pixeltracker

LETS TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tony's- Page 5

LETS TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tony's

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#100LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 3:21pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I could see Jessie or Audra being shut out since they already won a tony award. So the tiny awards would probably nominate a newcomer."

I disagree...Talent is talent, and Audra's abilities are on another level. I'm sure if she turns out a good performance, she'll snag a nomination!

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#101LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 3:40pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I could see Jessie or Audra being shut out since they already won a tony award. So the tiny awards would probably nominate a newcomer."

You express this sentiment a lot. I don't think it makes any sense and it's discrediting to the nominating committee. If people having won or been nominated for awards a certain number of times before was a major criteria, Meryl Streep wouldn't have 19 Oscar nominations, Audra McDonald wouldn't have won 6 Tonys and so on and so on. And yes I know sometimes people tent to win an award for their "career" if they are overdue but that doesn't apply here. The general rule is you get nominated for the performance you are currently giving. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#102LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 4:03pm

ray-andallthatjazz86 said: "Audra is above the title and listed before all of her co-stars. She will undoubtedly run for lead. I just can't see the producers petitioning her to be taken down to featured. She'll compete as lead "

Again, none of us has any way of knowing that yet. We don't know whether her role is supporting or leading and we simply can't make any assumptions until we do. Celebrities are often in supporting roles. Supporting actors are often above the title. It literally happens all the time. How can you it's undoubtable when nobody had seen the show? 

Updated On: 3/10/16 at 04:03 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#103LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 4:07pm

NJ_BroadwayGirl said: "Call_me_jorge said: "I could see Jessie or Audra being shut out since they already won a tony award. So the tiny awards would probably nominate a newcomer."

You express this sentiment a lot. I don't think it makes any sense and it's discrediting to the nominating committee. If people having won or been nominated for awards a certain number of times before was a major criteria, Meryl Streep wouldn't have 19 Oscar nominations, Audra McDonald wouldn't have won 6 Tonys and so on and so on. And yes I know sometimes people tent to win an award for their "career" if they are overdue but that doesn't apply here. The general rule is you get nominated for the performance you are currently giving. "

I just don't want Carmen to leave empty handed. Her Broadway career is overdue.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Sunny11
#104LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 4:16pm

But isn't this Carmens first show on Broadway ? Before this she was most known for the Wicked touring company. It's too early  to be called overdue for a Broadway debut. 

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#105LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 4:32pm

She also played some leading roles in London

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#106LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 4:40pm

"long overdue"? Oh dear. I smell last year's Kelli vs. Kristen war coming back.

(For the record - I do think Kristen should have won over Kelli)

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

pupscotch
#107LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 4:47pm

Valentina3 said: ""long overdue"? Oh dear. I smell last year's Kelli vs. Kristen war coming back.

(For the record - I do think Kristen should have won over Kelli)

"

We already have enough of this debate with Leslie Odom Jr. vs Danny Burstein over in the Leading Actor category, we don't need it here. 

Regardless, I haven't seen Carmen Cusack, but I can see Soo being nominated over her purely because Hamilton has been so well received and is already a frontrunner in every category (except for this one, obviously). I'm seeing Bright Star next week, and I've already seen Hamilton, so I'll probably have a better idea of it then. So currently my predictions are: Jessie Mueller, Audra McDonald, Cynthia Erivo, Laura Benanti, and Philippa Soo, though they might change when I see Bright Star!

Updated On: 3/10/16 at 04:47 PM

funhamilton_rent
#108LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 4:55pm

Phillipa Soo gives an astounding, emotional, goosebump worthy performance. I've only seen her and Carmen, but she DEFINITELY deserves a spot over Carmen. Carmen was great, but Phillipa is really something else. That said, I think Carmen deserves a spot over Jessie Mueller (but that won't happen).

And btw, Kristin should have won over Kelli. Kelli should've won for Piazza or Nice Work. 

Updated On: 3/10/16 at 04:55 PM

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#109LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 4:57pm

I think the majority of people here admire Ms. Soo's exceptional work in Hamilton. And yes, she is the leading lady of her show. But the main reason people are counting her out is because, although she's the female lead, she doesn't have the stage time or focus that the other ladies being discussed have in their productions. It's naïve to not consider the possibility that the nominating committee might instead choose to recognize someone, like Cusack for example, who is the primary focus of their show and essentially carries the thing on their back.

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#110LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 4:58pm

No matter how much the Cusack vs. Soo debate is being discussed, Erivo is going to edge them out for the win. Nobody can really say who else is getting nominated but Erivo will win. Or definitely should.

NOWaWarning
#111LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 4:59pm

Also, how long does Kristin Chenoweth need to work in this business until people start spelling her first name correctly? I don't mean to nitpick, but it irks me to no end. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#112LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 5:06pm

NOWaWarning said: "Also, how long does Kristin Chenoweth need to work in this business until people start spelling her first name correctly? I don't mean to nitpick, but it irks me to no end. 

"

Well if wins a Tony...

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#113LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 5:14pm

Yet another tally-mark on the "how many times will BWW continue the Kelli vs. Kristin argument?" score-board. And as always, people still feel the need to toss in their own 2 cents on the old debate, as if it will in any way contribute to the topic at hand; as if we were all dying to find out where funhamilton_rent stood Valentina3 stood on the issue; and as if their opinions will somehow tip the scale and make us finally decide which one truly deserved the Tony. 

I don't usually resort to such heavy snark on this board, but come on guys, this is getting ridiculous. 

Updated On: 3/10/16 at 05:14 PM

NOWaWarning
#114LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 5:22pm

Valentina3 said: "NOWaWarning said: "Also, how long does Kristin Chenoweth need to work in this business until people start spelling her first name correctly? I don't mean to nitpick, but it irks me to no end. 

"

Well if wins a Tony...

"

I'm sorry, what?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#115LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 5:30pm

Valentina3 said: "Well if wins a Tony..."

I'm assuming you meant, "Well, if she wins a Tony..." and Kristin Chenoweth has indeed won a Tony Award. 1999.

smidge
#116LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 5:42pm

JBroadway said: "Yet another tally-mark on the "how many times will BWW continue the Kelli vs. Kristin argument?" score-board. And as always, people still feel the need to toss in their own 2 cents on the old debate, as if it will in any way contribute to the topic at hand; as if we were all dying to find out where funhamilton_rent stood Valentina3 stood on the issue; and as if their opinions will somehow tip the scale and make us finally decide which one truly deserved the Tony. 

If you think that's bad, the Marissa vs. Bernadette debate still pops up every once in awhile.

I don't usually resort to such heavy snark on this board, but come on guys, this is getting ridiculous. 

"

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#117LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 6:15pm

Apologies for bringing back the stupid discussion.

Let's go back to Tony 2016 discussion. Current consensus seems to say Erivo will win. This has been discussed to death (till Audra opens next week and Waitress' Bway run starts).

Is there a list of featured actresses? Because I'd like to know what you guys thought of JHud's performance.

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#118LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 6:21pm

I think that Hudson, Brooks and The girl who plays Nettie (don't know how to spell her name), should all get nominations. I think they all did incredible work

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#119LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 6:25pm

My Current Predictions for Featured Actress in a Musical are:

Who's In?:

Danielle Brooks-The Color Purple

Renee Elise Goldsberry-Hamilton

Jennifer Hudson-The Color Purple

Jane Krakowski-She Loves Me

Who Could Get In?:

Sierra Boggess-School of Rock

Jessica Hecht-Fiddler on the Roof

Jennifer Simard-Disaster!

Lookout For:

Carolee Carmello-Tuck Everlasting

Kimiko Glenn-Waitress

Keala Settle-Waitress

Longshot:

Lesli Margherita-Dames at Sea

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#120LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 6:39pm

Not to threadjack since we're not even discussing Featured Actress in this thread... but Hecht would be the luckiest woman in the world to get in with the performance she's giving in Fiddler.  Also, I think Brooks is FAR from a sure thing. If anyting, after her reviews, Jennifer Simard is MUCH closer to a sure thing than Danielle Brooks.  You've also left off Alice Ripley and Jenn Damiano for American Psycho who, though yet to be seen, obviously have Tony Award clout.

smidge
#121LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 6:46pm

Has anyone seen Tuck Everlasting out of town? Could Sarah Charles Lewis get serious consideration in either actress category?

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#122LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 7:33pm

I didn't see Tuck Everlasting out of town, and while I'm sure Lewis will be lovely in the part, I would be surprised to see her get serious consideration as a Lead, given how stacked the category is this year. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#123LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 7:54pm

It would be interesting if this was the role to get Boggess a Tony nomination.  I agree with bjh, though, I think you're underestimating the ladies from "American Psycho". I don't think Ripley has a part that'll be Award worthy, but based on the preview videos, I would rather see Damiano get a nomination over Ben Walker. Do you think producers will petition to get Damiano in the featured category? That would be smart on their part.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#124LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 3/10/16 at 7:55pm

Patti Murin is a shoe-in! 

Videos