WAR PAINT Reviews

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#75WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 11:26am

ljay889 said: "givesmevoice said: "Kad said: "I've seen several critics note that, for all its flaws, they would not have missed the production."

Because the chance to see these two, together, at the top of their vocal game, in roles tailor-made for them, is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. 
"

Exactly, and I'm sure the producers are banking on this for the box office. There's certainly enough great pull quotes. Some Tony nominations won't hurt. And how wonderul would it be to see them sing "Face to Face" on the Tonys?
"

THAT is all I want.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#76WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 11:35am

After reading all the reviews, this sounds pretty much like the show I saw last year in Chicago. Long, uninvolving book, pedestrian songs, dull musical staging. It's about the women, and while they are both terrific, there's really nothing for them to play but stereotypes. Reviews were better than expected, but once the target audience has been exhausted, who's going to plunk down full price for this show? And stating that it's better than DEH...what kind of drugs are you on? Give the women their due, but this show will not be around much beyond year-end, and I think Midler has a lock on the Tony.

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#77WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 11:56am

It's interesting. A few critics said that the show is good, but doesn't pay off in the end. Exact opposite of Grey Gardens.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#78WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 12:04pm

Thank you thank you thank you for posting the reviews like they should be with a little quote or 'negative, Mixed, Positive* . The other guy who's been doing them is crap. 

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Butter Broadway
#79WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 6:50pm

There's no B roll for this show?

MsDesmond1995 Profile Photo
MsDesmond1995
#80WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 7:37pm

I think we LuPone/Ebersole fans can breathe a sigh of relief now that the reviews are out. They may not be raves across the board for every element of the show, but it was way more than I thought the show was ever going to get given the word of mouth on these boards. I didn't see it in Chicago and haven't seen it yet on Broadway (seeing May 28th), but I had my doubts..which have all been assuaged.

I've only seen Patti in Gypsy, Sweeney and in concert, and Christine only in Grey Gardens... so I've never seen them in less than stellar shows. And I didn't want to start now. smiley

Updated On: 4/7/17 at 07:37 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#81WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 1:59am

WAR PAINT Reviewsuncageg said: "An aside....

I heard Hillary attended the opening and got a standing ovation. I passed by the Gotham where the party was held at about 11:00 and it looked packed.

"

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Butter Broadway
#82WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/9/17 at 2:47pm

This show is so damn good. Just needs some tweaking. Patti needs a better opening song. Wanted more interaction from the ladies. Some of the jokes were easy stupid ones.  Behind the Red Door is so damn catchy, I wish the rest of the score was as tuneful. Definitely worth seeing. 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#83WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/9/17 at 2:48pm

Dear god, those costumes are gorgeous!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#84WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/10/17 at 12:12am

WAR PAINT Reviewsicecreambenjamin said: "Dear god, those costumes are gorgeous!

"

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/10/17 at 12:12 AM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#85WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/10/17 at 12:13am

WAR PAINT Reviews

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#86WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/11/17 at 8:09am

I saw War Paint for the second time this past weekend, and I loved the show even more the second time around. The score for this show is *perfectly* tailored to the two diva's voices, and it is such a treat to hear them both sing this truly wonderful score. The production values are all top notch. The set is one of the slickest I have seen with its movement and transitions. The costumes are stunning. This is such a special show, and it is a great opportunity to see two of Broadway's best leading ladies doing what they do best.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ladypresent
#87WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/11/17 at 9:48am

i haven't see the show but just wondering, are there any guys in this show? 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#88WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/11/17 at 9:50am

ladypresent said: "i haven't see the show but just wondering, are there any guys in this show? "

Yes, five to be exact (not counting swings). Douglas Sills & John Dossett are the large featured male roles, with Erik Liberman playing Charles Revson. There are also two ensemble males.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#89WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/11/17 at 9:50am

A handful (5?), but not so's anyone would notice. Dossett and Sills have two of the worst songs ever written, that are obviously only in the score to give the ladies a break. There are 2 (3?) older ensemble guys, who are obviously understudies, and one younger ensemble guy (that I noticed), who doubles as Charles Revson.

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#90WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/11/17 at 10:54am

I went into this show knowing that what I paid for was essentially to hear Patti and Christine belt their faces off.  And I wasn't disappointed what-so-ever.  I felt the book was shallow and they could have added so much more to the story, but honestly I only went to hear Patti and Christine so I was VERY satisfied.  They sounded fricken fantastic.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#91WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/12/17 at 8:38pm

Was there this afternoon, with little to add. The intersection of these two careers is the event, and what an event it is. In the last 20 minutes, my misgivings (mostly about act one, which certainly treads water and spends a lot of time shuffling the two men) didn't melt, but they were replaced with a steady appreciation of what this show accomplishes: a heartfelt paean to women and their ageless accomplishment.  Illustrated first and foremost by these two stars, at the top of their game. The crowning three numbers and the obligatory scene (even if fictional) are so beautifully wrought, it all starts to matter -- admittedly on the late side. A good finish matters, and with this show, it casts an artful shadow over much of what comes before. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

kmac23 Profile Photo
kmac23
#92WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 5/1/17 at 2:35pm

I was so excited to see this show and left quite disappointed. I had a million questions about the characters - felt like I didn't really get a good story about WHO they actually WERE as people. Just about their careers and conflict. That really upset me. I wanted to know more about these 2 wmn. I wanted more depth.

Another complaint: I couldn't understand what the hell LuPone was singing half the time. At intermission I asked my friend and another patron sitting near by if they also had issues... both were quite eager to discuss this with me and said they took comfort in knowing they weren't alone in trying to understanding some of the lyrics LuPone was singing. This was my first time seeing LuPone live - and while I do thing she is an incredible talent and a brilliant actress - if I can't understand what the hell you're singing... That's a problem for me.

Capeguy Profile Photo
Capeguy
#93WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 5/1/17 at 5:45pm

Love Patti but that accent began to wear on me after awhile. I also had trouble understanding some of the lyrics. Christine sounded great.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#94WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 5/9/17 at 8:48am

"Give 'em that big finish, and just forget what came before..."

On-topic, the show is now up on BroadwayBox with a discount good until September.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#95WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 5/14/17 at 3:25pm

The CBS special intersperses some nice clips from the show with interviews and clips from the documentary. It also shows the struggle of the libretto. The segment sums up the Rubenstien / Arden feud in about 6 minutes. There's not enough story to fill out a 155 minute show.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/war-paint-the-ugly-fight-over-the-business-of-beauty/

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#96WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 5/14/17 at 7:35pm

That was a great feature, and has some really lovely clips from the show. 

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#97WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 6/27/17 at 9:10am

bwayphreak234 said: "I saw War Paint for the second time this past weekend, and I loved the show even more the second time around. The score for this show is *perfectly* tailored to the two diva's voices, and it is such a treat to hear them both sing this truly wonderful score. The production values are all top notch. The set is one of the slickest I have seen with its movement and transitions. The costumes are stunning. This is such a special show, and it is a great opportunity to see two of Broadway's best leading ladies doing what they do best."

I saw it again this past weekend and I too thought LOVED it even more the second time around.  I know that's odd for the Bway show since they don't expect people to go back more than once.  They were all on at the Sat matinee.  I think the acoustics are terrible in this theatre so I got the ear phones and could hear every note.  Unfortunately or fortunately, it was direct from the sound board so you couldn't really hear people laughing or clapping.  Both actresses really excelled and got even more laughter at different bits.  Because I had seen it before I could focus on various things unlike the first time when I didn't know who was going to say/sing what each time especially when part of the stage was dark.  Even the number "Dinosaurs" didn't bother me this time.  All the scenes with Rubinstein on the bed were killer.  Patti milked it for all it's worth.  Even Ebersole had to hold for huge laughter.  Second time was definitely the charm.  Hope to catch it again.

broadwayboy223
#98WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 8/4/17 at 7:01pm

This show is so good. After seeing it for a second time I had a vision of a follies revival or production with Christine as Sally and Patti as Phyllis. It would be incredible