pixeltracker

Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!- Page 3

Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#50Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 4:04pm

ClassicallyConnor said: "I can't imagine a version of this show without the Fosse choreography.

But I couldn't imagine Pippin without it either, and the revival was smashing.

"

I think Youtube has some clips of the last revival--I remember the Rich Man's Frug, one of my all time fave dance numbers, just seeming like a watered down version (though I don't envy any choreographer who has to do a new version of that--it's a bit like with the Promises Promises revival's new Turkey Lurkey Time which could never top the Bennett original which nearly any Broadway fan with youtube had seen by then)>

I've seen two videos of the Fosse revival from the 1980s (with Reinking who is good but a bit harsh in the role and McKechnie in the tour--who is perfect) and it's not just the choreography, but the staging (which, with a few exceptions, recreated the original production) is simply brilliant including that underrated set which uses a camera iris effect to zoom in on parts of the stage.  It should be kept in mind that Fosse instigated Sweet Charity just as much as, say, Bennett did with A Chorus Line.  It was his pet project.  He finally got a score made.  And only then did he take the demo of the score to Neil Simon's to try to convince him to write the libretto around his ideas (he originally planned--as he often would later on--to write the script himself).  So to remove Fosse really is to remove perhaps the key author--maybe one reason the show simply hasn't seemed to work without him despite one of my fave scores.  I mean that doesn't mean a brilliant new staging can't happen, but.

Of course Pippin used the Fosse vocabulary (and recreated the Manson Trio which got a special Fosse credit in the program) as well as some acctual moments of the choreography and I agree that it worked for me.  And, while most people seem to just think of the current Chicago as Fosse's choreography it also is essentially re-choreographed by Reinking in the Fosse style (again Hot Honey Rag gets its own credit due to being a strict recreation of the Fosse original) and while I like Reinking's work in CHicago--certainly more than what I've seen of her original choreography not done in the Fosse style or Rob Marshall's choreo for the Chicago film--comparing some of it with the original (even a simple number like All I Care About is Love which Orbach and the chorus did on the Tonys) you see that she re-used a lot of his stuff but often in comparison the Fosse work still looks a bit more precise.

Anyway, ramble ramble...  I should give Bergasse a chance I suppose.  The main difference is when he did On the Town, *that* choreography had been lost (for Jerome Robbins' Broadway, Robbins himself had to re-choreograph the On the Town section incorporating the bits he could remember)--Fosse's Charity choreography is all well documented or remembered by his dancers--especially thanks to the 80s revival and much of it being reused in the movie.  As I said, Fosse wasn't interested like those others in preserving his choreography particularly (he never approved of the Lincoln Center Archive videos--indeed their copy of Big Deal is just a copy of a home made bootleg) so I guess he wouldn't care, but...

VintageSnarker
#51Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 4:44pm

Having seen her in The Wild Party I have some reservations about her playing really broken, dark, and unseemly characters. But that's not the part in Sweet Charity. I've seen Nights of Cabiria and the movie version of Sweet Charity. First of all, there's nothing wrong with the way she looks for the part. All of the actresses have been pretty and somewhat elfin or doll-like. You have to believe she would get invited into the car and later that she'd have hope of a romance, fooling her love interest into thinking she's more wholesome than she is. That wouldn't work if she looked as weary and washed up as has been suggested. As for the character, I agree that Charity is mostly an optimistic character. For chrissakes, she sings "If My Friends Could See Me Now" and "I'm a Brass Band." Those aren't exactly dreary ballads requiring deep pathos.

#52Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/20/16 at 2:22am

I have a unique perspective here -- Sutton recorded one of my songs on her debut album, and it's also on her live album ("Air Conditioner" is the song).  She has done it in concert all over the country and I have a list of over 100 young theater girls who have found my website on the internet, and asked for the sheet music (which I happily send -- actually, just a lead sheet, but in 3 different keys).  

Sutton has devoted fans all over the map from her tv show "Bunheads" (which every young ballet dancer I have ever met raves about), and now "Younger."  Even though we know actors like Kelli O'Hara and Laura Bananti are brilliantly talented, they are not widely known outside of NYC -- but Sutton is.  And the fact that some of her fans go so far as to track me down -- it shows how her influence is growing.  

I'll never forget the first time I went to see "The Drowsy Chaperone" -- it was the third preview and I admit that I said to myself, "For Sutton's sake I hope it's a hit . . . but if it's not, she will do more concerts and will sing my song!"  

I'm not proud of that selfish moment I had that night at the Marriott Marquis Theater -- but by the time that performance of Drowsy was over I knew it was going to be a hit, and I ended up seeing it 68 times (they had a lottery and a whole bunch of us Drowsy heads became friends and teamed up to increase our chances of winning). 

I also thought Sutton in "Anything Goes" was terrific, and even though I didn't like "The Wild Party" all that much (too dark -- but Steven Pasquale -- hubba hubba) -- and Sutton again was stunning -- I don't think there's anything she can't do -- and do better than 99% of the rest of the planet.  Her star is still ascending.

BTW, Sutton found my song when she was planning to do a "warm weather" concert in the dead of winter in NYC (she did it at Joe's Pub).  I met her for the first time that night and she said to me, "Want to know how I found your song?  I went to iTunes and was using summer words to find songs -- words like "heat" "humidity" "summertime" and "air conditioner' and your song popped up."

I tell my songwriting friends, if a Tony winning Broadway star is surfing iTunes looking for songs, we should ALL have our songs on iTunes. If you are a songwriter reading this, get your songs up there!  You never know who might discover you! 

Wilmingtom
#53Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/20/16 at 3:01am

"Why bother if you do not get the Fosse choreography."

It may well be choreographed "in the style of" as was the revival of Chicago.  And I think Foster is a great choice.  I agree that it's a peculiar fit with New Group but I trust McCullum to know what he's doing.

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#54Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/20/16 at 7:37am

wicked fan, I am glad you're thrilled. I find Foster dull and with personality. Annoyingly spunky, maybe, but I also HATED Wicked.

GiveMyRegards212
#55Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/20/16 at 1:02pm

I am so excited. I think she has just the right about of charisma and bright energy that is needed for Charity. She is a true triple threat, and I don't understand those saying she won't be able to dance this.

nsguy45 Profile Photo
nsguy45
#56Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/20/16 at 3:52pm

Sutton, Donna and Raul made Anyone Can Whistle the best Encores! production I have ever seen, with Damn Yankees with Sean, Jane and Cheyenne matching it for excellence.

BobPopa Profile Photo
BobPopa
#57Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/20/16 at 8:34pm

Sutton is a fantastic triple threat. She has great sense of comedic timing, and was just brilliant in VIOLET. I don't love SWEET CHARITY by any stretch (I do enjoy the score). But with her in the show, it has gotten me interested.

"He wants to know who cares. I care you stupid fool we all care..." John Wilkes Booth (Assassins)

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#58Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/21/16 at 12:58pm

Why does SWEET CHARITY get dragged out every once in a while? I love Sutton, and would go see her do just about anything, but SC is a not-very-good show with some great songs and Fosse choreography, but not much else to recommend it. Is musical theatre so bereft that it has to serve up the same old tired shows? Don't think so.

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#59Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/21/16 at 1:32pm

It's a great role for a leading lady who can act, sing a little, and dance a lot. It's a charming show. It hasn't aged as well as Chicago or something, but with the right team, it's a great night at the theater. 

Sutton wouldn't be my 1st choice, but I'm sure she'll be fine. I really wanted Emma Stone to do a revival. I'm sure she could sing it (anyone can for the most part), but I don't know if she could dance it. The person that mentioned Anna Farris is on to something as well. What an inspired idea. Then again, I don't know if she could dance OR sing it. 

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#60Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 8/19/16 at 6:48pm

Bumping. When is this supposed to open? Can't for the life of me spot an opening night listed. Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!

Shaunthedog
#61Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 8/19/16 at 11:13pm

LimelightMike said: "Bumping. When is this supposed to open? Can't for the life of me spot an opening night listed. Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!

"

I know sutton is a big tv star! But why isn't she doing this on Broadway ? hang on if she is a big tv star doesn't that means she should do this on broadway

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#62Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 8/19/16 at 11:26pm

It opens November 20th. 

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#63Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 8/20/16 at 8:31pm

I've never been to a New Group production.

Will this have a Playbill? Very curious about the artwork. Any insight appreciated.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#64Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 8/25/16 at 10:32am

I know there's some speculation about it possibly transferring to Broadway if it does well, but I have a question about that. How often do revivals transfer from off-Broadway to Broadway?

I know that usually happens with new works like Disgraced, Eclipsed, Fun Home, Hamilton, Hand to God, The Humans, etc. But I've never heard of an off-Broadway revival that managed to transfer to Broadway.

Updated On: 8/25/16 at 10:32 AM

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#65Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 8/25/16 at 10:45am

Hair revival started at the Public before transferring to the Hirschfeld

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#66Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 8/25/16 at 10:54am

A minor quibble, but the Delacorte isn't actually considered an off-Broadway space.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#67Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 8/25/16 at 10:58am

What would the Delacorte be considered?

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#68Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 8/25/16 at 11:10am

I'm not sure why Delacorte was brought up * . The show is happening at The Romulus Linney Courtyard Theatre, which has 199-250 "flexible" seats. "Off-Broadway" label requires for it to have, by definition, 100–499 seats but traditionally, we have had only 40 theaters officially called "off-broadway". None of the Signature Theater spaces are called as such - I don't actually know why, though. Wikipedia says it might not be an "updated list".

As for Delacorte - it's an open space with 1800 seats which is used by Pulic for their "Shakespeare in the Park" series. I'm not sure why it's not called "Broadway" (which it would fit the definition of, seating space wise). I guess it's too far up North? ("I CAN SEE HARLEM FROM HERE!" - Billy Porter, la Shuffle Along)

* Edit - Kad was referring to the revival of Hair, which moved from Delacorte to Broadway. My bad for not realizing that.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
Updated On: 8/25/16 at 11:10 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#69Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 8/25/16 at 11:13am

It's kind of its own thing. It's far, far too large to be considered off-Broadway, which is defined as a house between 100 and 499 seats. It's even larger than quite a few Broadway houses (it seats almost 1800), but it exists quite a distance from the "Broadway box" area of midtown. It even utilizes a different Equity contract than the Public's space downtown.

Hair actually transferred into a *smaller* space by moving from the Delacorte to the Hirschfeld.
"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 8/25/16 at 11:13 AM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#70Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 8/25/16 at 11:36am

To whoever was asking about artwork:

Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Liza's Headband
#71Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 8/25/16 at 11:38am

There are a lot of ideas/emotions/possible scenarios I pick up from that picture... SWEET CHARITY ain't one of them. They're mostly inappropriate. What a bizarre promotional shot. 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#72Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 8/25/16 at 11:40am

It is a strange promotion image. Especially since the behind the scene shot they tweeted out showed her in costume (at least from what her skirt and shoes could indicate).

Nevertheless I'm excited to see what Leigh Silverman has up her sleeve.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#73Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 8/25/16 at 11:42am

I like the font and design of the title (sort of looks like lipstick on a mirror), but the shot of Foster says nothing meaningful at all.

In fact, the title's design says more about what to expect from the production than the picture of Foster does.
Updated On: 8/25/16 at 11:42 AM

neonlightsxo
#74Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 8/25/16 at 11:44am

Yes, it will have a playbill.