Roles for Betsy Wolfe

#25Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 3/23/17 at 2:53pm

CaseyBrent41 said: "It was going to be Cassie Levy as Jenna, but then she got Elsa in Frozen and Betsy was called for Jenna

This is complete nonsense, no chance a producer would have put an offer for Waitress on the table and let someone go in and audition for a Disney show.  Disney as well would not allow that to happen.    The idea she had that offer for Waitress and was just given the option of Frozen after an audition is not the way producers and casting agents work.  Producers don't fight with each other over leads, it is bad business and no one gets in Disney's way, just ask a casting agent.   More likely what happened was both Levi and Wolfe were being considered for Waitress for a very long time and the producer waited to make an offer once Disney was not involved.  Meaning the offer went directly to Wolfe.  My guess is that even if you are right and Wolfe now has an offer for Waitress which I doubt, she probably got multiple offers from producers like that for 2017-18/19 season now that she is potentially available again and Disney who no one crosses is out of the way.  Take it to the bank NO ONE was making offers to Wolfe for over a year all of 2015- 2016 since Disney leaked her being in Frozen.  She was considered by other producers to be unavailable for 2017-18 based on what Disney put out there.  That being said, Wolfe is a proven commodity as a lead on Broadway on cusp of being even bigger that is usually agreed upon here.   Producers will come calling and my guess is she has multiple offers like the Waitress one you alluded to and she is making choices of what  the next best move for her is.  I for one am just pissed Disney messed with a good thing and fired Alex Timbers which in turn got Wolfe axed once a new director and his monster ego came in and wanted his own Elsa.

Jjohansan
#26Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 3/23/17 at 4:12pm

I personally feel that Caissie is the better choice for BOTH Jenna and Elsa. Betsy is a stellar talent and would be a great Elsa, but I feel that Caissie is more right for both parts.

neonlightsxo
#27Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 3/23/17 at 4:14pm

I heard the same story about Betsy and Caissie, for whatever it's worth...

thebookofwhizzer Profile Photo
thebookofwhizzer
#28Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 3/23/17 at 5:05pm

Would Betsy Wolfe be Jenna in the Waitress Tour? I have seasons tickets for the National theater, where waitress is going! Also I think she'd be great in mean girls which is opening in October at the National too

“6 AM. The sky glows. Somewhere a bird chirps. I want to shoot it.” ~ Jonathan Larson, Tick...Tick..BOOM

JSquared2
#29Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 3/23/17 at 5:28pm

thebookofwhizzer said: "Would Betsy Wolfe be Jenna in the Waitress Tour? I have seasons tickets for the National theater, where waitress is going! Also I think she'd be great in mean girls which is opening in October at the National too"

Who would she play in MEAN GIRLS --- the Amy Poehler "mom" role? The Tina Fey role?   She's about to turn 35 --- a bit past the expiration date to play a HS student...

Ragged Tear
#30Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 3/24/17 at 1:48am

In response to Ham's: "I for one am just pissed Disney messed with a good thing and fired Alex Timbers which in turn got Wolfe axed once a new director and his monster ego came in and wanted his own Elsa."

bwah ha ha ha ha! Maybe he listened to her performance on that Last Five Years revival album. Ouch. 

#31Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:10am

Ragged Tear said: "In response to Ham's: "I for one am just pissed Disney messed with a good thing and fired Alex Timbers which in turn got Wolfe axed once a new director and his monster ego came in and wanted his own Elsa."

bwah ha ha ha ha! Maybe he listened to her performance on that Last Five Years revival album. Ouch. 

If you are implying that Wolfe's performance in L5Y and the cast album is anything but top notch just stop.  You are making yourself look like an idiot.  Have some sort of nuanced opinion or artistic thought if you going to post in here.  Betsy Wolfe has been around doing the hard roles like L5Y for a while for a reason.  If you think that was an easy job to land (everyone in town wanted that role and went in for it, including Cassie Levi for all the haters) you don't know the business and if you think JRB doesn't hire only artistically the best who can actually sing his music seriously just stop posting.

"

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#32Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 4/11/17 at 10:47pm

So, Betsy singing waitress at a touring house event is a good sign she has an offer with waitress on the table? 

Also, I heard the final four who were being seen for elsa were also the final four who were being seen for Jenna. Does this have any credibility? That seems so odd. The two roles seem nothing a like. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

JennH
#33Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 4/12/17 at 9:50am

Call_me_jorge said: "So, Betsy singing waitress at a touring house event is a good sign she has an offer with waitress on the table? 

Also, I heard the final four who were being seen for elsa were also the final four who were being seen for Jenna. Does this have any credibility? That seems so odd. The two roles seem nothing a like. 

"

If this is true, that is strange. I mean, Telsey casts both so I wouldn't be wholly shocked but considering kind of shows they are...We'll never know of course, so it's pointless to speculate and therefore it might as well be dropped, BUT i will say overall... yeah these roles are very different and the shows live in very different worlds. Both ladies are very insecure but for very different reasons. One show/role is a very modern day, "regular people" aesthetic and the other is a very traditional, classic, aesthetic that lives in fairy tale land. We all know which is which I hope. Betsy's look fits Frozen more,  she's a very "traditional looking beauty" that I personally would find odd as Jenna, a very earthy, homegrown southern gal. And her skills would do Elsa just fine, but I got say...I'm beginning to prefer Cassie in terms of skill set for Elsa for a few reasons. Cassie has the more modern day look about her, but not so much that she can't fit in Frozen. I just think Cassie has a more versatile look that can bounce from show to show proven by her stints in Wicked, Ghost, and Les Mis. 

Funny, I was very attached to Betsy (as were we all) for Elsa, and heck began to wonder who else could possibly do it...but when Cassie became attached it became another case of "Why didn't I think of that before?"

Updated On: 4/12/17 at 09:50 AM

BWayBound115 Profile Photo
BWayBound115
#34Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 4/12/17 at 10:21am

I'd love to see her play Irene Molloy

Call_me_jorge
#35Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 10/13/17 at 12:13pm

Are there anymore roles you’d like to see her in? Are there any musicals, new or revival, you think would be a good fit for Betsy?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#36Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 10/13/17 at 12:14pm

BWayBound115 said: "I'd love to see her play Irene Molloy"

Oh my god I'd literally scream.

Whenever she's done doing whatever she's doing, she's gonna need to go down to the Shubert instantly 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#37Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 10/13/17 at 1:10pm

How about the Nurse in Romeo and Juliet.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#38Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 10/13/17 at 5:22pm

Would love to see her originate a role...but if she must be a replacement these are things i'd kill to see her do.

Beverly in Come From Away (Maybe in a few years??)

Dot/Marie in Sunday

Either of the Hilton girls in SideShow (I believe she was involved in the initial workshop of the revival)

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#39Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 10/17/17 at 12:06pm

ohhhh my god Dot in Sunday. I never knew I needed this until now. It's too perfect.

I'm still upset that she's not playing Julie Jordan.

Call_me_jorge
#40Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 11/25/17 at 6:49pm

Here’s a list of musicals both originals and revivals that are aimed for broadway that I think Betsy would be great in! I got all of these from this Playbill article: http://www.playbill.com/article/schedule-of-upcoming-and-announced-broadway-shows-com-113677
Are there any that you think she would be a perfect fit for?
I’m really into the idea of Betsy as Britney Spears...

KING KONG
• Theatre: Broadway Theatre
• First Preview: October 5, 2018
• Opening: November 8, 2018
• Written by Jack Thorne (book), Marius de Vries and Eddie Perfect (score)
• Director and choreographer: Drew McOnie
• Cast: TBA
• A musical adaptation of Merian C. Cooper and Edgar Wallace’s novella.
• King Kong had its world premiere at the Regent Theatre in Melbourne, Australia.

KISS ME, KATE
• Theatre: TBA
• Target Opening: Early 2019
• Book by Sam and Bella Spewack. Songs by Cole Porter.
• Cast: Kelli O'Hara
• A revival of the classic Cole Porter musical.

13 GOING ON 30
• Target Opening: TBA
• Book by Josh Goldsmith and Cathy Yuspa, music and lyrics by Alan Zachary and Michael Weiner
• Director: Andy Fickman
• A gawky teenage girl uses “wishing dust” to transform herself into a glamorous adult.
• New musical based on the 2004 hit movie of the same title.

BEETLEJUICE
• Writers: Score by Eddie Perfect; book by Scott Brown and Anthony King
• Director: Alex Timbers
• A musical version of the supernatural 1988 film comedy about a couple who hire an exorcist to remove a very naughty ghost from their new house.
• Produced by Warner Bros. Theatre Ventures, the show reportedly had a 2016 New York reading starring Chris Fitzgerald.

THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS
• Written by Carol Hall (music & lyrics), Peter Masterson and Larry L. King (book)
• Director and Choreographer: Rob Ashford
• Whorehouse recounts the good times and the demise of the Chicken Ranch, known since the 1850s as one of the best pleasure palaces in all of Texas...that is, until the crusading television reporter Melvin P. Thorpe focuses his cameras and his righteous indignation on the institution.
• Jerry Frankel and Jeffrey Richards will produce this revival.

BOMBSHELL
• Score by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman; librettist TBA
• Director: TBA; choreography by Joshua Bergasse
• Stage incarnation of the fictional Marilyn Monroe-centered musical whose creation was at the center of the TV series Smash.

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA
• Music by Elton John. Book and lyrics by Paul Rudnick.
• Being produced by Bob Cohen of Fox Stage Productions and Kevin McCollum
• New musical based on Lauren Weisberger’s 2003 novel and the 2006 film about a woman who becomes assistant to the notorious editor of a topline fashion magazine.

GYPSY
• Target Opening: 2018
• Director: Jonathan Kent
• Cast: Imelda Staunton
• Broadway transfer of the musical biography of stripper queen Gypsy Rose Lee and her driven mother, with music by Jule Styne, lyrics by Stephen Sondheimand book by Arthur Laurents.
• This production was a hit in London in 2015. Staunton has said the production will transfer to NY, but there has been no official word from producers.

MAGIC MIKE
• Written by Tom Kitt (music), Brian Yorkey (lyrics), Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (book)
• Director: TBA
• A stage adaptation of Steven Soderbergh's film about male strippers.
• A private workshop was held April 2015 featuring Derek Klena and Taylor Louderman.

ROMAN HOLIDAY
• Book by Paul Blake, Kathy Speer and Terry Grossman. Score by Cole Porter.
• Director: Marc Bruni
• Musical stage adaptation of the Gregory Peck-Audrey Hepburn romantic film comedy.
• Had a May-June 2017 tryout at San Francisco’s Golden Gate Theatre.

THE SECRET GARDEN
• Written by Lucy Simon (music) and Marsha Norman(book and lyrics)
• Director: David Armstrong
• Revival of the 1991 musical based on Frances Hodgson Burnett’s story about an orphan girl who finds renewal when she discovers a locked, dead garden and brings it back to life.
• A co-production of Seattle's The 5th Avenue Theatre and Shakespeare Theatre Company in Washington D.C., the Broadway-bound revival played a stint in Houston October 10–22.

UNTITLED BRITNEY SPEARS MUSICAL
• Featuring music by Britney Spears
• Director: Jerry Mitchell
• Jukebox musical weaving together the pop star's hits to tell a fictional story.

WaffleOnWheels
#41Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 11/25/17 at 7:03pm

Oh my gosh, she'd be great if that Gypsy revival ever ends up happening!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#42Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 11/25/17 at 7:10pm

Just because they atitle makes playbill's list, doesn't mean it will ever see the light of day.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Call_me_jorge
#43Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 11/25/17 at 7:13pm

I mean sure, but I never said anything about any of them actually coming in...

I hope her ties with carousel haven’t been completely severed, because I’d love to see her replace Jessie if it runs long enough.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#44Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 11/25/17 at 7:19pm

Betsy's a wonderful performer. She's got a big range, both dramatically and vocally and she's absolutely gorgeous. I'm excited to see what she does next. It's sad that she won't be doing Carousel since she's such a perfect Carrie.

I'd love to see her join Beetlejuice since Kerry Butler is tied up with Mean Girls at the moment.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#45Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 11/25/17 at 9:18pm

I said it in another thread a couple of days ago, but if Yorke cannot return to her role in "Kiss Me, Kate" I think Betsy is the perfect choice for her replacement. Plus, that role is just so fun, and it would fit her like a glove. I'd love to hear her Always True to You! Especially the insane high belt she'd throw in at the end.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Call_me_jorge
#46Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 1/3/18 at 12:20am

It’s Betsy last week at the diner! sad

I hope we find out her next project sooner than later

KathyNYC2
#47Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 1/3/18 at 12:51am

Just to clarify, her last show is next Tuesday. But yes only 7 shows to go.

Call_me_jorge
#48Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 1/9/18 at 5:05pm

Tonight is the night! I was honored to witness her performance in June and I so wish I could be there tonight. Anyone going? I hope they give a speech for her or give her flowers at least. She deserves the world.

Skye8
#49Roles for Betsy Wolfe
Posted: 1/9/18 at 10:03pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Tonight is the night! I was honored to witness her performance in June and I so wish I could be there tonight. Anyone going? I hope they give a speech for her or give her flowers at least. She deserves the world."

A speech AND flowers :) (not my video, just found on Twitter)

https://twitter.com/Melissinthecity/status/950922263569805321