pixeltracker

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread- Page 2

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#25Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/25/16 at 7:15pm

I'm so glad to see this show back on Broadway, I just wish we had a different leading lady.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#26Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/25/16 at 7:36pm

CindersGolightly said: "Who are we thinking for Betty? "

What's Alison Luff up to these days?

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#27Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/25/16 at 7:58pm

Maybe Mamie Paris can go for the ALW hat trick  

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Kinky Boy Profile Photo
Kinky Boy
#28Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/25/16 at 9:57pm

wow this is so exciting! Don't forget we are also getting Chenoweth and Murphy as well! We just need Idina and Sutton on Broadway too!

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#29Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/25/16 at 11:16pm

Oh my God, Oh my God; I just bit the bullet and we bought tickets. I wonder if you can go to a bank and get a loan for "theater research" or "theater history"? I am sure that this season will be talked about for years.

Besides, how often do you get a 40 piece orchestra nowadays? I read somewhere that it had to be negotiated from the 50 piece down to the 40 piece for the Broadway run.

Some people keep mentioning that the score and songs are so weak and it's not good ALW. I totally disagreeI I learned so much reading the wikipedia.org history of the show and it's incredible.So many big names in productions from London to B'way, Australia, Los Angeles, and touring.

Here's the link if interested:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunset_Boulevard_(musical)

It "officially" opened 3 times in London, weeks apart...LuPone, Buckley and Paige, and they were all nominated for the same role in the same year for the Olivier Award. So I'm hoping to be blown away again, but BB is still my favorite. 

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#30Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/26/16 at 2:01am

Steve C. said: "It "officially" opened 3 times in London, weeks apart...LuPone, Buckley and Paige, and they were all nominated for the same role in the same year for the Olivier Award."

I hate to be 'that guy' but both of those statements are incorrect. The show premiered in London and reopened almost a year later to follow changes made for the US production. None of the actresses were nominated in the same year - LuPone in 1994, Buckley in 1995, and Paige in 1996. 

I'm of the unpopular opinion that Glenn Close has done a fine job with the role (although I'm glad I didn't go through with flying to the UK for this version) and am thrilled by this news! My boyfriend is also a big Sunset fan, so we're definitely purchasing tickets. It is one of my favorite films and Broadway scores, even though the book isn't that great. I long for a full-stage revival, with cuts to the ensemble and Betty roles. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#31Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/26/16 at 5:12am

Is it me or have they barely sold any tickets so far?

Glenn has very little twitter followers too.

Maybe I'm calling it too early, but I will be surprised if this does more than mediocre business. I hope it does well. Someone needs to pay for that orchestra. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 10/26/16 at 05:12 AM

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#32Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/26/16 at 6:01am

No big deal; the wikipedia page looks a little misleading when reading it so thanks. I just hope it's going to be a great evening, especially after $600 just for the tix.

I could see Barrowman or Esparza for Joe, even Jeremy Jordan ??, and Marc Kudisch or Michael Ball for Max; they probably don't need or want another "name" other than Close, but who knows? Who would make a good Betty? At least the orchestra should be the star too.

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

rjm516
#33Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/26/16 at 6:30am

I saw this in London (luckily one of the nights Close was in it). So painful. Couldn't pay me to see it again. Have fun! 

10086sunset
#34Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/26/16 at 6:45am

qolbinau said: "Is it me or have they barely sold any tickets so far?

Maybe I'm calling it too early, but I will be surprised if this does more than mediocre business. I hope it does well. Someone needs to pay for that orchestra. 
"

It certainly was announced with little fanfare...Also not sure if putting the tickets on sale the same time as the announcement was the best move...

binau Profile Photo
binau
#35Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/26/16 at 7:45pm

The fact that no passionate fan has even come to argue against my claim is depressing haha, as is they aren't releasing tickets till Jan as if they thought they had a Hamilton situation on their hands. 

Maybe they just need to ramp up the marketing a bit and it's still early days. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

justherehanging
#36Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/27/16 at 8:31am

Is Row Q too far back for orchestra?

neonlightsxo
#37Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/27/16 at 9:18am

I can't imagine this is going to be the draw they're hoping it is. Glenn was just in A Delicate Balance which did not recoup and struggled with ticket sales. Sure, this is different, but she's not the draw they think she is...

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#38Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/27/16 at 10:15am

???????Are they all children or just adults under 4 feet tall?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#39Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/27/16 at 10:18am

Forgive my ignorance, but why all the rain on Glenn Close? I think she's an awesome actress, and I've been curious about her Norma Desmond for a while.

Is it because of the Patti LuPone debacle? Is everyone Team LuPone?

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#40Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/27/16 at 10:22am

I think there is likely a very different audience for Glenn Close in SUNSET BOULEVARD vs. Glenn Close in A DELICATE BALANCE.  I think they are banking on the 'legendary' status of her past performance in this to drive ticket sales. I do agree that the price point they are asking isn't likely to stick. They will probably have discounts readily available.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#41Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/27/16 at 12:32pm

Forgive my ignorance, but why all the rain on Glenn Close? I think she's an awesome actress, and I've been curious about her Norma Desmond for a while.

Is it because of the Patti LuPone debacle? Is everyone Team LuPone?

I think Close is a wonderful actress, but I don't like her Norma Desmond, especially her singing.  I'm team Buckley.  Betty Buckley's performance as Norma was perfection.  She was a vocal powerhouse and her Norma was, at turns, terrifying, jubilant, fragile and heart-breaking.  I will never forget the chilling final moment of that show.  It was a tour de force performance.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

scampsweep
#42Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/27/16 at 12:52pm

Saw this in London earlier this year. Tbh, I think I was one of the few who was unimpressed, particularly given the price. I'd seen the original many times, but there was very little staging to this. I think I posted at the time that I really couldn't see what all the fuss was about with Glenn Close's performance. She got fantastic reviews, but I just didn't see why? Her singing was very weak and I genuinely didn't see an acting performance that merited such raves. She fluffed quite a few lines too, especially in her final speech to Mr. De Mille at the end. I really wanted to like her, but came away underwhelmed and with a sense of 'Emperor's New Clothes' syndrome. I certainly wouldn't pay Broadway prices for this. Sorry to be negative, but just my honest opinion. 

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#43Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/27/16 at 12:58pm

Imo, the show is garbage, is not made any better by Glenn Close (whose small vocal range doesn't help), and frankly is hardly worth bothering with. 

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#44Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 10/27/16 at 1:05pm

By all accounts, Buckley was definitive as the musical Norma Desmond (different from the film version, naturally).

Not sure why people feel such disdain toward Close. She's one of the greats. And we can't really compare this to A DELICATE BALANCE. Alan Cumming's return to CABARET did much better than MACBETH, after all.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

carnzee
#45Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 11/6/16 at 10:23pm

qolbinau said: "The fact that no passionate fan has even come to argue against my claim is depressing haha, as is they aren't releasing tickets till Jan as if they thought they had a Hamilton situation on their hands. 

Maybe they just need to ramp up the marketing a bit and it's still early days. 

Hi qolbinau: I was wondering if you'd care to speculate who you thought would make a more successful Norma than Close in a 16-week concert?  And by successful, I mean a combination of artistic and commercial viability. I also share your skepticism of this being a financial success. 

Most of the names that are bandied about on here when people talk about who they would like to see as Norma are people like Carolee Carmello or Donna Murphy i.e. great musical theatre actresses who aren't huge names outside of New York. I think they would  be fabulous in the role, but I don't see them being financially viable. I think there would be interest in New York in seeing Patti finally do it, but I doubt she would sell as much as Close, but maybe I'm wrong. 

Of course, someone from left field like Celine Dion or Madonna (ALW once mused that she might be good in a film version) would have absolutely no trouble selling out the Palace, or a younger A-list actress like Cate Blanchett, but realistically I don't see any of them doing it or being as good an actor AND singer as Close. I mean Celine would sing the heck out of it, but has she ever acted?

I dunno, when I play this 'what if' game I keep coming back to Close as the best option for this project. Of course, maybe a limited concert run of Sunset  isn't a good idea at all, but if it is being done, I think the draw of getting a chance to see a legendary Tony winning performance again sounds like the best of the available options. I know I will most certainly be there! I got to see Jennifer Holliday do a local production of  Dream Girls in 2007, twenty-five years later, and it was amazing. On paper  a forty-something Effie White is more of a stretch than a seventy year old Norma.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#46Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 11/6/16 at 10:32pm

I don't know what the status of the project was prior to this production being greenlighted, but Roundabout had at least one reading for a revival with Donna Murphy. It's a shame that production couldn't have come to fruition even without her - commercial viability wouldn't have been as big of a consideration. For my money, that would've been the best option for this property. 

Whateverjsays
#47Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 11/6/16 at 11:21pm

I think they should've announced more of the cast before tickets went on sale, I am planning a trip in April and am between this and Anastasia, I'm just waiting to see who they'll cast as Betty and Joe before I decide. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#48Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 11/6/16 at 11:27pm

^Agreed. Granted, I've already purchased my tickets, but I'm most awaiting casting for this production of almost anything else this spring.

Gotta echo Cinders on another board and say I'm rooting for Sierra Boggess as Betty.

carnzee
#49Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 11/6/16 at 11:27pm

Cupid, I have this fantasy that Donna would do the eighth performance of this each week just like she is doing for Dolly!  Lol. 

Anyhow, many people on this board felt that Roundabout as a not for profit shouldn't be doing this property in a full production as it is to commercial or something.