pixeltracker

Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!- Page 5

Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!

Hariku
#100Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 8/25/16 at 7:17pm

It's called an opinion. (A correct, in this case, but still an opinion)

And being a two time Tony winner only means that you won a Tony twice. It means you won an award, it doesn't mean you're perfect for everything that comes down the pike.

orlikethecolorpurple
#101Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 8/25/16 at 7:46pm

"Does she not know how bland she is" is not a statement of opinion. "I think she's bland" is an opinion. 

And an opinion, by definition, cannot be "correct."

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#102Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/1/16 at 9:18am

I wonder if they'll re-instate Charity's Soliloquy for this revival as they did for the Applegate revival. It's one of my favorite songs in the score.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#103Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/1/16 at 1:00pm

I also hope they'll use the Soliloquy, but I hope they do NOT use the pop versions of "Bravest Individual" and the title song. Using the originals of those 3 songs is something the Applegate revival got very right.

Updated On: 10/1/16 at 01:00 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#104Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/1/16 at 1:56pm

I'm expecting a totally new grittier interpretation of SWEET CHARITY so I'm expecting the traditional orchestrations to be tossed out as well.  We'll know in a few weeks after the first preview.  

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#105Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/1/16 at 3:44pm

I agree but I at least hope they keep the original melodies of Individual and the title song. The pop versions cannot compare.

CindersGolightly
#106Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/1/16 at 9:44pm

Completely agreed, ljay889. I know a lot of people had issue with the Applegate revival on stage, but the recording is one of my favorites of this score. It's charming, really. And I am looking forward to more gritty non-traditional orchestrations, absolutely, but I'm hoping that they don't stray too far from the original melodies of the songs. There's a way to reinvent this score, but what's been done in history hasn't really been right. But this revival has a chance to really nail it. Plus, ever-loving and optimistic Charity surrounded by grittiness of the city, her work, and some dark orchestrations, that's something to play with. I hope that's the direction they're taking this in. 

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#107Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/6/16 at 12:55pm

Does anyone have a promo code for the premium seats? I was looking at the tickets and it looks like they only have premium seats or wheelchair companion seats for the days when I'll be in the city. $150 is just a little too steep for my pocket so hoping there is a cheaper way I can see this show!

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#108Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/6/16 at 1:05pm

The Applegate recording of "Rich Man's Frug" is the best sounding version of that piece ever.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#109Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/20/16 at 5:59pm

Has there been any news of a Rush or student discount? Just found out I'll be in NYC this December, and I would be a fool to miss this, so I'm trying to see it without breaking my (very small) bank.

broadwayboy223
#110Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/20/16 at 6:23pm

Can anyone elaborate on why Jane wasn't able to do the last Sweet Charity? It seems to me she gets involved in great projects and doesn't do them (Xanadu and Charity)

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#111Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/20/16 at 6:56pm

NBC TV's 30 ROCK was in pre-production stages when the 2005 Broadway revival of SWEET CHARITY was already doing its pre-Broadway out-of-town stops so it's safe to assume she was already committed to 30 ROCK.

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#112Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/21/16 at 2:41am

But, wasn't Rachel Dratch originally hired to play Jenna? She filmed the pilot and everything and, to my knowledge, Krakowski was a late addition to the cast. Not really arguing with you though, we don't know the exact timeline of those decisions and quite likely it was the cause of the scheduling conflict. 

Also, very much agree with some of the posters above. The Applegate revival recording plays extremely well and is a really lovely capture of the score.

"...and in a bed."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#113Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/22/16 at 10:03pm

There's pics of the set model and costume sketches here.

http://www.thenewgroup.org/sweet-charity.html

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#114Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/22/16 at 11:26pm

Jane Krakowski was fired from the production. The rumor on the board at the time was that she complained about a sexist bit of dialogue in the script and Neil Simon fired her, but I'm sure there was more to it. Clearly, this was a very troubled production behind the scenes, with Marissa Tomei, Jenna Elfman, and Jane Krakowski all hired and fired at different points before Applegate came in. And even she almost didn't get to play the role after her injury. Really, Jane Krakowski would have been a Charity for the ages though she probably is fortunate not to be associated with such a weak production. Also, she wasn't involved with 30 ROCK in 2005. As someone else said, she came in to 30 ROCK very late into the process since Rachel Dratch played Jenna in the original pilot. 30 ROCK did keep her from being in XANADU, which she was set to do until 30 ROCK got a very unexpected second season pick up.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#115Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/22/16 at 11:36pm

The set looks like what I'd have expected. Don't see that fitting anywhere else but The Circle. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#116Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/23/16 at 12:01am

RippedMan said: "The set looks like what I'd have expected. Don't see that fitting anywhere else but The Circle."

There's literally nothing unique about that set which would limit it from being transferred to a traditional proscenium stage. The models resemble a stadium-esque look (resembling Circle...) because that's how the New Stage setting is. 

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#117Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/23/16 at 12:10am

This could possibly transfer to studio 54 and be in a thrust set up like cabaret was.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

MazingerZ
#118Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/23/16 at 12:12am

What is it so exciting about The New Group taking government, private donations and foundations monies, to do a show that first opened 50 years ago, and has been revived in NYC repeatedly as short as 10 years ago on Broadway and a noted production in Harlem a few years ago at Aaron Davis Hall?  What is so innovative, riske and avant about that?  They should be using all that money to produce new work by emerging writers, and providing opportunities to new designers and emerging actors, rather than throwing away monies at producing lavish showcases for themselves and their friends.  There are so many great, small theater companies in NY that do great work and get no support, and the New Group, Roundabout, Lincoln Center and the likes, get thousands to do what??  Produce revivals and hire stars to produce limited engagements that only their subscribers and a few get to see? 

Updated On: 10/23/16 at 12:12 AM

CindersGolightly
#119Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/23/16 at 12:28am

Couldn't get tickets, huh?

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#120Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/23/16 at 1:37am

RippedMan said: "The set looks like what I'd have expected. Don't see that fitting anywhere else but The Circle. 

"

...Nothing about that set screams Circle to me.Actually, it screams the opposite. This could easily be adapted to fit on any proscenium stage on Broadway. 

jonlow09
#121Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/23/16 at 11:17pm

gleek4114 said: "Has there been any news of a Rush or student discount? Just found out I'll be in NYC this December, and I would be a fool to miss this, so I'm trying to see it without breaking my (very small) bank.

"

The New Groups standard rush policy is $30, one hour before curtain but with a big name it's certainly possible for them to switch it up. I hope not  

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#122Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/23/16 at 11:28pm

jonlow09 said: "gleek4114 said: "Has there been any news of a Rush or student discount? Just found out I'll be in NYC this December, and I would be a fool to miss this, so I'm trying to see it without breaking my (very small) bank.

"

The New Groups standard rush policy is $30, one hour before curtain but with a big name it's certainly possible for them to switch it up. I hope not  

"

Thanks for the info! I sent them an email asking if they had any plans for rush, or an expectation of rush, so I'll post here if they say they have any deffinate plans.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#123Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 10/23/16 at 11:42pm

I suppose you're right. Just figured they'd want to compete that intimate feeling? And why not be the "hot" ticket in town and selling out every night rather than playing a big space? But I guess we'll see. Either way, I really liked the design for the recent revival and hate that we're getting a substantially scale down version in the way of "art."