CAROUSEL Revival?

mikey2573
#25CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 2/23/17 at 2:15am

I was not overly impressed with O'Brien's SOUND OF MUSIC tour and thought it paled particularly when compared to that show's last Broadway revival and its subsequent tour.  If he were to direct a CAROUSEL revival he'd better make sure it is at least on the same level as (if not better than) the Hytner production, which was simply ravishing in every possible way.   I agree with others who have suggested they just bring back the Hytner production for a revival; it is hard to imagine how that one could ever be equaled never mind topped. 

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#26CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 2/23/17 at 2:27am

Mueller as Julie? Her Carrie was revolutionary, but her Julie....I'm in. Although I do feel like she's letting herself be typecast.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

neonlightsxo
#27CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 2/23/17 at 9:44am

"Soo, Pasquale, Mueller & Henry would be a perfect quartet."

Josh Henry as Mr. Snow? What a waste of his talent that would be.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#28CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 2/23/17 at 9:55am

I'd happily take Joshua Henry as Billy. Or the aforementioned James Snyder, who was astonishing at Goodspeed. Pasquale has a gorgeous voice, but as a complete package, I've long felt there's no there there.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#29CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 2/23/17 at 10:05am

neonlightsxo said: ""Soo, Pasquale, Mueller & Henry would be a perfect quartet."

Josh Henry as Mr. Snow? What a waste of his talent that would be.
"

I personally believe with the right actors, Enoch can be quite fun.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

teh_pretty Profile Photo
teh_pretty
#30CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 2/23/17 at 11:50am

CindersGolightly said: "Mueller as Julie? Her Carrie was revolutionary, but her Julie....I'm in. Although I do feel like she's letting herself be typecast.

"

Really?  Mueller has proven herself to be incredibly versatile - Clear Day, Beautiful, Drood, Waitress, Carousel ...  I'd hardly label her of all actors as being typecast.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#31CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 2/23/17 at 2:33pm

teh_pretty said: "Really?  Mueller has proven herself to be incredibly versatile - Clear Day, Beautiful, Drood, Waitress, Carousel ...  I'd hardly label her of all actors as being typecast."

I agree, I don't see typecasting. And vocally she's shown herself to be a chameleon. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#32CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 2/24/17 at 11:04am

Dear God I hope this really happens. What about Samantha Massell?? I could see her as more of a Carrie but I'd love to see her as Julie.

smidge
#33CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 2/24/17 at 10:57pm

Well, if they want Steven Pasquale, he's available:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/02/24/doubt-canceled-cbs/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#34CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 2/25/17 at 12:19am

If this is her next show, it'll be her third in a row as a neglected and/or abused wife. I heavily enjoy her, she's one of my favorites, and loved her in every show she's done, but if that's not playing to a certain type, I don't know what is. Not that it's wrong. Plus, the scores of each show are so vastly different, so it's not like it's boring. I was just pointing it out.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#35CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/10/17 at 1:40am

Is this still happening?

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#36CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/10/17 at 1:48am

I am a bit skeptical how anyone other than Lincoln Center could do this.  The show requires quite a large orchestra, cast, and set.  Production cost would be extremely high.  I'm all for Jessie Mueller and Joshua Henry leading, however.  They're both spectacular and Jessie Mueller has a surprisingly fantastic soprano in her.

LaneBryant
#37CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/10/17 at 4:09am

Yup. Joshua Henry is leaving "Ham" after LA. Fingers crossed that he'll finally get the Tony he's been working for. 

Theatrefanboy1
#38CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/10/17 at 9:37am

See, I really want Aaron Tveit back on Broadway and that was one of his dream shows to be in. So I'm holding out for that. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#39CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/10/17 at 10:28am

And he's worked with Jack O'Brien twice before on Hairspray and Catch Me If You Can.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#40CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/10/17 at 11:40am

Is jack O'Brien rumored for director? Please, after hearing what he did with SofM and Charlie get him away from this. I know many weren't too fond of the lyric opera production, but that production and rob ashford would work better than a jack o'brien version 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 4/10/17 at 11:40 AM

dianamorales
#41CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/10/17 at 11:41am

I'd love to see Jeremy Jordan do a classic show like this. And he'd kill the soliloquy.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#42CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/10/17 at 11:44am

They should just have Jeremy and Joshua alternate in the role

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#43CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/10/17 at 11:49am

Am I the only one who thinks Jordan and Tveit are wrong for the role?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

dianamorales
#44CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/10/17 at 12:09pm

I don't know if tveit is the right type, but he could sing it.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#45CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/10/17 at 12:23pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Is Jack O'Brien rumored for director? Please, after hearing what he did with The Sound of Music and Charlie get him away from this. I know many weren't too fond of the lyric opera production, but that production and Rob Ashford would work better than a Jack O'Brien version"

I actually liked his touring production of The Sound of Music...
https://www.broadwayworld.com/raleigh/article/BWW-Review-THE-SOUND-OF-MUSIC-National-Tour-at-Durham-Performing-Arts-Center-20151202

But yeah, his track record on Broadway has been pretty inconsistent as of late.

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#46CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/10/17 at 12:30pm

Just get Bart Sher to do it. 

pnewelljr
#47CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/10/17 at 12:37pm

Butter Broadway said: "Just get Bart Sher to do it."

He's already booked for My Fair Lady

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#48CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/10/17 at 12:42pm

Can't comment on Charlie, but his Sound Of Music was actually pretty fantastic. I think he removed the deeply confusing aspects of the show, and cleaned it up quite a bit. It was a touring production, so was on a lighter side wrt sets etc, but the talent on stage and pace of the show was undeniable.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#49CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/10/17 at 12:50pm

little_sally said: "Am I the only one who thinks Jordan and Tveit are wrong for the role?"

Not at all. I have no interest in seeing either of them take this on.