pixeltracker

Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?- Page 4

Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?

mufish
#75Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/16/16 at 7:28pm

I don't think it's unreasonable to think at least a few of the principles will extend for, say, six months.  Some of you who are more knowledgeable in the ins and outs of Broadway contracts might know better, but I feel like that is not an uncommon extension length. 

I think the cast has a good deal of leverage in their negotiations right now.  While the show will have no problem surviving, I can't imagine they'd love to have 100% turnover of the principles at the same time.  And selfishly I really hope Leslie Odom Jr., Daveed Diggs, and Anthony Ramos extend...I was lucky enough to see the OBC in August (though Ramos was out) and I've got a ticket to go again in November!

herewegoabc
#76Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/17/16 at 6:13am

I saw the show in January when Leslie was on vacation. I've got tickets for October, so obviously I'd LOVE for him to extend through the end of the year, but I'm not really holding my breath.

That said, I was super bummed when it was announced that he would be out that week. Sydney was in, though, and truly, he was amazing. I have never seen Leslie live, so obviously I can't compare the two. Having seen someone else in for Burr, though, I can confirm that it's doable without a hitch.

I have a much harder time imagining someone else in for Lafayette/Jefferson. Daveed brings something to it that is just purely DAVEED. It's hard to imagine someone else playing those roles and delivering the lines because Daveed is so specifically accented in a way that's all natural and not a typical stage accent that could be duplicated. His delivery of the lyrics is just so unique that I find it hard to imagine them being delivered in any other way. But then I read people who have seen Andrew in, and they all rave about his performance... So obviously it can be done, I just can't personally imagine it.

Alexander Lamar
#77Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/17/16 at 7:26am

brdwayjunkie1391 said: "I've noticed a few Leslie concerts coming up in the Bay Area...as well as one with Daveed in Philly in August. 

"

When/where is the Philly concert?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#78Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/17/16 at 7:50am

Extentions:  can be of any length, all contracts can be.  I remember Gavin Creel didn't have a 1 year contract for Hair.  IF I remember correctly, they were paying pretty close to (or at) scale for all actors.  The bargain they reached gave him a shorter contract at a low salary, then he renegotiated (around Tony time, if I remember correctly) for something more fitting his experience.

As to concerts, that's likely something else that can be easily written into his contract, as they are now "pre-existing"

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

MannPhan24601
#79Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/17/16 at 8:47am

Alexander Lamar said: "brdwayjunkie1391 said: "I've noticed a few Leslie concerts coming up in the Bay Area...as well as one with Daveed in Philly in August. 

"

Looking for this and can't find it I would  like to know too since I'm in the area.I know Leslie's performing at the big 4th of July concert on the parkway but I can't find anything on a show with Daveed in August

"

Updated On: 6/17/16 at 08:47 AM

brdwayjunkie1391
#80Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/17/16 at 12:53pm

MannPhan24601 said: "Alexander Lamar said: "brdwayjunkie1391 said: "I've noticed a few Leslie concerts coming up in the Bay Area...as well as one with Daveed in Philly in August. 

"

Looking for this and can't find it I would  like to know too since I'm in the area.I know Leslie's performing at the big 4th of July concert on the parkway but I can't find anything on a show with Daveed in August
"

I'm sorry - I dont know why I said Philly. It is in New York. 

But for those in/around the area it's at Guild Hall on August 20. Here is the link! 
http://www.guildhall.org/events/?id=989&mode=id

I usually never do this, but I've listened to the Hamilton cast recording basically non-stop over the past few months even though I've never seen the show. It has definitely molded me into not being able to see anyone but Daveed as Lafayette/TJ. As herewegoabc said, what Daveed brings to his roles is something only he can do, but I'm sure his replacement will be great as well...just different.  Logically, I know the show will be amazing with or without the leads when I see it in December. I just put something in my head that more than likely won't be lived out when I see it on stage.

Updated On: 6/17/16 at 12:53 PM

dramamama611
#81Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/17/16 at 1:23pm

That's largely as it was written with him in mind.

I'll add my agreement that Burr and Lafeyette/Jefferson seem the hardest shoes to fill -- but I am totally looking forward to seeing what others do with the show.  (That being said, I'm hoping to catch Odom in the show again next month.)   I'm guessing by Feb, all the the leads will have replacements. Bring 'em on!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

davet7462
#82Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/17/16 at 4:40pm

Liza's Headband said: "How can someone answer your question unless they are a.) privy to contract negotiations and/or b.) able to get inside the mind of the actor??? I swear, the threads on this message board sometimes.... 

Maybe some people don't live in NY and aren't locally privy to as much news.  Not sure why there had to be attitude given for a reasonable question.

"

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#83Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/19/16 at 3:48pm

Several posters in this thread were confident "Hamilton" would ante up but the Odom departure seems the surest proof yet of this: There is no incentive for this sold-out show to pay more, even to cast members who are terrific and have gotten a lot of attention for that. I still say the "Hamilton" actors, even the Tony winners, are in maybe the worst negotiating position of any recent actors in a big Broadway hit because the show simply doesn't need them in order to sell tickets, regardless of their excellence. (In the case of Odom, of course, there may be special circumstances, what with him leading the charge for the cast to get a cut and, if his subsequent remarks mean what they seem to mean, there being some lingering rancor as a result of that.)

dramamama611
#84Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/19/16 at 3:57pm

And while I basically agree with you, we have no idea what Odom was asking for.  Maybe it was reasonable, maybe it wasn't.  We will likely never know.  But as many of us have said:  the star is the show.   The producers know it, and so do we.

(I'm not, at all, trying to take away the amazing performances the actors have created.)

pupscotch
#85Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/19/16 at 4:00pm

I'm going to throw it out there-I didn't see Daveed. I saw Andrew. He was terrific. I don't know how good Daveed is, but the show was still wonderful. I didn't think I missed anything. They may not plan to replace him with Andrew, which I think would be the best idea, but Lafayette/Jefferson is definitely replaceable.

Sunny11
#86Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/19/16 at 4:17pm

Year I think it's safe to say that Hamiton will be as much a fixture on Broadway for the next decade as Wicked or The Lion King  is now. As long as the replacement cast is good the loss of the original cast won't be a fatal blow. Even if grosses drop slightly the thing is still a bonified juggernaut. 

Updated On: 6/19/16 at 04:17 PM

MyFavoriteBrunette Profile Photo
MyFavoriteBrunette
#87Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/19/16 at 4:36pm

My first time seeing Hamilton was the week Groff was leaving.  I had a feeling Chris Jackson and Oak were both out by their Twitter posts and was a bit disappointed when the understudy board confirmed it for me.   No full OBC cast recording live for me.  Andrew Chappelle gave an amazing Mulligan/Madison and although I wanted the stature that Chris gives Washington, I was good with Austin Smith And extremely happy when he finished "One Last Time".  The talent is out there.  There will be actors to bring fresh sounds and appearances to these roles that I believe we will all be happy with.  I'm estatic to finally have paid face value and looking forward to seeing it in 2017 with new faces. I can't wait to finally see Javier as Hamilton.

chi-town_bwayfangirl
#88Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/19/16 at 4:54pm

pupscotch said: "I'm going to throw it out there-I didn't see Daveed. I saw Andrew. He was terrific. I don't know how good Daveed is, but the show was still wonderful. I didn't think I missed anything. They may not plan to replace him with Andrew, which I think would be the best idea, but Lafayette/Jefferson is definitely replaceable.

I saw Daveed and full OBC on a Tuesday night and then went back the next afternoon, without it even crossing my mind that someone would be out, and Daveed was out - Seh Stewart was the back up. I was so disappointed...it definitely wasn't the same without him. Daveed won the Tony because he is so dynamic and totally makes that character. 

MyFavoriteBrunette
#89Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/19/16 at 5:02pm

Seth?  I can't picture him.  When Andrew played Mulligan/Madison he was really great.  I didn't feel like I missed anything.  I would think he gives a great Lafayette/Jefferson.

Updated On: 6/19/16 at 05:02 PM

MyFavoriteBrunette
#90Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/19/16 at 5:02pm

Duplicate Post

Updated On: 6/19/16 at 05:02 PM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#91Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/19/16 at 5:47pm

herewegoabc said: "I saw the show in January when Leslie was on vacation. I've got tickets for October, so obviously I'd LOVE for him to extend through the end of the year, but I'm not really holding my breath.

That said, I was super bummed when it was announced that he would be out that week. Sydney was in, though, and truly, he was amazing. I have never seen Leslie live, so obviously I can't compare the two. Having seen someone else in for Burr, though, I can confirm that it's doable without a hitch.
"

I agree I thought Sydney James Harcourt was amazing! Leslie was out when I first watched Hamilton and Sydney was the understudy at the time. Since I didn't have a chance to look in the playbill, I didn't find out until intermission that Leslie was NOT there. In other words, yeah I was stupid and thought Sydney was Leslie. Either way, I agree with you and thought Sydney was amazing when he played Burr. 

I've seen Leslie perform as Burr and both are great in their own ways. 

Castle2
#92Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/26/16 at 12:17am

Any word yet on who else will or won't be staying on after July 9 (besides Lin, Leslie and Phillipa)?

aaaaaa15
#93Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/26/16 at 12:19am

Nope, except Ariana DeBose from the ensemble who has confirmed she is leaving.

Updated On: 6/26/16 at 12:19 AM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#94Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/26/16 at 7:06am

Castle2 said: "Any word yet on who else will or won't be staying on after July 9 (besides Lin, Leslie and Phillipa)?"

I was thinking the same thing especially after hearing about the Hillary Clinton performance on July 12th. It'll be interesting if people bought a ticket for $2700 specifically to see Hillary and OBC but to go there and find out that 3 of the OBC leads' last performance was on July 9th.

Castle2
#95Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/26/16 at 8:08am

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/magazine-feature/7416344/phillipa-soo-departing-hamilton-shows-future

"Other principal players, including Tony winners Renée Elise Goldsberry and Daveed Diggs, as well as Christopher Jackson, Okieriete Onaodowan, Anthony Ramos and Jasmine Cephas Jones, are expected to renew their contracts while juggling other projects."

Ahmy
#96Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?
Posted: 6/26/16 at 2:53pm

Jon Rua posted on Instagram that his last day is June 29th.