pixeltracker

Official 2017 TONY Nominations Thread- Page 4

Official 2017 TONY Nominations Thread

bexplex
#75Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:06am

Skimbleshanks2 said: "THREE-TIME TONY NOMINEE ANDY KARL!!!!!

GROUNDHOG did better than I anticipated... but it's sorta like voters only saw the four nominated musicals LOL... Can he beat BEN PLATT??? Or is it a done deal??

I hope ANDREW RANNELLS or BRANDON URANOWITZ wins FEATURED!!!!!

"

I'm pulling a Kanye west if Ben platt doesn't win from my balcony seat. 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#76Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:07am

Hooray Natasha and Doll's House!! I wonder if Doll's House getting the most play nominations puts it in a competitive position with Oslo, which felt like the early frontrunner. Also pleased at all the love for Jitney, though I guess that was fairly expected. 

Very surprised at Mike Faist, but he was a real stand-out for me in that show, so good for him. 

Gideon Glick absolutely should have been nominated. I love Jefferson Mays, but nothing he is doing in that show is remotely on the same level. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#77Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:08am

Is A DOLL'S HOUSE going to win Play? I have so many questions... I was hoping this would be LAURA LINNEY's year but ... I just don't know...

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

bexplex
#78Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:08am

MaddieBB12 said: "The only categories I got totally right was Direction of Musical, and Best Musical.

SHOCKED about Anastasia!

I'm pretty sure "Sunset Boulevard" was also shut out...I thought Orchestrations At LEAST was a lock. 

DEH's total is kinda low, IMO, but they got shut out of a few of the technical things, but I'll say it again, MIKE FAIST HOLY SH*T. 

GOOD for Falsettos. It is always nice to see closed shows get love. ALSO, should be interesting to see how "Charlie" markets that: they DO have a 2017 Tony Nominee as their lead. Just...not for that show.

"

Not really surprising their total is Lower. It's not a show with costumes, crazy sets, dancing. So it has less to work with regarding a lot of the nominations like that. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#79Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:09am

I am SUPREMELY PISSED that Allison Janney did not pick up a nod for SIX DEGREES, but I'm thrilled for Corey Hawkins.

I think Mary Beth Peil totally deserved that nod, especially being the more somber/least flashy of the two featured actress roles. I was pulling for Altomare though.

I think these nominations may also have saved ADH:P2...

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

bexplex
#80Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:10am

quizking101 said: "I am SUPREMELY PISSED that Allison Janney did not pick up a nod for SIX DEGREES, but I'm thrilled for Corey Hawkins.

I think Mary Beth Peil totally deserved that nod, especially being the more somber/least flashy of the two featured actress roles. I was pulling for Altomare though.

I think these nominations may also have saved ADH:P2...

"

It's ok she has enough emmys she didn't deserve 

MadsonMelo
#81Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:11am

The only nom that DEH didn't get that it was supposedly to get was scenic design. It was never getting costume and they don't have choreography, but they got Mike Faist and that's a PLUS. It's still the front-runner.

RJ14
#82Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:12am

JankiH2 said: "YAY! So happy for Eva! "Unfortunately" I do think Bette (who I love love love) will win (not saying I think she is better than Eva, but hey politics), but so glad Eva got a nomination, thought she was snubbed at the Oliviers <3

"

um I'm sorry but saying Bette will win because of politics is the craziest thing ever!!!!!!! Bette deserves to win because yes she IS better than anyone in that category.

I'm happy with the nominations esp Hello, Dolly! and Falsettos and yes thank god no Charlie

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#83Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:15am

Why are Laura Linney & Cynthia Nixon in different categories for playing the same roles?

Nycat63
#84Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:17am

mariel9 said: "Why are Laura Linney & Cynthia Nixon in different categories for playing the same roles?

"They go by who plays the parts on opening night so it would have been a decision made by the production team.  

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#85Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:17am

Wow. GREAT COMET leads by 2 even with no Supporting Actress noms. Good for them! I’m also very pleased with all of the GROUNDHOG DAY and FALSETTOS recognition. Aside from Amber Gray not being nominated, this is a pretty solid pack.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#86Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:19am

Thrilled that Great Comet is leading the pack. TWELVE Tony nominations is nothing to scoff at!

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#87Official TONY Nominations Thread

ljay889 said: "Well they hated War Paint, LOL."

Makes me sad...

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

MadsonMelo
#88Official TONY Nominations Thread

Any doubt that Metcalf is winning or Linney is a threat?

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#89Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:20am

bexplex said: "I'm pulling a Kanye west if Ben platt doesn't win from my balcony seat. "

Is that where you're expecting he'll be performing??  (Sorry, had to. wink)

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#90Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:21am

So did Linney and Nixon get nominated for both of their performances or just one character? I still need to see that one, just was waiting  a bit to see what the better one was to see since I don't think I'd want to go twice. 

MadsonMelo
#91Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:22am

Broadway Joe said: "So did Linney and Nixon get nominated for both of their performances or just one character? I still need to see that one, just was waiting  a bit to see what the better one was to see since I don't think I'd want to go twice. 

"

Linney as Regina and Nixon as Birdie.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#92Official TONY Nominations Thread

The Tony Awards website's nominee page looks great with the playbills and brief description and easy organization by shows and categories

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#93Official TONY Nominations Thread

Scarlet Leigh said: "The shocking Musical moments for me, both good and bad...

- No 5th slot? Wow! With all the shows this year that almost feels like a slap in the face to the likes of Anastasia, War Paint, and Bandstand that they didn't come close enough.

It looks like there was wide agreement on the top 4 musicals, then the next tier split the votes between them so no one second tier show got the close fifth place finish needed to earn that extra slot. Really, any one of the shows you mention deserve that extra slot, but to get there they had to be the only good unnominated musical, which was not the case. 

The system is designed to keep wretched musicals off the list in a weak season. But in a strong season like this year it can have the unintended consequence of vote splitting keeping strong contenders out of the category as well.

Updated On: 5/2/17 at 09:22 AM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#94Official TONY Nominations Thread

I'd bet the bank on Metcalfe winning. Firstly, she owns the play and much of the 90 minute dialogue is hers, secondly she is considered long over due, thirdly, the play is perhaps now the front runner for Best Play.

Assuming the Tony voters only see THE LITTLE FOXES once, only half of them will actually see Linney in the role of Regina (the role she is nominated for).

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 5/2/17 at 09:22 AM

Nycat63
#95Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:26am

QueenAlice said: "I'd bet the bank on Metcalfe winning. Firstly, she owns the play and much of the 90 minute dialogue is hers, secondly she is considered long over due, thirdly, the play is perhaps now the front runner for Best Play.

Assuming the Tony voters only see THE LITTLE FOXES once, only half of them will actually see Linney in the role of Regina (the role she is nominated for).

"Tony voters have probably planned on seeing the Little Foxes on nights the actresses are playing their nominated roles.  They knew eligibility in advance.  It was always Linney as lead and Nixon as featured (if they were nominated) bc that's how the show opened.  

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#96Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:26am

QueenAlice said: "I'd bet the bank on Metcalfe winning. Firstly, she owns the play and much of the 90 minute dialogue is hers, secondly she is considered long over due, thirdly, the play is perhaps now the front runner for Best Play.

"

I believe they are only inviting Tony voters to performances where Linney is Regina and Nixon is Birdie.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

nsguy45 Profile Photo
nsguy45
#97Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:27am

Was the Sally Field nomination expected?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#98Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:28am

EDIT: Others beat me to it

Updated On: 5/2/17 at 09:28 AM

nsguy45 Profile Photo
nsguy45
#99Official TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:28am

Bandstand was robbed.

Videos