pixeltracker

Kelli O'Hara Departs King and I on April 17th - Marin Mazzie to step in!- Page 8

Kelli O'Hara Departs King and I on April 17th - Marin Mazzie to step in!

slumdogdelaware Profile Photo
slumdogdelaware
#175Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:24pm

You guys are killing me with these reports!!

slumdogdelaware Profile Photo
slumdogdelaware
#176Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:29pm

ChiTheaterFan said: "Thanks for the reports. Sounds like a good one to add to my trip in a few weeks!  I'm totally ok with the King not being a perfect singer since I don't think it's that important for the role, as long as they're not terribly off key or anything.  :) Sounds like his acting is well worth it. 

Are either of them scheduled through a particular date?  I thought I saw something about Kim's run being limited but I can't find it now. 

Kim is on for an eight week run, May 3rd to June 26th, according to this article: http://variety.com/2016/legit/news/daniel-dae-kim-ken-watanabe-king-and-i-broadway-1201683899/

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#177Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:47pm

It's hard to put into words what I experienced tonight. I bought this ticket the day this was announced back in February, and it was a magnificent evening. Marin's voice was in top form, and she was living in the moment, and still had the confidence as if she'd been playing the part for a year. I absolutely adored Kelli in the show, but what I loved about Marin was she was very relatable. I could see the strength of my mother and her will in her performance, and that spoke volumes. 

Daniel is very animated as the King, which is good, but I was never frightened of him. But he was making strong choices, like someone else said, his comedic timing was top notch. His singing is good, but you could tell he was nervous and not singing full force. If he just puts a little more volume into his presentation, it'll be great.

So glad to be seeing the production doing so well after a year, with so many different Kings. I can't recommend this show enough, it's pure theatrical bliss. I was thinking on the subway ride home how it was 20 minutes longer than most shows you see, but it feels so much different - it's an event, not just a show.

ChiTheaterFan
NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#179Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/4/16 at 1:12am

I'll try to post more detailed thought tomorrow. But I will say, run don't walk to the Vivian Beaumont. La Mazzie's triumphant return to Broadway as Anna is not to be missed.

nolanativeny
#180Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/4/16 at 7:19am

So excited to be hearing good things! I'm going Thursday and I couldn't wait before and now I really can't!

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#181Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/4/16 at 12:04pm

From what I saw I think with a few more performances under their belt the two will be good together. Daniel is very good looking and sexy and their relationship is a bit more flirtatious then some of the other duos. Their performances were far from polished but that it to be expected given the limited rehearsal time.

brdwybuff
#182Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/4/16 at 12:53pm

So glad to hear this! I have a tic for next Wed from TDF. For those that had a tdf ticket where were the seats?

Updated On: 5/4/16 at 12:53 PM

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#183Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/4/16 at 12:53pm

I am beyond thrilled to read all of these glowing reviews!

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#184Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/4/16 at 1:21pm

brdwybuff said: "So glad to hear this! I have a tic for next Wed from TDF. For those that had a tdf ticket where were the seats?

"

I had a TDF seat and I was row N along the aisle where the guards enter in act I. Rows O and P were nearly empty so many people moved around during intermission to have more space. 

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#186Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/4/16 at 1:51pm

I had row K seat 113 all the way to the left through TDF - not a great view. I was going to move to better orchestra seats at intermission, but the empty seats filled up fast! So I moved to the loge for act 2.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#187Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/4/16 at 4:08pm

Okay, here is my attempt at some more detailed thoughts from last evening. I'm still on a bit of a high from the show, but I'll try to be clear. I hadn't seen this production yet, embarrassingly, so I can't compare performances or anything like that. 

First of all, this is such a gorgeous production. I was overwhelmed by the designs and some moments of the staging took my breath away. The supporting cast is wonderful. I can see why Ms. Miles won her Tony award. She was so fascinating to watch, even when she was in the background. Ashley Park was robbed of a Tony nomination, in my opinion. She did such extraordinary work. I also LOVED Paul Nakauchi. I will say that I was underwhelmed by Lun Tha, Chulalongkorn, and Louis, but they didn't detract from my enjoyment of the show.

Now to the newbies. I was excited to see Daniel Dae Kim onstage for the first time, having seen him on television for years. He is very lovable in the role, which provided an interesting contrast to his more stubborn and dark moments. It gave you the sense he was really conflicted as a man as well as a ruler. I thought he found a lot of humor and charm in the King, and he's also, obviously, very easy on the eyes, so his chemistry with Anna and Lady Thiang was very convincing. He doesn't have much of a singing voice, but I don't really expect that from the King and he interpreted his numbers very well.

Marin Mazzie was, in a word, sublime. I was so happy to be there on her first night. You could feel the love for her from the audience all evening, from the extended entrance applause to her curtain call. She was everything I could have wanted from an Anna. She had such intelligence, strength, integrity, warmth, and passion in her performance. Her comedic timing was excellent and her final scenes were really touching and heartbreaking. She also looked radiant in those costumes, especially the purple gown. In fact, seeing her in the hoop skirts with the red hair gave me major Passion flashbacks. And then there's that glorious voice which is as perfect and shimmering as ever. I wish her songs could have gone on forever, truly. And being able to see her inhabit the songs up close was a masterclass. There's a reason she is one of the musical theatre's most treasured artists. When Marin Mazzie is singing onstage, the rest of the world melts away and you can't help but get swept away.

I'll also echo the statement someone made about truly getting Anna and the King's connection for the first time. I've always understood it on a textual and dramatic level, but last night I felt it. There was some real heat, respect, and love there. It was fascinating and I can't imagine how it's going to progress as they settle into the roles. This season has been an embarrassment of riches and there's a lot to see, but I highly recommend finding time to revisit the King and I

ghostlight2
#188Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/4/16 at 5:11pm

Thanks for all the reports. Looking forward to see this duo.

bunnie3 Profile Photo
bunnie3
#189Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/4/16 at 7:57pm

Just got in after the matinee.    Ditto:  from posters above.  Marin Mazzie -  DIVINE!!!!  Such a superb actress.  I 've seen the 70s, 80s , an 90s bway productions, and this is by far, the best.  Ya kinda have to get Yul Brynner out of your mind, but, hey, diff actors,  diff choices.  Such glorious music/orchestrations.  Like the saying goes, they don t make em like THAT a anymore .  Such feeling in the book scenes.  I unabashedly LUVvV Bartlett Sher.

I'm "TINY"aka TheTinyMagic. BWW log on problems forever. Yeesh.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#190Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/4/16 at 8:10pm

Good god... my head has been reeling and I have been floating on cloud nine all day from what I saw at the Vivian Beaumont last night. RUN to see this glorious revival with this magnificent cast. There is truly NOTHING else like this on Broadway right now.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#191Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/4/16 at 8:34pm

You guys have convinced me! I am purchasing a ticket to see Marin. Thanks for all the reviews and insights. It's great to know she is doing a phenomenal job. I can't wait to see her!!

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#193Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/5/16 at 8:03am

I was there last night and must echo the praise being heaped no Mazzie from others. She was WONDERFUL! I'm so happy for her. To know that she beat cancer and then barreled back to Broadway with this performance is overwhelming. Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. Her "Shall I Tell You What I Think Of You" was a riot and the "Hello, Young Lovers" reprise simply glorious. 

Daniel was very sexy and funny and their "Shall We Dance" felt scandalous. 

Ruthie continues to slay every moment she's on stage. Will anyone else ever be able to play Lady Thiang again? 

I almost tripped over Carrie Preston in the lobby (she was there with Michael Emerson and Jorge Garcia) and I luckily restrained myself from launching into a full on gushfest over TGW. Nice to see Daniel's co-stars there supporting him. 

The King and I is once again the revival to see this spring. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

slow_the_rain
#194Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/5/16 at 11:13pm

I went back to the Beaumont tonight for my third visit to Siam (having seen Ken's original run, and then Jose in the summer), and I must say the show is in wonderful shape. Ruthie Ann Miles somehow continues to get better and better, and I am always consistently impressed with Ashley Park. 

I went back, of course, for Ms. Mazzie. I am not a huge Kelli O'Hara fan, but I adored her in this role. Marin is doing something incredibly different, and the show is benefitting hugely from it. Her "Hello, Young Lovers" is down a step and a half from Kelli's (a half step below the original key/recording, if my ears do not deceive me) and it was astonishing to behold. While I enjoyed Kelli's very mannered performance, I was disappointed that she never quite let go for "Shall I Tell You What I Think of You?". Marin nails it. "Shall We Dance" was absolutely electrifying. It's dripping in flirtation and sexual energy, and I was positively living for it (A half hearted clap started in the rear sides of the loge, but quickly died down). I always felt like Kelli's motivations were a little muddled at times. Marin however was always direct and motivated, especially in terms of stressing her need for a house. It was beautiful to see the reaction on her face (and hear a huge gasp from the audience) when the King finally agreed to give Anna her house. That gasp was paralleled in the second act when she vindictively bellowed the word "barbarian" at the King. It stung. It was stunning. I'm in awe. When she's fully settled in in about a month's time, Ms. Mazzie will have a powerhouse Anna, truly something to behold.

While I regret not seeing Hoon Lee, I still think Ken is my favorite King I've seen. I think there is a lot of potential with Mr. Kim, and hope that he and Marin manage to tighten up a few of their book scenes, especially their first meeting in the palace. His singing was quite good, and he mined a lot of humor from the part that, at times felt contemporary and out of place, but it's always refreshing to see someone find something semi-new with this part. 

I will say though...the dresses were wearing Marin, not the other way around. I'd suspect they didn't build entirely new pieces, as many of the hemlines seemed too low, and the bodices weren't fitted in quite the same way they were for Kelli. It looked a little sloppy at times, instead of showcasing the sleek elegance of Catherine Zuber's costumes.

SmoothLover
#195Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/6/16 at 3:21am

Hopefully the show will run for years, How was the size of the house?

DrewJoseph
#196Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/6/16 at 9:42am

I'm waiting for tickets to come available for september 15th.. I won't be in NY earlier and haven't seen this show yet but reading all your reviews really makes me excited. I really really really hope it will be running when I'm there. Now they only sell through september 4th. I'll be devastated if they'll close on the 4th. Lets hope!

Updated On: 5/6/16 at 09:42 AM

nolanativeny
#197Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/6/16 at 11:04am

SmoothLover said: "Hopefully the show will run for years, How was the size of the house?

"

I was there last night sitting in the loge (and I heard the half-hearted clapping during Shall We Dance and thought, really people?) and I'd say the loge was maybe 80% full. The first three rows were full in each section, but last two empty in the extreme side sections. From what I could see down below the last few rows were empty in most sections, along with a few empty seats here and there. 

SmoothLover
#198Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/6/16 at 8:52pm

"

I was there last night sitting in the loge (and I heard the half-hearted clapping during Shall We Dance and thought, really people?) and I'd say the loge was maybe 80% full. The first three rows were full in each section, but last two empty in the extreme side sections. From what I could see down below the last few rows were empty in most sections, along with a few empty seats here and there. 

I am sorry to hear that! I had no idea.

"

binau Profile Photo
binau
#199Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/6/16 at 8:59pm

So glad to hear Marin is doing well! She always seems to turn in a great performance (I suppose she is a great performer!). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000