Riedel on the spring musicals

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#1Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/10/16 at 10:25pm

I actually agree with his assessment for the most part.

Link

....but the world goes 'round

FindingNamo
#2Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/10/16 at 10:28pm

Is he positive, supportive, loving and amazing?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#3Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/10/16 at 10:28pm

^He can be a nice guy.

FindingNamo
#4Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/10/16 at 10:31pm

Thanks for your insider report.  #invaluable

Patti Murin had better slam the eff out of Riedel like she did civilians.  I mean, I'm sure he didn't get the details of their tragic sitch 100% right, so, knives out Patts!

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#5Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/10/16 at 10:32pm

#WWPD

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#6Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/10/16 at 10:48pm

Why does his picture on Wikipedia look nothing like him?

Jeffrey Karasarides
FindingNamo
#8Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/10/16 at 11:16pm

Which is for the best.  The role of Niles Crane was already cast.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#9Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/11/16 at 1:03am

How do I report Michael Reidel's column as abuse?

Jesus saves. I spend.

FindingNamo
#10Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/11/16 at 1:06am

Patti's gonna give him a lickin'! 

macbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
#11Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/11/16 at 8:35am

I'd disagree with Michael Riedel here, especially about Tuck Everlasting. Quality family fare has always done well on Broadway (I'll admit that I haven't seen it yet). 

I also think if Steve Martin is out everywhere promoting Bright Star that it'll get people into the theatre to see it, at least early on. Then it'll be up to the quality of the show, as always. 

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#12Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/11/16 at 8:46am

I don't think Steve Martin's promotions will have much effect on the Bright Star box office, and this is coming from someone who really enjoyed the show. A good comparison would be Sting's promotion of The Last Ship, and Sting is more well-known for his musicality than Martin is. Sting was absolutely everywhere during the entire run of The Last Ship. I can't recall a single composer in the last 5-10 years who promoted the hell out of his or her show the way he did. Still, it made little difference, even after he replaced an actor near the end of the brief run.

Bright Star's grosses started off in the toilet and although not impossible to turn them around, it seems highly improbable given all the competition his spring.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#13Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/11/16 at 8:57am

I agree with what the Scottish play said about Tuck. 

Im kind of surprised that waitress is selling well. The movie was that big, and I thought it would be another last ship situation where sara bareilles is the only draw. Maybe the women power of the show is attracting people.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#14Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/11/16 at 9:00am

Riedel mocked WAITRESS almost to the point of denigrating woman on Theatre Talk. Very shocked to hear him say anything moderately positive about the show. Although, when have we ever counted on Riedel for consistency? 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#15Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/11/16 at 9:19am

I could see Tuck doing some solid family business if the word of mouth is strong. There's a lot of competition for the family dollar right now with Aladdin still selling like gangbusters, Matilda, School of Rock and of course The Lion King. It has a shot, but the buzz will near ecstatic to bring it to the front of the pack.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

jbird5
#16Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/11/16 at 9:34am

I think Barielles has a big following among millenials. There's not much else out there for them Hamilton aside. 

Also, I love the swipe he takes at critics- from the guy who did everything in his power to sink China Doll.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#17Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/11/16 at 9:38am

IdinaBellFoster said: "Riedel mocked WAITRESS almost to the point of denigrating woman on Theatre Talk. Very shocked to hear him say anything moderately positive about the show. Although, when have we ever counted on Riedel for consistency? "

He might have mocked Waitress, but he has openly discussed how much he wants to take Hamilton down a peg. As they say, the enemy of my enemy...

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Broadwaystar2
#18Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/11/16 at 9:42am

He's also referring to Shuffle as a new musical. Is this yet confirmed?

Jeffrey Karasarides
#19Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/11/16 at 9:46am

^Not until the Tony Administration Committee discusses about it.

Updated On: 3/11/16 at 09:46 AM

neonlightsxo
#20Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/11/16 at 9:51am

Yes, there are going to be a lot of bombs this season. Thank you Captain Obvious Michael Riedel.

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#21Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/11/16 at 9:56am

Fully agree with Mr R. But where is the mega-schlockeretta for the board to get stuck into, this season? If a ship's certain to sink, let's make it a biggie...

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#22Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/11/16 at 9:57am

Kad said: "IdinaBellFoster said: "Riedel mocked WAITRESS almost to the point of denigrating woman on Theatre Talk. Very shocked to hear him say anything moderately positive about the show. Although, when have we ever counted on Riedel for consistency? "

He might have mocked Waitress, but he has openly discussed how much he wants to take Hamilton down a peg. As they say, the enemy of my enemy...

Very true...he also might be the number one proponent of SCHOOL OF ROCK (if only because it's not HAMILTON).

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

TerrenceIsTheMann
#23Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/11/16 at 10:12am

TBH, I always found that Riedel is exactly the kind of hate-spewer that these boards are now trying to condemn. But wait. He's one of the elite, he's big time, so he's free to say what he wants apparently. I'd love to see Murin take him down.

Updated On: 3/11/16 at 10:12 AM

Hackasaurus_Rex Profile Photo
Hackasaurus_Rex
#24Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/11/16 at 10:41am

One difference between what Riedel writes and what the people on the boards write, Terrence, is that he puts his real name and face on everything he writes.  One thing I agree with Patti on is that it would be pretty awesome if these boards (and ALL chat boards in the interweb for that matter) required people to use their real names.  I do believe it would force people to take a breath and possibly be a little more thoughtful before expressing some of the things they share... or at the very least it would require some courage of conviction.  Since a lot of people on here are positive I would think most would not care.  Whizzer, for example, you clearly have a talent for critique.  I would love to read your byline.

None of this will never happen but a girl can dream. 

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#25Riedel on the spring musicals
Posted: 3/11/16 at 5:49pm

Love your avatar!

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Videos