pixeltracker

What will they perform at the Tonys?- Page 5

What will they perform at the Tonys?

aaaaaa15
#100What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/19/16 at 5:08pm

I just feel like The Schuyler Sisters is too short, I assume they'd want to do a 4-5 minute performance and that the Tonys would want them to too.

Petrichor
#101What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/19/16 at 5:36pm

JudyDenmark said: "I don't know.... how could they not do The Schuyler Sisters? With lyrics like "history is happening in Manhattan and we just happen to be in the greatest city in the world, " it's like it was written for the Hamilton mania and performing at the Tonys. At least put it in as part of the opening number or something!

"

Agreed. Perhaps I'm biased since it's one of my favorite songs from the show, but those lyrics would make just about any New Yorker proud. 

I'd love to see them perform any of the Schuyler sisters' songs, again they are some of my favorites. Namely Satisfied or Helpless. I think they'll go for more fast-paced, upbeat songs though so it's probably appropriate Burn is ruled out unless they are doing a mashup of songs. .

Other than that, Wait For It and One Last Time have my vote. Whatever they end up performing, I'm sure it will be awesome. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#102What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/19/16 at 5:55pm

Even though it has closed, would love to see Simard do her signature number from Disaster.

Poster Emeritus

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#103What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/19/16 at 10:55pm

AJ Shively of Bright Star said in an interview that Steve Martin will be making a cameo appearance in the cast's Tony performance which, honestly, is a great idea. The show has been foolish not to play up his involvement. These guest star bits he's been making during intermission have been a fabulous way for the show to generate buzz and showing him on stage at the Tonys (however misleading it may be as he is not actually a part of the cast) is a great marketing ploy.

ViniFromBrazil
#104What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/20/16 at 9:43pm

After having FINALLY watched all the shows except Spring Awakening (difficult coming ang going Brazil-NY) these are my wishes for Tony night:

SHUFFLE ALONG opens with "Broadway Blues"

SPRING AWAKENING performs something really nice =P

SCHOOL OF ROCK performs "You're in the Band"

BRIGHT STAR performs "If You Knew My Story"

WAITRESS performs "What's Inside/Opening Up"

SHE LOVES ME performs "Twelve Days to Christmas/Finale" - I've always thought this should be the default choice to show the cast as a whole, and after all this time I think people wouldn't be bothered to see the final act, they see Les Mis' all the time........... but I don't know, I don't think that's a popular opinion

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF performs "If I Were a Rich Man"

THE COLOR PURPLE performs "I'm Here"

HAMILTON performs "Alexander Hamilton" - I know, I know, everyone's tired of this song but I just can't get over it. I die every time Lin says "... Alexander Hamilton......." for the first time in the song.

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#105What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/20/16 at 10:50pm

I forget where I saw it but I read in an article that Hamilton had every intention to perform something not yet seen on a broadcast to date. So that leaves "Alexander Hamilton" out of it. They have already promoted the show with that number. It's out there, it's all over and people are eating it up. It's very doubtful they would do it again when they can pull in even more people with another look at the show with something different for those the Grammy number didn't appeal to (if there is anyone left). 

They could go the medley route but lord I hope not. "Yorktown" would be great with how it highlights a number of the actors as well as the amazing ensemble BUT you can already see "Yorktown" almost full in some of their highlight footage they have released. "Non-Stop" needs the turntable WAY to much for that to be an option. They could do it but there is so much that is visually interesting in the number that requires the turning. So that leaves it as likely going to be either "My Shot" or "Room Where it Happens." So really it depends on WHO they want to feature more. While both songs feature pretty much the same people in them, one highlights Lin while the other highlights Odom. Which leading actor nominee do they want to represent the show in the performance?

Tough call but I would PERSONALLY rather them do "Room Where It Happens." It's a killer number and Odom is a powerhouse in it. Not to mention that Lin is getting a lot of attention and recognition for writing the show already. It would be nice to see them give the spotlight to someone else other then Lin on the Tony performance.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#106What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/20/16 at 11:12pm

You know I wouldn't be surprised if the tony awards built a turntable specifically for Hamilton to use

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Scarlet Leigh
#107What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/20/16 at 11:19pm

Call_me_jorge said: "You know I wouldn't be surprised if the tony awards built a turntable specifically for Hamilton to use"

I could see it....

"Why are we spending the money for this turntable aga-"
"BECAUSE HAMILTON BITCH!"

casedilla2
#108What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/21/16 at 3:13am

Sydney Harcourt from Hamilton tweeted that they were rehearsing for the Tonys today and then posted this video on Instagram of them singing Wait For It.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFo5TzyS4UR/

It sounds like a shorter version since it goes right from "what is it like in his shoes?" to "life doesn't discriminate," skipping a verse in between the two. So, it seems like they'll be going the medley route, and that this song will be included.

aaaaaa15
#109What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/21/16 at 3:28am

Yeah I can't see them doing just Wait For It. 

Scarlet Leigh
#110What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/21/16 at 4:33am

On one hand, I LOVE that it looked like they will include "Wait For It" (My favorite song in Hamilton) on the other hand I think this certainly points to it being a medley and I was kinda hoping against that. But while the song is fantastic but the staging does not scream 'Tony Awards Performance.' It will not be their solo song featured. So now we get to play the fun new game... "What Songs will be in the Hamilton Medley?"

I'm thinking they open with "My Shot" and end with "Wait for It" but no idea what song they might put in the middle to bridge the two together.

aaaaaa15
#111What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/21/16 at 4:45am

I'm actually optimistic about a medley. There's too much good stuff to just show one and if anyone can pull it off it's the Hamilton team. I don't expect it to be a mess.

sueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
#112What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/21/16 at 6:16am

I'm betting it'll be a medley. Best way to showcase all the nominees.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#113What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/21/16 at 8:52am

From this Instagram post it seems Waitress will be including "She Used to Be Mine" in its Tony performance. https://www.instagram.com/p/BFpAfC0nSDI/

I can't find the link but I saw another photo that looked like it was from the same day of Jessie at a baking table. My guess is they will include "Opening Up" or the reprise of it. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#114What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/21/16 at 9:33am

Even though medleys are usually terrible, I'm willing to bet the Hamilton one will be better than most. Just a hunch.

Broadway Forever2
#115What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/21/16 at 1:52pm

Sydney Harcourt also commented on that video "Sorry to tease, but no one should assume they know what's being performed at the Tonys :)" Idk what that means though. 

jdra
#116What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/21/16 at 2:38pm

ChildofEarth said: "Even though medleys are usually terrible, I'm willing to bet the Hamilton one will be better than most. Just a hunch."

Agreed!

Scarlet Leigh
#117What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/21/16 at 4:29pm

My friend brought up a really good point that the end of "Non-Stop" finishes on a line from "My Shot" so there is a really good chance that we might see them open with My Shot have a song or two in the middle then end with the last section of "Non-Stop" where everyone is singing there own thing. That would certainly include everyone in there! I also would not be shocked to see a little extra staging with the "Wait for It" section.

So new prediction... gosh I have thought WAY to much about this in my free time at work today... they start with "My Shot," going through each of the guys bits and taking it to right where they have just told off Burr for being and switch over to him by himself on "Wait for It" with a little different staging going on around to having some movement behind telling some of the missing story as Burr watches on like Angelica introducing Hamilton and Eliza, Washington picking Hamilton, the fighting at Yorktown. Cut then to the end of "Non-Stop" perhaps coming in on Hamilton telling Eliza that they are asking him to lead. I did the timing on it and it would run about 4:30 which is how much I think I read the performance is going to be.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#118What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/22/16 at 10:18am

If they do a medley it seems to me that they'd want to include You'll Be Back, since Groff is nominated. 

aaaaaa15
#119What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/22/16 at 1:07pm

They should just have Groff introduce the number in character instead. You'll Be Back would clash too much with the rest of the music to put it in a medley.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#120What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/22/16 at 1:09pm

It would be cute if they got Brian, Jon, Andrew and Rory to present the number together.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

swanjewel Profile Photo
swanjewel
#121What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/22/16 at 2:42pm

aaaaaa15 said: "They should just have Groff introduce the number in character instead. You'll Be Back would clash too much with the rest of the music to put it in a medley."

Maybe they could find a way to go from "What Comes Next?" to "Non-Stop"? 

Groff could do the intro but I also thought it would be funny if King George had a little banter with James Corden.  They're both British and the writers could do a lot with that.  Something like King George saying he thought he was hosting the Tonys but they chose to go with Corden. The possibilities are endless...

aaaaaa15
#122What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/28/16 at 7:00am

So in Leslie's new video blog for broadway.com he showed when they were rehearsing for the Tonys (the same day as when the Wait For It clip was recorded) and he said he wasn't going to reveal what they gonna perform but there was a clip of them singing It's Quiet Uptown. I'm so intrigued about this performance.

Updated On: 5/28/16 at 07:00 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#123What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/28/16 at 8:23am

aaaaaa15 said: "So in Leslie's new video blog for broadway.com he showed when they were rehearsing for the Tonys (the same day as when the Wait For It clip was recorded) and he said he wasn't going to reveal what they gonna perform but there was a clip of them singing It's Quiet Uptown. I'm so intrigued about this performance."

aaaaaa15, I'm very curious as to what they're doing, but I want to add that that clip of them singing "Quiet Uptown" looked to me more like warming-up than actual vocal rehearsal performance. To be sure, their Tony performance could indeed potentially include a snippet of "Uptown," but that clip seemed to be of the cast vocally preparing to get on stage for actual rehearsal. 

Gymfan15
#124What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/28/16 at 8:38am

Yeah, I really doubt It's Quiet Uptown is one of the songs performed. Someone should analyze the rest of the video and see if they can figure out what they're doing based on blocking, haha.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if block and stage a "new" version of a number, for instance doing "Wait For It" but changing the blocking so the whole cast is in it. Usually shows want to keep numbers as true to stage as possible, but this is a chance for Hamilton to record something special for posterity, so I could see them going with something unique. But what do I know, haha. Just theorizing.

Videos