pixeltracker

A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater- Page 2

A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#25A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 4/11/17 at 5:10am

Has anyone ever sat on the far side aisles?  The day I am available to go all that is currently available is B 18 and 20 on one side or B 17 and 19 on the other.  In pictures of the theater it looks like there is a pole on each side of the stage about 6 feet in front of these seats ..... Any opinion about these particular seats?  Thanks !

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#26A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 4/11/17 at 12:02pm

I honestly don't remember there ever being a bad seat in this theater? I've sat all over it, and every seat is pretty great.

LarryD2
#27A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 4/11/17 at 12:06pm

There are lots of bad seats at the Anspacher. Usually the seats directly in front of columns are labeled obstructed view. But depending on the production and how it's been directed, if you're sitting in the side sections, you'll be looking at actor profiles and backs all night, or have areas of the stage blocked by set pieces. Still, there's really no way to know in advance, and for a production like this that is bound to sell out, I guess you take what you can get.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#28A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 4/11/17 at 12:24pm

Yeah, there are definitely bad seats at the Anspacher... as a rule, I would stay away from anything on the extreme sides.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#29A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 4/11/17 at 12:37pm

So sorry! Disregard. I thought this was at the Newman. 

Suprised they picked such a small theater for this show. No wonder tickets are scarce. 

It is one of my favorite spaces though. Love the thrust stage. I tend to sit on house left, and never had a problem. But it is a thrust, so even if you're on the far aisle, I'm sure you'll have a decent view. There's not much design/staging wise they can do with the back wall of the space as it is tiny. The two shows I've seen played there, most everything took place in front of the proscenium. 

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#30A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 4/11/17 at 1:33pm

Thanks guys - helpful info!

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#31A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 4/11/17 at 1:45pm

I would strongly advise against any of the seats behind the poles in the Anspacher, I've sat there before and they are genuinely very bad (and I'm not normally a princess about seats but it really was awful). 

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#32A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Willki Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 4/11/17 at 1:46pm

Just in case Sam Gold is on this board - ha ha - has anyone heard anything about the run time yet?  I am guessing about 3 hours?

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#33A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Willki Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 4/11/17 at 2:17pm

I've heard rumors, again just RUMORS, that this is going to be closer to 4....

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#34A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Willki Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 4/11/17 at 3:10pm

Wow .... Even as just a rumor that is helpful, thanks 

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#35A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Willki Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 4/12/17 at 10:17am

Tickets are on sale now for all. The first two weeks are mostly sold out and July availability is spotty, but lots of availability in August and September. $45 partial view seats for those looking for a bargain--but as some of us already said, be warned. Partial view at the Anspacher is VERY obstructed.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#36A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 4/12/17 at 11:51am

^ Well, they were for about two hours, but now they're not. I thought they were supposed to go on sale to the public next Tuesday. Maybe somebody at the Public screwed up?

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#37A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 4/12/17 at 12:01pm

I had April 12 written down as the on-sale date. I don't think it changed. Yeah, it looks like most of the tickets have been snapped up. I'm finding some full price availability on certain dates left, but not much.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#38A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 4/12/17 at 12:08pm

Okay. I can no longer click into the seat map either on the mobile or desktop site on days showing availability, so I thought maybe there was some tech issue at hand. But thank you so much for the heads-up, AC! I got a pair for July!

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

goanna40
#39A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 4/12/17 at 8:45pm

Oh noooo, I also had the date for public sale as the 18th. But  tickets are still accessible for some shows that are showing no availability if you use the American Express code (which is on the site so this is all very odd).

I'm only in NYC for the last week of previews, and could only manage a partial view seat. Might try my luck for a better ticket closer to the date.

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#40A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 6/20/17 at 12:12pm

Well this certainly snuck up quickly! Anyone win the lottery for tonight?

abbagirl Profile Photo
abbagirl
#41A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 6/20/17 at 2:08pm

I did, to my shock (the in-person lotto down at the Public)!! Cannot wait! :)

yaoqian
#42A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 6/20/17 at 10:40pm

abbagirl said: "I did, to my shock (the in-person lotto down at the Public)!! Cannot wait! :)

"

Hi! I'm kind of new to the public theater, so how does the in person lottery work? Where can I find more info about it? I looked around and can't seem to find how it specifically works, when it starts, ietc. Right now are there any other ways to get tickets rather than the TodayTix lottery and the in person lottery? Thank you so much!!

abbagirl Profile Photo
abbagirl
#43A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 6/21/17 at 12:20am

The in-person lotto was only today, for their Free First Preview program, sorry!

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#45A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 6/21/17 at 9:28am

3-4 hours? Where are people getting that from? Wasn't the whole reason that this didn't happen at TFANA was that Gold wanted to do a heavily cut 90 minute version?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#46A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 6/21/17 at 9:28am

The Public's website lists the running time as 3.5 hours with two intermissions. 

The Other One
#47A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 6/21/17 at 10:09am

TalkinLoud said: "3-4 hours? Where are people getting that from? Wasn't the whole reason that this didn't happen at TFANA was that Gold wanted to do a heavily cut 90 minute version?"

That was indeed TFANA's given reason.  Maybe Gold has since changed his mind?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#48A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 6/21/17 at 10:11am

TFANA's rationale for rejecting the adaptation of the play never specifically mention length. Keep in mind that a completely uncut HAMLET would run around 6-7 hours. An adaptation of HAMLET can easily be "aggressively cut" (to use the language TFANA used) and still be quite lengthy.

Updated On: 6/21/17 at 10:11 AM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#49A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 6/21/17 at 10:13am

For what it's worth, I saw a 90 minute version at the Globe in 2012. Only production of HAMLET I've truly loved.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#50A ‘Hamlet’ With Oscar Isaac, Once Canceled, Will Run at the Public Theater
Posted: 6/21/17 at 10:25am

AC126748 said: "Keep in mind that a completely uncut HAMLET would run around 6-7 hours. An adaptation of HAMLET can easily be "aggressively cut" (to use the language TFANA used) and still be quite lengthy."

From a technical standpoint, that's true, but nobody does the full version these days except for a gimmick, so TFANA would have to be out of their minds to call a 3.5 hour Hamlet "aggressively cut" when that's about a half hour longer than your average contemporary production of Hamlet. It may be aggressively cut compared to the full text, but not by general modern reckoning. That is, unless Gold has replaced large chunks of text with silent scenes, dance/movement sequences, dramatic pauses, songs, etc.