pixeltracker

THE LITTLE FOXES Previews- Page 2

THE LITTLE FOXES Previews

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#25THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/1/17 at 7:38pm

NYfanfromCA said: "I would also love to read any feedback on Linney as Birdie and Nixon as Regina!

I'm debating whether to exchange my ticket for a time when Cynthia Nixon is playing Birdie.  Also, for those of you who know this story (I have never seen the movie), would you recommend that I watch the movie first, or go in completely cold?"

I'd definitely suggest seeing the play first.  For one thing, the movie is in one respect quite different from the play - and not in a bad way, but in a very Hollywood-smart kind of of way.  Helllman (who wrote the screenplay) made a very significant addition in the transfer to Hollywood, one that's firmly in keeping dramatically and politically with the play.  And also with its tone (no sanitizing here).   But it makes the narrative more Hollywood in a very satisfying, Golden age way.  But if you saw the play first, you might miss that added 
dimension from the film  Also, not having seen this production yet, I'd add that even a very fine mounting of the play might pale in comparison to Wyler's very impactful film.

In addition, the play is beautifully structured and easy to follow plot wise.  There's no reason to brush up on the plot by seeing the movie first.

"

Updated On: 4/1/17 at 07:38 PM

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#26THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/1/17 at 8:00pm

henrikegerman said: "
I'd definitely suggest seeing the play first.  "

Thank you!  I will go in cold.  Also, Telecharge let me change the date, so I will be seeing Cynthia as Birdie.  Now I am wishing that I could see it twice with the different leads, but I won't be able to do that during the limited run.  

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#27THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/1/17 at 8:53pm

At the first intermission. Laura Linney is pitch perfect and heartbreaking as Birdie.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#28THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/2/17 at 12:09am

I saw the whole thing tonight. And I must say, I really can't imagine Laura Linney as Regina and Cynthia Nixon as Birdie, as they so completely inhabited their switched roles.

http://poisonivywalloftext.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-little-foxes.html

Polka Dot2 Profile Photo
Polka Dot2
#29THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/2/17 at 1:25pm

I'm excited to see this! Has anyone done TodayTix rush? How are the seats?

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#30THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/2/17 at 1:31pm

I did TodayTix and got excellent orchestra seats. It's a small theater so there's no bad seats.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#31THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 10:45pm

Saw this tonight and was completely delighted by how fresh and simple this revival felt. The set was lovely, the costumes were gorgeous, and the actors are completely on their game. The play still holds up remarkably well, and the actors seems to have left the ghosts of casts past (Tallulah Bankhead, Bette Davis, Elizabeth Taylor, ect.) far behind. There is no weak link in the cast, even if no one (with one glorious exception) is breaking the mold of these characters. But there is a difference between conventional and boring, and these actors are decidedly not the latter. I was struck by how powerful a performer Caroline Stefanie Clay was as Addie, in a barely-there role. She commanded the stage and Addie emerged as the third female lead (to the detriment of Francesca Carpanini's Alexandra, a well-done, but paint-by-numbers, performance). I have to commend Daniel Sullivan for keeping the actors on their game. The play is a melodrama, but Sullivan used the naturalistic structure to create an almost Chekhovian atmosphere. I was reminded of "Three Sisters" and "Cherry Orchard" numerous times during the show, and not in a bad way. Every actor is always doing something; thinking of some way they can still win. I really loved it. Even if there is nothing groundbreaking or new, I found it a most delightful evening at the theatre - and the three acts really speed by!

Laura Linney has taken a fascinating interpretation of Regina, even if it doesn't fully work with the character of the production. Envisioned as a sort of Hedda Gabler, bored with life and desperate for a way out, her brothers force her to betray her humanity in order to win. It is very interesting to watch, but there is something in the text that just doesn't work with it. Or maybe I just have Bette Davis' ice queen too chiseled into my mind. Still, the third act (with "the scene"THE LITTLE FOXES Previews was riveting, and the audience member next to me audibly gasped when she stayed in her chair, refusing to help.

But the real revelation is Cynthia Nixon's Birdie. She is so totally in it, I found the first act to be her own personal tragedy. She almost robbed Linney of her big moment, so perfectly did she open act three (her monologue is Tony worthy in itself). I found myself watching her wander the stage during other character's dialogue, and it was a gift to watch Nixon just BE Birdie onstage. Birdie may be meant as a warning (to both Alexandra and Regina), but tonight she felt like the emotional center of the play. Nixon is a treasure, and I will be returning to see her Regina, which I imagine will be even better than her Birdie.

I rushed from TodayTix and was given a seat in the Mezzanine, but the theatre is so small there isn't really a bad seat.

Anyone know how Linney and Nixon will be considered for awards? Will they each be eligible for Leading for Regina and Supporting for Birdie (where Nixon's Birdie could be nominated in supporting with Linney's Regina in leading or vice versa), or will they be nominated for Leading for both roles? It shall be interesting to see who is nominated in suck a packed season.

I love Lillian Hellman, and I highly recommend this production of The Little Foxes.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir
Updated On: 4/7/17 at 10:45 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#32THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 10:57pm

Interesting. I saw the reverse cast (Nixon as Regina, Linney as Birdie) and thought they were perfect in their roles. Linney has that sort of fragile charm that works so well for Birdie. And Nixon played Regina as a sociopath from the start. Very little charm or sex appeal -- this was a woman with one love: money. I actually think that reading is more supported in the play. Regina's brothers are deplorable but even if Regina had to fight for her piece of the pie it doesn't excuse her callous treatment of Birdie, Horace, and Alexandra. We see her in the first act not offer Birdie a word of support as she's being browbeaten. In the second act Horace is barely home before she spits "I want you to die!" I really think Nixon's portrayal worked in that way -- it was so consistent. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#33THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 11:02pm

Sally Durant Plummer said: "Anyone know how Linney and Nixon will be considered for awards?"

Fantastic review, Sally, thanks so much for it! It's been confirmed that Linney will be considered for her Regina performance, and Nixon will be considered for her Birdie performance (as those are the ones they'll be giving on opening night). Precedent suggests that Regina is a Leading role, where Birdie is a Featured role.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#34THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 11:06pm

Thanks for that. Interesting to hear they are only eligible for one of their performances, but I guess the producers really don't want a competition between the two. I confess, I have a suspicion Nixon will snag a nomination (at least), but I have doubts about Linney. I still greatly enjoyed her performance, and In another year, Linney would have been a shoe-in, but this is just such a tightly packed season.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#35THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 11:26pm

Has that actually been confirmed by the Tonys? I agree it's likely, but The Little Foxes is so late in the season (and has yet to open, even) that I don't think they've met to discuss placement or consideration for either Linney or Nixon.  

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
Updated On: 4/4/17 at 11:26 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#36THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/5/17 at 8:16am

The Tony Awards Administration Committee is meeting at least one more time before the nominations are determined, and I'm sure this will be one of the matters they adjudicate. I imagine that they will follow the opening night performance--Linney as Regina, Nixon as Birdie--but we'll see.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Zimmy Profile Photo
Zimmy
#37THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/5/17 at 10:10am

I'm a bit confused by the posts and what I've found online as to what the run time is. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance!

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#38THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/5/17 at 10:29am

I saw the show over the weekend and enjoyed it. I also thought the revelatory performance was Birdie- as played at my performance by Laura Linney. 

In truth I think Birdie is just the more devestating role. I understand why actresses are drawn to the power of Regina, but Birdie is the role audiences respond to more.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#39THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/5/17 at 10:51am

Have to agree with these posts about the scene-stealer nature of Birdie. I played Horace in college (I'm not an actor, so we'll leave that there), and remember how the Birdie moments simply stopped the play in its tracks, as emotionally devastating as they are.  Regina has predictably powerhouse ones, but Birdie probably is as recognizable to audiences in 2017 as she's always been, a particular suburban wife, abused, lost in reverie and alcohol.  The character is timeless, oddly enough, perhaps in ways Regina is not quite so much (the play takes place pre-vote for women, among other factors).  It's just a rollicking good story, this play's, and it's wonderful to hear how well this production works. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

henrikegerman
#40THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/5/17 at 11:14am

A couple of comments as someone looking forward to seeing this, probably twice.

Linney is perhaps trying different things and finding her way.   Perhaps by opening night her Regina might hit notes she's not hitting for some now.

Both Regina and Birdie are great roles.

Regina, I would suggest, is a much more challenging role to swing out of the park than Birdie is.

I disagree with Auggie about Regina not being a timeless character.  In fact, I think she's a highly topical one.  This country is filled with Reginas - and I don't just mean women; far from it!
The last powerful scene between Regina and Alexandra, alluding to Addie's wise words about those that eat the earth and those that stand around and watch them, not only puts Regina in full relief but crystallizes a reality that could not be more on-point today.... focuses on all the Reginas out there.

But making Regina fascinating and individuated, grand and relatable, someone to be both empathized with (to a degree, this is a morality melodrama) and recognized as a symbol and symptom of exactly what this country needs to beware most is a major challenge for any actor.  No less a leading lady than Stockard Channing failed to fully realize her in the last Broadway revival whereas Frances Conroy was, as one would expect, a creditable Birdie.  (Although I understand Elizabeth Marvel did quite well as the last off-Broadway Regina).

Finally, I would hope that as Nixon and Linney find their very own takes on both roles, they have the generosity and foresight to "steal" from each other when doing so might further actualize their own marks on both roles.

Updated On: 4/5/17 at 11:14 AM

wonderfulwizard11
#41THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/5/17 at 11:27am

It was the first time I'd ever seen the play, but Marvel was a pretty intense, no-holds-barred, Regina. Of course, since it was van Hove, that was true of the whole production, but I was riveted by her. Tina Benko was also a terrific Birdie in that production. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#42THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/5/17 at 11:30am

Marvel was extraordinary, but I don't know how she would fare in a more traditional production of the play.

The production that played DC this fall featured Marg Helgenberger as a very creditable Regina, and Broadway regular Isabel Keating as a heartbreaking Birdie. But I agree that Regina is the more complex role--you really have to try hard to screw up Birdie.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

henrikegerman
#43THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/5/17 at 11:45am

AC126748 said: " But I agree that Regina is the more complex role--you really have to try hard to screw up Birdie."
Exactly what I was trying to say, AC, but, as usual, you did it better.  And with more pith.

wonderfulwizard11
#44THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 12:13am

If you have never read or seen this play, spoilers below.

I was there tonight and found it to be a solid, if not revelatory production. My only exposure to the play previously was the van Hove production in 2010 which was intense and left a massive impression on me when I saw it. At the end of the play then, I felt like I'd been absolutely punched in the gut. This production is much more traditional and thus I wouldn't expect it to land in the same fashion, but overall it felt a little underbaked. I think everyone on stage could do well to pace themselves a bit more. Given that it's older and three acts, I understand the desire to want to keep things humming, but as the characters exact their cruelty towards each other, it all felt a little rushed. I felt this especially in the tail end of Act Three- Horace collapses on the stairs awfully quickly, and because it happens so fast, the full brunt of Regina's non-action loses a little bit of its sharpness. Similarly, the conclusion of the play, when Xan abandons Regina, doesn't really register- I know the play and it took a second for me to grasp what exactly was happening. I don't think this requires a massive change on the part of the cast, but everyone seems a little too tentative to take their time, and I think it makes the play a little less spiky.

The only person who really didn't have this issue was Cynthia Nixon, who played Birdie this evening. I think a large part of that is because Birdie is flightier than everyone else on stage, so she can afford to be operating at a faster pace, but in her final monologue she takes her time and fully nails it. It's a very moving performance.

Laura Linney does quite well as Regina. I think she understand the ruthlessness at the heart of her, but in her final scene with Xan I think she's a little at sea. She doesn't completely land the difficult switch between cold dominance and fear, but I think she'll find it with more time. Her scene with Oscar, Ben, and Leo was excellent, however. All the rest of the cast is quite good, especially Michael McKean and Caroline Stefanie Clay as Ben and Addie. I was unfortunately not as taken with Francesca Carpanini as Xan, though this might have been because she was often out of view from my seat. Design is all professional, and the set is quite nice. 

Overall, it's not an evening of fireworks, but this Little Foxes is a solid production of a wonderful and always timely play, so I'm very happy to see it back. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#45THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 12:56am

From what I'm reading here, I wonder if Linney is attempting to play Regina closer to the way Tallulah Bankhead played her, which from what I read, was less of a cold, conniving, calculating woman but more of a victim fighting for survival. 

I'm going to have to see this production twice. It seems most of the people who've seen the previews love both actresses as Birdie.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#46THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 11:55am

For a bit more background on this play: I saw the famous Mike Nichols staging at Lincoln Center back in the 1960s, and Anne Bancroft as Regina and Margaret Leighton as Birdie were memorable (as was George C. Scott as Ben). The next major production with Elizabeth Taylor was better than anyone expected (her non-award-acceptance speech at the Tonys was hilarious), and although Maureen Stapleton as Birdie was the standout, Taylor held her own. The last LC production with Stockard Channing as Regina was totally wrongheaded, with only Brian Kerwin emerging with a full performance as the weakling brother Oscar.

Very excited to see this latest production, and may try to see it twice, just to savor these two great actresses.

HBBrock
#47THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/9/17 at 2:53pm

How is the front row for this show? High stage?

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#48THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/9/17 at 3:35pm

On that note how is mid mezzanine?

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#49THE LITTLE FOXES Previews
Posted: 4/9/17 at 6:28pm

Has anyone sat in the rush seats via TODAY TIX?

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'