Neusimone
#1Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 1:54am

Any good ideas?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 2:29am

Kiss of the Spider Woman. I think her glamour and voice will suit the score better than Audra (who is rumoured to be involved in some kind of production/reading recently?).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#3Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 2:49am

I thought Heather Headley was being discussed for Kiss Of A Spider Woman. I agree that Zeta Jones would be an excellent Audra. She could be a great Miranda Priestly in upcoming The Devil Wears Prada too, if they want star casting and have the budget for it. Also Charity in Sweet Charity (guess Sutton has that one locked if it transfers tho). Maybe Phyllis in Follies a few years from now?

I'm also curious to see her see her in more vulnerable roles, can't think of roles right now.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
Updated On: 3/14/17 at 02:49 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#4Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 5:18am

https://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/13/audra-mcdonald-and-alan-cumming-in-a-reading-of-kiss-of-the-spider-woman/

I must say I'd be excited at the prospect of Alan Cumming and Steve Pasquale. PERFECT casting.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#5Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 5:54am

^ I somehow missed that. I agree. This is phenomenal. I was envisioning Heather, Titus, and Joshua Henry for the rumored African-American revival. Anyway... back to Zeta!

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

The Other One
#6Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 9:59am

F*CKin' Ruthie in American Buffalo.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#7Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 10:12am

Sheila in A CHORUS LINE. But that's just me.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Blue_Lotus Profile Photo
Blue_Lotus
#8Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 12:31pm

Catherine Zeta Jones doesn't have to wait a couple of more years to play Phyllis Rogers Stone in "Follies". She's perfect for the role now. She is 47 years old. Alexis Smith was 50 when she originated the part.

...i am an infinite soul in a human body who is in the process of never ending growth...

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#9Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 12:33pm

She'd be great in Spider Woman. I kind of got the feeling Night Music wasn't a great experience for her and don't really expect to see her back on the boards soon, but of course I could be totally wrong. I, by the way, saw her twice in Night Music and thought she was wonderful.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 3/14/17 at 12:33 PM

Blue_Lotus Profile Photo
Blue_Lotus
#10Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 12:36pm

She'd be great for "Spider Woman" but that's a given: Kander-Ebb score/role originated by Chita. She did it once, she can do it again with little effort. I would like to see her do something outside of that comfort zone.

I love when performers take on a role that no one else thinks they can do and wind up nailing it.

...i am an infinite soul in a human body who is in the process of never ending growth...

Blue_Lotus Profile Photo
Blue_Lotus
#11Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 12:38pm

Zeta Jones is much too mature for the role of "Sheila" in A Chorus Line about 15 years too old for that part.

@z5
#12Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 12:54pm

I know this probably wont ever happen- but, i would LOVEto see her reprise Velma in Chicago on stage. She was so incredible with that role in the movie. I'd love to see it happen live.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#13Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 1:01pm

What about Margo Channing in Applause? 

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#14Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 1:13pm

Mame?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#15Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 1:26pm

"Kiss" is perfect for her

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Dollypop
#16Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 2:11pm

Theater insiders will tell you that Zeta Jones was erratic in NIGHT MUSIC. Her performance varied from night to night and she didn't adhere to the original blocking. This presented challenges to the lighting crew as well as to her fellow actors

Don't expect to see her back on Broadway any time soon.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Princeton2
#17Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 2:16pm

Norma Desmond

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#18Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 2:32pm

Dollypop said: "Theater insiders will tell you that Zeta Jones was erratic in NIGHT MUSIC. Her performance varied from night to night and she didn't adhere to the original blocking. This presented challenges to the lighting crew as well as to her fellow actors

Don't expect to see her back on Broadway any time soon.
"

Is this for real? If so, that's sad. Reviews for her here have been almost unanimously good, would have loved to see her. Some excellent suggestions here, btw. A Follies movie would be an absolute dream come true (dream being the keyword here).

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#19Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 2:34pm

I saw her around 6 times in Night Music and her performance was never less than consistent. Nothing like what was seen on the Tonys.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#20Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 2:39pm

She'd be a fantastic Mame!  Perfect!  

If there's ever going to be a film version of "Follies," she'd be a fantastic Phyllis.  

Who are these theatre "insiders?"

nasty_khakis
#21Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 2:41pm

Mame, Norma, Spiderwoman.

"If there's ever going to be a film version of "Follies," she'd be a fantastic Phyllis."

Not as long as Michelle Pfeiffer is alive and I have access to email!

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#22Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 2:43pm

Yes, MP would be a wonderful Phyllis.  

nasty_khakis
#23Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 2:57pm

I think CZJ would as well, but I see her more as a Dynamite Carlotta.

evic
#24Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 2:59pm

Nothing to do with Olivia De Havelland....she is dreadful on Feud...i wonder if she has seen a movie with her.  And that wig is so wrong...

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#25Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!
Posted: 3/14/17 at 3:14pm

Ann Margret would be a FAB Carlotta.