance of the play's title. Does anyone get it, without giving anything about the play away to those who have not seen it.

I hunted online, to no avail and I have an idea, but I would love to hear the thoughts of others.

Tx, 

wolf

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#44BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 12:21am

Has anyone seen this with TDF? Where have the seats been?

ChiTheaterFan
#45BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 1:07am

wolfwriter2 said: "I held off asking, as we saw this last night and have not stopped talking about it.

But, we cannot, for anything, figure out the significance of the play's title. Does anyone get it, without giving anything about the play away to those who have not seen it.

I hunted online, to no avail and I have an idea, but I would love to hear the thoughts of others.

Tx, 

wolf

"

I'm seeing Wednesday and will let you know if I notice anything!  I keep getting the Beatles' "blackbird" stuck in my head whenever I hear about this. 

Tim_Bain
#46BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 6:37am

Blackbird is British Slang for Jailbird...

PJPan
#47BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 9:22am

GreasedLightning said: "Has anyone seen this with TDF? Where have the seats been?"

I had TDF tickets last night and was house right in second row orchestra. Really fantastic to watch them from so close.

tcawam Profile Photo
tcawam
#48BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 12:11pm

Can't wait to see this! Bought my ticket for it the other day, I'm going to be in the city a week after opening!

Hairspray0901
#49BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 2:31pm

Seeing this tonight through TDF. After reading everyone's reviews I can't wait!