pixeltracker

Telecharge Service Fees?- Page 2

Telecharge Service Fees?

ArtMan
#25Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 1/28/17 at 7:35pm

So Taryn, when I bought tickets for a concert two days before my Lionel Richie show and was charged the usual $10 -$12 per ticket  and then charged $31 for Lionel, according to your theory Ticketmaster must have hired a hell of alot more people and their operating expenses tripled, so that is why I paid more than their usual fee cost.  My original post was NOT why does Ticketmaster charge fees but why did the usual $12 fee go up to $31 for this concert.  Also can you edit your post? I did not state the first paragraph.  That was Rangersrule.

ArtMan
#26Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 1/28/17 at 7:35pm

double post

Updated On: 1/28/17 at 07:35 PM

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#27Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 1/28/17 at 8:25pm

I never understood why something labor intensive as buying a ticket at a box office attracts no fee, but buying online that has minimal labor fees attracts an exorbitant booking fee?

Also I hardly buy tickets in advance because of the booking fees and wait until I get to New York. Hamilton aside what show do you need to book in advance?

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#28Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 1/28/17 at 9:05pm

they're overcharging on these handling fees. The websites are typically dumpster fires. Slow to load, cluttered, ugly, not user friendly and generally outdated. They also have zero desire to protect their customers from scammers. (I understand that scammers are also customers.)

I had had no idea these fees could be avoided by going to the box office directly. Lesson learned. I'll go that route next time. I'd rather give my money to a company that gives a ****.

ArtMan
#29Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 1/28/17 at 9:18pm

Theatergoer3, avoiding fees by paying at the box office also works for concerts or other events...not just Broadway shows.  If you go to the arena or performing hall and buy your ticket from them directly you will avoid Ticketmaster fees.  They will still charge you a facility fee, but that is usually one or 2 dollars.

ArtMan
#29Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 1/28/17 at 9:18pm

double post

Updated On: 1/28/17 at 09:18 PM

jjcasual
#30Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 1/28/17 at 9:41pm

Were the Lionel Richie tickets more expensive than the other concert? I think the fees are related to the cost of the ticket.

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#31Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 1/28/17 at 10:16pm

ArtMan said: "So Taryn, when I bought tickets for a concert two days before my Lionel Richie show and was charged the usual $10 -$12 per ticket  and then charged $31 for Lionel, according to your theory Ticketmaster must have hired a hell of alot more people and their operating expenses tripled, so that is why I paid more than their usual fee cost.  My original post was NOT why does Ticketmaster charge fees but why did the usual $12 fee go up to $31 for this concert.  Also can you edit your post? I did not state the first paragraph.  That was Rangersrule."

I was responding to the question of why ticket fee prices fluctuate, but the specific idea that buying online has no labor cost and thus should have no fees. I certainly won't argue that ticket fees aren't high -- they definitely are -- or that Ticketmaster and Telecharge are great platforms -- they're not. I am only saying that it is incorrect to say, as some people have on this thread, that there's no labor involved in the infrastructure of buying tickets online. I wasn't replying to your original post.

Are ticket fees too high? Probably. Are Ticketmaster and Telecharge put them as high as they can reasonably get away with? Probably. Do they need to be that high? I dunno, I haven't seen the company's financial reports. Do they need to have ticket fees in general to make the company run? Yes, most assuredly.

I can edit my post, but you might want to edit yours as well -- your quote didn't have Rangersrule's name, or it would've showed up in mine, too.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#32Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 1/28/17 at 11:02pm

shown

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#33Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 1/29/17 at 4:22am

ArtMan said: "My original post was NOT why does Ticketmaster charge fees but why did the usual $12 fee go up to $31 for this concert."

Their fee is based on the ticket cost, not a flat rate.

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#34Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 1/29/17 at 6:01am

Yup, two years ago I think I looked at tickets for the Tonys just for fun - I never intended to pay that much. The tickets were something along the lines of $350 and $600 depending on the seating location, and Ticketmaster added another $60 or $80 dollars in fees to those prices. I don't remember exactly, but it was in that ball park.

I wish more theaters had their own ticketing system. All the non-profits have, and so do Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, City Center etc. and they all have very small online fees compared to what Telecharge and TM charge. Maybe the cost of operating their own ticketing system is somehow reflected in the ticket price, but I'd much rather give my money to the production/the theater company etc. than some crappy website who's overcharging for little to no service.

ArtMan
#35Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 1/29/17 at 10:16am

haterobics said: "ArtMan said: "My original post was NOT why does Ticketmaster charge fees but why did the usual $12 fee go up to $31 for this concert."

"

Haterobics, the price of this ticket was the same as my usual purchases.

MX888 Profile Photo
MX888
#36Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 1/30/17 at 8:51am

GoodyProctor said: "I wanted to purchase a ticket to Anatasia on the Telecharge website yesterday.  Besides the fact that the website crashed when I tried to complete my transaction, I was (going to be) charged $11 for a service fee and $3 for a handling fee. 

I usually go to the box office and I don't recall fees being that steep.  Is this something new?
"

I remember when the service fee was only $8.50 then it increased to $9.50 and now $11 -- really crazy. However, their customer service is top notch and really try to help resolve issues (exchanging dates etc) but Ticketmaster's cs is horrible! Since I live and work it Queens, travel costs negate the savings by purchasing at the BO.

I recently purchased a ticket to "How to transcend a happy marriage" during the LCT membership presale and the telecharge fee was around $4.50… that lead me to believe it was associated with ticket cost but now, I'm not sure.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#37Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 1/30/17 at 9:38am

ArtMan said: "haterobics said: "ArtMan said: "My original post was NOT why does Ticketmaster charge fees but why did the usual $12 fee go up to $31 for this concert."

"

Haterobics, the price of this ticket was the same as my usual purchases.

"

I have noticed higher fees when I look for more expensive seats. However,  I also notice they vary by event or maybe venue.  Like I bought tickets to a show Cyndi Lauper was involved in this past December.  I ended up going with worse seats than I wanted because the fees brought the ticket up over $100. I forget what I was charged for Ingrid Michaelson.  But, the tickets before fees were only $50 and my seats were 7th row orchestra.  Both of these shows occurred at the Beacon theater. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#38Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 1/30/17 at 10:09am

ArtMan said: "Theatergoer3, avoiding fees by paying at the box office also works for concerts or other events...not just Broadway shows.  If you go to the arena or performing hall and buy your ticket from them directly you will avoid Ticketmaster fees.  They will still charge you a facility fee, but that is usually one or 2 dollars."

Thank you so much for this info. I had no idea. 

Esther
#39Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 1/30/17 at 1:43pm

MX888 said: "GoodyProctor said: "
I recently purchased a ticket to "How to transcend a happy marriage" during the LCT membership presale and the telecharge fee was around $4.50… that lead me to believe it was associated with ticket cost but now, I'm not sure.

"

I'm almost certain that 4.50 rate is a special pre-negotiated rate for LCT member tickets at all LCT member price points. 

Hank
#40Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 1/30/17 at 3:59pm

I also thought service charges were much too high, but go along for convenience, certainty, see what's available and get to pick seats.  Ticketmaster is much bigger and and somewhat higher.  For a $34 ticket to a college basketball game the total came to $49 each.

neonlightsxo
#41Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 1/30/17 at 4:29pm

Esther said: "MX888 said: "GoodyProctor said: "
"
I'm almost certain that 4.50 rate is a special pre-negotiated rate for LCT member tickets at all LCT member price points. 
"

Yeah, I think so too.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#42Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 2/21/17 at 11:05am

haterobics said: "I've never sorted out why, when I act as my own box office manager, select my own seats, process my own payment, and use my own computer, printer, and ink to create my own ticket, *I* have to pay more money... but if I go to the box office, and make someone who is already on salary do that, and use all of their resources, then it is free? Doesn't that seem backwards?"

I can't help but think of how many banks now charge a fee for services if the customer comes into a lobby and interacts with a teller, but the same service is free if the customer does it online.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#43Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 10/24/17 at 9:46pm

Sorry to bring up an older post. If you call to purchase a ticket from Telecharge, will they still charge you the $11 fee? I am looking to buy Carousel tickets, but  want to see if I can lighten the load a bit. Unfortunately, I am in Chicago, so I can't buy the tickets at the box office.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#44Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 10/24/17 at 11:34pm

There's usually more to a service charge than covering the cost of processing a purchase.  Most promoters or producers get a per ticket rebate (kickback) from ticketing companies.  Many times another rebate is added on top of that for the artist.  Also, the bank fees for the processing of the credit card transaction is passed on to the consumer (when you buy something from Target for example, Target is paying the bank fee).

So a service charge can be composed of many parts:

1) fee for processing the ticket purchase

plus

2) kickback to promoter/producer

plus

3) kickback to the artist

plus

4) credit card processing fee

The Bigger the Promoter, the Bigger the Ticketmaster Kickback…

UncleCharlie
#45Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 3:30am

TheSassySam said: "Sorry to bring up an older post. If you call to purchase a ticket from Telecharge, will they still charge you the $11 fee? I am looking to buy Carousel tickets, but want to see if I can lighten the load a bit. Unfortunately, I am in Chicago, so I can't buy the tickets at the box office."

Yes. A service charge applies to any order not purchased directly at the theater. If anything, it costs more for them to handle your order over the phone than it does on line since a real person is spending time helping you.

Gizmo6
#46Telecharge Service Fees?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 6:16am

I think my service fees on Hello Dolly and M.Buttefly are around $20 each

The one that made me laugh was Torch Song $7 including a $5 "convenience fee". Some convenience been charged. 

Videos