WAR PAINT Reviews

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#50WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 12:15am

Yes, Brantley's opinion can change for better or worse when he returns to a show.

For the better: Patti's Gypsy (Encores to Broadway)

For the worse: A Little Night Music revival (London to Broadway)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#51WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 12:33am

Time Out NY 3/5 Stars. Mixed on the show, love the ladies (recurring theme).

There are two excellent reasons to see War Paint, and their names are above the title. As Rubinstein, a Jewish immigrant with a Polish accent and a penchant for gaudy jewels, LuPone owns the stage with the confidence of someone who knows she has earned it; her gloriously rich singing sweeps all else aside.  And the two distinct modes of Ebersole’s voice—the lovely head range and the brassier chest—are well-suited to the contraditions of the genteel Arden, an Ontario farm girl who became high society’s beauty queen.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/theater/war-paint

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#52WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 12:36am

Newsday is mostly Positive, but wishes for a little more from the score.

"War Paint” may not be one of the great musicals, but it is an enormously satisfying one. Yes, it is a showcase for established artists hungry for new material. But the show, sleekly and compassionately directed by Michael Greif and created by the team that made the haunting “Grey Gardens,” looks at American women from 1934 to 1964 through a new lens — from the lives of two business titans who took lipstick from harlots to high society.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/theater/war-paint-review-patti-lupone-christine-ebersole-as-cosmetics-queens-rubinstein-arden-1.13372028

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#53WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 12:40am

Have the Associated Press and NY Post stopped regularly reviewing Broadway shows? 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#54WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 1:08am

An aside....

I heard Hillary attended the opening and got a standing ovation. I passed by the Gotham where the party was held at about 11:00 and it looked packed.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 4/7/17 at 01:08 AM

ntrackbar Profile Photo
ntrackbar
#55WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 1:09am

ljay889 said: "Have the Associated Press and NY Post stopped regularly reviewing Broadway shows? 

"

Associated Press has stopped apparently. Not sure about NYP. 

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#56WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 1:17am

I don't think ThePone will like that Ebersole got the last. better word in Brantley's review, even though he praised them both.   Is Patti's "diction" really made fun of in her songs? Or is it the combination of diction versus accent?

froote
#58WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 1:50am

Since when do a bunch of mixed reviews gurantee a Best Musical nomination?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#59WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 1:59am

I am over the comparisons to "Feud".

Just give the world Love.

AngusN
#60WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 3:13am

Jeremy Gerard, Deadline: (Adding to the muddle, LuPone's heavy, unplaceable accent makes her frequently difficult to understand.)

Haha! Has he never seen LuPone before? It's the same in every show. 

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#61WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 7:00am

https://www.show-score.com/broadway-shows/war-paint

It sounds like the show has changed little since Chicago. The book still leaves the women with no one to play off of and no larger cause to fight for. The score still doesn't give them a brassy duet. The closest they had to that, "A Woman's Face," has been cut. 

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#62WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 8:04am

I'm reminded of "The Rink"'s reception in the 80s. Two powerhouses, a show that was mostly received as "meh."  This show, while criticized, is given more points for ambition. (the McNally book for "Rink" was ridiculed cruelly.) But in terms of commercial viability being tethered to stars, "The Rink" is a useful enough model, even if neither lady here has the international stardom of Minnelli. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#63WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 8:05am

Entertainment Weekly is mostly positive, and loves the final scene (might be a spoiler if you really don't want to know anything). Gives it an A-

"

One of the best scenes is the finale: an invention of the authors, in which Rubinstein and Arden finally meet for the first time ever while in a green room before a speaking engagement. Years have passed — both women walk a bit slower; Arden carries a cane — and after huffs and puffs, in their own way, the moguls come to an understanding. They compare lipstick application tips, admit to — gasp! — admiring each other’s products, and finally sing in unison, questioning whether they helped to free or enslave women.

War Paint isn’t perfect, but it’s a thing of beauty for sure."

http://ew.com/theater/2017/04/06/war-paint-broadway-review/

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#64WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 8:28am

Happy to see LuPone and Ebersole getting the raves they deserve. They are the only true reason to see this production, which feels more like a stellar Encores mounting of a long-forgotten flop musical of yesteryear than an original, contemporary one. The good news is that, as long as it recoups before the leading ladies depart, it will most definitely not flop. I thought it was a total snooze with a sometimes willfully ugly score ("Pink" being the exception) and two exceptional lead performances from two of musical theatre's greatest actors.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#65WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 8:34am

No surprises in these reviews - good for the gals, not so good for the show. I have a feeling that it will close before it recoups; there's just too much competition for the tourist mob's attention (and how many of them care about [or have even heard of] Christine Ebersole, Elizabeth Arden, or Helena Rubenstein?).

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#66WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 8:38am

newintown said: "No surprises in these reviews - good for the gals, not so good for the show. I have a feeling that it will close before it recoups; there's just too much competition for the tourist mob's attention (and how many of them care about [or have even heard of] Christine Ebersole, Elizabeth Arden, or Helena Rubenstein?)."

They are rumored to have an almost 10 million dollar advance. I'd wager to say it's doing much better than some other new musicals this spring.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#67WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 8:57am

I'm very pleasantly surprised with these reviews and think the majority of them hit the mark. It's not an exceptional musical, but the score really allows its two leading ladies to shine. With the exception of a few overall negative notices, I'd say the majority of these reviews are mixed-to-positive rather than mixed-to-negative. I read a lot of great notices for most of the score, especially the two eleven o'clock numbers, much of the design, and the ambition of the book, which sadly falls apart in its execution.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#68WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 9:03am

I agree, Piano. There was only one pan, and that's fine. Most critics seemed to have a lot of respect for the show while noting its shortcomings. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#69WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 9:16am

The Washington Post is Positive, while noting its more edifying than exciting.

? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/04/06/lupone-and-ebersole-together-in-the-footlights-in-broadways-war-paint/?utm_term=.86b9e38d2add?

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#70WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 9:20am

This slate of reviews seems fair to me- it's a frustrating show without a doubt, but it's not a disaster in any way, and LuPone and Ebersole are in rare form. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#71WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 10:08am

I've seen several critics note that, for all its flaws, they would not have missed the production.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

broadwayboy223
#72WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 10:30am

I think this really is a special show. I'm so glad I caught it in Chicago. I hope I can catch it this summer in NYC. 

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#73WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 10:35am

Kad said: "I've seen several critics note that, for all its flaws, they would not have missed the production."

Because the chance to see these two, together, at the top of their vocal game, in roles tailor-made for them, is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. 

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#74WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 10:56am

givesmevoice said: "Kad said: "I've seen several critics note that, for all its flaws, they would not have missed the production."

Because the chance to see these two, together, at the top of their vocal game, in roles tailor-made for them, is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. 

"

Exactly, and I'm sure the producers are banking on this for the box office. There's certainly enough great pull quotes. Some Tony nominations won't hurt. And how wonderul would it be to see them sing "Face to Face" on the Tonys?

Updated On: 4/7/17 at 10:56 AM