pixeltracker

Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production

Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production

Willie4316
#1Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 2:28pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/REBECCA-Producers-Have-Officially-Lost-Rights-to-Bring-the-Ill-Fated-Musical-to-Broadway-20170424

Not quite what I was expecting. The show itself I think would do extremely well if it ever makes its way here

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#2Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 2:32pm

This is good though, right? Now another producing team could bring it in.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#3Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 2:33pm

Janet Rosen may be looking for a new product.

(I hope that doesn't make Chesney Snow upset...)

Updated On: 4/24/17 at 02:33 PM

Willie4316
#4Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 2:36pm

Call_me_jorge said: "This is good though, right? Now another producing team could bring it in."

It's good in the sense that another team can bring it in, the question is who and how long? 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#5Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 2:48pm

This is very sad for Mr. Sprecher, who has been working away at this for a very long time. I do, however, hope that someone finally gets the show on stage.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

sparepart973
#6Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 2:50pm

I honestly think the US isn't the right place for it. The press will slaughter it. 

Then again..Les Miz, Cats and now Miss Saigon have made a come back and are/were all doing rather great to okay at the box office, and this show is of the same ilk. 

It IS beautifully staged-- I saw it in Stuttgart a few times and it's gorgeous to look at and if you're into a big Eurotrash pop melodrama score, this is a go to show. But some of the book scenes are absolutely exhausting to sit through. I'm surprised it didn't find its way back to Vienna where it all started. 

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#7Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 2:55pm

I feel bad for Sprecher too. I wonder if he can sell the set parts that are already built?

I was very excited for this - but I too think the press will slaughter it. They need some changes (especially the orchestration!) but for the most part was on the right track. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#8Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 2:56pm

philly03 said: "I feel bad for Sprecher too. I wonder if he can sell the set parts that are already built?"

Yeah, there is reportedly a warehouse somewhere filled with the set pieces.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#9Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 2:59pm

If this ever happens on Broadway...Pia Douwes must star as Mrs. Danvers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG9_bPitrqY

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#10Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 3:01pm

Lot666 said: "philly03 said: "I feel bad for Sprecher too. I wonder if he can sell the set parts that are already built?"

"The Broadhurst should be available by next spring as it was built to fit there!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#11Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 3:06pm

This is now a toxic property. No one will want to touch it- and frankly, all the talk of the producers thinking how sure of hit this was gonna be was delusional.

This was ready-made to flop on a contemporary Broadway stage. The behind-the-scenes imbroglio will end up being the most interesting thing about it.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/24/17 at 03:06 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#12Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 3:12pm

Robbie2 said: "Lot666 said: "philly03 said: "I feel bad for Sprecher too. I wonder if he can sell the set parts that are already built?"

"The Broadhurst should be available by next spring as it was built to fit there!

"

Do you really think Anastasia will only last a year?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#13Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 3:36pm

The behind the scenes is so interesting - really hope someone writes a book about it. Remember when it was going to play the Shaftesbury in London and they went to dig under the stage the space filled up with water? One of the English lyrics in "She's Invincible" is "she's unsinkable".... 

Not to mention all the people cast over the years: Pia Douwes, Julian Ovenden, Carolee Carmello, Lisa O'Hare, Jill Paice, etc... of course Sierra Boggess who the producers really wanted and even allowed her then-fiance Tam Matu to star alongside her if she did.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#14Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 3:51pm

NOT SINCE REBECCA...a portrait of the Broadway could-have-beens...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Alexander Lamar
#15Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 4:11pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a show about the drama behind this. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#16Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 5:07pm

Robbie2 said: "If this ever happens on Broadway...Pia Douwes must star as Mrs. Danvers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG9_bPitrqY
"

Ms. Douwes is mad and fabulous.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#17Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 5:08pm

Robbie2 said: "Lot666 said: "philly03 said: "I feel bad for Sprecher too. I wonder if he can sell the set parts that are already built?"

"

Don't remind me - I still have my pair of tickets for what was supposed to be opening night. I can't bring myself to trash them.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#18Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 5:18pm

Kad said: "This is now a toxic property. No one will want to touch it- and frankly, all the talk of the producers thinking how sure of hit this was gonna be was delusional.

This was ready-made to flop on a contemporary Broadway stage. The behind-the-scenes imbroglio will end up being the most interesting thing about it.
"

I respectfully disagree. There's a difference between toxic and scandalous, and I believe the intrigue that has surrounded the show for several years now - "It's cursed!" - would only serve to heighten interest. The music that I've heard from the European productions is dark, grand, and dramatic, which suits the plot well, and if the lyrics are translated properly, it could be fabulous. I know a lot of people on this board enjoy trashing shows in the Phantom genre, but there is clearly an audience that enjoys this style (myself among them) and who would love to see it.

Updated On: 4/25/17 at 05:18 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#19Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 5:21pm

The audience that enjoys seeing shows in this style is largely not in America.

And "intrigue" is not something a production can hang its hat on.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/24/17 at 05:21 PM

10086sunset
#20Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 5:27pm

Share the same feelings as Kad about the property being toxic. 

This show will not be able to overcome the long and drawn out history. Every review, article, piece of publicity would mention the history of the production.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#21Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 5:29pm

sparepart973 said: "I honestly think the US isn't the right place for it. The press will slaughter it. 

Then again..Les Miz, Cats and now Miss Saigon have made a come back and are/were all doing rather great to okay at the box office, and this show is of the same ilk.
"

I wonder if the key word here is "back." Are American audiences more open to this kind of theater when it has a built in nostalgia factor? I think about something like A Tale of Two Cities. Not a good musical, but if it had opened in the early 90s, could it have had some legs? It felt more of that time. Rebecca does too. And I just wonder if, minus the expectations of seeing something that we know is a revival, this style just can't be sustained right now. So...I think I'm agreeing with you. 100% on the first part in spite of the second part if that makes sense!

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#22Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 6:16pm

Lot666 said: "I respectfully disagree. There's a difference between toxic and scandalous, and I believe the intrigue that has surrounded the show for several years now ( "It's cursed!" Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production would only serve to heighten interest."

In the behind-the-scenes story, maybe.

"The music that I've heard from the European productions is dark, grand, and dramatic, which suits the plot well, and if the lyrics are translated properly, it could be fabulous. I know a lot of people on this board enjoy trashing shows in the Phantom genre, but there is clearly an audience that enjoys this style (myself among them) and who would love to see it."

Yes, but that audience is not nearly big enough to keep it running. Commercially, this show would be D.O.A.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

broadwayboy223
#23Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 7:21pm

So if it's never ever going to happen why do they keep posting on the Rebecca page? I would really like to see this come to Broadway. It's probably not going to happen I guess :/ 

Willie4316
#24Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 7:25pm

broadwayboy223 said: "So if it's never ever going to happen why do they keep posting on the Rebecca page? I would really like to see this come to Broadway. It's probably not going to happen I guess :/ "

Not necessarily. It's not that its never coming, more of a change in management which could be for better or for worse. 

JustAnotherNewYorker
#25Rebecca Producers Have Lost Right to Broadway Production
Posted: 4/24/17 at 7:26pm

Alexander Lamar said: "I wouldn't mind seeing a show about the drama behind this. "

This sounds exactly like the kind of program that 54 Below should run...