shuffle along cast cd

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#25shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/18/16 at 8:44pm

If ever a show did not warrant an early closure , this was it.Those behind the scenes deserve a giant Bronx cheer for the way they handled this.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 7/18/16 at 08:44 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#26shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/18/16 at 9:29pm

Scott Rudin can't be letting this go without a cast recording. I'm in shock. I hope it tours or gets regional productions popping up soon. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#27shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/18/16 at 9:44pm

Call_me_jorge wrote: Scott Rudin can't be letting this go without a cast recording. I'm in shock. I hope it tours or gets regional productions popping up soon.

This is petty cash to Scott Rudin. You win some, you lose some. Broadway seemed a nice idea at the time... Please, don't be in shock, Jorge.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#28shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/19/16 at 6:40am

The show was, in my opinion, not nearly as great as everyone says.

It's an important piece of history worth telling, but the book was a mess. And while it had tons of speechifying about the struggle, somehow that never came through in the action.

There as a big scene about how putting in the first ever black love song might cause violence and other physical ramifications. Next thing you know they're singing it and we're on to the next scene. Everything is hunky-dory.

That's just one example of many.

The 5 stars and Warren easily made up for that, and it was certainly worth seeing for them, but this was not the slam dunk people seem to think it was.

Still, it's a true shame that this might not be recorded. Even a second tier show, the cast and Blake's music make this worth preserving.

....but the world goes 'round

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#29shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/19/16 at 9:08am

I do not think Rudin is even thinking about this anymore.To him, it is roadkill in the rear view mirror. He is to busy counting his money to even give this a second thought. Thinking about a cast album for this is the farthest thing from his mind.

Poster Emeritus

bryan
#30shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/19/16 at 10:04pm

no why we all need a cast cd of this show. what can we do to get them to make one

bear88
#31shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/23/16 at 7:15pm

The show was, in my opinion, not nearly as great as everyone says.

I never thought there was a lot of disagreement that the show had its flaws, especially in the second act. And of course, a lot of people saw different versions as Wolfe tried to tweak it.

But as you note, the show features some great performances. And one of the things I admired about it is that it really was trying something new, albeit with old songs and a familiar backstage musical storyline, about a chapter of Broadway history I knew nothing about. When deciding on shows to see, I was more interested in seeing Shuffle Along than in another jukebox musical or yet another familiar film with songs added. It's sadly ironic that this show looks to be facing the same fate as the original musical. It will be forgotten, yet another Shuffle Along "revival" (alas, it wasn't one) that didn't work, with not even a cast recording. In this case, it seems to have been done in by a combination of bad luck and poor planning.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#32shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/23/16 at 7:42pm

I'm told that as of today, a cast recording is officially not happening. 

Mr. Musical Profile Photo
Mr. Musical
#33shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/23/16 at 8:04pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I'm told that as of today, a cast recording is officially not happening. 

"

That's a real shame. I wonder why it didn't happen.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#34shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/23/16 at 8:09pm

Just got a text that Audra is out tonight. I have a ticket for the final performance tomorrow. Hope everything is ok with her pregnancy and that she's able to perform tomorrow afternoon. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#35shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/23/16 at 8:22pm

If we had not seen it, we would go tonight without her in it.

Poster Emeritus

bear88
#36shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/23/16 at 8:36pm

If the show hadn't already started, and I wasn't on the West Coast, and I hadn't already seen it, I would definitely go too.

I saw the show in previews with McDonald, and she was wonderful, but it's an ensemble piece. People who skip it because she's not there are making a mistake.

Updated On: 7/23/16 at 08:36 PM

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#37shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/23/16 at 8:48pm

Bear88, I couldn't agree more. This is the best ensemble on Broadway right now. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#38shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/23/16 at 8:51pm

bear88 said: "If the show hadn't already started, and I wasn't on the West Coast, and I hadn't already seen it, I would definitely go too.

I saw the show in previews with McDonald, and she was wonderful, but it's an ensemble piece. People who skip it because she's not there are making a mistake."

I totally agree.It was nice to see her onstage but there was more to this show than just seeing her. It is killing me that I have not been able to see it again before it closes. Going to trh to geg over there to grab some merch tomorrow after the show.

Just give the world Love.

bryan
#39shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/23/16 at 10:03pm

boo to them  they did a cd but it is not the cast cd . they did a cd like after midnight songs form

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#40shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/23/16 at 11:42pm

This show will be the stuff of legend in a few decades.

orlikethecolorpurple
#41shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/23/16 at 11:55pm

If anyone going to the theatre could pick me up a magnet, I'd be so appreciative and would immediately PayPal or Venmo you the cost + shipping. I'm so bummed this show didn't get the life it deserved. 

Mediamaven2
#42shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 12:23am

orlikethecolorpurple said: "If anyone going to the theatre could pick me up a magnet, I'd be so appreciative and would immediately PayPal or Venmo you the cost + shipping. I'm so bummed this show didn't get the life it deserved. 

Magnets are sold out at the theater. Was at the show earlier today and the person in front of me was asking.

"

orlikethecolorpurple
#43shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 12:47am

Oh, thanks for letting me know!

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#44shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 1:15am

I was at the performance tonight and loved the show. I was disappointed that Audra was out, of course - they'd sent an e-mail around 5 PM, but I didn't see it until after the show, so first found out as we were heading into the theater. But really, what difference would it have made? I certainly wasn't going to not go just because Audra was out. And her understudy Darlesia was excellent. There was also a replacement for Brooks Ashmanskas (Leo Ash Evens) but as it was a larger slip in the program ("The roles of Sam, Izzy, etc etc are played by...) I got the impression that Brooks left the show a bit early and Evens stepped in to finish the run. He was very good although I always do enjoy seeing Ashmanskas in anything (just saw him in Something Rotten not too long ago.)

I'm sorry to hear that there will be no cast album - that's very disappointing. I agree with the other posters who've said that this was an interesting and different show and one that should be recorded. It could be done so well, with historical background information included in the CD. It certainly was a part of theatrical history that I knew almost nothing about and I'm glad I at least got to see it before it closed, but I'm sorry more people won't have the chance to experience it.

Maggie-the-schnoodle

hes16
#45shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 9:55am

I have tickets for today and am just wondering if anyone has heard if Audra will be in the show or not. I'm guessing that she might not because of her Twitter posts. Either way I'm excited to see it, but am saddened that this will be my first and last time seeing this production. It really is a shame that there will be no cast album. 

Jordan Catalano
#46shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 2:22pm

Audra is in today. 

brian1973
#47shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 3:49pm

Interesting that the posts about the 8 track sampler have been deleted

Jordan Catalano
#48shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 3:52pm

It's actually not interesting at all, seeing as it wasn't actually supposed to get out to the public.

Mediamaven2
#49shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 3:55pm

It's sad and a bit ironic that this show, about a show that 'disappeared' from history and needed retelling, will not itself be memorialized with a recording...hopefully not destined to be forgotten too