pixeltracker

The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread- Page 2

The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#25The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 6:23pm

Should I throw out hope for a nomination for Miss Ashford in "Sylvia"?

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

#26The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 6:30pm

I'm also hoping for a nomination for Annaleigh Ashford. 

Robert Sella should be nominated for Featured Actor in a play. 

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#27The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 6:32pm

100% agreed, Chicago. Both were amazing turns.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

ChiTheaterFan
#28The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 6:45pm

CindersGolightly said: "Should I throw out hope for a nomination for Miss Ashford in "Sylvia"?

"

No. I think a win is unlikely but she's the only lead with a real stand out comedic performance this season (especially with the entire noises off cast in featured). With all the dramas this season, I can see them wanting to reward a great comedic performance with a nomination. 

Randomlink1
#29The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 6:56pm

I'm kind of hoping that Tuck Everlasting gets a couple of nominations. I think a show might beat out Hamilton this year, since it's been hyped and praised so much to the point where a lot of people are sick of it, and don't want to vote for it because of this. But then again, I don't know how the Tony Voters feel (or if they've been able to score tickets to Hamilton, since they're a wide range of people).

woeisme3
#30The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 6:59pm

I think Hamilton probably won't do too well in the acting categories, and I think it'll lose out on a few of the design ones (Psycho seems to be a lock for Lighting, Shuffle for Choreography, She Loves Me for Scenic Design etc.) but all the production categories (Direction, Musical, Book, Score) it has basically in the bag.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#31The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 7:09pm

my thoughts and wants!

Best Musical:
American Psycho
Hamilton
School of Rock
Waitress

Best Play:
Eclipsed
The Father
The Humans
King Charles III

Best Revival of a Musical:
The Color Purple
Fiddler on the Roof
She Loves Me
Spring Awakening

Best Revival of a Play:
The Crucible
Long Day’s Journey Into Night
Noises Off
A View From the Bridge

Best Performance By a Leading Actor in a Musical:
Alex Brightman-School of Rock
Danny Burstein-Fiddler on the Roof
Zachary Levi-She Loves me
Leslie Odom, Jr.-Hamilton
Benjamin Walker-American Psycho

Best Performance By a Leading Actress in a Musical:
Laura Benanti-She Loves Me
Cynthia Erivo-The Color Purple
Audra McDonald-Shuffle Along...
Jessie Mueller-Waitress
Phillipa Soo-Hamilton

Best Performance By a Leading Actor in a Play:
Gabriel Byrne-Long Day’s Journey Into Night
Jeff Daniels-Blackbird
Frank Langella-The Father
Tim Pigott-Smith-King Charles III
Ben Whishaw-The Crucible

Best Performance By a Leading Actress in a Play:
Jessica Lange-Long Day’s Journey Into Night
Lupita Nyong’o-Eclipsed
Sophie Okonedo-The Crucible
Nicola Walker-A View From the Bridge
Michelle Williams-Blackbird

Best Performance By a Featured Actor in a Musical:
Daveed Diggs-Hamilton
Daniel Durant-Spring Awakening
Jonathan Groff-Hamilton
Christopher Jackson-Hamilton
Billy Porter-Shuffle Along...

Best Performance By a Featured Actress in a Musical:
Danielle Brooks-The Color Purple
Renee Elise Goldsberry-Hamilton
Jane Krakowski-She Loves Me
Krysta Rodriguez-Spring Awakening
Helene Yorke-American Psycho

Best Performance By a Featured Actor in a Play:
Reed Birney-The Humans
John Gallagher, Jr.-Long Day’s Journey Into Night
Ciaran Hinds-The Crucible
Michael Shannon-Long Day’s Journey Into Night
Russell Tovey-A View From the Bridge

Best Performance By a Featured Actress in a Play:
Lauren Klein-The Humans
Megan Hilty-Noises Off
Jayne Houdyshell-The Humans
Lauren Klein-The Humans
Saoirse Ronan-The Crucible
Saycon Sengbloh-Eclipsed

Best Direction of a Musical:
John Doyle-The Color Purple
Scott Ellis-She Loves Me
Rubert Goold-American Psycho
Thomas Kail-Hamilton
Bartlett Sher-Fiddler on the Roof

Best Direction of a Play:
Rupert Goold-King Charles III
Joe Mantello-The Humans
Liesl Tommy-Eclipsed
Ivo van Hove-A View From the Bridge

Best Original Score:
Bright Star
-Music By Steve Martin & Edie Brickell, Lyrics By Edie Brickell
Hamilton-Music & Lyrics By Lin-Manuel Miranda
American Psycho-Music & Lyrics By Duncan Sheik
Waitress-Music & Lyrics By Sara Bareilles

Best Book of a Musical:
Hamilton-Lin-Manuel Miranda
School of Rock-Julian Fellowes
American Psycho-Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa
Waitress-Jessie Nelson

Best Choreography:
Andy Blankenbuehler-Hamilton
Warren Carlyle-She Loves Me
Savion Glover-Shuffle Along...
Hofesh Shechter-Fiddler on the Roof
Lynn Page-American Psycho

Updated On: 4/28/16 at 07:09 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#32The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 7:16pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "now is the time to distill peoples' thoughts/predictions to one coherent thread"

I respect your efforts, but if this is meant to be the main thread to discuss Tony nominations, there's no way in hell it's going to be "distilled" or "coherent," especially since you started it so early. By the time nominations come out, I predict this thread will already be at least 5-6 pages long. Then it will only become even more of a jumbled mess once the nominations hit. The discussion happening in this thread is already the same sort of discussion that was going on in the other one, so why start another one so early? 

Updated On: 4/28/16 at 07:16 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#33The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 8:34pm

JBroadway, for sure—my intentions were maybe not that clear. Yes, of course a thread like this will garner plenty of posts between now and Tuesday, but all of the random mid-to-late 2015 speculation will be gone. At least the prediction posts that would pop up on here between now and May 3 would be rather reasonably educated. Totally understand what you're saying though!

neonlightsxo
#34The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 8:38pm

I mean there's always going to be people with their prediction posts who haven't seen a single show. So. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#35The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 8:43pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "JBroadway, for sure—my intentions were maybe not that clear. Yes, of course a thread like this will garner plenty of posts between now and Tuesday, but all of the random mid-to-late 2015 speculation will be gone. At least the prediction posts that would pop up on here between now and May 3 would be rather reasonably educated. Totally understand what you're saying though!"

Fair enough. Hadn't thought of that aspect of it. 

pupscotch
#36The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 8:53pm

I thought if either of the featured men from She Loves Me would get a nomination, it would be Gavin Creel, but the other awards seem to favor Nicholas Barasch? I loved them both, and was just wondering what others were thinking.

neonlightsxo
#37The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 8:55pm

I'm sticking with Gavin as my choice. He's been nominated twice before. 

BroadwayNYC25 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC25
#38The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 9:18pm

No hate but I don't think the Color Purple actors/actresses are getting enough love.

Switch GroffSauce out with Isaiah Johnson

Switch Jennifer Hudson or wtf cares out with Joaquina Kalukango; either way Danielle Brooks will win

Sorry tie wanters but that tony is Cynthia's

neonlightsxo
#39The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 9:22pm

No hate to Danielle Brooks, I adore her, but Renee is winning that Tony. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#40The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 9:26pm

neonlightsxo said: "No hate to Danielle Brooks, I adore her, but Renee is winning that Tony."

Yup, yup, yup.

Also, BroadwayNYC25, I don't think anybody is hoping for a Tony win tie—most people believe it's Erivo's to bring home. People seem to be hoping for a nomination tie so there are six rather than five nominees this year, allowing Carmen Cusack to get a nod. 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#41The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 9:27pm

And if it weren't Renee, Jane Krakowski is a much more likely winner than Danielle Brooks. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#42The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 9:42pm

There had previously been some speculation that Audra could be placed in the Featured Actress category rather than Lead. Does anyone think that could still be the case? I'm not seeing Shuffle Along until next week. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#43The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/28/16 at 9:48pm

NJ_BroadwayGirl said: "There had previously been some speculation that Audra could be placed in the Featured Actress category rather than Lead. Does anyone think that could still be the case? I'm not seeing Shuffle Along until next week. "

I still think it's a possibility. Really tough to say based on the role itself. It could go either way. Still, if I had to guess, I would lean toward leading over featured

Mr Kelly Profile Photo
Mr Kelly
#44The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/29/16 at 7:13am

Megan Hilty is performing in a series of concerts in Australia, in the week prior to the Tony Awards (including one on June 12th) could be interesting if she gets a nomination.. 

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#45The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/29/16 at 9:37am

"There had previously been some speculation that Audra could be placed in the Featured Actress category rather than Lead. Does anyone think that could still be the case?"

This is what I'd like to see as a ruling today. Compared to Erivo, Cusack, Benanti and Mueller, Audra is doing much less of the "heavy lifting" in her respective show, and I think featured would be far more suitable. However, after reading that Times review, it's almost as if Brantley were making a case to the committee as to why she should be put in lead. Alas, we shall see today!

PJPan
#46The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/29/16 at 10:05am

Mr Kelly said: "Megan Hilty is performing in a series of concerts in Australia, in the week prior to the Tony Awards (including one on June 12th) could be interesting if she gets a nomination.. "

To me, she's one of the most deserving of a nomination. I could not stop laughing - her performance was spot on.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#47The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/29/16 at 10:16am

Audra is absolutely the leading actress in Shuffle Along. She has star billing and is given considerable stagetime and focus. The show isn't about her character in the way Color Purple, She Loves Me, Waitress, or Bright Star are about their leads, but she is nevertheless the leading actress in the show.

The featured actresses in Shuffle Along are Adrienne Warren and Amber Iman.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#48The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/29/16 at 10:22am

Kad said: "Audra is absolutely the leading actress in Shuffle Along. She has star billing and is given considerable stagetime and focus. The show isn't about her character in the way Color Purple, She Loves Me, Waitress, or Bright Star are about their leads, but she is nevertheless the leading actress in the show."

Again, I also think she will probably be in Leading, but I don't think it's a done-deal. People with just as much stage time and star billing have been placed in featured.

Does anyone know roughly what time today we can expect the final round of rulings to be announced?

Updated On: 4/29/16 at 10:22 AM

ChiTheaterFan
#49The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/29/16 at 2:01pm

Here are my updated predictions/wishes.  Still haven't seen Shuffle Along, but I won't before the nominations.  The acting categories are so chocked full with talent (especially in the musical categories) I wish they could nominate more people.

Best New Musical (I'm predicting/hoping a tie gets us 5 nominees, but if not I think American Psycho might be out)
American Psycho
Hamilton
School of Rock
Waitress
Shuffle Along
Would like to see: Bright Star; Having not seen Shuffle Along yet, if I had my choice, I would bump School of Rock first, and Waitress Second for American Psycho/Bright Star, although I enjoyed them all and expect to really enjoy Shuffle Along.

Best Revival of a Musical
The Color Purple
Fiddler on the Roof
She Loves Me
Would Like to See: Spring Awakening

Best Play
Eclipsed (I'd like to see this win)
The Father
The Humans
King Charles III

Best Revival of a Play
Blackbird
The Crucible
Noises Off
A View from the Bridge  (I'd prefer to see any of the others I've listed win)

Best Score:
Bright Star
Hamilton
School of Rock
Waitress
Would like to see: American Psycho

Best Book (honestly seems to me to be a pretty weak category aside from Hamilton so I wouldn't be surprised at whatever is nominated)
American Psycho
Hamilton
Shuffle Along (haven't seen it, and I hear the book is weak, but I don't know which of the other shows I'd choose that I've seen)
Waitress

Best Choreography (I don't know all the names for choreographers/directors, so I'm just using show names)
American Psycho
Hamilton
On Your Feet
Shuffle Along
Spring Awakening  (I haven't seen Shuffle Along yet, but I'd like this to win as of now)
Could possibly see: Tuck Everlasting--It wouldn't be my choice, but if they want to recognize it, this is one category where they might do so.   

Best Direction of a Musical
The Color Purple
Fiddler on the Roof
Hamilton
Shuffle Along
Spring Awakening
Would like to see:  American Psycho, She Loves Me

Best Direction of a Play:
Eclipsed
The Humans
King Charles III
Noises Off (I'd like this to win, since I think it's crazy how much you have to coordinate for this show to work)
A View from the Bridge
Would Like to See: Ivan Van Hove nominated for the Crucible rather than a View from the Bridge, which I didn't particularly like, but I know that's not the common view.  I could also see him getting nominated twice, and Noises Off being left off.

Best Leading Actress in a Musical (Really hoping for a tie--if not, I predict Cusack gets in and upsets Soo for a nomination--who is fantastic as well, but this could be one category where they spread the wealth, and I don't think Cusack's performance will go unnoticed.)
Laura Benenti (She Loves Me)
Carmen Cusack (Bright Star)
Cynthia Erivo (the Color Purple)
Audra McDonald (Shuffle Along)
Jessie Mueller (Waitress)
Philippa Soo (Hamilton)

Best Leading Actor in a Musical:
Alex Brightman (School of Rock)
Danny Burstein (Fiddler)
Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton)
Leslie Odom Jr. (Hamilton)
Benjamin Walker (American Psycho)
Would like to see: Zachary Levi (She Loves Me)

Best Featured Actress in a Musical
Danielle Brooks (The Color Purple)
Renee Elise Goldsberry (Hamilton)
Jennifer Hudson (The Color Purple)
Jane Krakowski (She Loves Me)
Lesli Margherita (Dames at Sea)
Would like to see:  Jasmine Cephas Jones (Hamilton--that will never happen but I think she's a future star), Helene York (American Psycho), Keala Settle or Kimiko Glenn (Waitress)

Featured Actor in a Musical:
Daveed Diggs (Hamilton)
Christopher Fitzgerald (Waitress)
Christopher Jackson (Hamilton)
One of the Shuffle Along men
Paul Alexander Nolan (Maybe wishful thinking, and I can see him getting bumped for Groff or another of the Shuffle Along men)
Would like to see: Jonathan Groff (Hamilton)--I actually think Jackson has a better chance, Oak (Hamilton), Kyle Scatliffe (The Color Purple), Adam Kantor (Fiddler), Terrance Mann (Tuck Everlasting)

Best Leading Actress in a Play:
Annaleigh Ashford (Sylvia)
Jessica Lange (Long Day's Journey Into Night)
Lupita Nyong'o (Eclipsed)
Sophie Okonedo (The Crucible)
Michelle Williams (Blackbird)

Best Leading Actor in a Play:
Gabriel Byrne (Long Day's Journey Into Night)
Jeff Daniels (Blackbird)
Frank Langella (the Father) (I would like to see him win)
Tim Pigott-Smith (King Charles III)
Mark Strong (View from the Bridge)
Would like to see: Ben Winshaw (the Crucible)

Best Featured Actress in a Play
Pascale Armand (Eclipsed)
Megan Hilty (Noises Off)
Jane Houdyshell (the Humans)
Saycon Sengbloh (Eclipsed)
Saoirse Ronan (the Crucible)
Would like to see:  Zainab Jah (Eclipsed) nominated and win--she was my favorite in the play

Best Featured Actor in a Play
Reed Birney (the Humans) (this is a total guess since I think this category is pretty up for grabs)
Richard Goulding (King Charles III)
Michael Shannon (Long Day's Journey)
David Furr (Noises Off)
Bill Camp (the Crucible)
Would like to see: Rob McClure (Noises Off)