pixeltracker

Incident at Signature Theatre today.....

Incident at Signature Theatre today.....

iluvtheatertrash
#1Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 5:10pm

Saddened and disgusted by something that happened at Signature Theatre Company today. I'm not posting this to bash what is a wonderful company, but because sometimes wonderful companies need to be aware of how their employees behave.

A group of vision impaired audience members were at the matinee today. A few minutes before curtain, a blind woman named Dawn sitting in front of me asked for help finding an usher so she could go to the ladies' room. The House Manager told me "that's not my problem, I'm not here to take care of them". So, I walked Dawn to the bathroom and had to find a woman in the audience kind enough to take her in for me and help her to a stall. 

What bothered me even more than her refusal to help, though, was how she said RIGHT IN FRONT OF DAWN, "I don't have to help THEM." As if they don't matter. As if Dawn didn't matter. Dawn isn't an animal or a robot, she's a human. She matters. So, when I got back to her seat, I leaned forward and apologized for the House Manager and that Dawn had to hear her say that. "I'm used to it," she said. My heart broke. 

You know, I've been a House Manager many times before. I worked in even more stressful situations, like tapings of Inside The Actor's Studio. I don't care how stressful or tired or frustrated you are. If you can't take a moment to help someone WHO CANNOT SEE find a bathroom, then you need to find your superior, excuse yourself and come back with a brighter outlook the next day. Or find another job that doesn't involve being around other people.

No matter how tired or stressful you might be, try to remember that person who is going through your life without the ability to SEE is probably a helluva lot more stressed and tired than you've ever been and ever will be. And if that doesn't work, try to think about what it might be like if you go blind someday and can't find the bathroom on your own...

If you're so inclined, please share this. I know I have many usher friends who would NEVER treat a patron like this. I made several complaints to her colleagues and intend on writing a letter to the board. I hope Signature makes sure that this never happens again. And I sincerely hope that if that young woman ever finds herself in Dawn's shoes, she is shown more kindness than she showed today.

UPDATE: I called to file a more formal complaint. They brushed me off, said they knew about it but that their staff did all they are "legally obligated" to do. Seriously? Disgusting. I will think long and hard before buying tickets there again.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

RogerMoore
#2Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 5:12pm

Heartbreaking. Thank you for helping Dawn and being kind to her. You're a good one.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 5:18pm

Terrible.  Sure, maybe LEGALLY obligated, but what about morally or, god forbid, HUMANLY obligated.

Please still write the letter, I'm sure (or at least hoping) that their board will care more than the house manager.   

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#4Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 5:21pm

dramamama611 said: "Terrible.  Sure, maybe LEGALLY obligated, but what about morally or, god forbid, HUMANLY obligated.

Please still write the letter, I'm sure (or at least hoping) that their board will care more than the house manager.   

"

Agreed and at the very least the house manager could have found another staff member to help if she really didn't want to help. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#5Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 5:22pm

that is disgusting what that house manager said. absolutely awful. and the way the theater handled it when you called was equally terrible. I've worked with the some blind people, and they were lovely humans. that house manager shouldn't be working with people if that's how she treats the disabled.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

AnnieBlack
#6Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 5:24pm

Horrible story- i have to think karma works in this case, giving you back the good that you put forth!

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#7Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 5:24pm

dramamama611 said: "Terrible.  Sure, maybe LEGALLY obligated, but what about morally or, god forbid, HUMANLY obligated.

"

Or if their board doesn't care some of their sponsors might - like, for example, TDF's Accessibility Program would probably be interested in hearing about this.

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#8Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 5:28pm

What a horrid person. Sure, it can be a stressful job, but that's no excuse to treat someone who is disabled to such a degree in that way. Please write a letter to the board and if you hear anything back, please bump this thread and let us know. You are wonderful for doing what you did. 

¿Macavity?
#9Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 5:29pm

That's awful. To think that there are people that rude/cruel working in commercial business makes me sick. I'll think about this the next time I consider going to the Signature. Terrible.

smidge
#10Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 5:34pm

Also, it won't hurt to comment on their Twitter and Facebook accounts. 

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#11Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 5:35pm

Yes, disperse the story far and wide. We all know that social media shaming often has a greater impact that person to person communication these days. It's devastating to read this. Theaters are often among the most disability unfriendly places, unfortunately. 

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#12Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 5:41pm

How frustrating and disappointing for all parties involved.  Groups like Signature previously seemed to me like they wanted to make theater more accessible for patrons with visual or hearing difficulties.  Sadly, what Dawn said is true.  I work with many students are deaf or hard of hearing and attend classes with an aide or interpreter.  It's heart breaking when they speak of how many people, organizations, and places claim they're doing all they have to do when they're doing nothing.  

I have to second what other's have said--tweet about this, post about it on Facebook, get it on Instagram, and let TDF know.  I have a sinking feeling that this is not the first time this has happened in a well-known theater and it's time that more people start responding.

EDIT: I'm assuming you were seeing Daphne's Dive (That's what is at Signature right now, correct?).  Tweet/post this to cast members and the director--I'd aim for Daphne Rubin-Vega, Tommy Kail, and Samira Wiley.  Yes, I know they have no say about what happens in the house and how it's dealt with, but sometimes if they see something and speak up to someone about it, it can have a bigger effect.

Updated On: 6/1/16 at 05:41 PM

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#13Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 5:51pm

Good for you, iluvtheatertrash! I share the hope that you will follow through with the board.

I do not and have not run a theater in Manhattan, but I think a case could be made that merely seating blind patrons and then refusing to guide them to the restrooms is NOT, in fact, an example of full compliance with the ADA.

iluvtheatertrash
#14Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 5:52pm

I've been tweeting up a storm and posted this on Facebook. It's been shared quite a few times now. I heard from Signature in a DM on Twitter that their Audiences Services Head would like to speak with me. I called and he asked me to tell him what happened.

As I did, I reiterated what and HOW the employee spoke to me and Dawn. I was told to "lower the register of my voice". He was rude and condescending. Additionally, I was fed a slew of excuses about how they're not legally allowed to "touch" patrons. Dawn didn't ask her to touch her. She just wanted to know how to get to the bathroom. Apparently, they'll be "speaking with" the employee about her behavior. But no apology was offered and they don't seem to feel very bad about what happened. 

I am very, very disgusted. At this point, I don't believe I will ever spend money at Signature again. And I am  someone who sees all of their productions year after year. 

iluvtheatertrash
#15Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 5:57pm

He claimed that they discussed with this group TWICE before attending that they could not "touch" them and that they offered all of the help they are legally allowed to offer. I have been to MANY theaters across this city where I have watched countless ushers offer an arm to a patron struggling with stairs. It may very well be the law -- I'm not actually sure if it is or not. But y'know.... Sometimes compassion and kindness have to come first. 

I'm a playwright, and I've got my picture and name on Twitter. So, I realize that I could be burning a bridge here by being so vocal about it. But my mother raised me with a strong sense of right and wrong, and what I witnessed today was absolutely wrong. 

One thing I'd like to note: the group certainly did not have enough aides to care for all of them. But I noticed MANY audience members like myself offering aide and assistance, going far beyond Signature's staff. 

bunnie3 Profile Photo
bunnie3
#16Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 6:02pm

Edit.

I'm "TINY"aka TheTinyMagic. BWW log on problems forever. Yeesh.
Updated On: 6/1/16 at 06:02 PM

iluvtheatertrash
#17Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 6:03pm

THANK YOU, BUNNIE!!!!!!!!!!

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#18Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 6:08pm

I am honestly shocked more so by the theater's attitude after this happened rather than the actions of the idiot house manager.   This is disgusting.   I think someone should get this story to the NY Times.

iluvtheatertrash
#19Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 6:10pm

I'm really, really appalled. Does anyone have any advice on my next step? I tweeted it to Daphne Rubin Vega. Thought Saldivar was on Twitter but can't seem to find him.... 

And yes, I have to agree. I'm more shocked by their response to what I'm telling them. What really gets me is that they're treating me like I'm overreacting. I mean.... Am I so out of reach here to think that how I was treated AS I HELPED SOMEONE IN NEED and how, most importantly, DAWN, was treated was wrong?

Let me just reiterate: I do not know Dawn. I am not involved in the group that was there today. I paid for my ticket and wanted to help someone who needed help. That's it. 

iluvtheatertrash
#20Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 6:13pm

In response to all the "so good of you" and "karma" comments, thank you, but you know... I don't really think of it as a good deed or something that's going to come back to me? I just know that if I were in Dawn's shoes, I would want people to be patient and kind to me as I do my best to get through life with such a disability. Until today, I thought most people were like that... 

I have to confess, I had a hard time enjoying the play. It bothered me throughout and I sat there mulling it over in my head. But about halfway through it had occurred to me that Dawn was laughing and responding and engaging with the play from the moment it started. She just let it roll off her shoulders. I hated that she had to do it, and only cared for her more because she could. 

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#21Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 6:17pm

Actually, this is kind of a Michael Riedel type story.  You can go to the NY Post website and his column, and email him.

iluvtheatertrash
#22Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 6:20pm

On it!

ChiTheaterFan
#23Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 6:20pm

The thing I don't understand about their response is even if they're not legally allowed to help someone (and I'm sure you could help someone to the restroom without touching that but let's set even that aside for a minute and assume they really couldn't help since I know people are afraid of being sued) the problem is the way they treated Dawn and spoke to her. (Or rather spoke about her in front of her face.) There is a way to politely tell someone you can't help without treating people as sub-human. 

I used to work with adults with developmental disabilities and unfortunately it did nothing to improve my faith in humanity...

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#24Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 6:21pm

I'm sure an employee is not allowed to grab a blind person by the hair and drag her up the ramp to the lounge. That would be legal assault.

But when a disabled person asks for assistance, I doubt that offering one's arm and waiting for the blind patron's hand to find that arm would be considered "touching", for legal purposes. I think the "touching" has to be unwanted to be actionable.

ChiTheaterFan
#25Incident at Signature Theatre today.....
Posted: 6/1/16 at 6:41pm

I'm guessing the issue isn't touching in a battery sense (which yes has to be unwanted) it's a civil liability concern. It's not that it's illegal to touch them; it's that if they try to help and while helping the person falls and gets hurt, the person may claim negligence and sue. If you do nothing there's not that risk. (Same reason people certified in CPR used to be afraid to help before most states enacted Good Samaritan laws.). So it's probably not illegal but is probably not technically permitted by the theater (or more accurately the insurance company). They put those policies in place to cover their asses but I'm sure many ushers disregard them to help someone in need. 

But like I said, even if the usher didn't feel able to help, that doesn't excuse the lack of common courtesy and human decency in the way she spoke to the individual.