pixeltracker

Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?- Page 2

Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?

neonlightsxo
#25Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 12:03pm

ray-andallthatjazz86 said: "bwayboy22 said: "My impossible dream fantasy would be for Streisand to bring Gypsy to the stage and then have a Midler v Streisand Tony race, although in a million years that'd never happen, but could you imagine?"

I like to imagine a world in which successful women are not constantly pitched against each other like gladiators but that will never happen in a million years either.
"

THANK YOU RAY!

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#26Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 12:32pm

I haven't seen the video yet, but bummed to have read a lot of posters I trust complain about Staunton. That surprises me; she was by far the best Mrs. Lovett I've seen. 

Updated On: 4/26/16 at 12:32 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#28Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 1:31pm

I say we just let this one go. The video is out there forever. Imelda was overcooked and one-note angry from beginning to end. I can't believe I'm actually saying that LuPone was far better and had much more nuance than Staunton. After all that raving, I was genuinely surprised to see her deliver such a one-note performance. That isn't to say there weren't interesting moments during her performance, but it wasn't the second coming everyone said it was.

Give it a few years and bring a new production to Broadway with a different leading lady and see what happens. Hell, I'm still interested to see what Streisand (age be damned) will bring to the role. 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#29Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 3:00pm

Scarywarhol said: "I haven't seen the video yet, but bummed to have read a lot of posters I trust complain about Staunton. That surprises me; she was by far the best Mrs. Lovett I've seen. "

Her Lovett was inspired. Her Rose...not so much.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

nasty_khakis
#30Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 3:04pm

Scarywarhol said: "I haven't seen the video yet, but bummed to have read a lot of posters I trust complain about Staunton. That surprises me; she was by far the best Mrs. Lovett I've seen."

I loved her Lovett so much that I went back the next day. She was transfixing. I saw her Gypsy in person last year and found it so angry, one note, and tiresome. I was shocked it got the ovation it did at the end. When it finally aired online I was relieved I wasn't the only one. 

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#31Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 3:05pm

I wish we could get her production of Sweeney instead.

Updated On: 4/26/16 at 03:05 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#32Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 3:13pm

I haven't seen any videos of her as Mrs. Lovett but she is magnificent in the recording. Probably my favorite recorded Lovett since Lansbury. The thing is she gets Mrs. Lovett and she gets what Sondheim was trying to do with that show and the style in which the role should be performed.

IMO, she simply does not get Rose or the style of the show at all. Staunton is a brilliant performer through and through; this, however, is a complete miss. And that's fine, not every great actor is right for every role. Let's just hope when we get another GYPSY revival on Broadway it soars to the levels of Laurents' production. The performances by LuPone, Gaines, Larkin, Yazbeck, Fraser (the whole ensemble really), and most of all, Laura Benanti, will be tough to match. That dressing room scene at the end played like an Albee play in the hands of LuPone, Benanti, and Laurents, simply stunning and unforgettable.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Laurapattifan Profile Photo
Laurapattifan
#33Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 3:20pm

I watched the video and found Lara Pulver lacking what Laura Benanti had, the change from Louise to Gypsy being so perfect 

Scarywarhol
#34Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 3:22pm

what a damn shame that we never got the planned film of the last revival, after the production closed early in the recession bloodbath.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#35Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 4:18pm

Seriously, why can't we get a Sweeney revival with her as Lovett? I would fight tooth and nail for that. Gypsy, not so much.

Scarywarhol
#36Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 4:20pm

We're more due for a mostly-traditional Sweeney, and awareness of the property has increased since the '05 revival. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#37Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 6:28pm

Sorry but Staunton is NOT first in line to play Lovett in New York. I don't know if I could handle it mentally if that happened. Bernadette has been waiting in the wings to play the role for a long time. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#38Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 7:16pm

qolbinau said: "Sorry but Staunton is NOT first in line to play Lovett in New York. I don't know if I could handle it mentally if that happened. Bernadette has been waiting in the wings to play the role for a long time. 

Oops--pressed the wrong button.

'I don't know if I could handle it mentally if that happened.'  I love my theatre but to what extreme do you mean--run naked thru Times Square, pull out your hair, od on Pepsi, lock yourself in your closet with BP on replay?

Are you being just a teensy bit drama queen if you don't get what you want?

Updated On: 4/26/16 at 07:16 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#39Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 7:30pm

qolbinau said: "Sorry but Staunton is NOT first in line to play Lovett in New York. I don't know if I could handle it mentally if that happened. Bernadette has been waiting in the wings to play the role for a long time."

Has she talked about SWEENEY TODD publicly? It would make sense, it's one of the few Sondheim leading ladies she hasn't played. But I wonder to what extent she is actually interested in playing the role. I also get the sense from interviews that Broadway is not too much on her mind. Don't get me wrong, I'd be first in line if she ever played the part, I just don't see her dropping everything to play it.

Staunton's Lovett on the cast recording was exquisitely drawn. She's the only person I've heard sing the role who can make it her own while staying true to the character and the musical. It'd be a treat to see her in the part. Keep her far far away from GYPSY though.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

binau Profile Photo
binau
#40Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 8:28pm

"Are you being just a teensy bit drama queen if you don't get what you want?"

Haha I'm obviously being intentionally dramatic for comedic purposes. I'd still be interested to see Staunton in the role, though I would be disappointed knowing that it would therefore never happen with Bernadette though (at least on Broadway).

"Has she talked about SWEENEY TODD publicly? It would make sense, it's one of the few Sondheim leading ladies she hasn't played. But I wonder to what extent she is actually interested in playing the role."

She has been asked a few times in interviews about whether she would play the role. She has said she is interested in playing the role and that she learnt "Worst Pies in London". She also was screen tested for the Sweeney film. But she never seems to talk about it unless asked, and indeed (before Follies) when asked in the past about it she answered by saying a role she really wanted to play was Sally- she has never been quite so proactive about Mrs Lovett. I guess what I'm saying is, she definitely seems interested in the role and I can't imagine her turning down an offer if one were to be made. But I doubt she is desperate to play the role like say Streisand is to play Rose. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 4/26/16 at 08:28 PM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#41Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 9:10pm

Let the Bernadette as Lovett thing go. She wouldn't be able to sing the score 8 shows a week.

Updated On: 4/26/16 at 09:10 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#42Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 9:15pm

Was the Sweeney set in the literal pie shop? Cause I would love to see that happen. Not even sure where they could do it, and with the Tonys having such a rule about a show having to be in a Broadway house, it wouldn't be able to be elligible for any major awards.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#43Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 9:15pm

Was the Sweeney set in the literal pie shop? Cause I would love to see that happen. Not even sure where they could do it, and with the Tonys having such a rule about a show having to be in a Broadway house, it wouldn't be able to be elligible for any major awards.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#44Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 10:11pm

No, the production with Imelda played the Adelphi Theatre in the West End. The Harrington's Pie and Mash Shop production was by a different team.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

binau Profile Photo
binau
#45Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 11:31pm

TotallyEffed said: "Let the Bernadette as Lovett thing go. She wouldn't be able to sing the score 8 shows a week.

"

So this particular issue has been discussed a lot in this thread:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=995481

But not to derail even this thread further (sorry all), I don't think it's as simple to dismiss her like that. Maybe there is a concern of the stamina any person has when they are close to age 70. But Bernadette in particular is a stronger singer than for example Imelda Staunton (who barely sang a note in "Worst Pies" and spoke a lot of that score), which people seemed fine with. And she does have a strong attendance record as of late, never missing a performance in Follies (In NY & DC) or A Little Night Music (acknowledging both roles require less stamina, though Follies requires more vocal prowess I think).

Hamish3
#46Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/27/16 at 1:18am

I hope not

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#47Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?
Posted: 4/27/16 at 7:12pm

I've been watching GYPSY since the original production with Merman (who was amazing), through every New York revival, and I was still blown away by Staunton. One-note? Hardly. If you only saw the youtube finale, then you haven't seen one-tenth of what she did. I still think it's the best musical ever written, and that Staunton can stand tall against all the other Roses.