pixeltracker

HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Set for April 2018 Opening at the Lyric- Page 3

HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Set for April 2018 Opening at the Lyric

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#50HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/4/17 at 11:35am

I thought we might get a on sale date in that e-mail.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#51HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/4/17 at 11:36am

I see that tickets will only be available through the official website.  For those who have seen it before, I'm curious whether its best to see it all in one day or split it up?  I remember looking at the tickets for the London production last year and it seemed to me that you have a choice (assuming ticket availability).

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#52HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/4/17 at 12:28pm

RippedMan - true... the set isn't much. Kinda reminds me of Wicked's set. However, they do need something for the lake so that might take a lot of understage (is there a proper word for this?) space that other theaters might not have. Plus the height for the flying elements.

Canadian - I saw it split up... Thursday night and Friday night. And I'll be seeing it one last time before the cast change all on one date. The plus side of the split days is that you're still able to do things during the day, like go to work or in my case, sightsee. However, you do kinda lose the momentum by having to wait 24 hours rather than the two or three if you see it straight through.

I can give further thoughts on the full day in a couple of weeks.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#53HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/4/17 at 12:33pm

sorano916 said: "RippedMan - true... the set isn't much. Kinda reminds me of Wicked's set. However, they do need something for the lake so that might take a lot of understage (is there a proper word for this?) space that other theaters might not have. Plus the height for the flying elements.

"

Trap space? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Broadway_Boy
#54HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/4/17 at 12:42pm

You MUST see both parts in the same day.  Not because you have to, but you will be stressed out after part one because there is no conclusion and a ton of cliff hangers.  People can't even stand waiting the few hours between the two parts, myself included

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR

Wardrobe Mistress
#55HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/4/17 at 2:08pm

A Canadian in NYC said: "I see that tickets will only be available through the official website.  For those who have seen it before, I'm curious whether its best to see it all in one day or split it up?  I remember looking at the tickets for the London production last year and it seemed to me that you have a choice (assuming ticket availability)."

See it in in one day if you can. You'll be desperate to see part two after the cliffhanger they leave you on in part one!

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#56HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/4/17 at 2:12pm

If you've read the play already, see the show in two days.

if you haven't read the play and want to know what happens next, then see both parts in 1 day.

i saw the west end production last fall in two days (but I have also read the play a few times before seeing it.) 

if you are a Harry potter fan, wear your Hogwarts robes! Roughly 5-10% of the audience wore Hogwarts robes! So much fun to see!

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#57HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/4/17 at 2:35pm

This may be my most anticipated production ever. I love Harry Potter as much as I love Broadway, so seeing the two combined will be breathtaking. I've read the script once and will try very hard not to read it again til seeing it next year. I'll be awaiting each and every announcement and would truly love if the original cast or at least a few of the original cast members joined the production. Can't wait.

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#58HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/4/17 at 3:50pm

Thanks everyone for your comments - I think I'll want to see it all in one day.  Very much looking forward to this!   I'm thinking that the ticket purchasing process is going to be a bit of a gong show.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#59HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/4/17 at 4:35pm

Wick3 said: " if you are a Harry potter fan, wear your Hogwarts robes! Roughly 5-10% of the audience wore Hogwarts robes! So much fun to see!

"

But please remember not to wear your hat because you are blocking the person behind you.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#60HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/4/17 at 5:23pm

A Canadian in NYC said: "Thanks everyone for your comments - I think I'll want to see it all in one day.  Very much looking forward to this!   I'm thinking that the ticket purchasing process is going to be a bit of a gong show."

I kinda appreciate the way that the ticketing is done for the London version.

Your seats are the same for both parts and you can't select your seats, just the area/price point.

And while it sells out quite quickly, if you're willing to pay the premium, they will have tickets held aside a couple of weeks before the day. Not to mention the return ticket process is easier as you're only refunded once your tickets were sold so there a random non-premium ticket available every once in a while.

PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#61HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/4/17 at 10:14pm

sorano916 said: "I kinda appreciate the way that the ticketing is done for the London version.

Your seats are the same for both parts and you can't select your seats, just the area/price point."

You initially select the area/price; you do, however, know your seats before finalizing the transaction, so it's not quite a blind buy.

sorano916 said: "And while it sells out quite quickly, if you're willing to pay the premium, they will have tickets held aside a couple of weeks before the day. "

I started checking for tickets about a month ago. As of last week, I was able to score seats for next week.  

Yes, they are "Premium" (Center front, Dress Circle) -- but I have to laugh at what the UK considers "Premium".  My total cost for both parts came to $240.  Any guesses what Premium tix on Broadway will cost?

P.S. Seeing it all in one day. Based on my experiences with other epics (Nicholas Nickleby, Angels in America, Wolf Hall), day-long performances are the way to go.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#62HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/4/17 at 10:50pm

Just curious if anybody thinks this show will become "Hamilton" like with ticket pricing and media attention.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#63HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/4/17 at 10:51pm

yankeefan7 said: "Just curious if anybody thinks this show will become "Hamilton" like with ticket pricing and media attention.

"O YEA!!!!!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

MadsonMelo
#64HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/4/17 at 11:09pm

The script, to be honest, is the weakest part of the show, especially the last decisions made.

Nevertheless, the production as a whole is, indeed, magical and I believe it will be well received and will gain some Tony noms. If Boyle transfer, he's a threat to win. It's worth a visit.

No doubt it will be THE play of next year, at least in terms of buzz and ticket price lol

djoko84
#65HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/5/17 at 7:18am

This will definitely be at Hamilton levels. Not sure how popular since it's two parts and a play. Musicals are more popular than plays, but families will flock to this.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#66HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:35am

PepperedShepherd said: "sorano916 said: "I kinda appreciate the way that the ticketing is done for the London version.

Your seats are the same for both parts and you can't select your seats, just the area/price point."

You initially select the area/price; you do, however, know your seats before finalizing the transaction, so it's not quite a blind buy.
"

Yes, it's not a blind buy. But I was thinking that in compared to Ticketmaster or Telecharge's websites where consumers can pick up their exact seats via a seating map, Nimax and ATG doesn't do that for Cursed Child. You get seats and if you don't want them, you can empty your basket and do the whole process again, only to end up with the same seats that you was given before. Heh.

Does anyone remember if their ticket websites crashed or had problems when the tickets first went on sale?

And yes, their "premium" seats for London at most is £250/$323 (roughly, currently) for both parts, so about $161.50 a part, which is about regular price here. Hamilton's premium is still at $849 so... Cursed Child "premium" tickets are basically a steal in comparison to the prices here in New York.

I do hope that they keep Broadway prices somewhat reasonable, especially with its fanbase. 

Updated On: 5/5/17 at 08:35 AM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#67HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:40am

"This will definitely be at Hamilton levels. Not sure how popular since it's two parts and a play. Musicals are more popular than plays, but families will flock to this."

It will be interesting to see what happens because it will be a major investment in time for everyone that goes to this show. I think the options in London are two shows in one day or going on two consecutive nights. Even successful Broadway plays normally don't run much longer than a year so I bet this will be one of the longer run plays in some time.

froote
#68HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:49am

yankeefan7 said: "Just curious if anybody thinks this show will become "Hamilton" like with ticket pricing and media attention."

Ticket sales - Yes

Ticket pricing - Unsure (very reasonable in the UK even by their cheaper standards, JK Rowling may want the same for Broadway)

Media attention - No, at least not after opening. The media attention in the UK has been minimal. Nowhere near the attention Hamilton got in the US. It's a show that does well because it is formed from an already known piece, not because it's something new, original and exciting like Hamilton. It will be buzzed about for a play, but do not expect anything close to Hamilton hype. Jamie Parker hasn't become a household name like Lin-Manuel Miranda and the Olivier ratings went down this year rather than up 33% like they did for last years Tonys.

Updated On: 5/5/17 at 08:49 AM

showbizkid2
#69HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:26pm

it is the BEST THING I have ever seen in my history of going the theatre once a week!!!!!

I wonder if the cast will always be British? Good news for UK actors in the Big Apple?!!

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#70HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:36pm

"Media attention - No, at least not after opening. The media attention in the UK has been minimal. Nowhere near the attention Hamilton got in the US. It's a show that does well because it is formed from an already known piece, not because it's something new, original and exciting like Hamilton. It will be buzzed about for a play, but do not expect anything close to Hamilton hype. Jamie Parker hasn't become a household name like Lin-Manuel Miranda and the Olivier ratings went down this year rather than up 33% like they did for last years Tonys."

I understand it is not new and something different like "Hamilton" but thought the "Harry Potter" brand might give it plenty of attention even after the opening. Plus it is different from most plays by being two performances. It will also be the new "In" show in town and the hype of "Hamilton" will probably start to decrease a bit by 2018.

Jarethan
#71HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:36pm

sorano916 said: "TheQuibbler said: "It's not immersive at all, very traditional proscenium staging, with one exception.

I am betting that every single seat will be taken from the orchestra.  If you can't move the mezzanine and balcony closer to the stage, move the stage closer to the mezzanine and balcony.  I could envision a scenario where they essentially extend the stage out, eliminating say 12 - 15 rows in the orchestra.  This would help to address the barn issue that the theatre has been repeatedly criticized for.  I remember sitting in the first row of the mezzanine for Ragtime and feeling like I was in a different state.  That would no longer be the case.    

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
There is one moment of something descending from above, but I wouldn't say that counts as immersive.  

"

A character walks down the aisle, too. 

But no, it's not like the Great Comet. However, while it's a big production with some big elements, it still needs to feel intimate as it's a play not a musical. They're taking out 500 seats. From where - orch, mezz or balcony - who knows yet.

"

Wildcard
#72HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:37pm

Jo has been adamant about keeping ticket prices reasonable. In London, there were instances when they didn't let people in who bought tickets from resellers. Hopefully that will be the case on Broadway as well. 

froote
#73HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:40pm

yankeefan I understand what you're saying but it wont be the same. A big part of Hamilton hype for example is the music. The cast recording, the Grammy performance, the Tony performance, performing at the White House, the Hamilton Mixtape etc etc etc. This play can't do any of that.

I'm not suggesting that it wont get a lot of attention for a play and its ticket sales will be as impressive if not more so than Hamilton's but no there wont be the same media focus, just like the media focus eased after a few months of each Harry Potter book/film being released. People interested in this play are already fans of Harry Potter and/or theatre. Hamilton brought in people who had never seen a musical before or thought they hated rap or didn't care about history. Also this play has a 'keep the secrets' tagline which actively discourages those that have seen it from talking about it in much detail, whereas Hamilton fans never shut up about the characters and plot.

Updated On: 5/5/17 at 12:40 PM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#74HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:48pm

"yankeefan I understand what you're saying but it wont be the same. A big part of Hamilton hype for example is the music. The cast recording, the Grammy performance, the Tony performance, performing at the White House, the Hamilton Mixtape etc etc etc. This play can't do any of that."

Excellent points !! I saw Hamilton for $89 Labor Day weekend in 2015, will not be so lucky for Harry Potter - lol.