pixeltracker

"Hello, Dolly" 2017 Cast Recording- Page 4

"Hello, Dolly" 2017 Cast Recording

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#75Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 10:26pm

My friends who've seen the show (I don't go til August) claim that Midler's characterization informs the songs more in the theater. She acts them in context of the scenes, and  the results feel seamless. That's my only objection, oddly enough: she seems to be trying to sing the score too perfectly.  I get Midler's perfectionism -- or honoring of Herman -- more than Dolly in places. I'm sure it's different every night. She is very respectful  I grew up in DC, and when Bailey opened her Dolly out of town, I saw it and recall: critics said she was too careful, too caution initially.  Perhaps the role intimidates, until larger than life actors put their (full) stamp on the songs as well as the character. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 5/8/17 at 10:26 PM

Dollypop
#76Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 10:40pm

...that'll allchange when I finally get to play Dolly.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#77Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 10:52pm

In my mind Bette sounds quite similar on the recording as she does in the theatre (it might be a tiny bit more polished and less 'acted', but not by much). I just think it's a performance that is better seen than heard - she isn't (or isn't anymore, at least in this role) a skilful powerful and nuanced vocalist (and the role doesn't call for it) the same way that Ebersole, for example, uses her voice in War Paint to navigate the character and songs (e.g., Pink). The acting is seen in her facial expressions, physical movement etc. rather than her voice (with some exceptions). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 5/8/17 at 10:52 PM

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#78Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 11:42pm

i loved the show with Bette from  start to finish in the theatre. This recording is lacking energy. I find myself missing Channing or Bailey or aomw personality. . It's as if Midler was afraid to go all out for the recording. The highlight  for me is Kate Baldwin who does the best Irene Molloy I've ever seen in person and on this recording. Other than that the recording lacks energy. . I won't be buying this recording after hearing this on NPR. 

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#79Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/11/17 at 10:57am

Got an email this morning from Amazon that the CDs are en route.

broadwaytbay Profile Photo
broadwaytbay
#80Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/11/17 at 2:47pm

I simply think the mix is a bit flat.  The performances are fun, and lively, but the sound mix is flat.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#81Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/11/17 at 3:18pm

Stage Door Sally said: "Got an email this morning from Amazon that the CDs are en route."

Same. Excited!

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Jed2
#82Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/11/17 at 6:43pm

Got up this morning and iTunes had downloaded the new recording - what a wonderful way to start the morning! I love it, such a rich sound and vibrant recording. We had been listing over and over to the original plus a later recording from the 1990s. This one, in my opinion, equals the original! What a pleasant surprise.

Updated On: 5/11/17 at 06:43 PM

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#83Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/11/17 at 10:00pm

Looking forward to hearing the actual CD tomorrow. Also, I'm wondering if a high resolution version will be made available on HDTracks.com

Surprisingly, the recording is already up on Apple Music and it sounds somewhat better than the NPR stream. The CD or high resolution download (if it's made available) will be the real test.

Updated On: 5/11/17 at 10:00 PM

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#84Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/11/17 at 11:36pm

iTunes just dropped the album - I think it sounds much better than the NPR rips I've heard. Still, it's just upsetting that there's only 53 minutes of material they chose to record - we could have had the whole Waiters' Gallop (scenes and all), the "Parade" reprise that ends the first act, and the entire opening scene of "Call On Dolly" (not to mention Bette's oak leaf monologue, and the second ending of "I Put My Hand In"Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir
Updated On: 5/11/17 at 11:36 PM

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#85Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/12/17 at 12:10am

^^ Agreed, Sally. They could've gotten 80-plus minutes on a CD. No time constraints for a digital release. I'm glad it's sounding better now than the NPR stream.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#86Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/12/17 at 12:16am

The cuts are ridiculous considering how much space they had left on the CD, but this normally happens when a mainstream record label makes a cast album. 

bk
#87Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/12/17 at 1:12am

I'll have the CD tomorrow, but since I'm Prime it got put in my Cloud player for download - and let me tell you, no, it does NOT sound better than the NPR clips - it sounds exactly the same and I imagine so will the CD.  I think if someone thinks the iTunes sounds better it's because they WANT it to, not because it does.  I listened to the title song - when the boys start singing, it's so muffled that I just can't imagine WHAT I'm hearing or why it sounds like that.  Is a puzzlement.  And I'm sure that because it's a major label and Ms. Midler it will not only be nominated for a Grammy but will win.

Updated On: 5/12/17 at 01:12 AM

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#88Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/12/17 at 2:36am

Well, I thought th NPR stream was flat and unexciting but I'm listening to it on Spotify right now and I think it sounds excellent but thank god someone already let me know it absolutely doesn't sound better! It's not perfect but it does sound better.

brian1973
#89Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/12/17 at 2:45am

While I'm glad we have it, I find it to be a flat joyless recording. The orchestrations have no energy. Everything is too slow. 

The highlights are numbers not involving Bette- particularly David Hyde Pierces and Kate Baldwins.

the title number is a particular disappointment. Absolutely lacking any energy. 

It also ends too abruptly- why no music from the Bows/exit music? This could have been a much fuller recording. 

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#90Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/12/17 at 3:07am

I am so totally shocked at the truly lackluster recording of this joyous [In Person] production that I feel like I'm being pranked.

Not only does "Dolly" have the tremendous box office advance, it seems to me it will also benefit with re-recordings when Donna Murphy comes in, and whoever comes in after with her or after her. It's like they will just take the Bette tracks off the masters, and add Donna, etc.

There is so much music that has been cut, vocal and dance music, I'm waiting for them to announce a special version at Target or B&N. We are seeing the show at least two more times already and I'm sure going to send out some emails, etc. to ask WTF happened. I'm planning on asking Gavin first chance I get. 

53 minutes of Hello Dolly is a joke! I really, really hope they can explain this hack job. (It's the Cornelius "Hack" job version). The sad thing is that it will cost us more if they do fix it.   

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?
Updated On: 5/12/17 at 03:07 AM

bk
#91Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/12/17 at 3:58am

n2nbaby said: "Well, I thought th NPR stream was flat and unexciting but I'm listening to it on Spotify right now and I think it sounds excellent but thank god someone already let me know it absolutely doesn't sound better! It's not perfect but it does sound better.

"

I'm glad you think so - and I'm more than glad to tell you you're incorrect.  I have them side by side and they are exactly the same.  Of course if you're listening to Spotify at a higher volume, that would certainly give the appearance of something, but in terms of sound, they are the same, and I think there are enough posts here about the quality of the recording that there are many who feel the same about the recording.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#92Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/12/17 at 9:36am

As others have said, the digital version does sound much better than the NPR stream. Excited to open my CD when I get home from work...hoping the quality there is even better.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

DrJekyll Profile Photo
DrJekyll
#93Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/12/17 at 10:57am

ONE STINKING PICTURE in the booklet. One. The one of Bette that we've all seen a bazillion times. 

noradesmond Profile Photo
noradesmond
#94Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/12/17 at 11:24am

Sally Durant Plummer said: "iTunes just dropped the album - I think it sounds much better than the NPR rips I've heard. Still, it's just upsetting that there's only 53 minutes of material they chose to record - we could have had the whole Waiters' Gallop (scenes and all), the "Parade" reprise that ends the first act, and the entire opening scene of "Call On Dolly" (not to mention Bette's oak leaf monologue, and the second ending of "I Put My Hand In"

Totally agree!  Why not more of this terrific score when there is room? And while sound quality IS markedly better than the NPR tracks, BK was right about the mix. It's especially noticeable in the title song when the waiters voices seem buried by the orchestra. One of the things I loved about the OBC and the '94 recording was the thrilling power of those male voices. Still, shortcomings aside, and while this is not my favorite, this recording is a worthy addition. 

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#95Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/12/17 at 11:41am

Boy oh boy the cd dedfeniply sounds a million times better than the NPR rip.  But I agree with everyone.. they should have included a lot more.  How can they not include the very finale?   And the omission of the parade reprise is scandalous.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#96Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/12/17 at 11:52am

Yeah, I'm shocked by the recording's lack of completeness. Pretty unacceptable for this day and age. I wish Ghostlight or PS Classics had been the label behind this.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#97Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/12/17 at 12:46pm

I'm sure the show is great in person-but the album for me, lacks excitement.  It's a nice listen, but I think my go-to will continue to be the Pearl Bailey Cast Recording.

noradesmond Profile Photo
noradesmond
#98Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/12/17 at 12:46pm

Kad said: "Yeah, I'm shocked by the recording's lack of completeness. Pretty unacceptable for this day and age. I wish Ghostlight or PS Classics had been the label behind this."

Amen, brother!

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#99Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/12/17 at 1:00pm

The CD does sound a bit better than the rips and I know my guests are going to love getting these in their Dolly gift bags.  

But WE know... WE know.... this could have been so much better. Liner notes by Steve Suskin are extensive and all the song lyrics are there. Will read when I have a free hour or two.