pixeltracker

Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings- Page 2

Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#25Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/13/16 at 11:05am

On the Once on This Island OBC "Forever Yours (Reprise)" - after Papa Ge's solo ends and right before Ti Moune says "I can't!", the ensemble is crescendoing with "ahs", and one male singer sings one extra "ah" after everyone else drops out. Drives me nuts every time.

Also, The Producers "I Want to Be a Producer", the ensemble girl who starts to sing "he" during the whistling solo.

Mike Bevel Profile Photo
Mike Bevel
#26Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/13/16 at 3:39pm

broadwayboy223 said: "The most famous one I can think of is Elaine Stritch at the end of the title song of Company during the long LAAAOOOOOVEEEEEEE. She's insanely flat and then she drops out halfway through."

I am literally OBSESSED with that note/moment/way of life ENTIRELY. That note gives me hope that a no-pants grouchy life on Broadway may still be in the cards for ol' Mike Bevel.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#27Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/13/16 at 3:48pm

broadwayboy223 said: "The most famous one I can think of is Elaine Stritch at the end of the title song of Company during the long LAAAOOOOOVEEEEEEE. She's insanely flat and then she drops out halfway through.

"

My FAVORITE one!!!

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#28Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/17/16 at 6:49pm

BE the Stritch!

"Life is a lesson in humility"

sydney16
#29Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/17/16 at 8:17pm

Not really a mistake, but:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/status/649224746207420416?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Updated On: 8/17/16 at 08:17 PM

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#30Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/17/16 at 10:05pm

My favorite is on the Lil Abner recording! On "Put 'Em Back The Way They Was," the ladies all stop repeating the chorus before the dance break, except for one woman, who belts out a solid "PUT" before realizing it was the dance break.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Dr. Kitchell
#31Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/18/16 at 9:11am

Just recently listened to the original "The King and I" recording. It is fascinating how many small lyric "changes" Miss Lawrence makes. 

Updated On: 8/18/16 at 09:11 AM

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#32Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/18/16 at 10:00pm

Not really a lyrical mistake, but does anyone know why "Somebody, Somewhere" is much lower on the Most Happy Fella OBCR than in the score? Was the actress sick during the recording?

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

The Other One
#33Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/18/16 at 11:32pm

Angela Lansbury coming in too early, and then stopping herself, for the last line of "I've Got You To Lean On" in Anyone Can Whistle.

Updated On: 8/20/16 at 11:32 PM

Pidagaul
#34Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/20/16 at 2:52am

One of my favorite mistakes is on the 1996(?) How to Succeed... revival with Matthew Broderick in the Finale on the very last note, the 1 soprano hitting that high C stops to take a breath and then comes back in....brilliant!

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#35Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/20/16 at 12:13pm

I think in "The Revolutionary Costume for today" on Grey Gardens, Christine Ebersole sings "Those Dixon/Agnew voters" instead of "Nixon/Agnew"

thedrybandit
#36Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/20/16 at 1:20pm

ukpuppetboy said: "Is it just me or does that ensemble member's line in "Made of Stone" end horribly flat on the recent Hunchback studio recording? Ruins all of Michael Arden's good work for me so I find myself listening to Drew Sarich in German instead. And still being amazed by how he finishes that song in an octave higher than his bell tower."

Which line? There's a lot of ensemble work in that song, and I can't hear anything that sounds flat.

Roland von Berlin
#37Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/16 at 3:35am

Very much like Lansbury's Anyone Can Whistle mistake: one of the chorus men in the OBC of Make a Wish comes in during "Over and Over" with the wrong lyrics. After about three words, he realizes his mistake and lays out, but they didn't retake the cut.

It's very noticeable.

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#38Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/16 at 7:31am

"Hello Dolly" OCBR
Put on Your Sunday Clothes.
Carol Channing comes in early, then stops herself.
"Er... Ermengarde stop sniveling."

"House of Flowers" OCBR
One Man (Ain't Quite Enough)
Pearl Bailey near the end of the song:
"Supposed to have an ad lib filled in here for the record date, but it's been so terribly busy at the theater we haven't had time."

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#39Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/16 at 10:43am

Not a mistake but one of my favorite vocal cover ups. Harold Arlen singing a high note for Diahann Carroll who had laryngitis during the recording of HOUSE OF FLOWERS. It's at the end of "I Never Have Seen Snow" (the lyric "like" in "Like my love is to me") and is very noticeable.

Updated On: 8/21/16 at 10:43 AM

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#40Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/16 at 11:35am

And of course, there's the toilet flush audible during "Maybe my Baby Loves Me" on the OBC of Grand Hotel. A friend has always (apologies in advance) referred to this as "the ghost of David Carroll" (I said I was sorry!)

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#41Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/16 at 1:12pm

ChairinMain, where exactly is that "toilet flush"? Just listened to the track and couldn't detect it. Thanks in advance.

broadwayboy223
#42Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/16 at 1:51pm

ksilver117 said: "ukpuppetboy said: "Is it just me or does that ensemble member's line in "Made of Stone" end horribly flat on the recent Hunchback studio recording? Ruins all of Michael Arden's good work for me so I find myself listening to Drew Sarich in German instead. And still being amazed by how he finishes that song in an octave higher than his bell tower."

Which line? There's a lot of ensemble work in that song, and I can't hear anything that sounds flat.

"

I believe it's when the soloist sings "You're right Quaismodo were only made of STONNEE" she's pretty flat 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#43Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/16 at 1:51pm

^I didn't hear it either.

ukpuppetboy Profile Photo
ukpuppetboy
#44Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/16 at 1:58pm

Yes BroadwayBoy. That's the one..

broadwayboy223
#45Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/16 at 2:03pm

IMO it's pretty noticeable. That's really the only big thing I've noticed. 

thedrybandit
#46Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/16 at 11:04pm

broadwayboy223 said: "IMO it's pretty noticeable. That's really the only big thing I've noticed. "

Weird, I can't hear it. Guess that's why I'm backstage, and not onstage then.