pixeltracker

Official Way Too Early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread- Page 21

Official Way Too Early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread

qafgenius122
#500Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 10:51am

To everyone hoping Kenita Miller gets a nomination, the Drama Desks just gave her one, so never say never....

rjm516
#501Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 10:56am

One of the few good decisions from the Drama Desks! I really want Kenita to get a Tony nom; she is my most-wanted longshot nom this year I think. 

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#502Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 10:56am

Can we use... any of these Drama Desk nominations as an indication of how things will go Tuesday? Because I kinda feel like absolutely not.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#503Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 11:38am

Are we thinking perhaps Ashley Park may get a nomination over (or with?) Weed? I can't imagine Kate Rockwell not being recognized, but it seems to me that two of the three ladies will be nominated. 

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#504Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 12:06pm

CindersGolightly said: "Are we thinking perhaps Ashley Park may get a nomination over (or with?) Weed? I can't imagine Kate Rockwell not being recognized, but it seems to me that two of the three ladies will be nominated."

I think it would be a crime not to nominate Kate Rockwell, she for sure made the show x10 more times enjoyable.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#505Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 12:11pm

Rockwell was easily the best performance of the show. I’d be mad if she doesn’t get a nomination.

Park has a lot of momentum after getting OCC, Drama Desk, AND Drama League nominations. I predict she’ll score a nom on Tuesday.

Weed will likely not be recognized.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#506Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 12:15pm

CindersGolightly said: "Are we thinking perhaps Ashley Park may get a nomination over (or with?) Weed? I can't imagine Kate Rockwell not being recognized, but it seems to me that two of the three ladies will be nominated."

I think so much of this depends on whether Taylor Louderman is considered Lead or Featured. If she's in Lead, my gut says that Rockwell and Weed will both get Featured noms. My guess is that Park is going to get shut out, though who knows. If Louderman is in Featured... I think it'll be her and Weed. Though it's such a crowded category this year (for both men and women) so it's anyone's guess who the lucky five will be. 

Updated On: 4/26/18 at 12:15 PM

benwilsonn.xo
#507Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 12:26pm

Can’t believe Alex Newell wasn’t nominated for Best Featured Actor in a Musical at the Drama Desk Awards, although I think that he’ll be nominated in Tuesday.

JudyDenmark
#508Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 8:31pm

I’m at intermission at SpongeBob, and I’m finding it crazy that some of these actors are not being talked about more. (And I haven’t even gotten to Gavin Lee’s big number.)

Seriously... the Actor Who I’m Not A Fan Of Because I Think He Half-Asses His Performance More And More Every Time is considered a frontrunner for Featured Actor... for yelling out one song... and these guys are working their asses off for an entire show and are are not in the conversation??

Gavin Lee should *definitely* be nominated. If the category was bigger, I’d say Danny Skinner should be nominated too.

It’s a shame this show isn’t being taken more seriously, recent critics award noms aside. It’s silly and frivolous and weird (that’s SpongeBob), and I can totally understand how this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but man is there a lot of talent involved here, both on stage and off. They should be given more credit and respect than they’re getting for both the creativity and the delivery.

Ok, carry on.

Danielle49
#509Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 8:54pm

JudyDenmark said: "Seriously... the Actor Who I’m Not A Fan Of Because I Think He Half-Asses His Performance More And More Every Time is considered a frontrunner for Featured Actor... for yelling out one song... and these guys are working their asses off for an entire show and are are not in the conversation??

Gavin Lee should *definitely* be nominated. If the category was bigger, I’d say Danny Skinner should be nominated too.

It’s a shame this show isn’t being taken more seriously, recent critics award noms aside. It’s silly and frivolous and weird (that’s SpongeBob), and I can totally understand how this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but man is there a lot of talent involved here, both on stage and off. They should be given more credit and respect than they’re getting for both the creativity and the delivery.

Ok, carry on.
"

I agree. I'm pleasantly surprised that SpongeBob is getting the recognition it deserves in the technical categories, and would love to see Gavin Lee nominated for his performance along with that. Danny Skinner wasn't a standout for me because his role is a little underdeveloped. I loved Wesley Taylor a lot but he hasn't even been in the conversation. Ethan Slater is of course brilliant - and considering the reception Hadden-Paton received, it's beginning to look like a race between Slater and Henry. I really hope Tony voters take the show seriously, and appreciate it for its creativity.

I also was not a fan of Newell's performance - what I saw was loud, unintelligible vocals during one song and little else. When the lights weren't on him, he was not in it at all, just looking around aimlessly. You can't hide slip-ups or be lazy in the round. Audience members will notice. But folks seem to be loving him and the category is crowded with no universal standouts. My favorite supporting actor this season was actually John Cariani, but I doubt he'll appear on Tuesday. I suppose we'll see what happens.

Updated On: 4/26/18 at 08:54 PM

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#510Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 9:38pm

I agree that John Cariani is my favorite supporting male performance of the year. His part is so funny, but is just so melancholy. I just loved the work that he's doing in that show. It's not showy or anything, but he's doing amazing, nuanced work, much like Kenita Miller is in Once on this Island.

I really loved Alex the night that I saw him. He was engaged at all times and his reactions were actually some of the best stuff in the show. His vocals were great and he brought some wonderful warmth and humor to the show and he recieved a much deserved standing O after Mama Will Provide. He may have just one song, but, at least on the night I saw him, he was doing some brilliant work outside of it. Unfortunately, it sounds like he gives a bit of an inconsistent performance.

At this point, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I would vote for Katrina Lenk, Tony Shalhoub, John Cariani, and Kenita Miller. All four are giving wonderfully understated and nuanced performances from the heart. They're not trying to be showy, but give beautifully human performances.

JudyDenmark
#511Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 9:46pm

Danielle49 said. “I also was not a fan of Newell's performance -what I saw was loud, unintelligible vocals during one song and little else. When the lights weren't on him, he was not in it at all, just looking around aimlessly. You can't hide slip-ups or be lazy in the round. Audience members will notice. But folks seem to be loving him and the category is crowded with no universal standouts. My favorite supporting actor this season was actually John Cariani, but I doubt he'll appear on Tuesday. I suppose we'll see what happens."

Looking around aimlessly is exactly it. I’ve seen OOTI three times (twice in December and then again in March) and it genuinely felt like he gave less of a sh*t each time. The first time I saw it - which was the Saturday night before Sunday opening so everyone should’ve been ON it - in the preshow when everyone’s walking around and completely invested in what they’re doing, he was literally walking aimlessly by himself and vocalizing under his breath. When I saw it again in March, he didn’t even do the money notes at the end of Pray or Mama Will Provide - he took it down the octave. And maybe he was sick, who knows, but when you’re on Broadway it doesn’t matter. (Can you imagine an Elphaba half-assing the end of Defying Gravity?? People would revolt.) And it sticks out like a sore thumb because the entire rest of the cast is LIVING on that stage. Anyway, I guess it just bothers me that so many people are flipping out over his performance when to me it’s pretty lazy. It really doesn’t matter to me who ends up winning at this point, but I want it to go to someone who is absolutely giving it his all, 8 shows a week. And I don’t think he deserves that accolade.

We’ll see what happens on Tuesday! Personally I’m pulling for Etai Benson, but in an overcrowded category I’m not holding my breath. :)

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#512Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 9:55pm

As I sit here thinking, I really hope that Ariel Stachel and John Cariani and maybe Etai Benson are all nominated. I don't think Butz, Newell, Lee, Henson, or any of the other possible nominees give as complex or beautiful performances as the men in The Band's Visit do.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#513Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 10:04pm

Just hand the Tony to Katrina Lenk. She's magnificent and no one can touch that performance. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#514Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 10:39pm

JudyDenmark said: "When I saw it again in March, he didn’t even do the moneynotes at the end of Pray or Mama Will Provide - he took it down the octave. And maybe he was sick, who knows, but when you’re on Broadway it doesn’t matter. (Canyou imagine an Elphaba half-assing the end of Defying Gravity?? People would revolt.) And it sticks out like a sore thumb because the entire rest of the cast is LIVING on that stage. Anyway, I guess it just bothers me that so many people are flipping out over his performance when to me it’s pretty lazy. It really doesn’t matter to me who ends up winning at this point, but I want it to go to someone who is absolutely giving it his all, 8 shows a week. And I don’t think he deserves that accolade."

I also saw the show in March and I know that when I saw it, he also optioned down. He said on social media that he had laryngitis or something. He was calling out several times around that time. Those producers also work him hard making him do appearances everywhere, so I bet he wasn’t getting much rest. They also don’t want him calling out a lot because Tony season etc. I’m not giving excuses for him appearing lazy in the show, but I do know he said he was having vocal issues in March. I personally thought he still sold his number, but maybe we saw different nights. I think he’d be a great representative of the ensemble if he were nominated. (And please let Kenita get a nod for her beautiful work.)

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#515Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 10:55pm

HeyMrMusic said: "JudyDenmark said: "When I saw it again in March, he didn’t even do the moneynotes at the end of Pray or Mama Will Provide - he took it down the octave. And maybe he was sick, who knows, but when you’re on Broadway it doesn’t matter. (Canyou imagine an Elphaba half-assing the end of Defying Gravity?? People would revolt.) And it sticks out like a sore thumb because the entire rest of the cast is LIVING on that stage. Anyway, I guess it just bothers me that so many people are flipping out over his performance when to me it’s pretty lazy. It really doesn’t matter to me who ends up winning at this point, but I want it to go to someone who is absolutely giving it hisall, 8 shows a week. And I don’t think he deserves that accolade."

I also saw the show in March and I know that when I saw it, he alsooptioned down. He said on social media that he had laryngitis or something. He was calling out several times around that time. Those producers also work him hard making him do appearances everywhere, so I bet he wasn’t getting much rest. They also don’t want him calling out a lot because Tony season etc. I’m not giving excuses for him appearing lazy in the show, but I do know he said he was having vocal issues in March. I personally thought he still sold his number, but maybe we saw different nights. I think he’d be a great representative of the ensemble if he were nominated. (And please let Kenita get a nod for her beautiful work.)
"

Kenita and Hailey are the folks I will be crushed about if they don't receive nominations. Alex also tempered the songs when I saw them perform. Again, not a stage vet with the training. Might not be used to 8 shows a week. Also, Lea is out a lot. She's been out when I have been there and many friends. Not sure whats going on for her. I prefer Darlesia's voice and take on the role anyhow.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#516Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 11:00pm

Lea has lots of contractual days off. I believe she’s only called out for sickness once or twice.

JudyDenmark
#517Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 11:21pm

I’m just rooting hard for Once On This Island in general. I hope it takes Revival. (To be fair, I haven’t seen MFL yet, and I’m sure I’ll enjoy it, but OOTI has easily been in my top three favorite shows since I saw the original when I was 11, I know that score backwards and forwards, and this production was more than I could’ve hoped for in a revival. It’s like they consulted the dreams I didn’t even know I had when writing the new vocal arrangements.)

Anyway, if Alex Newell ends up being the representative who wins, then so be it. I’ll be happy for the show. But I’d be disappointed because I’d want to see pretty much anyone else honored. I loved Isaac Powell’s take on Daniel. Quentin Earl Darrington gave me actual goosebumps throughout Rain. Phillip Boykin I think made me audibly weep when he came in with that resonant “Oh, Ti Moune” in A Part of Us. (...In my dream world, he’s a surprise nomination.) Lea’s Human Heart is perfection. Merle Dandridge’s new interpretation of Papa Ge was badass and so interesting. Hailey Kilgore nailed it and will get a well-deserved nomination. Kenita Miller was so heartbreakingly beautiful as Mama Euralie but maybe even more as an ensemble member watching Ti Moune in the second half. I hope that she is recognized on Tuesday.

I’ll stop gushing now. But yeah... there are a whole lot of names from that beautiful production that I’d like to see before Newell’s textbook take on Asaka. 

Updated On: 4/26/18 at 11:21 PM

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#518Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/26/18 at 11:43pm

I was not blown away by Alex Newell the first time I saw the show, because that was when I thought the Mother Earth character was played by a black woman. I thought she was a decent soulful black woman, but I’ve seen a lot of amazing powerful black women perform.

The second time I went in realizing now that the actor was a man! Now I was blown away by him singing Mama Will Provide and was probably the first person to my feet! So I’m a fan and would love to see him get some recognition.

Ahmy
#519Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/27/18 at 12:01am

Bettyboy72 said: "HeyMrMusic said: "JudyDenmark said: "When I saw it again in March, he didn’t even do the moneynotes at the end of Pray or Mama Will Provide - he took it down the octave. And maybe he was sick, who knows, but when you’re on Broadway it doesn’t matter. (Canyou imagine an Elphaba half-assing the end of Defying Gravity?? People would revolt.) And it sticks out like a sore thumb because the entire rest of the cast is LIVING on that stage. Anyway, I guess it just bothers me that so many people are flipping out over his performance when to me it’s pretty lazy. It really doesn’t matter to me who ends up winning at this point, but I want it to go to someone who is absolutely giving it hisall, 8 shows a week. And I don’t think he deserves that accolade."

I also saw the show in March and I know that when I saw it, he alsooptioned down. He said on social media that he had laryngitis or something. He was calling out several times around that time. Those producers also work him hard making him do appearances everywhere, so I bet he wasn’t getting much rest. They also don’t want him calling out a lot because Tony season etc. I’m not giving excuses for him appearing lazy in the show, but I do know he said he was having vocal issues in March. I personally thought he still sold his number, but maybe we saw different nights. I think he’d be a great representative of the ensemble if he were nominated. (And please let Kenita get a nod for her beautiful work.)
"

Kenita and Hailey are the folks I will be crushed about if they don't receive nominations. Alex also tempered the songs when I saw them perform. Again, not a stage vet with the training. Might not be used to 8 shows a week. Also, Lea is out a lot. She's been out when I have been thereand many friends. Not sure whats going on for her. I prefer Darlesia's voice and take on the role anyhow.

"

The first time I saw the show, Alex was on and he didn't sound healthy for sure. Lea was out both times (first for vacation and the 2nd was strep). Loren went on for Alex the second time I saw the show and I was impressed with her, especially since it was the 2nd time she'd gone on. I agree with you about Kenita and Hailey.

brdway411
#520Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/27/18 at 1:45am

Best musical Bands Visit
Best musical revival My Fair Lady
Best play Harry Potter
Best play revival Boys in the Band.

boywonder14
#521Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/27/18 at 2:09am

Could Ashley Park end up our eventual winner? With 2 great performances in 1 season, she really has the right momentum for this kind of thing. She is the most stable thing about all of the precursor awards. 

Shh_413
#522Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/27/18 at 6:51am

Has there been any word if Imogen Heap's score in Cursed Child is eligible for Best Original Score or not? Because if a play is getting nominated in that thinly-spread category, it's gonna be this one.

Notreallysilent 2
#523Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/27/18 at 7:06am

Shh_413 said: "Has there been any word if Imogen Heap's score in Cursed Child is eligible for Best Original Score or not? Because if a play is getting nominated in that thinly-spread category, it's gonna be this one."

I don’t think the tony committee met on HP yet, but they will soon!!! Maybe even today hopefully!!! I really hope it is eligible but idk if it will be since a good chunk of the music was imogen heaps old music 

Shh_413
#524Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread
Posted: 4/27/18 at 8:04am

I wouldn't know since I don't know if they released the music and I haven't seen the play. She was nominated for the Olivier but they'd have different rules regarding the percentage of the music used for a show and they conflate plays and musicals in that category, so that's also something to note.

Because if she's not eligible, Best Original Score looks to be:

The Band's Visit
Frozen
Mean Girls
Spongebob Squarepants

Not a big fan of Mean Girls getting a Tony nomination for its weakest component, and I wouldn't know how Spongebob's nomination would go about. I know they nominated "various artists" for Score before for Urban Cowboy, but that was a weak-ass year for new musicals outside of Hairspray. Although I'd love the eyes of whoever's reading out the nominees to just gloss over that long list of names for Spongebob. I did not envy Jenn Colella a few days ago.