pixeltracker

SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs- Page 4

SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#75SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:15pm

sucks they couldn't at least keep it open through the summer with Rhiannon & Glover.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#76SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:19pm

10086sunset said: "Tend to believe Rudin has to be pissed about the situation."

It's becoming more clear that Audra's absence for Lady Day may have been enough to close the show too. So perhaps he shouldn't have hired her in the first place or he should have done a better job with her replacement. I have nothing against the wonderfully talented Ms Giddens, but her name is not big enough. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#77SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:24pm

Broadway Joe said: "Are there any other set days besides the Wednesday matinee that she doesn't do? I want to purchase tickets and make sure I pick the right date."

Audra McDonald does not perform on Wednesday and Saturday matinees.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

10086sunset
#78SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:28pm

NJ_BroadwayGirl said: "10086sunset said: "Tend to believe Rudin has to be pissed about the situation."

It's becoming more clear that Audra's absence for Lady Day may have been enough to close the show too. So perhaps he shouldn't have hired her in the first place or he should have done a better job with her replacement. I have nothing against the wonderfully talented Ms Giddens, but her name is not big enough. 

"

Believe you hit the nail on the head...

I believe the lack of a big name replacement was the bigger problem...They knew she was going to be gone for three months...They needed someone who could sell tickets...

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#79SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:30pm

Robbie2 said: "Broadway Joe said: "Are there any other set days besides the Wednesday matinee that she doesn't do? I want to purchase tickets and make sure I pick the right date."

Audra McDonald does not perform on Wednesday and Saturday matinees.

"

Thank you! Just grabbed a pair to the July 12th show, got the cheapest seats available 69 bucks plus fees, more then I have spent in a long time but I've been putting off seeing this cause I expected it to be around for awhile. 

woeisme3
#80SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:35pm

This seems like a giant jumping of the gun. Closing because you think your numbers will get bad when your star leaves is strange and I think they coud've easily gotten through the summer- it's a big dance-heavy musical, which should sell tickets by itself without Audra. Can't imagine what they were thinking.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#81SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:45pm

Audra's unborn baby just fired so many people. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#82SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:47pm

^a new Donald trump

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

10086sunset
#83SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:58pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Audra's unborn baby just fired so many people. 

"

This just about covers it...

MyFavoriteBrunette Profile Photo
MyFavoriteBrunette
#84SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:58pm

I am so sad to this see go.  I was more excited to see Brian Stokes Mitchell since I watched him on Trapper John M.D. Sunday nights when I was a kid.  Having Billy Porter,  Audra and Savion's choreography was just a huge plus.  I was delighted at the historical storyline in the show and my husband loved the clothes and hats.    Such a shame it couldn't go on for a year.

Updated On: 6/23/16 at 10:58 PM

jomilo21
#85SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 11:00pm

So I think the biggest problem is not the fact that Audra was leaving, but that she was planning to come back. With the fact that she is coming back, EVERYONE who knows who she is will wait the 6 months to see it leaving NOONE buying tickets in the between time... I'm from out of state and I knew I had to plan my trip for before June or after September (before the pregnant thing changed the timeline). 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#86SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 11:01pm

She's pregnant. She's not gonna pop a kid out, hand it to Will and put on her tap shoes. 

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#87SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 11:10pm

Wow. Was not expecting this at all. I think this was my favorite show of this season. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

alliesinger Profile Photo
alliesinger
#88SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 11:13pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Audra's unborn baby just fired so many people. 

"

That poor child. He's going to be tired of hearing about this by the time he turns six. 

slumdogdelaware Profile Photo
slumdogdelaware
#89SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 11:13pm

What a shame. I was at the show tonight and saw the news on my way home. I couldn't believe it. The show, especially the tap and choreography, was extraordinary. It wasn't the best show I've seen recently, but I would never expect it to close. Glad I got a chance to see it.

aaaaaa15
#90SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 11:14pm

alliesinger said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Audra's unborn baby just fired so many people. 

"

That poor child. He's going to be tired of hearing about this by the time he turns six. 

"

Or she...

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
Jarethan
#92SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 11:20pm

Brave Sir Robin2 said: "There are plenty of names they could have tried to get to replace Audra, and maybe they could tailor some of the keys of songs to give more options. I think someone like Samira Wiley, Kerry Washington (although I believe she is pregnant as well, or was recently?), Shanice Williams (if she could play older) or Janelle Monae could have fit the role and been a big draw. (No doubt Audra's replacement was talented, but I didn't know if she was a Brodway debut or a star replacement.) 

That being said, it's cool to see that Audra has gone from being a Broadway darling to a box office draw. Same could be said for Kelli O'Hara. 

Other than Kerry Washington, I have never heard of any of the people you propose, so I don't think they will solve  the problem.

I am shocked like everyone else...part of me wonders whether it would have been better to close the show for the few months she was out, so people would know she was really coming back, unless she wasn't and it just wasn't announced.  I actually think what I just typed is a dumb idea (unless there is some insurance angle possible) for a number of reasons, but closing a show that recently won the NY Drama Critics Award as best musical of the season, and is currently selling out,  is to me catastrophic; but, if the advance was that bad after she left, it may have been a necessity.  But, what does it say about Broadway?  

Is this a variation on The Producers, that if you have too big a star in the beginning, the show may never recover from their absence.  (14 years ago, who ever thought that Mamma Mia would run twice as long as The Producers?).  At least, The Producers made money for its investors...this will be disaster For the Shuffle Along investors.

There is no other Audra, but couldn't they have figured out something?  Perhaps, a marketing approach that emphasized the reviews, the others stars' credentials, and came up with a better name to replace her than the one they selected -- there must be someone.

Paradox:  I have to admit that I would have waited to see the show in October, had I not already seen it.  Why see someone you never heard of if you could see the star who opened the show.  Yet, if I thought that Audra was not returning, I would have gone ahead and purchased the ticket for a sooner date.  I am sure that a lot of people were thinking the same thing...wait til she gets back.  While this would have not spoken well for a long run engagement, it might have provided the opportunity to return the investment.

final thought: I am wondering whether there is an insurance policy for Audra's inability to perform, and if closing the show provides the opportunity to make a claim on the policy? 

This is is just tragic...it is not like American Psycho, Bright Star, Tuck or anything else.  This looked to be a solid hit...and then the star got pregnant.  Where is Peggy Sawyer?

Updated On: 6/23/16 at 11:20 PM

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#93SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 11:26pm

This show is as much about Audra as "The Boy From Oz" was about Hugh Jackman. Audra is the draw. Rudin got that she couldn't be replaced. He's right at this point.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#94SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 11:28pm

aaaaaa15 said: "alliesinger said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Audra's unborn baby just fired so many people. 

"

"

Or she...
"

Or they...

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

FlySkyHigh
#95SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 11:41pm

The whole situation is just strange. Like others mentioned earlier, pregnant or not, Audra was always expected to miss the summer months to do Lady Day. Granted her maternity leave would have kept her out of the show longer, but Scott Rudin is acting like he didn't see the drop in sales coming. He did nothing to offset the slump and then indirectly blamed the star of the show for its closing. Yes, her pregnancy was unplanned but there is no way Audra and her baby are the sole reason this show is closing before its time.

Hairspray0901
#96SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 11:46pm

Shocking and sad for all involved. So now An American in Paris, Bright star, Fun home, Finding Neverland, Matilda, Les mis, Curious incident and this all have posted closing notices? Plus she loves me which was limited anyway? Ugh. SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs 

Updated On: 6/23/16 at 11:46 PM

StephieElise
#97SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 11:55pm

jomilo21 said: "So I think the biggest problem is not the fact that Audra was leaving, but that she was planning to come back. With the fact that she is coming back, EVERYONE who knows who she is will wait the 6 months to see it leaving NOONE buying tickets in the between time... I'm from out of state and I knew I had to plan my trip for before June or after September (before the pregnant thing changed the timeline). "

That could definitely be the case. I know I planned my trip around her dates. Even though I never planned on going this early I now really regretting not making my trip sooner so I could see Shuffle Along, most of the Hamilton OBC, Fun Home, Christian Borle. Plus it's freezing here and I could really do with that stop in Hawaii on the way home!

sassylash3s
#98SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 11:58pm

Yes, Audra was always going to be out of the show for three months to do Lady Day.  But "Audra McDonald will be returning to the show in September" sells tickets.  "Audra McDonald may be returning to the show at some undefined point in the future" does not.  I assume the producers would have kept the show open through the summer with lower grosses if there was a light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#99SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/24/16 at 12:03am

I'm only hypothesizing here, but I think when Audra's absence was only going to be for a few months Rudin was going to be able to stick it out until she returned, but when the absence became more open-ended coupled with the fact that the drop off in ticket sales was much, much steeper than expected, he had no choice but to close the show. 

I remember looking for tickets during the original Lady Day absence period and the houses were practically empty for all performances; performances leading up to her absence were already selling robustly, even when the show was in previews. The big warning on Telecharge that she would be absent from such and such a date until the fall I'm sure didn't help matters. Of course, they had to warn people to avoid refunds, but you got the sense that the show was doing well enough and there was no reason to doubt that she would return in the fall so why not just wait to purchase a ticket until then. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!