Tony nom rants

aaaaaa15
#100Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:57am

TweetyPie2 said: "It's not that good. It's just not. I don't think it will stand the test of time."

Nah it is that good. But continue to be bitter about a show getting its well deserved success if you wish.

JVJ93
#101Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:02pm

Groff and Jackson getting nominated was all a pre-planned thing, I believe. Late last night Entertainment Weekly posted an article predicting the Tony noms that were to be announced in a mere 5 hours. They eerily predicted/hinted that to break the record, Hamilton would need to throw in two more noms for Best featured actor, and even mentioned Groff and Jackson. All politics. Sad. 

Neon20 Profile Photo
Neon20
#102Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:07pm

Bettyboy72 said: "Laurie Metcalf? Are you kidding me? Annaleigh deserved that spot.

IMO I think Laurie Metcalf's performance was amazing (the only thing i enjoyed about the production). However, I also feel that Annaleigh deserved a spot. Maybe over another actress who is touched by the "star treatment" Tony love. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#103Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:11pm

Did not see Misery but heard she was the only reason to see it.

Thought Ashford was a lock. Not the only disappointment / snub.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 5/3/16 at 12:11 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#104Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:11pm

JVJ93 said: "Groff and Jackson getting nominated was all a pre-planned thing, I believe. Late last night Entertainment Weekly posted an article predicting the Tony noms that were to be announced in a mere 5 hours. They eerily predicted/hinted that to break the record, Hamilton would need to throw in two more noms for Best featured actor, and even mentioned Groff and Jackson. All politics. Sad. "

They predicted that the biggest cultural phenomenon Broadway has seen in two decades would get as many nominations as possible? Including two of its most prominent and crowd-pleasing featured actors? Positively eerie.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 5/3/16 at 12:11 PM

neonlightsxo
#105Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:12pm

Annaleigh really should've been nominated. Too bad.

mistermanifesto Profile Photo
mistermanifesto
#106Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:14pm

I don't know if Annaleigh Ashford should win a second Tony for playing a dog....

PJPan
#107Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:15pm

JVJ93 said: "Groff and Jackson getting nominated was all a pre-planned thing, I believe. Late last night Entertainment Weekly posted an article predicting the Tony noms that were to be announced in a mere 5 hours. They eerily predicted/hinted that to break the record, Hamilton would need to throw in two more noms for Best featured actor, and even mentioned Groff and Jackson. All politics. Sad. 

"

Most pundits all season have been predicting a three-way nomination with Diggs, Groff, and Jackson. Nothing new or eerie about that.

neonlightsxo
#108Tony nom rants

Nobody said she should win. We said she should be nominated. But thanks for your help?

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#109Tony nom rants

"No Bruce Willis or Al Pacino. "

Yes, apparently there is a new requirement this year.   To be nominated for an acting award one is supposed to learn one's lines and actually act on stage.

MyLife
#110Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:17pm

mistermanifesto said: "I don't know if Annaleigh Ashford should win a second Tony for playing a dog...."

Thanks for that spit take :)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#111Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:17pm

I was waiting for the nominations for best teleprompter. Oh well, maybe next year.

Poster Emeritus

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#112Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:36pm

Hellob said: "Not really a rant but it must be awkward for 3/4 actors of LDJ to be nominated (even though the 4th wasn't expected). 

"

LDJ? Thanks.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#113Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:36pm

"It's still mathematically impossible for them to beat The producers for wins, isn't it?"

What am I missing here?  Isn't Hamilton nominated in 13 different categories?  Even with no acting ties, isn't it possible for them to win 13 Tony awards -- one more than The Producers?

wolfwriter2
#114Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:40pm

My only quibble is the book for Shuffle Along, which I think is the biggest problem with the show and prevents the uber-talented cast/creative team to really shine.

Otherwise, I keep thinking, should Cicely Tyson or Ben Walker or Jeff Daniels and others be nominated? Maybe, but I can't imagine who would be replaced. We are lucky to have such a wealth of talent at our doorstep.

...and no love for Josh Segarra's white shorts Tony nom rants

Johnsylva
#115Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:43pm

STUPID QUESTION -- Do the lead cast that are nominated for Tony Awards generally perform on the day of the Tonys in their matinee shows? Wondering whether to see WAITRESS on the 12th or the night before as I don't want to miss Jessie!

ukmusicalfanatic
#116Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:45pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/IAMJHUD/status/727502570223206400

Jennifer doesn't appear to be too surprised by the lack of nomination apparently.

(hope the link works I'm on my phone)

Updated On: 5/3/16 at 12:45 PM

aaaaaa15
#117Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:46pm

Johnsylva said: "STUPID QUESTION -- Do the lead cast that are nominated for Tony Awards generally perform on the day of the Tonys in their matinee shows? Wondering whether to see WAITRESS on the 12th or the night before as I don't want to miss Jessie!"

Yes they do.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#118Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:47pm

Jennifer Hudson's tweet says - "my presence was used for my celebrity , not my talent . I'm not surprised ."

I honestly can't even wrap my head around that.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#119Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:47pm

ukmusicalfanatic said: "https://mobile.twitter.com/IAMJHUD/status/727502570223206400

Jennifer doesn't appear to be too surprised by the lack of nomination apparently.

"

Well that's a bitter tweet for someone still in the show to send out.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

aaaaaa15
#120Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:48pm

ukmusicalfanatic said: "https://mobile.twitter.com/IAMJHUD/status/727502570223206400

"

Oh dear.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#121Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:49pm

"My heart hurts for On Your Feet! I've been listening to the cast recording everyday, all day, since it came out."

Didn't the cast recording come out 3 days ago?

I'm surprised how many people think Jonathan Groff didn't deserve the nomination because he's not on stage as much as other actors. The nomination is for best performance, not "most time on stage". He owns the stage for those 9 minutes. It's a memorable role and a memorable performance. He makes better use of his limited stage time than actors who are onstage for most of the show. His nomination was more of a given than Chris Jackson- who is wonderful, but more of a solemn performance than the Tonys usually acknowledge.

If Hamilton wins only one acting award in the 4 categories, it should be Daveed Diggs, but Jonathan Groff was of course going to be nominated for a stand-out role like King George.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 5/3/16 at 12:49 PM

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#122Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:50pm

wolfwriter2 said "Otherwise, I keep thinking, should Cicely Tyson or Ben Walker or Jeff Daniels and others be nominated?"

Jeff Daniels was nominated!

DottieD'Luscia said, "LDJ? Thanks"

Long Day's Journey Into Night

Updated On: 5/3/16 at 12:50 PM

neonlightsxo
#124Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:51pm

Jeff Daniels IS nominated.