pixeltracker

What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?- Page 2

What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#25What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/16/16 at 5:14pm

MichelleCraig said: "IF I LOVED YOU is pretty close to perfect and I can be really moved by it at times. However, SUNDAY gets me every time...especially the finale of the Sondheim Birthday Concert on Blu-ray. As it's presented there, what seems like hundreds of Broadway singers enter Avery Fisher Hall from the rear and side entrances to join a most notable cast of Broadway talent already on stage...in front of the New York Philharmonic to deliver one of the most beautiful versions of the song I've ever heard. There's a great shot of Sondheim in the audience when he realizes what is happening...he practically loses it as his emotions get the best of him. I tear up just typing this..."

I own this blu-ray and lose my s*** every single time this comes on. The end of the concert (from the 'women in red' segment until the credits) is utter perfection. Their rendition of 'Sunday' is absolutely stunning!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#26What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/16/16 at 5:21pm

"Sunday" for sure. In a contemporary sense, "Satisfied" is brilliant beyond compare.

Dave19
#27What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/16/16 at 5:26pm

Mike Costa said: "Those are nice versions, Dave19.

Here is a reconstruction of the original by some of the greatest voices on Broadway.

The chorale arrangement at the end is pretty much astonishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf80ntbCLCc

"

Beautiful!! Thanks

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#28What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/16/16 at 5:28pm

I've been thinking of this question since I read during my prep hour this afternoon. My automatic, no-thought-at-all answer is Sunday. I like most Sondheim, but this song stops me dead in my tracks every time I hear. It doesn't matter who is performing it. If I slept on it and really thought about it, I might have a different answer, but right now, nothing tops it.

Mike Costa Profile Photo
Mike Costa
#29What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/16/16 at 6:29pm

Jshan05 said: "Mike Costa said: "All The Things You Are from Very Warm For May.  Kern and Hammerstein.  1939.  There probably has not been a better song written.  The show inspired Sondheim to go into musical theater.  Kander wrote a paper about the song in college.  (Interesting that they would go on to work together on Gypsy) The soaring melody falling harmony, perfect lyric, rhyme and sentiment. Even the way the sentiment lands on the voice and is amazing."

I do LOVE this song! If you haven't heard it, check out Audra McDonald and Norm Lewis' duet version. While I will always be partial to the solo, their vocals are phenomenal and it somehow works as a duet!

Thanks for the Audra version JShan cause, well ... Audra!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#30What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/16/16 at 6:31pm

This is an impossible question to answer. The WICKED Cast recording has 19 tracks, how am I supposed to choose between them??

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#31What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/16/16 at 6:39pm

Jordan Catalano said: "This is an impossible question to answer. The WICKED Cast recording has 19 tracks, how am I supposed to choose between them??"

It's easy, just go with the unequivocal best: "A Sentimental Man."

broadwaysfguy
#32What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/16/16 at 7:18pm

Fantastic selections so far....

a nearly impossible task, but if i had do nominate just one song represent the greatest single expression of musical theatre at its very very best, I have to nominate

Being Alive, Company, Original Cast 

It's beautiful, sad, joyful, ironic, truthful, and perfectly delivers through song Bobby's realization at the end of this magical musical journey on relationships...the music and lyrics balance each other so effortlessly

One of Stephen Sondheim's many crowning achievements

rangersrule132
#33What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/16/16 at 9:31pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Jordan Catalano said: "This is an impossible question to answer. The WICKED Cast recording has 19 tracks, how am I supposed to choose between them??"

It's easy, just go with the unequivocal best: "A Sentimental Man."

* " Something Bad"

But for real it would really have to be " No One Mourns The Wicked"

lunch
#34What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/16/16 at 9:40pm

Climb Every Mountain from the Sound of Music.

#35What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 12:33am

"As We Stumble Along" from "The Drowsy Chaperone," sung by Beth Leavel.  There are love songs aplenty on Broadway, but not many songs in praise of the love of alcohol.  The wordplay is clever, and when she holds out the final word "a---------long" for a ridiculous length of time, the crowd goes batchit crazy.  Her hand gestures, too, always different every night, are a brilliant tip of the hat to Bollywood, and at the beginning of the song when she sings, "Antarctica?  Oh, please . . . " well, when has Antarctica ever gotten a shout-out in the middle of a Broadway show? Like, never.  I also think it's the only Broadway song that has ever rhymed "stumble," "fumble," "bumble" . . . with "pa-lumble" -- and as far as I know, "pa-lumble" is not even a real word!  I heard it was her pronunciation of that word "pa-lumble" that nailed the Tony for Beth.  Who can top this?  No one, IMHO. 

BroadwayMan5
#36What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 12:51am

On the Street Where You Live from My Fair Lady

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#37What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 3:26am

"Ol' Man River"        Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein II

Ah gits weary an' sick of tryin'
Ah'm tired of livin' an' skeered of dyin'

Many feel this way at some point in their lives. Usually as age begins to steal from them.

When sung by a barrel-chested African American bass doing hard labor ("while de white boys play"What's the Best Broadway Song Ever? on the Mississippi in the heartland, it's a perfect marriage of singer, melody, lyrics and setting.

Almost 90 years old and still rollin' along.

Here is William Warfield singing the song. He sung it in the 1951 MGM film and in the 1966 Lincoln Center revival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAmFmervXew

Updated On: 3/20/16 at 03:26 AM

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#38What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 3:31am

I did a free association response to the question.  Without rationalizing or pondering, my answer was:

BEING ALIVE

Not my favourite, but in my opinion the most theatrical.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#38What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 3:31am

^ Ol' Man River might get my vote as well.

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#39What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 3:37am

In the context of its show, I'd have to go with Soliloquy from Carousel. 

Certainly the most powerful emotional impact that i have ever experienced in a theatre came while seeing/hearing that song performed, in various productions.  The song represents a pretty full journey that the character goes on internally, and serves as a sort of mini-play in itself.  It also serves to humanize a character who had become quite abhorrent by that point in the show and shows him realizing that he wants to try to do something positive for the people in his life - quite a powerful transformation followed immediately by a scene that makes you realize that things are not going to go well for him at all in act 2, thus setting up the end of the act as truly gut-wrenching.

If I Loved You is probably the most beautiful in terms of melody, with lovely and haunting lyrics.

And out of the context of its show, my favourite stand-alone song is The Impossible Dream.  Inspiring!

And i also do love On the Street Where You Live for another beautiful melody/lyrics.

Updated On: 3/17/16 at 03:37 AM

benappleton
#40What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 10:02am

I don't think I could pick just one... Here are some favorites: Shall We Dance, A Quiet Thing, Finishing the Hat, Stay With Me, If I Can't Love Her, and pretty much anything from Parade...

kooky
#41What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 10:14am

"I HAVE DREAMED:     THE KING & I 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#42What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 10:17am

This is a question with no answer. After all, Wildhorn has written so many of them?

Poster Emeritus

a-mad
#43What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 11:28am

Damn... I was hoping to be first on this one, but was beat to the punch by a couple of other brilliant posters.

For me, it is easily...

BEING ALIVE

For all the reasons so eloquently stated above

Others I considered:

Something's Coming - West Side Story
Shall We Dance - The King and I
Wheels of a Dream - Ragtime

Updated On: 3/17/16 at 11:28 AM

hork Profile Photo
hork
#44What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 11:29am

Tough question, but I think I'd have to go with "Endgame" from Chess. There's never been a more epically powerful climax.

Randomlink1
#45What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 11:31am

It's really hard to pick which one specific one from Into the Woods, but I'd either say "Last Midnight" or "No One is Alone".

First, the case for "Last Midnight". The song isn't really that luscious or beautiful to listen to, but in my opinion, this isn't important in theatre songs: a song from a musical is meant to further character. And, in the case of the witch, this is a really good song in furthering character. It shows her undying love for Rapunzel, as she demonstrates she'd rather be back the way she used to be rather than not see her daughter's death avenged, and it just shows the amount of control the witch really has. She terrifies the characters without any of her characters, and even though she's supposed to be the villain, she points out all of the other's selfish desires and how they're just as bad as her. She doesn't say that she's good either, but she states she's "right", demonstrating the accuracy of everything she says.

While "Children Will Listen" is much more direct in sharing the message of the show, and it does make me cry, I have to go with "No One is Alone". First of all, it is the climax of the show, and it is packed with emotion as a result of the characterzation throughout, so its timing in the show is impeccable. Secondly, the song gets its message across, the show's message, in a way that comes naturally, as it's the characters telling these two children, in a time of need, that they really can't say what is wrong or right anymore, based on everything they've seen. And, it also helps in The Baker's characterization of a father. While at first he's just as confused as Jack, screaming, "I don't know," when asked if it was right if the Steward killed Jack's Mother, he grows to show the maturity of a father by the end of the song, telling Jack all he can say, but just as Cinderella started off the song, comforting Jack, saying that while he is not alone, he also need to be careful about this, as he can't go after his own selfish desires. And, the ending in the OBC, where they are cut off by The Giantess right before they are able to finish the song only makes it even more realistic, and gives the song much more emotional depth.

I know I probably butchered the characterizations, but these two songs define what a broadway song should be. It should only serve to further the characterization of the characters, and these two songs do this excellently.

Randomlink1
#45What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 11:31am

It's really hard to pick which one specific one from Into the Woods, but I'd either say "Last Midnight" or "No One is Alone".

First, the case for "Last Midnight". The song isn't really that luscious or beautiful to listen to, but in my opinion, this isn't important in theatre songs: a song from a musical is meant to further character. And, in the case of the witch, this is a really good song in furthering character. It shows her undying love for Rapunzel, as she demonstrates she'd rather be back the way she used to be rather than not see her daughter's death avenged, and it just shows the amount of control the witch really has. She terrifies the characters without any of her characters, and even though she's supposed to be the villain, she points out all of the other's selfish desires and how they're just as bad as her. She doesn't say that she's good either, but she states she's "right", demonstrating the accuracy of everything she says.

While "Children Will Listen" is much more direct in sharing the message of the show, and it does make me cry, I have to go with "No One is Alone". First of all, it is the climax of the show, and it is packed with emotion as a result of the characterzation throughout, so its timing in the show is impeccable. Secondly, the song gets its message across, the show's message, in a way that comes naturally, as it's the characters telling these two children, in a time of need, that they really can't say what is wrong or right anymore, based on everything they've seen. And, it also helps in The Baker's characterization of a father. While at first he's just as confused as Jack, screaming, "I don't know," when asked if it was right if the Steward killed Jack's Mother, he grows to show the maturity of a father by the end of the song, telling Jack all he can say, but just as Cinderella started off the song, comforting Jack, saying that while he is not alone, he also need to be careful about this, as he can't go after his own selfish desires. And, the ending in the OBC, where they are cut off by The Giantess right before they are able to finish the song only makes it even more realistic, and gives the song much more emotional depth.

I know I probably butchered the characterizations, but these two songs define what a broadway song should be. It should only serve to further the characterization of the characters, and these two songs do this excellently.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#46What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 12:30pm

In my opinion, Ol' Man River is one of the great American anthems, and one of the most important pieces of art created in the country's history.

zjb8
#47What's the Best Broadway Song Ever?
Posted: 3/17/16 at 12:46pm

broadwaysfguy said: "Fantastic selections so far....

a nearly impossible task, but if i had do nominate just one song represent the greatest single expression of musical theatre at its very very best, I have to nominate

Being Alive, Company, Original Cast 

It's beautiful, sad, joyful, ironic, truthful, and perfectly delivers through song Bobby's realization at the end of this magical musical journey on relationships...the music and lyrics balance each other so effortlessly

One of Stephen Sondheim's many crowning achievements

I could not agree more!