pixeltracker

Jennifer Holliday Will Not Perform At tRump's Inauguration- Page 5

Jennifer Holliday Will Not Perform At tRump's Inauguration

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#100Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 12:43pm

icecreambenjamin said: "Look, I loathe Trump just as much as every other stable minded person in the world, but I'm not going to hate on Holliday for this.  I believe that she has been quite vocal in her support for Hillary over the last few horrific months and I'm going to believe, until proven otherwise, that she is performing in support of the American public and not for our joke of a President-elect.

"

She dropped out. 

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#101Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 12:46pm

Her original response with the hostile self-pity and "f"-you attitude is the real Holliday. The well phrased, oh so sensitive follow up is nice back peddling on the part of her PR team.

Again.. I'm done with her.

I'm tired of the decades of belly-aching and arrogant bitterness.

She should perform for Trump.  Her angry personality is in line with him and his supporters.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#102Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 12:55pm

We all know which statement is the real Jennifer Holliday.  

(Hint: It's not the one whose author misspelled Holliday.)

[EDIT: Spelling now corrected on the Wrap website.  PR applications now being accepted.]

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."
Updated On: 1/14/17 at 12:55 PM

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#103Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 1:05pm

F*CK her. At this point, she's just trying to save her own ass. Anyone with two connected brain cells would know better than to have agreed to perform for that orange nightmare in the first place.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#104Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 1:08pm

I'm glad she dropped out, but she should have known better than to agree to this in the first place. 

@z5
#105Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 1:17pm

Disappointed she gave in to all these cowardly bullies. Very sad that an artist is unable to do what she wants because of all you nasty people. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#106Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 1:18pm

@z5 said: "Disappointed she gave in to all these cowardly bullies. Very sad that an artist is unable to do what she wants because of all you nasty people."

Yup. Sigh...

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#107Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 1:18pm

Say 2 nasty bullies and bigots.  

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#108Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 1:42pm

Nobody bullied her. An artist can do whatever they want. And I imagine had it been a different candidate, it could have played very differently. But this man is openly bigoted; there's a reason nobody wants to perform for his inauguration. And do some want to do it but fear the backlash of their audience? Sure. But when you work in entertainment (and I do, too, so I get it), your bread and butter is your audience. Defy and offend them at your own peril.

If I was advising Ms Holliday, I would have said, "This one gig is not worth pissing off many of your fans."

wolfwriter2
#109Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 1:44pm

Mildred Plotka said: "Say 2 nasty bullies and bigots.  

The amount of irony, lack of self-awareness and blatant narcissism, in this thread, by people who supposedly love theater, supposedly support freedom of speech and supposedly support "______rights," is astonishing.

Irrespective of my dislike or like for Trump or anyone else, a bully is a bully and name-calling comments, devoid of substance and designed to shut down an opposing viewpoint, expose themselves for what they are.

Mildred Plotka
#110Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 1:50pm

And perhaps people who aren't about to have their basic civil rights stripped away from them should know their audience and keep their bigoted mouths shut.  Bigotry and Freedom of Speech are 2 different things, in my book, and I'm not going to sit and watch people on here support a President/Vice President with a deep history of discriminating against the majority of this message board.  

Matt Rogers
#111Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 2:15pm

Mildred Plotka said: "Say 2 nasty bullies and bigots.  

"

EXACTLY. 

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#112Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 2:20pm

I second what Mildred Plotka said as I couldn't have said it better myself.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Matt Rogers
#113Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 2:30pm

wolfwriter2 said: "Mildred Plotka said: "Say 2 nasty bullies and bigots.  

The amount of irony, lack of self-awareness and blatant narcissism, in this thread, by people who supposedly love theater, supposedly support freedom of speech and supposedly support "______rights," is astonishing.

Irrespective of my dislike or like for Trump or anyone else, a bully is a bully and name-calling comments, devoid of substance and designed to shut down an opposing viewpoint, expose themselves for what they are.

"

You could have just been describing the orange pig's entire presidential campaign. 

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#114Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 2:56pm

Maybe she never had any intention of performing and just wanted the publicity.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#115Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 2:57pm

^ Matt Rogers, so behaving the same is the solution?

It's sad she felt the need to obey to the bullies, but she probably had a talk with her agent who tried to limit the **** the bullies throw at her online.

By the way, what if Donald Trump visited the Color Purple with Jennifer Holiday on Broadway? And if he did, what if there were some of these bullies in the audience that night too? And what if she did refuse to perform that night? Would the bullies like that and go home too? 

Hypocrites.

Imagine that all professional situations would be led by personal issues and bullying. Oh, we don't like the president so let's incite people to conspire and bully him,  not work around him anymore, people in restaurants to not bring him food anymore, hairdressers to never cut his hair anymore and performers to never appear around him anymore. What is this? Primary school?

Get over yourself. It's a job. Every broadway performer could go home right now if he/she does not want to perform for people with different views. Audiences are full of them.

Imagine what kind of pathetic, touchy, childish, judgmental world it would be if we would all do that. What kind of example do we want to give? Judging Jennifer for this is just as bad as what Trump does.

Updated On: 1/14/17 at 02:57 PM

Mildred Plotka
#116Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 3:12pm

If you think the community Trump/Pence is against urging Holiday to consider what she's saying by performing for them to be bullying you've clearly never been bullied.  

mamaleh
#117Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 3:17pm

I decided to research this.  Looks like the decidedly liberal MSNBC doesn't consider Mr. Trump unfriendly to the LGBTQ community, which seems to be the major bone of contention here.   I have no opinion either way, but I did find this interesting.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/donald-trump-2016s-most-lgbt-friendly-republican

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#118Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 3:19pm

Mildred Plotka, I have read some serious personal insults towards her and people promising to burn her cd's and that she will never work again. I called that bullying, insulting and threatening, for lack of a better word.

Any reaction to the content of the post as well?

Updated On: 1/14/17 at 03:19 PM

Mildred Plotka
#119Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 3:21pm

Trump appointed Pence as VP.  That alone is not supporting the LGBT community.  Look him up, he's a vile, disgusting homophobe who only supports funding for HIV patients as long as they agree to "gay conversion therapy".  

Updated On: 1/14/17 at 03:21 PM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#120Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 3:33pm

"Maybe she never had any intention of performing and just wanted the publicity."

Exactly !! Does anybody believe she was unaware of the reaction she would get from her fans for performing at inauguration?

broadwayboy223
#121Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 3:34pm

I am a liberal democrat (voted for Clinton) and I'm kind of appalled at both sides at this point. Where's the compassion? The empathy? Why do you all assume Jennifer had the worst intentions? I'm glad she's backed out and instead being harsher on her it only reaffirms my belief in the person I thought she was. A good one. I will continue to support her because I believe in her talent and heart. I met her once and she was nothing but nice and genuine. When do we officially call an end to calling each other names? When do we stop lamenting about the situation and start having hope about how to make things better? Instead of getting mad at who's gonna play the clown's inauguration, why don't we focus on making the world a better place even with Captain Evil at helm? I'm just saying. It's kind of ridiculous to give this much attention and hate to ONE WOMAN. We have to stop hating what's happening and start figuring out how to change things and make it better. Those are my two cents. 

Matt Rogers
#122Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 3:38pm

mamaleh said: "I decided to research this.  Looks like the decidedly liberal MSNBC doesn't consider Mr. Trump unfriendly to the LGBTQ community, which seems to be the major bone of contention here.   I have no opinion either way, but I did find this interesting.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/donald-trump-2016s-most-lgbt-friendly-republican

"

Excuse you. Don't be willfully ignorant. Pence is an absolutely raging homophobic piece of garbage and every single member of Cheeto's disgusting cabinet of pigs is a homophobe as well. I'm not posting any links. Look it up yourself. Jennifer performed at gay clubs and on gay cruises for years when she could not get any other job and you Trump fools can't figure out why there is outrage here? Wake up people. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#123Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 3:43pm

Dave28282 said: "It's sad she felt the need to obey to the bullies"

Another problem I have with Trump supporters is their ideas are usually so bad, we ignore their grammar.

Hairspray0901
#124Effie, I'm tired. It's all over.
Posted: 1/14/17 at 3:49pm

yankeefan7 said: ""Maybe she never had any intention of performing and just wanted the publicity."

Exactly !! Does anybody believe she was unaware of the reaction she would get from her fans for performing at inauguration?

"

THIS. all of this. everyone is now talking about her...will she, won't she...will she...won't she. people flipping out over her doing it, then flipping out over her not. all publicity is good publicity.