Tickets During Winter Storm

iabwayfan Profile Photo
iabwayfan
#1Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 3:22pm

Hi all,

I have been a frequent reader, but rare contributor to this Blog for years.  I'm heading to NYC this week and am wondering if anyone could give me some insight on scoring ticket deals due to the big storm anticipated to arrive.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any success going to the box office and asking if there are discounted tickets available, or using TKTS, TDF, or TodayTix.  What's worked for you?

Thanks so much!

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#2Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 3:30pm

Whenever there is a snowstorm everyone runs to Hamilton and there still aren't ever tickets available. Sometimes in incliment weather, individual box offices will announce a sort of "snow day" flash sale - usually for sales at the box office. TDF and Today's Tix are more geared towards advance sale purchase and would probably not offer special additional discounts.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#3Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 3:32pm

I'm a big fan of TKTS, mainly because they sell by best available. I've never spent more than $90 for excellent orchestra seating. This past Wednesday, I got to the booth at 4 pm (they opened at 3 pm), and I literally walked right up to the window. I got 7th row orchestra to MISS SAIGON for $81 total. Other discounts are sometimes available elsewhere, but 50% off is hard to beat. I'm not sure if a box office discount would be as good. Also, if you download the TKTS app, it has real-time discount info, which should also be helpful.

Updated On: 3/11/17 at 03:32 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#4Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 4:00pm

Some shows will offer snow specials during inclement weather. I've found the best place to learn about these are on websites like this one or Playbill, or on Twitter.

TKTS can be great in bad weather--the lines are usually short and shows may dump a bunch of great seats on there. 

It really is luck of the draw, but you can definitely end up with good deals if the weather turns sour. Good luck!

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Dollypop
#5Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 5:30pm

On a similar note: I have a ticket for the first preview of HELLO DOLLY!  this Wednesday night. There's a huge snowstorm in the forecast for the day before. As I live on Eastern Long Island, I'm hoping the Long Island Railroad isn't affected by it. 

Any suggestions for reasonably priced hotels white I can come in early and make it to the show regardless of the weather?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#6Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 5:44pm

if the storm is a bad as it's expected to be, anticipate snow day discounts for a lot of shows. Only time shows cancel due to weather is when mass transit gets shut down.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BroadwayBeebe
#7Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 5:49pm

I'm in the same situation as you Dollypop and I'm praying that this doesn't affect me getting to my Dolly ticket that I've been looking forward to for the last 6 months!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#8Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 5:59pm

Dollypop said: "On a similar note: I have a ticket for the first preview of HELLO DOLLY!  this Wednesday night. There's a huge snowstorm in the forecast for the day before. As I live on Eastern Long Island, I'm hoping the Long Island Railroad isn't affected by it. 

Any suggestions for reasonably priced hotels white I can come in early and make it to the show regardless of the weather?
"

For the blizzard that hit during BroadwayCon 2016, I stayed at the Time (on 49th next to Book of Mormon). I live in Queens, but decided I didn't want to go home early when they discontinued the trains. I forget exactly what I paid, but it was far less than I would've expected for something so centrally located. I forgot to ask the nice folks at the Time, but I wondered if it was a quick day-of and/or snow-day discount. I booked it on hotels.com.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#9Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 6:09pm

Yotel is good too. I stayed there for BroadwayCon this year. It's only a block from Port Authority.  

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#10Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 6:12pm

Yea I'm supposed to see Great Comet on Wednesday. Anyway to refund or do a schedule 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#11Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 6:20pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Yea I'm supposed to see Great Comet on Wednesday. Anyway to refund or do a schedule "

Tweet them or call Telecharge and ask (if that's who you bought it through). Or if you're in the area right now, go to the box office.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Dollypop
#12Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 6:41pm

Thanks for the hotel suggestions. NOTHING WILL STOP ME FROM BEING AT THE 1ST PREVIEW!!!!!!

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#13Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 6:53pm

I found Yotel to be pretty pricy when I stayed there when it first opened. Go on Hotwire the day of, they usually have great discounts.

iabwayfan Profile Photo
iabwayfan
#14Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 8:51pm

Thank you for all of the information!

Tickets During Winter Storm

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#15Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 8:56pm

It sounds like Tuesday travel and shows will be the most effected. Hello, Dolly should be fine. I will be there as well. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#16Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 9:09pm

we're expecting blizzard conditions all day Tuesday with 12-18" of snow expected per the updated forecast just now possibly causing suspension of travel in the city

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Dollypop
#17Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 9:28pm

Us, the storm should hit Monday night into Tuesday. Doesn't't mean the LIRR will be up and running on Wednesday, though. Tracks ice up and switches freeze. I'm also looking into bus service.

djoko84
#18Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 9:37pm

If it's going to be over a foot then will they cancel all shows? No way will mass transit run in that much snow. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#19Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/11/17 at 11:18pm

djoko84 said: "If it's going to be over a foot then will they cancel all shows? No way will mass transit run in that much snow. 

we'll know by Monday night what is in store transportation wise for Tuesday in the city as you never know which way or how much snow we really will be getting but saying 12-18"...till then

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#20Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/12/17 at 12:21am

Dollypop said: "On a similar note: I have a ticket for the first preview of HELLO DOLLY!  this Wednesday night. There's a huge snowstorm in the forecast for the day before. As I live on Eastern Long Island, I'm hoping the Long Island Railroad isn't affected by it. 

"

I've had friends use the hoteltonight app in the past and got great deals staying in Times Square hotels ($89-$120/night) like the Edison Hotel, Paramount hotel, etc.) Only downside is the best deals are offered on the same day when you stay there (some discount the day before booking as well).

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#21Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:38am

The latest reports are saying 12-18 inches for the NYC area. Majority of the snow will fall in the morning as it's expected to be a fast moving storm. Again, it all comes down to if mass transit is up and running as to whether shows get cancelled Tuesday night. The storm is expected to be over by Tuesday evening, so I'd expect all shows on Wednesday to go on as scheduled.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

djoko84
#22Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/13/17 at 6:58am

Wednesday will probably go on as scheduled, but I'm expecting Tuesday to be cancelled. Before you book any hotels make sure that your show will go on. It would really suck if you paid for a hotel room for nothing and then were stuck in the city.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#23Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/13/17 at 8:36am

Tuesday's shows will only be cancelled if mass transit is suspended. If the trains are running by the afternoon/early evening, you should expect all shows to proceed as scheduled.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 3/13/17 at 08:36 AM

Liza's Headband
#24Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/13/17 at 8:48am

djoko84 said: "Wednesday will probably go on as scheduled, but I'm expecting Tuesday to be cancelled. Before you book any hotels make sure that your show will go on. It would really suck if you paid for a hotel room for nothing and then were stuck in the city.

"

Unless mass transit is suspended, you should NOT expect that. As long as mass transit is operating, the performances will go on as scheduled. It's that simple.

JoeyEvans1206
#25Tickets During Winter Storm
Posted: 3/13/17 at 10:11am

Hotel Tonight is a great app for last minute, inexpensive hotels in the city!