pixeltracker

Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical- Page 4

Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#75Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/22/17 at 3:38pm

TrulyOutrageousJem said: "Xanadu, Legally, Blonde, Smile, and Mama Mia for sure. Had great fun at all of those shows.

My biggest guilty pleasure, tho, is Carrie. I liked the revival and enjoy the recording a great deal. But I LOVE the 1988 Broadway recordings. I know that's not a popular opinion but I get such a thrill from the Broadway orchestrations, Linzi Hately, and Betty Buckley in that show. And here's where it gets really bad ... I adore "Don't Waste the Moon!" 

I couldnt agree more. The Broadway orchstrations were fantastic. They were chilling and atmospheric. The revised version with the original orchestration would be perfect.

There's nothing wrong with liking dont waste the moon, i really like 'It hurts to be strong' !

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#76Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/22/17 at 3:43pm

Taboo. And I don't feel guilt about it because the score is fantastic. I also don't feel guilty about loving Rock of Ages.

I guess All Shook Up and The Wedding Singer count too. 

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#77Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/22/17 at 4:01pm

The OBC CARRIE is really the ultimate answer. That staging, those songs. SO crazy bad I cannot get enough.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

jo
#78Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/22/17 at 4:26pm

Jarethan said: "Starlight Express in London.  The show was in a huge old movie palace, which allowed the cast to skate around the entire orchestra area.   His made it very exciting.

"

I went to see it to take a young relative but I was not keen to do it. I ended up seeing it 3 times with the excuse that there were other young relatives to take to the show.  Loved it! It was the atmosphere at the Apollo and the skating thrills...and of course one of Lloyd Webber's underappreciated scores.

3NU Profile Photo
3NU
#79Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/23/17 at 2:36am

I adore It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman, though my taste in musicals has been challenged multiple times by others after having mentioned that lol. 

Legally Blonde was the first Broadway musical I ever saw, so it will always hold a special place in my heart.

I've seen a couple mentions of Honeymoon in Vegas on here. Is that really a guilty pleasure? Because it's FREAKING FANTASTIC.

seriously13
#80Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/23/17 at 11:29am

Xanadu and Rock of Ages!

TrulyOutrageousJem Profile Photo
TrulyOutrageousJem
#81Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/24/17 at 11:38am

I couldnt agree more. The Broadway orchstrations were fantastic. They were chilling and atmospheric. The revised version with the original orchestration would be perfect.

There's nothing wrong with liking dont waste the moon, i really like 'It hurts to be strong' !

Glad "I'm Not Alone" in the Carrie OBC love (see what I did there?). The 80's fanatic in me just gets such a thrill from the drum machine patterns in such classics as "In," "Out for Blood," and "Whatta Night." And the Margaret/Carrie stuff just soars IMO.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#82Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/24/17 at 1:08pm

Reefer Madness. Great music, and I think the lyrics are flat-out genius.

DigificWriter
#83Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/24/17 at 2:42pm

The first two things that popped into my mind when I read the OP are Jekyll & Hyde and Chaplin! the Musical, the former of which is my favorite musical of all time (and I've seen/listened to a LOT of musicals).

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#84Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/24/17 at 4:09pm

Wicked (my gateway show), RENT, Jekyll and Hyde, Mamma Mia!, and Bombshell (if that counts).

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#85Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/24/17 at 6:57pm

Bombay Dreams

and the already mentioned

Chess, starlight Express, Urinetown, wedding Singer, Priscilla, Xanadu, Rocky Horror Show

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#86Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/25/17 at 10:42am

"Metropolis."  I had the vinyl. Now the CD. It's not good, but I've played the damned thing to death over the years.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#87Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/25/17 at 11:33am

How did Rent and Urinetown become "guilty pleasure" shows?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#88Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/25/17 at 11:46am

I can't speak for others, but when the teenybopper culture in my hometown discovered RENT, it got old quickly...almost a joke/cliche. Same with Wicked. I find it sad, but I still think there's artistic merit in them.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

That1GirlAnnettee
#89Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/25/17 at 12:47pm

I don't consider these guilty pleasures, but most of this board would. Please no judgements. I like what I like. And no these aren't the only "types" of musicals I like. I have a long list of other musicals that I also love. But......you asked for guilty pleasures.

Spider Man: Turn Off The Dark, Rocky, Wicked, and Brooklyn.

Again, I shouldn't have to repeat this....but I don't want or need rude remarks. I realize I have an unpopular opinion....but isn't that what the Broadway community is about....acceptance of different opinions?

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#90Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/25/17 at 12:55pm

You won't get a rude remark from me That1GirlAnnettee. One person's rhinestone is another's diamond. You are most certainly entitled to your opinion without getting attacked and ridiculed for it. 

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

That1GirlAnnettee
#91Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/25/17 at 1:02pm

Theater_Nerd said: "You won't get a rude remark from me That1GirlAnnettee. One person's rhinestone is another's diamond. You are most certainly entitled to your opinion without getting attacked and ridiculed for it. 

"

Thanks! You have shown the true Broadway spirit. We can share our opinions for fun. We don't have to agree.  ??

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#92Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/25/17 at 1:08pm

Bright Star and If/Then

Though I don't feel even remotely guilty about loving those shows Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical

That1GirlAnnettee
#93Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/25/17 at 1:38pm

I love Bright Star as well. It deserved a much longer run.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#94Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/25/17 at 1:55pm

This will come as no surprise to virtually anyone who has read my posts here, but... Dance of the Vampires. Don't get me wrong, I didn't think the New York version was at all funny or a hidden gem, but if I focused on the score as opposed to the script, I had a lot of fun remembering what worked so well about the European version and savoring what remained of it.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#95Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/25/17 at 3:40pm

PThespian said: "Starlight Express. It wowed me in the theatre both times I saw it, and I think the score is just fun. 

No heavy lifting involved. 

"

I watched Starlight Express during a family vacation in Vegas and loved it! It looked so much fun roller skating!!!

lotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
#96Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/25/17 at 3:58pm

thirtythirtyninety said: "MOBY DICK, the  Mackintosh version set in an all girls' school.  Never seen it live, but I love that score

"Saw Dick 7 times during it's very short run at the Piccadilly in London. It was as wacky as hell, but an absolute hoot. Hilarious.

I agree, it's a terrificly fun score

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#97Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/25/17 at 4:40pm

PRISCILLA, QUEEN OF THE DESERT was the most fun I've ever had watching a musical when I saw the national tour in Los Angeles! I'll also always have a soft spot for MAMMA MIA.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

shanphelia Profile Photo
shanphelia
#98Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/26/17 at 8:20pm

Aspects of Love

Videos