pixeltracker

SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)- Page 11

SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#250Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/11/17 at 7:07pm

The final performance seems to be completely sold out!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

carayip
#251Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/12/17 at 8:20pm

https://instagram.com/p/BRjjoi3hwjW/

Nice to see Mandy is there!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#252Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/12/17 at 8:29pm

I was there today. Didn't see Mandy but George Stephanopoulos was there.

The production has gotten even stronger. Everyone is more comfortable in their roles, especially Jake, who is now completely at ease in "Putting it Together." 

Today, I noticed how much the relationship between George and his Mother has grown. It's especially touching how Jake holds her hand in "Beautiful."

The chromolume is still a wonder. It's truly a great production and I hope we will get a cast recording. A live  stream or movie showing would be the icing on the cake. 

Updated On: 3/12/17 at 08:29 PM

Whateverjsays
#253Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/12/17 at 9:05pm

I was thinking today.... do you think they're waiting to recoup before they decide to record? Don't the recordings usually cost around $30,000 to produce? 

Jesus_Freak Profile Photo
Jesus_Freak
#254Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/12/17 at 9:37pm

I truly loved this  - it was my first time seeing a live production of this legendary show. I was moved to tears [yes, I am a softie - - - guilty as charged!]

Gyllenhaal is a big enough draw to justify a video and/or audio recording of this production.

I'm hoping we get either/or.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#255Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:13pm

ljay889 said: "...
Today, I noticed how much the relationship between George and his Mother has grown. It's especially touching how Jake holds her hand in "Beautiful."

"

That was one of my favorite/most moving moments to me as well

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#256Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:58pm

I LOVED this show. Oh my god, you guys..l I LOVED it. It was glorious. The costumes were gorgeous. The re-creation of the painting is stunningly beautiful. I was so moved at the end of act one-I just lost it.  It was perfection. Then the chromuline (I don't know how to spell it) was mesmerizing. The whole show was visually dazzling. The train ride home I kept mumbling.., it's so beautiful--people must have thought I was on drugs.  I also loved the George and his mom relationship.  It was so sweet.  And Jake can sing! And in case you didn't know... he's so handsome! It was so moving.  I absolutely adored it.  

Updated On: 3/12/17 at 10:58 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#257Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/12/17 at 11:14pm

ljay889 said: "Today, I noticed how much the relationship between George and his Mother has grown. It's especially touching how Jake holds her hand in "Beautiful.""

I finally made it to the show earlier this past week and was also deeply moved by Penny Fuller in the role. I was outspoken in my frustration about Phylicia Rashad not transferring from City Center, but Fuller totally nailed it for me. "Beautiful" was stunning.

I drew a bit of ire when I was one within the minority that was unimpressed by the City Center concert back in October. I'm pleased to report that I thought this much more full production was 10,000 times more successful. Ashford and Gyllenhaal have grown tremendously in their roles, and their performances are rich, nuanced, and meaningful. This ensemble is truly fabulous: special shoutouts to Ashley Park, Jenni Barber, Erin Davie, and Liz McCartney, who really stood out in their roles.

My sole complaint is that I still found myself craving something more from Sarna Lapine's direction. I don't know how to put it properly to words, but I left the show wanting some newer, bolder statement. However, when I'm usually frustrated with directors, it ruins the whole show for me—this isn't the case here, though. The text itself is obviously one of the strongest in musical theatre history, and the performances in this revival are just glorious. The design (that chromolume!!) is just stunning.

Glad to say I highly recommend the show if you're still able to get tickets.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#258Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/13/17 at 12:36am

BroadwayConcierge said: "
I finally made it to the show earlier this past week and was also deeply moved by Penny Fuller in the role. I was outspoken in my frustration about Phylicia Rashad not transferring from City Center, but Fuller totally nailed it for me. "Beautiful" was stunning.

- I had no idea about this... Fuller was fantastic... but was it ever explained why Rashaad didn't come to Broadway?  

BroadwayConcierge
#259Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/13/17 at 12:46am

No particular or announced reason, chernjam; in fact, most of the cast from City Center didn't join the Broadway company! I was just frustrated since Rashad was a stunning highlight at City Center (she's stunning in everything she does, though!). 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#260Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/13/17 at 11:48am

chernjam said: "...Even smaller characters were memorable - for example Penny Fuller as the Old Lady/Blair was incredibly moving in her portrayals...

I loved her. Another standout for me was Ashley Park (if I'm correct that she plays one of the Celestes), whose clear-as-a-bell soprano rode above and carried the entire chorus in "Sunday".

chernjam said: "...front row was a little too close (I figured as much since three or four rows back the tickets were $150 more than what I paid) - but I really didn’t mind.  The actors were literally maybe 2 feet away from me - and getting to see them that upclose and actually seeing the tears running down their faces was an experience I will never forget (or regret)

I was in the second row, almost dead center, and while it was great to see the performers' faces so clearly, I found it frustrating to be so close to the stage for this production. The stage being very high already, I don't understand why they felt it necessary to mount a second, floating platform above it that raised the actual performance surface another foot or so higher. 

However, the stage height was only a minor nuisance compared to how this position impacts one's view of the chromolume. Virtually the entire effect takes place behind the people sitting in the first few rows. Personally, I feel that my seat should've been designated as an "obstructed view".

chernjam said: "Musically, Sondheim has never been a favorite of mine...In a sense it’s more of a play with music...  I don’t mean that to sound overly critical or dismissive (I hate when people do that to other composers)  It’s very effective live on stage. But it’s hard for me to imagine listening to the soundtrack repeated times."

I've offered a similar description to friends who've asked me about this show - it often felt to me like a play with incidental music, in the way that non-musical films typically have a background score. As you said, it works in the show, but I also cannot imagine listening to the entire score repeatedly (however, I do hope that a cast recording is made for this production, if only for the two instances of "Sunday", as I don't care for Mandy Patinkin's version). In truth, there were only a handful of moments when I felt that the inclusion of an actual song furthered the impact of the story, most notably the song "Sunday" at the end of both acts. I particularly liked the way the voices of the chorus built in layers as George positioned the various characters in the painting, and how the characters bowed to him near the start of the finale. 

chernjam said: "That being said, I will never regret this Saturday afternoon spent on Sunday"

I'm very glad that I was able to see this show; I only wish that I had another opportunity to experience it more completely, e.g., from the front mezzanine.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#261Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/13/17 at 1:25pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Annaleigh-Ashford-Andy-Kelso-and-Mara-Davi-to-Headline-UNITED-IN-LOVE-Concert-in-Denver-20170313

I guess they won't extend afterall *cries*

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#262Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/24/17 at 3:30pm

A little bit of hope for a cast recording! Around 10:33, Ashley's asked about if there's going to be a cast recording and she smiles a little and says not officially. This could mean absolutely nothing, but hopefully it does.

https://youtu.be/LQvTesHIwgw 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#263Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/24/17 at 4:38pm

I sure hope it means something! I wlll be devastated if we don't get a recording with this cast and the original stunning orchestrations. I would also be pretty shocked, given Jake's presence.

BroadwayConcierge
#264Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/24/17 at 4:43pm

I need the Gyllenhaal/Ashford "Move On" preserved forever. Please, theatre gods.

PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#265Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/25/17 at 2:49am

Re: Fuller vs. Rashad

I thought Penny Fuller was excellent. But, still, Phylicia Rashad was on another level -- doing something with the role that I still can't explain. She seemed to infuse every single line of dialogue with layers of shade & meaning.

So, if you're only seeing Fuller, you can trust you are in good hands. If, however, you previously saw Rashad, you might find a little lacking.

Regardless, GO!

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#266Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/25/17 at 11:34am

PepperedShepherd said: "Re: Fuller vs. Rashad

I thought Penny Fuller was excellent. But, still, Phylicia Rashad was on another level -- doing something with the role that I still can't explain. She seemed to infuse every single line of dialogue with layers of shade & meaning.

So, if you're only seeing Fuller, you can trust you are in good hands. If, however, you previously saw Rashad, you might find a little lacking.

Regardless, GO!

"

Having only seen this current revival about a month ago at this point - all I can say is that Penny Fuller's performance has stayed with me ever since.  (Well, in fairness, everyone's has - it is that good... I only wish I had a few hundred dollars extra hanging around to go see it again)  Perhaps having lost my father and having a mom who's getting older, I connected a bit more - and was touched seeing Jake and her relationship develop on stage.  The fact that I sat in the front row and was able to make eye contact with penny at a few central moments that left me in tears probably has something to do with it as well.  

In any event - Peppered- I completely agree - people should definitely GO... and hope that somehow this production is preserved.  Clips of the original pale in comparison to what's happening on stage now

dev101
#267Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/27/17 at 3:03pm

anyone heard any updates about a potential cast recording?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#268Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/27/17 at 3:28pm

This is my favorite show, but by no means my favorite cast. Jake - who I've loved since Donnie Darko - just seemed to fade away. He didn't feel at home in the part and often times I felt like he didn't know what to do with his body. Ashford was great, but she's not a dramatic actress. I loved Jenna Russel in the recent revival fighting back tears singing "We Do Not Belong Together." Or how you could hear the longing in "There are Louies and George." 

The direction was pretty terrible. There's a way to do minimalist, but having people walk around themselves is not the way to do it. It felt amateur. 

That said. The Hudson is gorgeous. Love they put the neon signs in the lobby. And once again ATG is killing the game with house management. 

Whateverjsays
#269Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:41pm

Over the weekend Claybourne posted a video of him at the Atlantic Records meeting room on his Instagram story, hopefully it means they'll record the album! 

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#270Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/30/17 at 3:43pm

Two facts about my experience with this production's end of the 1st act...

I saw neither Phylicia Rashad nor Penny Fuller...Liz McCartney (I believe that's her name) was on for Fuller when we went. I thought her "Beautiful" was just that, and she did a great job as Blair in Act 2.

Even in smaller roles, Philip Boykin and Ashley Park were a treat! I was also incredibly moved, for some odd reason, by Louis's appearance in the tableau. Holding this child, that he knows is not his, while her biological father can focus only on painting that image...ridiculously poignant.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#271Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 3/30/17 at 4:14pm

There has to be a recording of this production! And better yet, a video, perhaps for Broadway HD? It would be a shame if this isn't preserved for all of us and for future audiences. Yes, the original was glorious, and the last revival broke my heart (I cried so much at the final performance, we sat right across from Sondheim, we were all sobbing). But please keep posting about this!

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#272Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 4/2/17 at 10:00pm

Hey everybody!  Can anyone tell me how the far right rear balcony is (specifically row F)?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#273Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 4/2/17 at 10:27pm

That's where I sat - it was perfect. Can't beat it for the price. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#274Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 4/2/17 at 10:31pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "That's where I sat - it was perfect. Can't beat it for the price. 

"

Thank you very much!